Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning Will Not Restructure Or Push Back Bonus Date

WSO

I apologize if a thread has already been made on this

All credit goes to busta

http://forums.colts....an-peyton-goes/

he reported it but being a new member didnt make a thread on it

http://indiana.sbnat...ianapolis-colts

Earlier Wednesday on Sportscenter, it was announced by ESPN's Adam Schefter that Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning will not push back the $28 million roster bonus that he is due to receive on March 8th. He will not allow his contract to be restructured at all by the Colts, even after missing the entire 2011 NFL season because of an injury.

It's already been established that under the collective bargaining agreement, he can't push back the date anyway. It would be monumentally stupid of Peyton to do so even if could. He's better off being released than traded. If he were traded he doesn't have the control and the team he'd go to would be hurt by what they would have to give up.

It's already been established that under the collective bargaining agreement, he can't push back the date anyway. It would be monumentally stupid of Peyton to do so even if could. He's better off being released than traded. If he were traded he doesn't have the control and the team he'd go to would be hurt by what they would have to give up.

You're right. I just get this odd feeling that Manning wants no part of rebuilding or going forward with the changes going on. And with possibly Luck sitting there just waiting for him to retire. Just my opinion of course.

Sounds as if Peyton has drawn a line in the sand. I heard he has put his Indy home up for sale. Peyton took a lot of Mr Irsay's money last year and didn't play a down. If there was any loyalty toward Mr. Irsay, Peyton would surely have tried to work something out while the decision on whether he can play next year is made.

You're right. I just get this odd feeling that Manning wants no part of rebuilding or going forward with the changes going on. And with possibly Luck sitting there just waiting for him to retire. Just my opinion of course.

I don't know. I get the feeling that Peyton wants to be with Indy, but he wants a commitment that the Colts are his team going forward. I think you're right on with the second part of your analysis. I don't think Peyton wants another QB breathing down his neck.

So is the team....a trade would absolutely nuke our salary cap.

And I agree with ssarow.....I think Peyton is perhaps seeing a level of change where he'll welcome a release and then let his recovery dictate playing or retiring.

So he would be willing to rebuild with another team instead of here? I don't see the logic.

Sounds as if Peyton has drawn a line in the sand. I heard he has put his Indy home up for sale. Peyton took a lot of Mr Irsay's money last year and didn't play a down. If there was any loyalty toward Mr. Irsay, Peyton would surely have tried to work something out while the decision on whether he can play next year is made.

ive never heard that.

as far as loyalti...how can he be loyal when all he sees is the ream is moving on bassically on him, they are bassically saying rebuilt. he wont win a sb in a rebuilt mode team.

i do hope im wrong, i want him here and iwant him to fight for a final sb with the colts

So he would be willing to rebuild with another team instead of here? I don't see the logic.

You're making the assumption that there is not a super bowl ready team out there just needing a quarterback. Not all 31 teams are rebuilding.

Where'd you hear that? Just Google'd it and didn't find anything. Do you have a link? That wouldn't be a good sign. :(

ive never heard that.

as far as loyalti...how can he be loyal when all he sees is the ream is moving on bassically on him, they are bassically saying rebuilt. he wont win a sb in a rebuilt mode team.

i do hope im wrong, i want him here and iwant him to fight for a final sb with the colts

Irsay said its a new era but certain players, coaches, and staff will be part of the future. Irsay isn't scraping the team, he just wanted a new front office IMO.

You're making the assumption that there is not a super bowl ready team out there just needing a quarterback. Not all 31 teams are rebuilding.

I see what you are saying, but most of the SB contenders have a QB in place and would thus not likely hire PM . . . unless a team is willing to bench or part ways with their own QB, PM would likely end up on a team that is not necessarily a contender, is not very good, or is rebuilding . . . Just look at the 12 playoff teams, which team would hire PM? . . . that is the problem . . . maybe the only team might be SF, otherwise I really can't think of a playoff team that would take PM . . . not to say that PM is bad, but just that the PO teams have a solid or elite QB . . . maybe the Jets might take him and say thank you to Sanchez . . . the problem is, unless you are the '71 Cowboys :yes:, only really one QB can play, is not like we are dealing with WRs . . .

we'll see if that time will come . . .

