Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would Peyton have retired if he knew Oz was leaving?

dgambill

Just a question...it seemed like he still wanted to play but it seemed teams weren't going to sign him for one year and choosing to go the younger route. I'm sure he would had to take a pay cut (like say 10 million maybe incentives again for AFC AND SB Championships again) but if the Broncos knew Oz was gone and they weren't landing a quality starter do you think they or Peyton would have come back for one more year?? I honestly think he might have come back for another run and let the Broncos draft a replacement. Thoughts?? And Yes...its a slow news day lol.

Probably, yes. Regardless of Denver's next QB, I think Peyton came to grips with the fact he's nowhere near the level he's accustomed to playing. He always said when he didn't feel like he could contribute at an elite/very high level that he would retire.

He only played at a very high level once or twice in the past year and a half. Prime example being that Green Bay game. Elite/very high level of play had become the exception instead of the norm. If anything, he was often a detriment (along with the rest of the offense aside from Sanders) with costly INT's and poor throws that kept other teams in games that should have been blowouts, or at least well put away. A large blame goes on drops, garbage blocking and Kubiak's system, but Peyton deserves plenty of the blame, too.

That being said, he's still a better option for DEN than all of these free agents apart from maybe Fitz. He should unretire and sign for vet min while riding that D to three more championships, but I doubt he would.

I will say this no matter who they get now, Peyton would be better. If they don't get someone like Fitz or Kaep they are screwed. They aren't winning a SB with an Average QB, isn't happening. Peyton was Above Average to Good against the Pats. Mike Golic thinks Peyton would've played 1 more season had he known Brock would be gone. 99% of the media and fans thought the whole purpose of Denver pushing Peyton out was to let a young Brock take over. Very strange that Brock didn't get re-signed. Here's a question that hasn't been asked, does anyone think that Elway was pushing Peyton out because Peyton was starting to become a Bronco favorite? Elway has a huge ego and had he kept Peyton 1 more season and Peyton won another SB, then a lot of people very well could have chose Peyton as being the better Bronco QB. Elway is known as the best Bronco ever, just a thought!

I have to believe the writing was on the wall.........  meaning that Elway and company must have known Brock was not coming back, by his ignoring phone calls, etc... (that is not the action of a team player or someone choosing to stick around)   and chances are that was all discussed with Peyton prior to his decision.

Peyton's decision to retire, was his and his alone.   I think he knew before the SB that he was going to retire.  JMO

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Elway has a huge ego and had he kept Peyton 1 more season and Peyton won another SB, then a lot of people very well could have chose Peyton as being the better Bronco QB. Elway is known as the best Bronco ever, just a thought!

Some at Denver Post already have

Kiszla: Why Peyton Manning was the best QB to wear a Denver uniform

ECERPT LONG ARTICLE 

John Elway is the greatest player in Broncos history.

But Manning is the best quarterback to wear a Denver uniform.

On the Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks, Manning joins Joe Montana, Otto Graham and Johnny Unitas. You have a different idea? Cool. Grab a chisel and carve your own mountain

( and quite  short video on his  audibles,  -are few short videos back to back to back etc - in first game ever as Bronco, he gets flushed out of pocket by LB timmons, at the half he tells the coaches he saw so & so & hes changing symbles and if see it again will throw a bubble screen to DT,  , in 3rd qrter he sees the alignment , does his thing at the line, Throws the bubble screen & DT goes 71 yards for the TD ) 

Here's a small snippet of life with Manning I won't forget: Broncos president Joe Ellis, leaning against a wall in the hallway, and sincerely thanking No. 18 for “raising all boats” with his professionalism and obsessive attention to detail, establishing a gold standard that had a real, big impact from the equipment room to the board room at the team's Dove Valley headquarters.

And could any Broncomaniac have asked for a wilder ride during the four seasons Manning worked in Colorado?

From his first game wearing a Denver uniform, when he threw a touchdown pass against Pittsburgh, it was a pleasure to watch a master at work.

His first TD with the Broncos resulted from a halftime adjustment made when Manning detected a presnap tip-off for a Steelers blitz during the second quarter. As Demaryius Thomas raced to the end zone on a 71-yard score, there was Manning glancing toward the Broncos sideline with a shrug of his shoulders and palms upturned, silently informing Denver coaches: Told you it would work! Manning saw a different game than everybody else in the NFL, and nobody saw it with greater clarity.

