Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Winners of Week One of Free Agency....

NewColtsFan

5 teams,  and 3 of them come from the AFC South.

Guess which team in the South DIDN'T make the list?    

Now, to be fair,  the story does note that often the winner of free agency do NOT do well come the regular season.    That's important to remember!

Click and scroll.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644275/article/raiders-top-list-of-five-franchises-on-the-rise

Lol this is a joke.

Houston: I will reserve judgement on the Miller and Allen signing but signing BO to 18 a year was really really dumb 

Jacksonville: They WAY overpaid for some players. Jackson should have gotten like 8m tops and he got 15.

Tennessee: I'm sorry but DeMarco Murray doesn't scare me. He was always a below average back that looked good one year behind the Cowboys OL.

I'm not scared of the South.

To even call a winner in free agency is premature in any case. Only time will give those answers. Too many times we have seen teams stock up on free agents just to fall flat. Some just cant grasp there is a reason most of these players become free agents. Age, under performing, greed and cost are just a few things that cause free agents. Locker room cancer or as some call chemistry can also play a factor.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

To even call a winner in free agency is premature in any case. Only time will give those answers. Too many times we have seen teams stock up on free agents just to fall flat. Some just cant grasp there is a reason most of these players become free agents. Age, under performing, greed and cost are just a few things that cause free agents. Locker room cancer or as some call chemistry can also play a factor.

Teams not being able to afford every single good player on their roster is also a common reason free agency exists. I have no clue why you guys suddenly think signing free agents and making your team better is a bad thing. Maybe it's because your GM hasn't made a noteworthy pick-up at all to this point? Teams can and do get better when free agency comes, and we can't forget that the draft is right around the corner.

1 minute ago, QwizBoy said:

Teams not being able to afford every single good player on their roster is also a common reason free agency exists. I have no clue why you guys suddenly think signing free agents and making your team better is a bad thing. Maybe it's because your GM hasn't made a noteworthy pick-up at all to this point? Teams can and do get better when free agency comes, and we can't forget that the draft is right around the corner.

It's not a point of 'us' fans thinking anything. It's more the case of realizing reality. As far as Grigson not making what you call a noteworthy free agent signing I am sure there is a plan. He said before the free agent window opened he wasn't going in that direction. Now that you team has made a couple of free agent moves and the Colts haven't you feel the need to make it a point? It has yet to be determined if your team has improved at all. Teams on paper don't always turn out so well.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not a point of 'us' fans thinking anything. It's more the case of realizing reality. As far as Grigson not making what you call a noteworthy free agent signing I am sure there is a plan. He said before the free agent window opened he wasn't going in that direction. Now that you team has made a couple of free agent moves and the Colts haven't you feel the need to make it a point? It has yet to be determined if your team has improved at all. Teams on paper don't always turn out so well.

I don't feel the need to make a point of anything. I just think some on here are hypocritical is all. Sure, teams improving on paper don't always turn out well...but it's 50/50 right now and I'm sure my team will be okay. If not, it's only football, right? 

1 minute ago, QwizBoy said:

I don't feel the need to make a point of anything. I just think some on here are hypocritical is all. Sure, teams improving on paper don't always turn out well...but it's 50/50 right now and I'm sure my team will be okay. If not, it's only football, right? 

Fandom in itself is hypocritical. I hope you didn't just now realize that?  The off season multiplies it. No matter if you have a positive attitude or a doom and gloom attitude it's like you say. It's only football.

11 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Lol this is a joke.

Houston: I will reserve judgement on the Miller and Allen signing but signing BO to 18 a year was really really dumb 

Jacksonville: They WAY overpaid for some players. Jackson should have gotten like 8m tops and he got 15.

Tennessee: I'm sorry but DeMarco Murray doesn't scare me. He was always a below average back that looked good one year behind the Cowboys OL.

I especially love all the hype Murray is getting for going to the Titans.  He showed he needs an elite OL to be a good RB, and Tennessee doesn't have that.  Also consider that their head coach is Mike Mularkey and I'm not worried about them for a second.  Houston and Jacksonville are other stories.  I really like Lamar Miller.  As for Jacksonville, yes, they overpaid.  But they still added good talent to their team.  With Bortles and the Allen boys on offense and all the talent they added on defense, they could be ready to take that next step and contend for the division title.  With that said, I expect them to run into a lot of trouble in a few years when they need to re-sign Bortles and the Allen boys

8 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

i respect your post and you have a very valid point, but seriously 18 mil a year for a guy who has started 7 games in the NFL and got benched for Manning who arguably was playing worse. Denvers D made Brock look good, his only solid credentials are that he played on the same team as Manning that is managed by Elway so maybe he learned something, but seriously you guys took a massive gamble on Brock, either it will out well and he will compete with Luck and the up and comers Mariota and Bortals or it will be a massive disaster, about 50/50 IMO

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

See 2015 Colts....projected to be in the Superbowl, ended missing playoffs at 8-8 lol

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

i respect your post and you have a very valid point, but seriously 18 mil a year for a guy who has started 7 games in the NFL and got benched for Manning who arguably was playing worse. Denvers D made Brock look good, his only solid credentials are that he played on the same team as Manning that is managed by Elway so maybe he learned something, but seriously you guys took a massive gamble on Brock, either it will out well and he will compete with Luck and the up and comers Mariota and Bortals or it will be a massive disaster, about 50/50 IMO

This is about more than the Osweiler deal. My point is that signing free agents isn't a football sin like some people want to pretend it is. 

