Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are we that spoiled?

SaturdayAllDay

Guys there has been nothing but OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!!  Posts lately. It's getting old. We have missed the playoffs ONCE since Pagano and Grigson took over. How is this an issue? Most teams fans would kill for results like we have been getting. There are only 5 Teams that have been more successful then us over the last four years. We are also tied with another team for making the playoffs, so that means we are better then 25 Teams in the grigson Era. How is this terrible??

Yes I get that grigson had done stupid things, but so has every gm. 

Do we have holes to fill? Absolutely.  But we are going about this the smart way. We only have so much money this offseason, and a TON next year. As far as I can tell the front office is gearing up for a HUGE offseason next year. We will have a lot of our core talent locked up by then, plus we will have 72 million to spend, as well as a few comp picks for what we lost this year. Add in our draft this year and next year,  and we can be set for a long time. Teams like Seattle, NE,  GB and Baltimore have had their success because they run their teams like this every year. You almost never see these teams make big deals in free agency,  especially day one. Teams that make big free agent splashes are perennial losers like Oakland and Dallas.  I'd rather bank on the strategy that NE uses over Dallas. 

Am I convinced grigson will make proper decisions when the time comes? Absolutely not. He has not proven he can make good draft picks or good decisions for free agents. BUT I see that the structure of the team is changing. This is a group effort now, and Grigson isn't going to have as much say as he did. 

I really think we all need to take a step back and think about how our team is doing in relation to the league and realize that things could be way worse. Calm down, actually wait and see what this new structure is going to do. At least wait til the draft is over before we start claiming we are getting the first pick in next year's draft. For a team this successful, we shouldn't have so much negatively from our fans. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you feel better. Clearly you have enjoyed beating up on the AFC South these last 4 years.
 Thanks for all the knowledge.

We had the $$$ to grab a couple MORE really nice additions to long term deals that would have improved the team this year, and likely for many years to come.
 I know i have watched a lot of Bad football the last 4 years and have not at all been impressed with our player development.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Hope you feel better. Clearly you have enjoyed beating up on the AFC South these last 4 years.
 Thanks for all the knowledge.

We had the $$$ to grab a couple MORE really nice additions to long term deals that would have improved the team this year, and likely for many years to come.
 I know i have watched a lot of Bad football the last 4 years and have not at all been impressed with our player development.

I agree there are a few pieces we can fill this offseason,  but high $$ free agents almost never work out. We still have lots of time to see these holes filled. 

Am I impressed with the player development here? Absolutely not. but we just redid a lot of our staff here. That fact seems to go over a lot of heads here. They only see the two names at the top and assume everything will be the same. Lets maybe give the new guys a chance before condemning them. I'm by no means saying I'm happy with our team, but we are months away from week one and people are already writing this season off. Let's lay off a bit and see what the plan is before we claim the sky is falling.

I will take it farther. Since the 2003 Season we have had only 3 seasons where we haven't won at least 11 games = 2010, 2011, and last season. We have made 4 Final 4's from 2003-2015, meaning we are in the AFC Title game every 3 years on Average. OK a lot of it was Peyton but with Luck we have 3 11 win seasons and a Final 4 as well. More importantly we have a SB Championship to celebrate which was within the last 10 seasons = 2006 so it's not even like that is ancient like the Bears winning in 1985 LOL.

I wouldn't say spoiled. I think our expectations are a bit too high and maybe people are more hopeful than realistic. On paper, we have the worst roster in our division. Obviously it's going to be a long term rebuilding if we want to get to that Super Bowl level and people are just frustrated with the current process.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I've been saying this since free agency started. Grigson is an incompetent, joke of a GM.

I know me and you rarely agree on things 100%. He isnt good by any stretch,  but he isn't as bad as everyone says.  Lots of Teams have cap issues,  we aren't one of them,  despite having a ton of misses on free agents and draft picks. No I am not sold on Grigson’s ability to find talent, but with the recent change in office I think he has less of a say in the matter. If the people around him find better talent, and he keeps us out of cap problems like he has been, then we are going somewhere. I will not say I support grigson, but with all the changes they deserve one offseason before I start calling for people's heads.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Pelley said:

I wouldn't say spoiled. I think our expectations are a bit too high and maybe people are more hopeful than realistic. On paper, we have the worst roster in our division. Obviously it's going to be a long term rebuilding if we want to get to that Super Bowl level and people are just frustrated with the current process.

I agree on paper we don't look great,  but we have time to fix that. Getting mad before we are done is shortsighted.  like I originally said I think even if we have to wait, it will be next offseason that we fix the team and get back to superbowl contenders. One year is peanuts to wait compared to most teams. Complaining about having to wait one season to be super bowl contenders, compared to Browns fans or Raiders fans, comes off as extremely spoiled. 