It was defiance that defined the greatest trait of Manning: mental toughness.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_29602811/kiszla-peyton-manning-says-goodbye-nfl-best-qb-wear-denver-uniform

Yes.....     I think Peyton still would've retired.    His mind and heart may still want to play,   but his body would not let him anymore.

Plus,  the team Peyton would be returning to would not be nearly as good as the one he left.    So, his chances of repeating as a SB champ were dramatically smaller.

And....   the Broncos would want Peyton to take another pay cut....    they've got serious cap problems.

That all adds up to retiring now.....    and it's for the best.    He gets every players fantasy -- to retire as a champion!      Doesn't get better or sweeter than that!

46 minutes ago, bayone said:

Some at Denver Post already have

Kiszla: Why Peyton Manning was the best QB to wear a Denver uniform

ECERPT LONG ARTICLE 

John Elway is the greatest player in Broncos history.

But Manning is the best quarterback to wear a Denver uniform.

On the Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks, Manning joins Joe Montana, Otto Graham and Johnny Unitas. You have a different idea? Cool. Grab a chisel and carve your own mountain

( and quite  short video on his  audibles,  -are few short videos back to back to back etc - in first game ever as Bronco, he gets flushed out of pocket by LB timmons, at the half he tells the coaches he saw so & so & hes changing symbles and if see it again will throw a bubble screen to DT,  , in 3rd qrter he sees the alignment , does his thing at the line, Throws the bubble screen & DT goes 71 yards for the TD ) 

Here's a small snippet of life with Manning I won't forget: Broncos president Joe Ellis, leaning against a wall in the hallway, and sincerely thanking No. 18 for “raising all boats” with his professionalism and obsessive attention to detail, establishing a gold standard that had a real, big impact from the equipment room to the board room at the team's Dove Valley headquarters.

And could any Broncomaniac have asked for a wilder ride during the four seasons Manning worked in Colorado?

From his first game wearing a Denver uniform, when he threw a touchdown pass against Pittsburgh, it was a pleasure to watch a master at work.

His first TD with the Broncos resulted from a halftime adjustment made when Manning detected a presnap tip-off for a Steelers blitz during the second quarter. As Demaryius Thomas raced to the end zone on a 71-yard score, there was Manning glancing toward the Broncos sideline with a shrug of his shoulders and palms upturned, silently informing Denver coaches: Told you it would work! Manning saw a different game than everybody else in the NFL, and nobody saw it with greater clarity.

It was defiance that defined the greatest trait of Manning: mental toughness.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_29602811/kiszla-peyton-manning-says-goodbye-nfl-best-qb-wear-denver-uniform

My Mount Rushmore would be Unitas, Montana, Brady, Peyton. No disrespect toward Graham because he won a lot of Championships but not playing in the SB era IMO hurts him. Brady should be on that instead. To my original point, it seemed like Elway was anxious to push Peyton out which was odd to me. It seemed like by his attitude and body language that he wanted him gone. Perhaps he thought Brock re-signing was a given, who knows? Peyton wasn't Great last season but when it comes to beating the Elite teams and Playoff time he will be sorely missed. Peyton led teams beat the Steelers, Pats, and Panthers. Yes I understand the Defense played out of their mind but Peyton's presence on Offense was huge. Denver wont Repeat and I would bet my house on it. They wouldn't of Repeated with Brock either. Fitz gives them the best shot at it but I cant even picture him hoisting a Lombardi no matter how great the Defense is. QB's like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson winning the SB happen twice in 50 years and Repeating is extremely tough.

Just now, Gramz said:

No....  what they said was they were giving Peyton all the time he needed to make his decision.

if you look up articles during his decision, youd see other teams predicting peyton would play for. the broncos didnt have any plans to bring him back

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

if you look up articles during his decision, youd see other teams predicting peyton would play for. the broncos didnt have any plans to bring him back

haha   Yeah, a lot of stuff was printed and predicted. Don't you you know you can't always believe everything you read?