3 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

yea well my post is about the Osweiler deal

Idk why you felt the need to quote the post you quoted, then. This isn't a Brock Osweiler thread lol. And I disagree with everything you said save for the 50/50 part. But that's just my opinion.

14 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Idk why you felt the need to quote the post you quoted, then. This isn't a Brock Osweiler thread lol. And I disagree with everything you said save for the 50/50 part. But that's just my opinion.

lol your the only texan fans who frequents here i felt i needed to say something lol, how can you disagree with what i sayd, your saying he is a proven QB in this league and deserved the 18 mil you guys paid him?

26 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Hey, Q, are you feeling good about your team? I like some of the moves your team made. I like Miller a lot. I think $18MM for Brock may get your GM fired. Let's see how that works. 

What do the Texans fans think about the new players?

18 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol your the only texan fans who frequents here i felt i needed to say something lol, how can you disagree with what i sayd, your saying he is a proven QB in this league and deserved the 18 mil you guys paid him?

I really wasn't trying to make this thread about me when I commented on it, but if you want to talk about it, then sure. I disagree with the notion that the Broncos defense created Osweiler. Talib didn't throw touchdowns and Miller didn't direct the offense down the field lol. I do agree that paying so much for an unproven guy is a gamble, but we'll see. 

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Hey, Q, are you feeling good about your team? I like some of the moves your team made. I like Miller a lot. I think $18MM for Brock may get your GM fired. Let's see how that works. 

What do the Texans fans think about the new players?

Everyone I've spoken to about it are thrilled. Of course, the QB is getting the most attention, naturally. People are feeling good about Os. He individually texted every player on the team and let them know he was going to be the most prepared guy on the field and was ready to work. He learned a thing or two from Manning, it seems. Of course this could all come crashing down, but I don't think it'll come to that. At least I hope not, or Smith could finally get relieved of his duties. 

3 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I really wasn't trying to make this thread about me when I commented on it, but if you want to talk about it, then sure. I disagree with the notion that the Broncos defense created Osweiler. Talib didn't throw touchdowns and Miller didn't direct the offense down the field lol. I do agree that paying so much for an unproven guy is a gamble, but we'll see. 

It's really the only possible good move you guys could make because your team has Bad QB's. RG3 would've been worse IMO. I am not a big Brock fan but he is better than what you had.

6 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

nah i dont want to talk, but i have to say i think brock was absolutely the product of Denvers D, he looked like a backup in all the games he started, a mediocre game manager if that, he put up the least amount of points out of any starting qb in the nfl in the time span he started. Even 40 year old hassleback did better for us lol

5 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Everyone I've spoken to about it are thrilled. Of course, the QB is getting the most attention, naturally. People are feeling good about Os. He individually texted every player on the team and let them know he was going to be the most prepared guy on the field and was ready to work. He learned a thing or two from Manning, it seems. Of course this could all come crashing down, but I don't think it'll come to that. At least I hope not, or Smith could finally get relieved of his duties. 

DeAndre Hopkins is better than DT or Sanders in Denver, Lamar Miller is better than any RB that the Broncos have, Brock Osweiler is set up to succeed here. Now, the pressure is on him because there is no luxury of waxing and waning for Bill O' Brien, no guy to dip into the bench the first sign of trouble not because there won't be bodies around but he is forced to give a long leash at this point.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's really the only possible good move you guys could make because your team has Bad QB's. RG3 would've been worse IMO. I am not a big Brock fan but he is better than what you had.

It wasn't the only move, but I think it was the best. I prefer Brock over any rookie QBs coming to Houston and trying to win games. I also didn't like our chances getting the guy we wanted sitting at no.22. What's funny is that BOB tried to trade for Brock when he first got here too, apparently. He finally got the guy he wanted.

9 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

nah i dont want to talk, but i have to say i think brock was absolutely the product of Denvers D, he looked like a backup in all the games he started, a mediocre game manager if that, he put up the least amount of points out of any starting qb in the nfl in the time span he started. Even 40 year old hassleback did better for us lol

Yeah, you want to talk. Otherwise you wouldn't have derailed this thread. Where was old man Hasslebeck while Brock was getting his first SB ring? Brock's contributions to Demver and their playoff seeding say enough about how he should be perceived. He'll do just fine playing with a monster defense and what should be a superb rushing attack in Houston.

3 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

It wasn't the only move, but I think it was the best. I prefer Brock over any rookie QBs coming to Houston and trying to win games. I also didn't like our chances getting the guy we wanted sitting at no.22. What's funny is that BOB tried to trade for Brock when he first got here too, apparently. He finally got the guy he wanted.