5 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I know me and you rarely agree on things 100%. He isnt good by any stretch,  but he isn't as bad as everyone says.  Lots of Teams have cap issues,  we aren't one of them,  despite having a ton of misses on free agents and draft picks. No I am not sold on Grigson’s ability to find talent, but with the recent change in office I think he has less of a say in the matter. If the people around him find better talent, and he keeps us out of cap problems like he has been, then we are going somewhere. I will not say I support grigson, but with all the changes they deserve one offseason before I start calling for people's heads.

What kills me is when guys like Caset Hayward are signing for 15 million dollars, and we didn't go all out to sign him. I know something was up with Free, but there's no excuse for us not addressing a single issue thus far. The way I see it is if we brought in a CB, G, and C in free agency and then had a good draft, then we would've been. Maybe the best team in the NFL next season. But as it stands. We haven't done anything to make the team better. We just have to hope to God we can find a pass rusher, a Guard, and a Center in the draft who can all come in, start, and play at a high level  from day 1. And that we have a few surprise breakouts. Like D'Joun Smith, David Parry, or Zach Kerr, and Clayton Geathers

2 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I agree on paper we don't look great,  but we have time to fix that. Getting mad before we are done is shortsighted.  like I originally said I think even if we have to wait, it will be next offseason that we fix the team and get back to superbowl contenders. One year is peanuts to wait compared to most teams. Complaining about having to wait one season to be super bowl contenders, compared to Browns fans or Raiders fans, comes off as extremely spoiled. 

I want to win just as much as everyone but it doesn't happen every season. Since 2003 we have had the 2nd best Franchise out of 32 teams only behind the Patriots regarding overall wins. Having said that, I get the past is the past so lets roll with the future as in we have Andrew and the Draft to look forward too. Fun times to me.

Just now, COLTS449 said:

What kills me is when guys like Caset Hayward are signing for 15 million dollars, and we didn't go all out to sign him. I know something was up with Free, but there's no excuse for us not addressing a single issue thus far. The way I see it is if we brought in a CB, G, and C in free agency and then had a good draft, then we would've been. Maybe the best team in the NFL next season. But as it stands. We haven't done anything to make the team better. We just have to hope to God we can find a pass rusher, a Guard, and a Center in the draft who can all come in, start, and play at a high level  from day 1. And that we have a few surprise breakouts. Like D'Joun Smith, David Parry, or Zach Kerr, and Clayton Geathers

Freeman left because we slapped that tender on him last year as far as I can tell. Otherwise he would have stayed for the same amount of money (which we reportedly offered him before free agency) that he got.

As far as Hayward,  you can look through my posts and see I just posted I'm not happy about that one. 

Again I'm not saying I support what is happening. I'm saying wait to see the whole picture before we complain.  Come June I might be clamoring for grigsons head just like everyone else. But for now I will give them a shot. 

8 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Freeman left because we slapped that tender on him last year as far as I can tell. Otherwise he would have stayed for the same amount of money (which we reportedly offered him before free agency) that he got.

As far as Hayward,  you can look through my posts and see I just posted I'm not happy about that one. 

Again I'm not saying I support what is happening. I'm saying wait to see the whole picture before we complain.  Come June I might be clamoring for grigsons head just like everyone else. But for now I will give them a shot. 

If I don't agree with his Draft then I may bash a little (sarcasm). Having said that a lot of people in here have their different views on how we should Draft from what I have been reading from the diehard Draft people in here. I like players like Ogbah and Floyd and others don't, hell some think we should take Elliot if is there at 18?

20 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Getting done? Name me one thing  this off season Grigs has done to improve the colts, just one?  

25 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

And no we aren't spoiled. We're underachieving.  I'm a die hard UK basketball fan, so I know what being spoiled is. Just a lowly rated 5 star player isn't good enough. Its 3 or 4 top 10 players or bust.

Think about this for a minute. The Colts and Wildcats have the same amount of Championships since the 2000's began (1), same amount of Final 4's as well (4).

17 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Gross.

You an IU guy? I'm one of the very, VERY few true UK fans who roots for IU when we aren't playing them. UK in college Basketball, Atlanta Braves in MLB, Indiana Pacers in NBA, and the COLTS in the NFL are my teams.

I dont think its spoiled per say. I think some posters are just uninformed with the understanding of how football works and expect success to be a formality so because they cant form an opinion themselves, they listen to the propaganda created by the media and instill that to be their uneducated opinion when the team doesnt do what the media(aka a dummy with a pen that doesnt do his homework) says is the problem. enter jvan and newcoltsfan to knock me down a peg because I said something against the grain

33 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

You keep trying to compare to Browns and Raiders ... why use that as a comparison? We should be striving to be talked about as being on the same level and having the same expectations as the Pats, GB, Pitt, etc ...