However,  Peyton never said a word until he made his decision, and Elway and Company continually said  they were giving him all the time he needed to see what he wanted to do.   In the end,  they were right, the other articles were not.

1 minute ago, Gramz said:

haha   Yeah, a lot of stuff was printed and predicted. Don't you you know you can't always believe everything you read?

However,  Peyton never said a word until he made his decision, and Elway and Company continually said  they were giving him all the time he needed to see what he wanted to do.   In the end,  they were right, the other articles were not.

well now the broncos have crap at QB so im sure they would more then welcome peyton back since hes still under contract if he still wants to play

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

Just a question...it seemed like he still wanted to play but it seemed teams weren't going to sign him for one year and choosing to go the younger route. I'm sure he would had to take a pay cut (like say 10 million maybe incentives again for AFC AND SB Championships again) but if the Broncos knew Oz was gone and they weren't landing a quality starter do you think they or Peyton would have come back for one more year?? I honestly think he might have come back for another run and let the Broncos draft a replacement. Thoughts?? And Yes...its a slow news day lol.

Yes and No. He wouldnt have retired if the Broncos wanted to keep him but they didn't.

He and Kubiak struggled with what the offense should be.

Peyton probably still wants to play now. But circumstances conspired to make in almost impossible.

If we was going to play another year it would not have been with the Broncos, im pretty sure Elway made it clear his days in Denver were done, from what i recall the 2 teams that showed interest were the Rams and Texans...more so the Rams, which are both teams that go against what he wanted (not to play in the NFC and not in the AFC South), im sure that these two things had a lot to do with him deciding he was done. Where else could he have went? Cleveland ? Jets? Neither of those teams are winning a Superbowl any time soon barring a miracle. (maybe the Jets but highly unlikely)

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Yes and No. He wouldnt have retired if the Broncos wanted to keep him but they didn't.

He and Kubiak struggled with what the offense should be.

Peyton probably still wants to play now. But circumstances conspired to make in almost impossible.

I disagree, Mark.   Not with the part about him still wanting to play  I agree with that,   I'm sure in a perfect world he would have loved to continue,  but I also think after this past season deep down he knew he couldn't go through another season.

You know how I feel.....  He's my favorite player ever, and I loved  loved loved watching him all these years, but I also don't believe he would have stayed healthy through another entire season.    Two years ago he was pretty beat up by the end of the season, and well this year he'd never have made it to the SB if not for taking time off to rest and get healthy those 6 or 7 weeks.     It was time.   I know it.   You know it and Peyton knew it too.

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

well now the broncos have crap at QB so im sure they would more then welcome peyton back since hes still under contract if he still wants to play

Well I'm not a lawyer but I would think that once you retire your contract would be null and void so to speak. :dunno: Maybe  someone on here that has legal knowledge could answer this. @OffensivelyPC  Thanks in advance for your answer friend. 

16 hours ago, Gramz said:

I disagree, Mark.   Not with the part about him still wanting to play  I agree with that,   I'm sure in a perfect world he would have loved to continue,  but I also think after this past season deep down he knew he couldn't go through another season.

You know how I feel.....  He's my favorite player ever, and I loved  loved loved watching him all these years, but I also don't believe he would have stayed healthy through another entire season.    Two years ago he was pretty beat up by the end of the season, and well this year he'd never have made it to the SB if not for taking time off to rest and get healthy those 6 or 7 weeks.     It was time.   I know it.   You know it and Peyton knew it too.

There's truth to that...but I;m not sure

To be honest, I'm suspecting that I don't know all that's wrong with Peyton physically....

The note about the future hip replacement it is said he needs indicates something other than the foot and neck issues we've discussed for years..

I still think he;d have come back if Denver needed him..because he really seemed to like his teammates.

But this last year was bad..even though they won. You may be right

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here is another curve ball hypothetical question from left field:

If the current Broncos QB goes down during mid-season, does Elway give Peyton a call?

No. Elway wouldn't. He has a great perspective for where Manning was in his career and he could tell just as much as anyone that Peyton was at the end of the tunnel. 

No to the OP's question as well.

Manning is a very self-aware guy. He's made it known that he didn't want to be the guy who hanged on too long and tarnished his legacy. This was the perfect way for him to go out.

