Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't be a GM be a MG~sort of.......

Crunked

Thread title disclaimer: For those that remember the car lovingly dubbed the MG Midget~ a tiny British car that had a penchant for breaking down when you needed it most

I don't really get hung up on Mock Drafts, they are fun and interesting, mostly head scratching to read and follow. I don't get hung up on player evaluations and rankings either, I don't get any access to coaches film, highlight cut ups and the next pro day of a player that I attend will be my first...I hope they serve complimentary  beer and nacho's.....but what I do, is try to assemble in my mind what the Colts need. I guess I don't act as a "general" manager....I consider myself a MANAGING general. (tongue firmly in cheek).

Starters Needed: OLB (rush), C, G, DB..............Starters Wanted: ILB, S, TE, RB...........If you do the quick math (and that's the only kind I abdicate) that is (8) positions of need and (6) draft picks in which to acquire them.....now as we cut into the deeper levels of thinking, most would agree never in the history of drafts has a team drafted ALL starters...so the reality is if we get 3-4 starters in any given draft, well that was a darn good draft. So, that leaves us just a bit short of filling out our laundry list. So without regard to personnel, which (4) of the positions listed above, if push came to shove would you "run what you brung" or the low dollar/low draft pick/UDFA equivalent there of?  What does your list look like?

For me, I have tipped my hand, I would run what I brung with the "Starters Wanted" list.........and hope to the football GOD's we nail every position on the Need's list....

Well they seem pretty content with geathers starting on the other side of Adams this year so I think you can mark safety off. And with Doyle and allen with hopefully swoop I think you can mark TE off. We have gore at running back so picking a later round RB for second or third string would work out fine. Out of C or G I don't think the colts will draft both positions in one year I think they pick one of the other having 2 rookies start there is awfully risky

There is no way that everything position of need is going to addressed in this draft. So with that being said, Grigs should and will look at BPA available most likely in round one. After that, I think he will focus solely on the defense and hopefully a RB. Just my two cents. With the lack of FA signings this year, I`m more excited to see how this draft unfolds for us Colts faithful.

4 hours ago, crunked said:

Thread title disclaimer: For those that remember the car lovingly dubbed the MG Midget~ a tiny British car that had a penchant for breaking down when you needed it most

I don't really get hung up on Mock Drafts, they are fun and interesting, mostly head scratching to read and follow. I don't get hung up on player evaluations and rankings either, I don't get any access to coaches film, highlight cut ups and the next pro day of a player that I attend will be my first...I hope they serve complimentary  beer and nacho's.....but what I do, is try to assemble in my mind what the Colts need. I guess I don't act as a "general" manager....I consider myself a MANAGING general. (tongue firmly in cheek).

Starters Needed: OLB (rush), C, G, DB..............Starters Wanted: ILB, S, TE, RB...........If you do the quick math (and that's the only kind I abdicate) that is (8) positions of need and (6) draft picks in which to acquire them.....now as we cut into the deeper levels of thinking, most would agree never in the history of drafts has a team drafted ALL starters...so the reality is if we get 3-4 starters in any given draft, well that was a darn good draft. So, that leaves us just a bit short of filling out our laundry list. So without regard to personnel, which (4) of the positions listed above, if push came to shove would you "run what you brung" or the low dollar/low draft pick/UDFA equivalent there of?  What does your list look like?

For me, I have tipped my hand, I would run what I brung with the "Starters Wanted" list.........and hope to the football GOD's we nail every position on the Need's list....

I owned a 1971 MG Midget. British racing green. Every so often the contacts on the voltage regulator would weld themselves together. I always carried a spare voltage regulator in my trunk. I also learned how to repair the burnt up regulators. I also learned how to start the engine with a dead battery by putting it in reverse, putting my leg out the driver's door, pushing the light car backward as fast as I could with my foot and then popping the clutch. It never failed.