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

You an IU guy? I'm one of the very, VERY few true UK fans who roots for IU when we aren't playing them. UK in college Basketball, Atlanta Braves in MLB, Indiana Pacers in NBA, and the COLTS in the NFL are my teams.

I know this Post wasn't addressed to me but I like KY because I have an uncle that lives and breathes KY basketball but I am an IU fan. Having said that I haven't followed College Basketball near as much since Bobby Knight left IU. I am more of a Pro Basketball fan but I enjoy the tournament in general.

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I dont think its spoiled per say. I think some posters are just uninformed with the understanding of how football works and expect success to be formality so because they cant form an opinion themselves, they listen to the propaganda created by the media and instill that to be their uneducated opinion when the team doesnt do this that and the other. enter jvan and newcoltsfan to knock me down a peg

Lol this though, count this a second like because you couldn't be more right. It's part of the reason I'm not involved in as many discussions as I used too because it's not even worth arguing with some people

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Getting done? Name me one thing  this off season Grigs has done to improve the colts, just one?  

Cut  AJ and Werner  restructured Jones and Cole.  Resigned AV    all those were good moves. And I am not a Grigson fan

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Guys there has been nothing but OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!!  Posts lately. It's getting old. We have missed the playoffs ONCE since Pagano and Grigson took over. How is this an issue? Most teams fans would kill for results like we have been getting. There are only 5 Teams that have been more successful then us over the last four years. We are also tied with another team for making the playoffs, so that means we are better then 25 Teams in the grigson Era. How is this terrible??

Yes I get that grigson had done stupid things, but so has every gm. 

Do we have holes to fill? Absolutely.  But we are going about this the smart way. We only have so much money this offseason, and a TON next year. As far as I can tell the front office is gearing up for a HUGE offseason next year. We will have a lot of our core talent locked up by then, plus we will have 72 million to spend, as well as a few comp picks for what we lost this year. Add in our draft this year and next year,  and we can be set for a long time. Teams like Seattle, NE,  GB and Baltimore have had their success because they run their teams like this every year. You almost never see these teams make big deals in free agency,  especially day one. Teams that make big free agent splashes are perennial losers like Oakland and Dallas.  I'd rather bank on the strategy that NE uses over Dallas. 

Am I convinced grigson will make proper decisions when the time comes? Absolutely not. He has not proven he can make good draft picks or good decisions for free agents. BUT I see that the structure of the team is changing. This is a group effort now, and Grigson isn't going to have as much say as he did. 

I really think we all need to take a step back and think about how our team is doing in relation to the league and realize that things could be way worse. Calm down, actually wait and see what this new structure is going to do. At least wait til the draft is over before we start claiming we are getting the first pick in next year's draft. For a team this successful, we shouldn't have so much negatively from our fans. 

7 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Cut  AJ and Werner  restructured Jones and Cole.  Resigned AV    all those were good moves. And I am not a Grigson fan

I know this wasn't directed at me ... but I don't know if fixing your previous mistakes (AJ & Werner) really count as things Grigson can hang his hat on.  Cole at a reduced rate ... meh ...color me unimpressed.  Restructuring Jones was a good thing and needed done IMO ... but it was more of a required roster maintenance thing than a "good move" per se. 

Just now, esmort said:

I know this wasn't directed at me ... but I don't know if fixing your previous mistakes (AJ & Werner) really count as things Grigson can hang his hat on.  Cole at a reduced rate ... meh ...color me unimpressed.  Restructuring Jones was a good thing and needed done IMO ... but it was more of a required roster maintenance thing than a "good move" per se. 

The question was what has Grigs done to improve the Colts this off season and had he not done these things the team was in much worse shape.  Cutting players that were mistakes are smart moves.  No one can hit 100% and they have to cut their losses...   These were good moves that improved the team.

4 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

The question was what has Grigs done to improve the Colts this off season and had he not done these things the team was in much worse shape.  Cutting players that were mistakes are smart moves.  No one can hit 100% and they have to cut their losses...   These were good moves that improved the team.

Technically maybe ... but really how often do you get credit for correcting your own mistakes ... especially when the correction does not nearly make up for the screw up (Werner). This seems like grasping at straws for something good to say about Grigson.

Last year we splurged out big time in FA and everyone was predicting that we would make the SB.  This year we have sat on the sidelines and everyone is predicting doom and gloom.  Be patient people--spending huge in FA rarely, if ever, works.  We have $25m in cap space--the Jags have at least 3 times that amount.