4 hours ago, Susie Q said:

Well I'm not a lawyer but I would think that once you retire your contract would be null and void so to speak. :dunno: Maybe  someone on here that has legal knowledge could answer this. @OffensivelyPC  Thanks in advance for your answer friend. 

No broncos still have his rights because his contract isn't up. He's currently on their reserved retired list so if Peyton wanted to come back this season, he would play for the broncos

If I was Peyton I give them the ol middle finger for forcing me out. Elway wanted Brock and so did their mindboggling fanbase so I would say see ya, it's been fun! Their fanbase doesn't appreciate Peyton like we do, hell they wanted Tebow back after Peyton laid an egg in SB 48. For such a great franchise , their fanbase isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I was Peyton I give them the ol middle finger for forcing me out. Elway wanted Brock and so did their mindboggling fanbase so I would say see ya, it's been fun! Their fanbase doesn't appreciate Peyton like we do, hell they wanted Tebow back after Peyton laid an egg in SB 48. For such a great franchise , their fanbase isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

This isn't correct. The Broncos didn't force Manning out. They in all likelihood knew (like the rest of the world) that Manning was going to retire. Their fan base has been very appreciative of Manning and a lot of them know their prominence the past few seasons has been in large part because of him. Will the love ever run as deep as Colts fans have for Manning? Likely no.

6 minutes ago, Restored said:

This isn't correct. The Broncos didn't force Manning out. They in all likelihood knew (like the rest of the world) that Manning was going to retire. Their fan base has been very appreciative of Manning and a lot of them know their prominence the past few seasons has been in large part because of him. Will the love ever run as deep as Colts fans have for Manning? Likely no.

Go to the Broncos website and read their Posts, they wanted Peyton gone and talked all kind of great stuff about Brock. This is why I now go to other teams websites to read their posters Posts because of Posts like yours. If you read the Posts over there roughly 75% of their fans didn't even want Peyton playing and wanted Brock playing going into the Playoffs, it may have been more 80%. Elway never once said he wanted Peyton back and he offered Brock 15 Mill.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Go to the Broncos website and read their Posts, they wanted Peyton gone and talked all kind of great stuff about Brock. This is why I now go to other teams websites to read their posters Posts because of Posts like yours. If you read the Posts over there roughly 75% of their fans didn't even want Peyton playing and wanted Brock playing going into the Playoffs, it may have been more 80%. Elway never once said he wanted Peyton back and he offered Brock 15 Mill.

I'm glad we take web forums and comment sections as the end all be all for how we should view a fan base. I can only imagine what some opposing fans think of Colts fans when they read this forum..

1 minute ago, Restored said:

I'm glad we take web forums and comment sections as the end all be all for how we should view a fan base. I can only imagine what some opposing fans think of Colts fans when they read this forum..

I don't

In real life, most people I encounter are pretty easy going about their fandom.  At least around here. They're also less well informed and that's fine by them.

3 minutes ago, Restored said:

I don't but when you have a fanbase that has Peyton Manning and nearly 80% of your fanbase wants Brock playing in the Playoffs I am going to question that. I am also going to question when a fan would rather have Tebow over Peyton. I think that is normal.

3 hours ago, Susie Q said:

@CR91 is correct.  The contract is "tolled" in legal terms.  When he comes back, the contract kicks back in as if he were never retired.  That opens up another Pandora's box of consequences and whatnot, but suffice it to say, legally speaking, the contract is not terminated or null and void once you retire.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Go to thea fBroncos website and read their Posts, they wanted Peyton gone and talked all kind of great stuff about Brock. This is why I now go to other teams websites to read their posters Posts because of Posts like yours. If you read the Posts over there roughly 75% of their fans didn't even want Peyton playing and wanted Brock playing going into the Playoffs, it may have been more 80%. Elway never once said he wanted Peyton back and he offered Brock 15 Mill.

People who post on Forums are a small group Of the overall fan base.  And those that post the most often, or the equivalent of speaking the Loudest are not necessarily the voice of the people.  You, of all people, should know that by some of the trolls that used to be here.

And for the record, everything I have read from Broncos fans, with the exception of a few mouthy ones has been praise and appreciation.