From Grigs' statements over the course of the last several weeks, I get the impression that he is not optimistic about getting a rush OLB in FA or the draft. Perhaps that's why they didn't release Trent Cole.

If the Colts don't like any of the rush OLBs available at 18, I think they might go CB if there is one that they particularly like for press coverage. I am hoping that Ryan Kelly might still be available in rd2. If not him then Nick Martin, Whitehair or Joshua Garnett.

4 hours ago, twfish said:

Well they seem pretty content with geathers starting on the other side of Adams this year so I think you can mark safety off. And with Doyle and allen with hopefully swoop I think you can mark TE off. We have gore at running back so picking a later round RB for second or third string would work out fine. Out of C or G I don't think the colts will draft both positions in one year I think they pick one of the other having 2 rookies start there is awfully risky

They are looking for Adams eventual replacement. the guy isn't getting any younger and was ravaged by injuries last year. not to mention our safety depth is pretty non-existent

On March 15, 2016 at 8:02 AM, ProblChld32 said:

They are looking for Adams eventual replacement. the guy isn't getting any younger and was ravaged by injuries last year. not to mention our safety depth is pretty non-existent

I don't think we take a S this year unless someone falls into our lap day 3. We signed couple of guys that can fly at the end of last year. 

I want to see Southward. He was the 67th overall pick from Wisconsin in the 2014 draft. He was in Atlanta where they tried to make him a CB. He's an atheltic freak 6' 211lbs ran 4.35 40. I'm guessing we put him back home at S. 

Aikeem Davis is another 6' 1 201lb  kid ran a 4.37 40 from Memphis. We will give a look at S too. If nothing else we are half way to having a great relay team 

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

I don't think we take a S this year unless someone falls into our lap day 3. We signed couple of guys that can fly at the end of last year. 

I want to see Southward. He was the 67th overall pick from Wisconsin in the 2014 draft. He was in Atlanta where they tried to make him a CB. He's an atheltic freak 6' 211lbs ran 4.35 40. I'm guessing we put him back home at S. 

Aikeem Davis is another 6' 1 201lb  kid ran a 4.37 40 from Memphis. We will give a look at S too. If nothing else we are half way to having a great relay team 

I think they will look at Safety day two IMO, while it isnt a pressing concern it is still a concern.  

2 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I think they will look at Safety day two IMO, while it isnt a pressing concern it is still a concern.  

You think we go S in the 2nd or 3rd round? I think we go Edge CB OL the first 3 rounds. We have already said our focus is going to be on the interior of the OL and pass rush.

Grig's has an interview where he talks about CB's importance to the pass rush. He also talks about Smith taking over the slot and the young guys on the back end no one knows but will. That's Southward and Davis IMO. Mitchel could beck I think we are drafting a #2 CB in this draft. 

Hopefully we get an EDGE rusher like Floyd, Spence, or Lawson at 18. Then a Guard and Center in the 2nd and 3rd. Whitehair will probably be gone, so Garnett or Ifedi at guard, and then Nick Martin or Christian Westerman, for Center. If we hit in the first 3 rounds with those 3 positions it would drastically improve our football team. Then maybe with our 4th rounder we can get RB like Dixon, Perkins, Collins, or Prosise to split carries with Gore for a year and then take over after he leaves. That would be a pretty great scenario. To have 4 guys come in and contribute right away. Jalen Mills wouldn't be a bad pick if he's there in the 4th either btw.

59 minutes ago, akcolt said:

You think we go S in the 2nd or 3rd round? I think we go Edge CB OL the first 3 rounds. We have already said our focus is going to be on the interior of the OL and pass rush.

Grig's has an interview where he talks about CB's importance to the pass rush. He also talks about Smith taking over the slot and the young guys on the back end no one knows but will. That's Southward and Davis IMO. Mitchel could beck I think we are drafting a #2 CB in this draft. 

FA isnt over yet, i think they pick up a CB there and play it out. Blake from the Steelers is still available. I think They go in this order by round OL, OLB, S.