I see what you are saying, but most of the SB contenders have a QB in place and would thus not likely hire PM . . . unless a team is willing to bench or part ways with their own QB, PM would likely end up on a team that is not necessarily a contender, is not very good, or is rebuilding . . . Just look at the 12 playoff teams, which team would hire PM? . . . that is the problem . . . maybe the only team might be SF, otherwise I really can't think of a playoff team that would take PM . . . not to say that PM is bad, but just that the PO teams have a solid or elite QB . . . maybe the Jets might take him and say thank you to Sanchez . . . the problem is, unless you are the '71 Cowboys :yes:, only really one QB can play, is not like we are dealing with WRs . . .

we'll see if that time will come . . .

Well just because you don't make the playoffs doesn't mean you are not a SB contending team. You and I both know very well of one team that is need of a QB to take them to the next level which you mentioned. Is it farfetched to think that the Broncos or Niners could use a QB upgrade? I think Harbaugh is very loyal to Alex but comparing him to Peyton Manning would be an easy choice. Smith is also a F/A next year. Tebow vs. Manning? Then there is that team the Jets. Another interesting option is the Redskins.

ESPN's Adam Schefter isnt exactly the best source for accurate news, as we have seen.

Actually Shefter is dead on but he is adding drama into it. Manning by CBA rules from what I've heard cannot restructure or push back his bonus.

Have you been around the last few years? Colts are superbowl contenders with Manning at the helm. He makes everyone around him better than they actually are. If he goes to any team in the NFL they will be SB contenders, so i'm not sure why Manning would want nothing to do with rebuilding.

And your making the assumption that because a team is rebuilding it's not a superbowl contender with Peyton Manning at QB.

And your making the assumption that because a team is rebuilding it's not a superbowl contender with Peyton Manning at QB.

Look I'm a Colts fan but even I know putting Manning back under center and not addressing other issues is not guaranteeing us a trip to the SB or even the playoffs. I don't know if you have noticed but this team has a lot of holes, a lot of key F/A's, and a new staff/coach/GM. To add onto that our divison is getting better.

Look I'm a Colts fan but even I know putting Manning back under center and not addressing other issues is not guaranteeing us a trip to the SB or even the playoffs. I don't know if you have noticed but this team has a lot of holes, a lot of key F/A's, and a new staff/coach/GM. To add onto that our divison is getting better.

We fielded a worse team in 2010-2011 and shoulda made it to the AFC champ game if it wasn't for Caldwell.

We fielded a worse team in 2010-2011 and shoulda made it to the AFC champ game if it wasn't for Caldwell.

Lets see, going into this season Wayne, Garcon, Mathis, Diem, Tamme, Saturday are all free agents. Then there are some of the low key F/A's like Gonzalez. Some likely not to return like Hughes unless they take a huge pay cut. On top of that going into this season we don't have a solid corner opposite of Powers. A question mark at the safety spot with Bullitt if he can stay healthy. Nevis showed promise but outside of Nevis we still lack a very good DT unless you consider our current DT's good. Lack of pass rushing DE's after Freeney/Mathis.

There is no way the Colts can keep Manning and re-sign all those F/A's. Some will have to go.

So you're telling me with all those potential holes, a team fielded in 2012 will be better than the one in 2010? I'm guessing you're apart of the group of fans on this board that think the Colts will be able to magically fill all those holes through F/A and draft picks. And after filling in those holes, none of the replacements will EVER get injured.

Lets see, going into this season Wayne, Garcon, Mathis, Diem, Tamme, Saturday are all free agents. Then there are some of the low key F/A's like Gonzalez. Some likely not to return like Hughes unless they take a huge pay cut. On top of that going into this season we don't have a solid corner opposite of Powers. A question mark at the safety spot with Bullitt if he can stay healthy. Nevis showed promise but outside of Nevis we still lack a very good DT unless you consider our current DT's good. Lack of pass rushing DE's after Freeney/Mathis.

There is no way the Colts can keep Manning and re-sign all those F/A's. Some will have to go.

So you're telling me with all those potential holes, a team fielded in 2012 will be better than the one in 2010? I'm guessing you're apart of the group of fans on this board that think the Colts will be able to magically fill all those holes through F/A and draft picks. And after filling in those holes, none of the replacements will EVER get injured.