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

@CR91 is correct.  The contract is "tolled" in legal terms.  When he comes back, the contract kicks back in as if he were never retired.  That opens up another Pandora's box of consequences and whatnot, but suffice it to say, legally speaking, the contract is not terminated or null and void once you retire.

Thanks I knew you would know. I for one don't see him puling a Farve and coming back but what do I know. haha  I think he made his final decision when he retired. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't but when you have a fanbase that has Peyton Manning and nearly 80% of your fanbase wants Brock playing in the Playoffs I am going to question that. I am also going to question when a fan would rather have Tebow over Peyton. I think that is normal.

Outlandish comments don't reflect the majority of a fanbase. Just because a troll on an internet forum thinks Tebow needs to be starting over Peyton Manning doesn't mean everyone else thinks this way.

Imagine for a second that we were sitting here with Peyton and Andrew as our QB's. Let's say our situation played out like this year did with Denver (Luck plays for a hurt Manning, Manning comes back in for playoffs). Imagine how this forum would react...

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

@dgambill who knows? He really really really likes to play football so, anything is possible.  I don't see him taking a pay cut though.

Like I said...he might restructure incentive based one like he did last year. I agree his mind was made up...but I also think it was made up because he didn't have an alternative outside Denver to play that appealed to him perhaps (starting over). However if he thought he could come back to the Broncos and be the man without hindering Brock I think he may have made a different choice possibly.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That's very true...on a website...but everyone heard that crowd go nuts in the second half when he stepped in for Brock against the Chargers...few were upset then for sure. I'd say the website hardcore fanatics aren't your typical fans (kinda like us). They love their John Elway like we love our Peyton and nothing is good enough for them or will convince them Peyton brought them a tremendous amount of success. It's true they didn't want him playing...but it's also true that 100% of them were happy to win the SB and while the defense carried them most are happy Peyton led them and wouldn't change a thing. I think most of them realize that most the free agents and the growth of the team was a big part contributed to Peyton setting a tone and his leadership upon arriving in Denver. They wouldn't have won a SB without Peyton coming that is pretty well certain by all...even if it came in his worst season there. Most had the same narrative that we had here for a long time....star wars numbers but couldn't get it done in the big game....well that was dismissed..and he rides off to cheers instead of jeers.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Peyton comes back and is healthy, Denver Repeats. Simple as that, without Peyton they wont win the Division, it will be KC and the Raiders might be just as good.

Thank you.

I keep hearing about how Denver 'carried' Peyton to the title.  Not true

If he does not come in cold against San Diego, and spark them to win, Denver is the '5' seed..they go to NE (if they reach the AFC final) and lose.

Not everybody understands that a QB cant always be judged by numbers

4 hours ago, coltsforlife said:

he probably couldnt even get out of bed the next day after games 

CFL..that thought bothers me..because its probably very true..

..He's eventually going to need a hip replacement which means time in a wheelchair and crutches

if everything goers well.....

If Peyton hasn't gotten feeling back in his hand....I don't know if he ever will..

....the foot injury he has probably heals on its own...but if not..that's another surgery.

Like most ex-NFL players...he has injuries that will last for life..

He paid the cost to be the boss

7 hours ago, Restored said:

Outlandish comments don't reflect the majority of a fanbase. Just because a troll on an internet forum thinks Tebow needs to be starting over Peyton Manning doesn't mean everyone else thinks this way.

Imagine for a second that we were sitting here with Peyton and Andrew as our QB's. Let's say our situation played out like this year did with Denver (Luck plays for a hurt Manning, Manning comes back in for playoffs). Imagine how this forum would react...

It isn't just Trolls that wanted Peyton gone or not playing, it was a large part of their base. I went over and read a ton of their Posts. They have thousands of people that Post over there and they preferred Brock over Peyton was my main point. I get your point though and if it was just 2 or 3 people trolling it would be different. I know when someone is trolling and how a fanbase feels in general. Their fans don't appreciate him like we do. By the way I agree with a lot of your Posts but I am just giving you info on how a lot of their fanbase feels. By reading 1000's of posts on a team website from thousands of fans gives you an idea. When someone comes here to read all of our Posts, they are naturally going to leave thinking we all here respect Peyton. I didn't get that same feeling after reading and leaving the Denver website.