Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerrell Freeman is Chicago bound

Blackhawk4

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, krunk said:

So that's the Colts fault that he didn't accept the deal? Time is of the essence. That's what happens in negotiations. It's called leverage.

Did I blame either side in this? No. Why you're trying to pin this on someone I don't know, but there's no reason to try and blame someone or put someone in a negative light for this. 

19 hours ago, GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE said:

I don't like this move. . But let's take an optimistic look at this. .... This time last yr I remember us having the same problem on dline.. getting rid of depth and what was impact players.   Then turns out our d lounge was the bright spot of our defense.. just something to think about

It really isn't anything to think about. 

18 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't re-sign your own players.  You can build through the draft and re-sign players whose contracts have expired, especially when they're good players and could be apparently had for cheap.

No, we need to trade our players every year for picks and rhen draft all 53 players every year. Should have traded Luck after his rookie year. 

53 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

They're building a good defense....if they van get help on the corners, they could get out of last place.

I liked Freemen.,..he played well for us...and the money he signed for isn't a lot..

...When a guy leaves a playoff team (which I think we are) for a non-playoff team and its not about money or going 'home', I wonder what it is about

It was said at some point in this thread true or false that the Colts after some time pulled the offer off the table. The same exact deal that he signed with Chicago. Guess he was left with no alternative. It's a negotiation, you can't keep running back and forth to other teams trying to get a higher offer and fully expect the original offer will rise or stay on the table. Time is of the essence.

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

So Grig's offers Freeman the exact amount he can get on the open market. Freeman thinks he can get more. He turns it down and ends up in Chicago on the same deal. How is Grig's the *? He offered Freeman a fair deal. 

I don't understand all the crying about this creating another hole. Both Moore and Irving are younger and should be ready to go this year. I liked what I saw out of Slyvestre and Hererria last year. 

We need to start looking for DQ's replacement unless we think Moore and Irving are the future.

Not only that, but someone mentioned that this same offer was on the table before the Free Agency period.

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

They're building a good defense....if they van get help on the corners, they could get out of last place.

I liked Freemen.,..he played well for us...and the money he signed for isn't a lot..

...When a guy leaves a playoff team (which I think we are) for a non-playoff team and its not about money or going 'home', I wonder what it is about

From what I heard so far, I think Grigson offered Freeman 4 million before free agency and he declined so Grigson decided to move on no matter what and didn't attempt to resign him after free agency started. 

On 3/11/2016 at 2:58 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Get younger....so we re-structure Cole to keep him, and keep DQ?  But let Freeman go?

Are Cole and Freeman signed on for four more years?  The situations aren't anywhere near the same.  

On 3/11/2016 at 4:40 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

We didn't do it because ILB is not a (1) premium position, (2) easily replaceable, and (3) losing him will net us a comp pick next year.

Do you think a compensatory pick is worth losing a player that was one of the better players on your defense? (Serious question)

Given that the FO wants to build through the draft, do you believe the Colts would trade down to acquire additional picks? One possible scenario: Trading your first round pick for the Rams' two second round picks (#43 & #45) and, say, their 6th or 7th round pick? 

@NFLfan I wanted to get back to you on this but they shut the other thread down and I couldn't use the quote function for whatever reason to copy a quote from a different thread on my phone.

Freeman was a good player, but he was, by and large, not an impact player, and at a position where you can replace with starters in later rounds (look at all the 3-4 ILBs that Denver has been churning out of later rounds, Brandon Marshall and Danny Trevathan, a 5th and 6th round pick, among them).  Our former-very-own Jerrell Freeman came from CFL.  It's about the most economical use of your resources.  By letting go of Freeman, we net future value that is adequate to draft a suitable replacement, while spending smart so we can retain the people that impact games, which Freeman was not.  If our DL is as good as we want it to be, we will be able to let speedy coverage guys do well in the pass game while still be able to roam more freely and not get eaten up at the line of scrimmage.  Case in point - and I hate to keep going back to Denver given how good their line was, but it is the same thing for teams like DEN, SF and SEA - when your DL is keeping blockers occupied, you can make average ILBs look like world beaters and cover a lot of their weaknesses.  

To your last paragraph - I hope we do not trade down, but I could see us moving a few spots down if the right guy isn't there and we can maximize the value of our 1st rounder.  I really don't like the idea of trading our first for two 2nd round picks.    Initially I was in the small group that wanted us to trade up (and if the right guy is there, I'd still advocate for it), but given how quiet we've been in FA so far, moving up may not be the best idea.  We'll see.

18 hours ago, wig said:

Are Cole and Freeman signed on for four more years?  The situations aren't anywhere near the same.  

Right, but if you want to save money and get younger (which I assume Irsay meant he want to do this year, seeing as how it doesn't make sense to say "we want to get younger in the future"), cutting Cole and DQ would be great ways to go about it.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Right, but if you want to save money and get younger (which I assume Irsay meant he want to do this year, seeing as how it doesn't make sense to say "we want to get younger in the future"), cutting Cole and DQ would be great ways to go about it.

Keeping them gives Grigs another year to find a younger replacement that he likes as opposed to getting rid of them and having to settle for replacements he doesn't care for. 

Just because you want to get younger doesn't mean you go and cut everyone over 30 before you have an appropriate player in place. 

16 hours ago, wig said:

Keeping them gives Grigs another year to find a younger replacement that he likes as opposed to getting rid of them and having to settle for replacements he doesn't care for. 

Just because you want to get younger doesn't mean you go and cut everyone over 30 before you have an appropriate player in place. 

I see it differently.  Cutting them gives you cap space to bring in younger, better talent.  I'm not advocating we cut everyone over 30.  I'm advocating we cut players who are old and have a big cap hit (eg. Cole and DQ)

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I see it differently.  Cutting them gives you cap space to bring in younger, better talent.  I'm not advocating we cut everyone over 30.  I'm advocating we cut players who are old and have a big cap hit (eg. Cole and DQ)

Okay, now go ahead and tell which players could be brought in on a one year contract that are younger, better and don't cost anymore.

2 hours ago, wig said:

Okay, now go ahead and tell which players could be brought in on a one year contract that are younger, better and don't cost anymore.

Two guys I really liked were Nigel Bradham and Derrick Shelby.  As for ILB, I would have preferred to cut DQ and re-sign Freeman, though I am aware of the reports about how the negotiations went with Freeman

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Two guys I really liked were Nigel Bradham and Derrick Shelby.  As for ILB, I would have preferred to cut DQ and re-sign Freeman, though I am aware of the reports about how the negotiations went with Freeman

Again, signing Freeman for another 4 years and keeping Jackson for one more aren't the same thing. 

I think it's obvious at this point that they are looking for compensatory picks for next year, as well as positioning themselves for a FA splash next year. Then they will have enough money to get who they really want. 

You're complaining that they aren't going after guys who are no better than what we have.  

43 minutes ago, wig said:

Again, signing Freeman for another 4 years and keeping Jackson for one more aren't the same thing. 

I think it's obvious at this point that they are looking for compensatory picks for next year, as well as positioning themselves for a FA splash next year. Then they will have enough money to get who they really want. 

You're complaining that they aren't going after guys who are no better than what we have.  

I think Bradham and/or Shelby would have been much better than what we have in Cole.  It's a moot point now, I guess