It would have been nice to get a quality FA or 2, but definitely NOT at the prices some went for.  We still have quite a few young unproven guys who hopefully will step up this year, and I'm looking forward to the draft--you build for the future via the draft, not FA (taking other team's rejects at inflated prices is a recipe for disaster)

4 minutes ago, esmort said:

Technically maybe ... but really how often do you get credit for correcting your own mistakes ... especially when the correction does not nearly make up for the screw up (Werner). This seems like grasping at straws for something good to say about Grigson.

Again not a Grigson fan, but I am reasonable. 

Everybody keeps saying we splurged in FA last year, and won FA. I don't get that. We signed 3 old, over the hill guys, and Langford. Splurging would have been signing 3-4 impact players in their prime. Like what the NY Giants did this year.

2 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Again not a Grigson fan, but I am reasonable. 

I consider myself reasonable, but I am not going to give someone credit for fixing something they screwed up to begin with when the fix doesn't even come close to making up for the original mistake, and they do nothing else to make up the difference. 

5 minutes ago, esmort said:

I consider myself reasonable, but I am not going to give someone credit for fixing something they screwed up to begin with when the fix doesn't even come close to making up for the original mistake, and they do nothing else to make up the difference. 

Its like starting a fire and then throwing a bucket of water on it and expecting everyone to call you a hero. 

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Everybody keeps saying last year we splurged in FA last year, and won FA. I don't get that. We signed 3 old, over the hill guys, and Langford. Splurging would have been signing 3-4 impact players in their prime. Like what the NY Giants did this year.

^^^

This ... even though Grigson spent a bunch of money in FA he still tried to bargain hunt ... instead of just paying the money for a couple of the right younger QUALITY FAs.  Did we really save money or did we spend the same amount and end up with non-impact FAs when it was all said and done.

42 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

But how did those moves improve the team? We still have the same crappy o line and crappy linebackers. No improvement there at all. Also, can't fill every hole with the draft.  Plus what good players we did have, we've let walk....fleener, lowery and freeman

7 minutes ago, esmort said:

^^^

This ... even though Grigson spent a bunch of money in FA he still tried to bargain hunt ... instead of just paying the money for a couple of the right younger QUALITY FAs.  Did we really save money or did we spend the same amount and end up with non-impact FAs when it was all said and done.

Yep. Parnell McPhee and Rodney Hudson to go with Kendall Langford and Frank Gore would have been more like splurging. And would have helped our team a whole lot more last year and in the next few. Also. I said all last offseason we should take a flyer on Brian Orakpo. Everybody disagreed. Why? He was young and a dominant pass rusher when he was healthy. He wasn't great this year, but he had 7 sacks that we could have really used.

Upon reading some of the anti-fixes not contained by what the Colts have laid out, what are the solutions with the now sustained protocol? If the new coaching regime and draft isn't the answer for the future of the team, what is? I haven't seen one plan laid out by anyone for a better fix.

So, let's hear it from the naysayers. What exactly is your plan other than the present course of action the organization has chosen? I'm all ears.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Signed Allen, tendered Doyle. Cut werner, restructured Jones and Cole. All of these moves leave us better off then if we hadnt. Are you seriously trying to argue that we would be better off with only swoope on the roster at TE?? 

Oh BTW we also signed 11 new coaches. 

Not saying they have done much, but again it's early. Let's see what they are doing before we start calling this offseason a failure.

26 minutes ago, esmort said:

^^^

And if wanted a veteran wide out. Why didn't we try to trade for Brandon Marshall instead of Dre???

1 hour ago, esmort said:

You keep trying to compare to Browns and Raiders ... why use that as a comparison? We should be striving to be talked about as being on the same level and having the same expectations as the Pats, GB, Pitt, etc ...

So then why is everyone losing their minds when we adopt their strategy towards free agency? 

Also we have made the playoffs more then the Steelers since grigson came here. We are more successful then one of the teams you want our expectations to be for. And yet we do nothing but complain. Lots of Teams would be pumped to be doing as well as us. I think all the negative comments are a bit if an overreaction. 

47 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I think many people are of the opinion that the Colts have won despite Grigson NOT because of Grigson.  And if you think that is just a fans perspective, you are wrong.

While I agree that we have done well despite him,  as he has swung and missed way more often then not, but I think we could be in a way worse situation if he wasn't such a cap expert. With the new additions to the staff I think (hope) that he had less of a say and is more around to keep our cap in Check, which we can all agree he's done a good job in doing. I might be wrong but I think we should wait and see before making a verdict.