Wayne is replaceable for less money on the FA market, he's really not that good.Garcon will be retained on the cheap, Mathis will be retained, Diem, Saturday and Tamme are all replaceable. Gonzalez has never made an impace in all of his time here. Hughes is a bust.

a 2012 team would be better than the 2010 one, considering all these players were on IR

Reserve Lists

Do you not recall this? Also lets not forget Freeny was injured most of the season as well.

Lets remember one big thing here, it was IRSAY that wanted to pay Manning all this money. Manning was willing to take a pay cut to make room for FA or drafts. People seem to forget that. So what would stop him from restructuring his contact to help keep others or make room. There are serveral, like Clark, that should restructure before Manning. There is room to be made for Luck. If thats who they take. I like what they had to say on NFL Network this morning.. the Colts need to keep Manning, a man who is the face of Indy, the Colts, and the NFL; his roots are deep in Indy. Give him a chance, teach the draft pick, and hopefully keep him in Indy as a coach after he is done playing. Imagine Manning being Lucks OC or QB coach.. oh, I like the sound of that!

Lets remember one big thing here, it was IRSAY that wanted to pay Manning all this money. Manning was willing to take a pay cut to make room for FA or drafts. People seem to forget that. So what would stop him from restructuring his contact to help keep others or make room. There are serveral, like Clark, that should restructure before Manning. There is room to be made for Luck. If thats who they take. I like what they had to say on NFL Network this morning.. the Colts need to keep Manning, a man who is the face of Indy, the Colts, and the NFL; his roots are deep in Indy. Give him a chance, teach the draft pick, and hopefully keep him in Indy as a coach after he is done playing. Imagine Manning being Lucks OC or QB coach.. oh, I like the sound of that!

Can't restructure twice in the same year. Bonus is due before the new football calendar year.

To me this isn't really news. People have been saying for months Peyton wasn't going to be willing to push that deadline back (if it was even possiable to start with) because from his view all you are doing is opening the door for a trade and if Peyton doesn't want to be traded why would he do that? All he would be doing is doing the Colts a favor to maybe trade him.

I think this is a very fluid situation and we are going to see a lot of things changes between now and March 8th and it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I do think since the Polians have fired that things have been trending more towards Manning leaving but I think that can change again and probably will once or twice between now and March 8th. I thought the line about the new GM saying he got a phone call from Peyton Manning and hand't returned it yet was sorta telling and I am wondering if there is some ruffled feathers there on Manning's end or if maybe the new GM is trying to send Manning a message of hey I am in charge or this team is looking to the future without you. Combined with him dodging just about any Peyton Manning question he got and clearly getting frustrated with all the Manning questions he was getting I do think people can read into that. I just don't think you put the phone call story out there unless you want it out there.

Also all the line about rebuilding, a new era, going in a different direction, and it's like 1998 aren't exactly things you want to hear if you are in the keep Peyton Manning camp or maybe even Peyton Manning himself.

I don't think Manning is going to make it easier for us to get Luck but I do think if the Colts do want to keep Manning and draft Luck he will work with him and be a professional. I take today's news as Manning's just not going to make it easy for us to replace him and nor should he. Would you make it easy for your work place to bring in your replacement which is what Andrew Luck is going to be?

Wayne is replaceable for less money on the FA market, he's really not that good.Garcon will be retained on the cheap, Mathis will be retained, Diem, Saturday and Tamme are all replaceable. Gonzalez has never made an impace in all of his time here. Hughes is a bust.

a 2012 team would be better than the 2010 one, considering all these players were on IR

Reserve Lists

Do you not recall this? Also lets not forget Freeny was injured most of the season as well.

So by replaced you are assuming that their replacements will have the same impact as the 2010 players AND better? You are also making several assumptions such as Wayne is not that good so his replacement will be able to match his 2010 numbers. You are also assuming that the O line replacements will not have any problem. Also to add in, what happens if these players get injured? You say that we can replace Tamme but if Clark gets injured next season (he has been injured 2 seasons in a row now) and in your scenario there is no Tamme then what? At least in 2010 when Clark went down, Tamme came in and put up just as good numbers. The 2010 team went 10-6 because there was depth after players that went down.

There are a lot of assumptions in your post that the replacements will be able to come in and have an immediate impact AND that there will be depth after incase they are injured.

Let me remind you that in 2010 the Colts had 4 losses of 3 points or less. That team was very good the record just didn't indicate it.

