Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Post-FA* Mock

* At least a much more realistic FA mock, as we passed on the big moves.

I'm now guessing that we will only add two more players before the draft, the rumored Courtney Upshaw and a low-level possible starting CB, Sterling Moore of TB.  Then the mock goes:

1) Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama.  With the lack of a FA move, we need to get the best Center possible, which is definitely Kelly (after the combine).  Trade-down is very possible.  The other real possibility would be an edge rusher, but I'm not crazy about the fit of Ogbah or the character of Spence.  This is one of those drafts where we MUST add future cogs, and Kelly will be that.  Safe is the word of the day.  (Failing the adding of the CB in FA, I'd be really high on Eli Apple here too.)

2) Shilique Calhoun, OLB, Michigan St.  I also consider this a safe pick, due to his production over the last three years and his reputation as a solid locker room guy.  He lacks top-end closing speed, but he has favorable quickness (shuttles and cones), arm length, and hops to most of the other edge possibilities.   

3) Joe Walker, ILB, Oregon.  Many may be unfamiliar, but his fantastic PD has scouts scrambling.  He was thought of as an excellent college ILB who lacked athleticism for the NFL.  Then he ran a 4.60ish forty, ran a 6.84 3-cone, hopped 37.5 inches, and put up 23 bench press reps.  A great motor guy who is good in coverage.  I'm guessing he'll settle somewhere in Round 3.  I haven't been down on our ILBs, but coming into the season with D'Qwell instead of Freeman and Sio Moore being a FA after 2016 made me want to add another well-rounded cog for the future.

4) Joseph Thuney, OG, NC St.  I have a feeling this guy is rising.  I think he's the ideal for guard in ZBS standards.  6'5, 304, 4.86 forty, 28 bp.  Very smart and dependable, supposedly able to play all five spots, and we interviewed him at the East West Shrine.  Maybe Philbin is thinking of letting Thornton, Good, Heenan, a draftee and anyone else on the roster compete for the RG spot (especially if we land Kelly at Center).

5) Tyler Ervin, RB, San Jose St.  Had a good combine with a 4.41 forty and 39 inch vertical.  Only 192 pounds and no power element to his game, but quick to the hole and not a dancer.  Explosive (with frequent long runs) and a very good receiver. 

7) Mike Thomas, WR, Southern Mississippi.  6'1, 197 makes him a little different than three other WRs set to make the roster (Hilton, Dorsett, and Bray).  Lacks polish, but fantastic upside.  Quick with downfield speed. 

42 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Great job. I'm all in on Kelly.  Forget the edge rushers.  Fix that OL especially center.  Bill B. obviously believes fixing his OL is more important than his best Edge rusher.  You're franchise QB doesn't do you any good on the sidelines. 

Jones has one more year left on his contract and they probably won't be able to retain him after that. Also Sheard can easily handle Jones pass rushing role for them. And they got a 2nd round pick in the deal. That's why they traded him. 

13 hours ago, Archer said:

* At least a much more realistic FA mock, as we passed on the big moves.

I'm now guessing that we will only add two more players before the draft, the rumored Courtney Upshaw and a low-level possible starting CB, Sterling Moore of TB.  Then the mock goes:

1) Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama.  With the lack of a FA move, we need to get the best Center possible, which is definitely Kelly (after the combine).  Trade-down is very possible.  The other real possibility would be an edge rusher, but I'm not crazy about the fit of Ogbah or the character of Spence.  This is one of those drafts where we MUST add future cogs, and Kelly will be that.  Safe is the word of the day.  (Failing the adding of the CB in FA, I'd be really high on Eli Apple here too.)

2) Shilique Calhoun, OLB, Michigan St.  I also consider this a safe pick, due to his production over the last three years and his reputation as a solid locker room guy.  He lacks top-end closing speed, but he has favorable quickness (shuttles and cones), arm length, and hops to most of the other edge possibilities.   

3) Joe Walker, ILB, Oregon.  Many may be unfamiliar, but his fantastic PD has scouts scrambling.  He was thought of as an excellent college ILB who lacked athleticism for the NFL.  Then he ran a 4.60ish forty, ran a 6.84 3-cone, hopped 37.5 inches, and put up 23 bench press reps.  A great motor guy who is good in coverage.  I'm guessing he'll settle somewhere in Round 3.  I haven't been down on our ILBs, but coming into the season with D'Qwell instead of Freeman and Sio Moore being a FA after 2016 made me want to add another well-rounded cog for the future.

4) Joseph Thuney, OG, NC St.  I have a feeling this guy is rising.  I think he's the ideal for guard in ZBS standards.  6'5, 304, 4.86 forty, 28 bp.  Very smart and dependable, supposedly able to play all five spots, and we interviewed him at the East West Shrine.  Maybe Philbin is thinking of letting Thornton, Good, Heenan, a draftee and anyone else on the roster compete for the RG spot (especially if we land Kelly at Center).

5) Tyler Ervin, RB, San Jose St.  Had a good combine with a 4.41 forty and 39 inch vertical.  Only 192 pounds and no power element to his game, but quick to the hole and not a dancer.  Explosive (with frequent long runs) and a very good receiver. 

7) Mike Thomas, WR, Southern Mississippi.  6'1, 197 makes him a little different than three other WRs set to make the roster (Hilton, Dorsett, and Bray).  Lacks polish, but fantastic upside.  Quick with downfield speed. 

All I needed to see is the first pick, and I loved the draft. I know I have not been the only one who has been pounding the table for him, but I believe a center on one side of the ball and an ILB on the other side of the ball are so important. A center is the glue, the foundation, and I want our Mack, or Pouncey for the next 10 years to grow, work, and protect Luck. He has been and will remain my choice. If they go Ragland or ILB in the first, and Martin in the second, I would be OK with it, but I believe Kelly is so much better. It is not sexy, but it is a solid foundational pick!