It will be interesting to see how this move pans out for you guys.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

DeAndre Hopkins is better than DT or Sanders in Denver, Lamar Miller is better than any RB that the Broncos have, Brock Osweiler is set up to succeed here. Now, the pressure is on him because there is no luxury of waxing and waning for Bill O' Brien, no guy to dip into the bench the first sign of trouble not because there won't be bodies around but he is forced to give a long leash at this point.

Yep...with a big contract like Brock's, he's going to be the guy on the field for a long time. This isn't a Mallett-Hoyer situation where either guy could be on the bench after picks. I like the commitment to what could be a franchise guy, and it should be exciting to see how he fares for a full season as a first-time starter.

9 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Yeah, you want to talk. Otherwise you wouldn't have derailed this thread. Where was old man Hasslebeck while Brock was getting his first SB ring? Brock's contributions to Demver and their playoff seeding say enough about how he should be perceived. He'll do just fine playing with a monster defense and what should be a superb rushing attack in Houston.

sorry to break it to you man but Brock is going to suck as bad a Hoyer and Mallet except this time you guys payed him 18 mil haha

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

sorry to break it to you man but Brock is going to suck as bad a Hoyer and Mallet except this time you guys payed him 18 mil haha

I guess that means he's going to win the division too. Since those guys who sucked did lol. And this is where I stop...I'm not gonna get dragged into another one of these useless forum arguments about teams. I'd rather let the players themselves do the talking when the season starts. 

6 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

I guess that means he's going to win the division too. Since those guys who sucked did lol. And this is where I stop...I'm not gonna get dragged into another one of these useless forum arguments about teams. I'd rather let the players themselves do the talking when the season starts. 

maybe you should go to the texans forum then lol

8 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

To the Colts defense we didn't have Andrew playing in that last matchup, we will see how it pans out this upcoming season. The Patriots just signed Chris Long.

18 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Just ignore him, Q. He's baiting you. :troll:

Glad that you are excited about your team.  Your division looks much stronger now. It is too bad that the Vikes have to play the AFC South when the division is much improved. Lol.

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Glad that you are excited about your team.  Your division looks much stronger now. It is too bad that the Vikes have to play the AFC South when the division is much improved. Lol.

and a Viking fan lol, what did they shut down your forum?

15 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

maybe you should go to the texans forum then lol

Maybe you should let the senior members pull QuizBoys chain? We pretty much know this is an open forum. We are old hands at pulling each other chain and have gotten way past taking it personal. lmao

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe you should let the senior members pull QuizBoys chain? We pretty much know this is an open forum. We are old hands at pulling each other chain and have gotten way past taking it personal. lmao

yes you are right, i couldnt help myself lol.. i know it wasnt warranted, sorry Quiz all in fun nothing personal..

23 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Hell, we would have to be improved to stand a chance against teams like the Vikings and Green Bay lol. Those two teams really fought it out last season for that division. I know the Vikes defense is scary and they're offense will probably be even more explosive after the draft. Will be interesting seeing Teddy go against the team that nearly drafted him lol.

18 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Hell, we would have to be improved to stand a chance against teams like the Vikings and Green Bay lol. Those two teams really fought it out last season for that division. I know the Vikes defense is scary and they're offense will probably be even more explosive after the draft. Will be interesting seeing Teddy go against the team that nearly drafted him lol.

Lol. Thankfully the Vikes drafted him. :D Do you think O'Brien wanted Teddy?

As for winners of Free Agency, I like what the Raiders and the Jets have done. Hopefully the Jets can re-sign Fitz. I love Matt Forte and think he will be a very good player in that offense.

As for my team, we re-signed almost all the free agents we wanted back. And we signed a few complementary players from other teams. The only big signing we made was Alex Boone. That's okay.  We need to save money to re-sign many of the guys we drafted 3-4 years ago, like Harrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes. We're feeling optimistic and looking forward to the draft.

21 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Lol this is a joke.

I agree. Murray is an overrated runner, but he is an underrated receiver. If they open up the offense, he could pose a problem as a receiver out of the backfield. But if TN is determined to run like a traditional back, then I think they are going to be disappointed.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Lol. Thankfully the Vikes drafted him. :D Do you think O'Brien wanted Teddy?

As for winners of Free Agency, I like what the Raiders and the Jets have done. Hopefully the Jets can re-sign Fitz. I love Matt Forte and think he will be a very good player in that offense.

As for my team, we re-signed almost all the free agents we wanted back. And we signed a few complementary players from other teams. The only big signing we made was Alex Boone. That's okay.  We need to save money to re-sign many of the guys we drafted 3-4 years ago, like Harrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes. We're feeling optimistic and looking forward to the draft.

Oh yeah, no doubt in my mind O'Brien wanted him. As did every other Houstonian who thought he was falling to the second round haha 

I also think the Jets and Raiders did pretty good for themselves in free agency, and also Jax even though they spent a lot of money. The Raiders I think have a strong chance to wrestle the division away from the Broncos, especially if they don't resolve the QB situation. Fitz I think could end up staying with Chan Gailey in New York, it's the best fit for him. 

And yeah you're right, free agency doesn't always have to be abou the big, juicy signings. Retaining players and adding complementary guys is a nice way to save money and add the pieces you need while keeping familiarity.