You still haven't explained how the Colts will solve secondary issues such as a CB opposite of Powers, a DT, who will the Colts add for depth after Mathis/Freeney considering Hughes is a bust. Wheeler I forgot to add is also a free agent.

Simply saying "they can be replaced" does not mean they will perform at the same level or even better. Your argument is the 2012 team will be better than the 2010 team. In that case you would have to bring back players at the same level AND more (re-signed or not).

So you want to keep free agents that have shown that they belong to 2-14 teams rather than keeping the one player that has shown he can lead your team to 10 W's every single season? Now this is what I call strange thinking.

I say get rid of a lot of our free agents (Freeney and Clark come to my mind) and surround Manning with some fresh material.

So you want to keep free agents that have shown that they belong to 2-14 teams rather than keeping the one player that has shown he can lead your team to 10 W's every single season? Now this is what I call strange thinking.

I say get rid of a lot of our free agents (Freeney and Clark come to my mind) and surround Manning with some fresh material.

Freeney and Clark aren't free agents they are under contract but both need their contracts addressed.

So by replaced you are assuming that their replacements will have the same impact as the 2010 players AND better? You are also making several assumptions such as Wayne is not that good so his replacement will be able to match his 2010 numbers. You are also assuming that the O line replacements will not have any problem. Also to add in, what happens if these players get injured? You say that we can replace Tamme but if Clark gets injured next season (he has been injured 2 seasons in a row now) and in your scenario there is no Tamme then what? At least in 2010 when Clark went down, Tamme came in and put up just as good numbers. The 2010 team went 10-6 because there was depth after players that went down.

There are a lot of assumptions in your post that the replacements will be able to come in and have an immediate impact AND that there will be depth after incase they are injured.

Let me remind you that in 2010 the Colts had 4 losses of 3 points or less. That team was very good the record just didn't indicate it.

You still haven't explained how the Colts will solve secondary issues such as a CB opposite of Powers, a DT, who will the Colts add for depth after Mathis/Freeney considering Hughes is a bust. Wheeler I forgot to add is also a free agent.

Simply saying "they can be replaced" does not mean they will perform at the same level or even better. Your argument is the 2012 team will be better than the 2010 team. In that case you would have to bring back players at the same level AND more (re-signed or not).

I'm not assuming, you saw how they performed this year with an average QB. Peyton elevates the play of all others around them. Wayne is a #2 WR at best on any other team.

We have a GM that knows how to hit the FA market, and we have draft picks. I'm not sure why you think it difficult to get average players to repalce average players.

You're right. Since Wayne and Garcon did not put up 1k+ yards and 10 Td's without Manning we should not re-sign them. No excuse there, Manning or not they should have been pro bowl receivers. That is sure a great reason to not keep them isn't it. The improvement in the run game is also null since we went 2-14. In fact every improvement we made should be null since we went 2-14.

I'm not assuming, you saw how they performed this year with an average QB. Peyton elevates the play of all others around them. Wayne is a #2 WR at best on any other team.

We have a GM that knows how to hit the FA market, and we have draft picks. I'm not sure why you think it difficult to get average players to repalce avergae players.

Why would you want to replace average players with average players? Why continue this cycle of having Manning carry the team to 10-12 wins every year to basically one and done in the playoffs or always come up short? This is a great time to build the defense for the future through the draft, address the holes over the next few seasons and set the Colts up as a well balanced team for another decade or so. Regular season wins are fine but what matters are Super Bowls.

Can't restructure twice in the same year. Bonus is due before the new football calendar year.

When did manning restructure his contract this past season? the only thing i heard was that he signed a new contract. thats not restructuring thats just signing a new one to keep from FA. even with the 28 million dollar option, if they could get manning before that option is picked up to agree to restructure his contract for the better of the team and to keep key players not to mention sign some FA defensive players or even offensive players to help out. and if im not mistaken Desean Jackson is a FA now, bring him in 4 or 5 years at 5 or 6 million a year. then sign a key LB (mario williams maybe?) for 2 or 3 years at 5 million a year. draft luck, and then from second round on, draft defensive backs and line backers. if manning wont restructure then release him, use the money you were going to give him to sign those to big pick ups i just mentioned.

idk just a thought lol. its farfetched and will never happen, but hey cant hurt to write it down lol

Well just because you don't make the playoffs doesn't mean you are not a SB contending team. You and I both know very well of one team that is need of a QB to take them to the next level which you mentioned. Is it farfetched to think that the Broncos or Niners could use a QB upgrade? I think Harbaugh is very loyal to Alex but comparing him to Peyton Manning would be an easy choice. Smith is also a F/A next year. Tebow vs. Manning? Then there is that team the Jets. Another interesting option is the Redskins.

ya, just off the top of my head, if PM was a FA, I can see Den, Wash, SF, Jets, maybe Cinn, as being teams in the mix that also would welcome PM, but otherwise the other teams are already happy with their QB, or not very strong and/or are in transition . . . so i think there are suitors out there, but not many which have the combination of being a contender and wanted to replace their QB . . .

Maybe PM will end up in NYC . . . but i think logic points to SF for me if PM was a FA, I would feel bad for Smith who seems to have come on this year . . .

To be honest i dont think hughes is really a bust. when he was with TCU they ran a 3-4 defense so he played OLB but in the DE position. maybe if they dropped Hughes back to a LB position he may improve? its just an option. im not buying that hughes is a bust yet. he hardly plays, so until i see him play a full season or more then 2 or 3 games im not going to concider him a bust. but i do think if he is moved to a LB position he would be better off then at DE. he has a LB build not a DL build. although freeney and mathis are about the size of hughes, they both have the speed and athleticism to get around the offensive line while playing DE. Hughes is not explosive off the line, as for line backer he could be quicker on his feet. again its just a thought and my opinion

To me this isn't really news. People have been saying for months Peyton wasn't going to be willing to push that deadline back (if it was even possiable to start with) because from his view all you are doing is opening the door for a trade and if Peyton doesn't want to be traded why would he do that? All he would be doing is doing the Colts a favor to maybe trade him.

I think this is a very fluid situation and we are going to see a lot of things changes between now and March 8th and it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I do think since the Polians have fired that things have been trending more towards Manning leaving but I think that can change again and probably will once or twice between now and March 8th. I thought the line about the new GM saying he got a phone call from Peyton Manning and hand't returned it yet was sorta telling and I am wondering if there is some ruffled feathers there on Manning's end or if maybe the new GM is trying to send Manning a message of hey I am in charge or this team is looking to the future without you. Combined with him dodging just about any Peyton Manning question he got and clearly getting frustrated with all the Manning questions he was getting I do think people can read into that. I just don't think you put the phone call story out there unless you want it out there.

Also all the line about rebuilding, a new era, going in a different direction, and it's like 1998 aren't exactly things you want to hear if you are in the keep Peyton Manning camp or maybe even Peyton Manning himself.

I don't think Manning is going to make it easier for us to get Luck but I do think if the Colts do want to keep Manning and draft Luck he will work with him and be a professional. I take today's news as Manning's just not going to make it easy for us to replace him and nor should he. Would you make it easy for your work place to bring in your replacement which is what Andrew Luck is going to be?

I don't know the "ins and outs" of the new CBA, but I was listening to Sirius Radio and they were interviewing Mularky about Gabbert. And he stated that he had talked to Gabbert, but made sure he did it before he actually signed his contract so he would not be breaking one of the new CBA offseason player contact rules. I do not know if this rule applies to our situation or if it applies to GM's, but maybe this is why Grigson has not contacted.Manning.

Of course Manning can not push back the March 8th date, but I believe that he has not healed enough yet to not be a risk for the Colts or any other team to pick him up. With 28 million coming your way if your healthy, it seems he would be letting the world know that he is ready for football. I believe that he will become a free agent and use the next several months to heal enough for the Colts or say the Jets to present him a fat contract. That is up to the day the teams have to make decisions on releasing people. What is that date? This drama could go on for a while.

Of course Manning can not push back the March 8th date, but I believe that he has not healed enough yet to not be a risk for the Colts or any other team to pick him up. With 28 million coming your way if your healthy, it seems he would be letting the world know that he is ready for football. I believe that he will become a free agent and use the next several months to heal enough for the Colts or say the Jets to present him a fat contract. That is up to the day the teams have to make decisions on releasing people. What is that date? This drama could go on for a while.

March 8th

he basically has under 2 months to show the Colts he is "28 million dollars" healthy

if the colts let PM go (or not give him the bonus making him a FA) this would mean that PM could go to any team that he desired! Right?

well my point is could the colts do that and then sign him as a FA for a more cap friendly deal?

just a question i don't know the answer to this