Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your picks at running backs

It's becoming clearer and clearer that the colts will take a running back this draft I'm just not sure how high. I'm curious to see who you guys like. My top running backs would be

1. Ezekiel Elliot. I think he has elite balance great hands and blocks great. Not a huge fan of how he hits the holes and I deeply doubt if he falls to 18 we pick him up but I think he's the best back in the draft.

2. Alex collins. I think he hits the hole great with minimal hesitation and has very good vision along with decent hands. I haven't watched enough of his pass blocking to get a good idea on it. I beleive having his former RB coach that he performed very well under would be a big reason for the colts to take him hopefully in the third but I feel like he will go in the second.

3. Devonta Booker. Another powerback that hits the hole hard with above average vision and plays very physical. Steady hands and would love him in the 4th round.

Then there's backs I wouldn't touch

1. Derrick Henry. First I'm not a fan of backs with alot of success out of Alabama and he looks to big and slow for my eye test so a pass.

2. C.j Prosise. He has relatively good hand but he dances and hesitates way to much for me running into the hole. Being that he's relatively new to the running back position he could probably be coached up but I'd rather plug someone in immediately incase our aging RB goes down

I'm not gonna list Elliott because he's a 1st rounder, and I don't want us to draft a RB in the first. And I'm not a fan of Henry at all. But as for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I like Alex Collins, Jordan Howard, Paul Perkins, Kenneth Dixon, Jonathan Williams, and CJ Prosise.  Then here's a guy I really like a lot and I hope he falls to the 6th, 7th, or even better undrafted........Keith Marshall. I'd love to have Marshall. I think if he can stay healthy he can be a major steal in this draft. I love Paul Perkins. would love to see him fall to the 4th, and he could. It just depends on how teams view him. If we'd make a couple moves in free agency. Like getting a C or G and a corner we'd be able to draft a good back in the 4th.

CJ Prosise is the guy I want. He should be available in the 4th making him a good value. He's a converted receiver so he can catch the ball out of the backfield and has room to grow as a runner. 

Our offense was much more efficient with a RB we could dump the ball off to. I think that Prosise could be very good catching those dump offs and getting yac. 

i was a fan of Elliot at #1, but with no signings in FA we need ALOT in the draft and RB is definetly not one of those needs, i would be happy if we didnt even draft a RB we may need all 6 of our picks. Gore and Boom hopefully can carry the load until next year which is a loaded RB class

5 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

i was a fan of Elliot at #1, but with no signings in FA we need ALOT in the draft and RB is definetly not one of those needs, i would be happy if we didnt even draft a RB we may need all 6 of our picks. Gore and Boom hopefully can carry the load until next year which is a loaded RB class

Boom isn't a colt anymore friend.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/3/9/11189096/colts-did-not-tender-running-back-boom-herron 

8 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

You do realize that FA is not over right? We will still add a C and/or G. I'm hoping both and the C is Wiz. One is probably more realistic. We will add a back up QB too.

We will bring in a vet on a short deal to band aid CB. Then draft a CB the first 2 days. Upshsw is following the new DC. He won't do much to help the pass rush. We will at least have 4 OLB who have NFL experience on the roster. 

Those 4 signings will put us in good shape for draft. We could go Billings NT at 18 Jackson/Fuller/Burns in the 2nd Correa/Jenkins 3rd The start of day 3 we get Tretola/Ichabino G 4th round the Comp pick Ngakoue  Edge. 5th Blair DL pass rush pop. Coprich R 7th Debron OT or Booker G/C 7tb comp. 

If we get a RG in FA. I take Westerman or Glasgow in the 4th.

I'm not interested in Elliott in the 1st Coprich Is my guy late. I would look at the kid from N Iowa late and Mobley from E Washington. He's a transfer from KY. He had a few good ganes as a freshman in the SEC. If Coprich isn't there

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If he falls to 18 I would take Elliott in a heartbeat.  Other than that we can wait until our 5th pick. 

We have Gore. He is our primary RB one more year. The 2017 RB class should be crazy. I don't see us going RB in the 1st. DL, Edge,CB I could see.then RB next  year.

I don't see the value of a RB in the 5th when we could add Blair DL pass rusher,an OLineman. There are a number of positions that could  be addressed. RB's are easy Coprich or Mobley in the 7th or sign a guy like Powell to s short deal.

I am interested in Trey Williams.He could be the explosive  scat back we have been looking for.

I think there is only 1 RB worth drafting this year in any round and it is clearly Elliot if he happens to fall to 18.  Otherwise, we take the Ohio State Lineman in the first and the Notre Dame Center in the third and use all the other picks on Defense.  

We are short a TE too.. perhaps a decent mid level one can be signed in FA or as a UDFA.  

By round I wouldn't mind the following:

round 1:

Ezekiel Elliot - he barely qualifies in the I 'wouldn't mind' category. I think I'd cringe a bit if we get him, but then would convince myself that the excitement of having a top level RB-prospect who plays great in all 3 phases would ultimately be worth it.

round 2: None

round 3:

CJ Prosise

Devontae Booker

Kenny Dixon

round 4:

Josh Ferguson

Alex Collins

round 5:

Daniel Lasco.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Darn i like him oh well. Thx for the info though man, i wonder who will be backing up Gore, is Robinson and Tipton both gone as well...i know Varga was on IR

As far as I know Robinson and Tipton are gone. Seems like we have Gore,  Varga and trey Williams at RB currently.  not a group to brag about, that's for sure. 

Kenyan Drake

Kenneth Dixon

Tyler Ervin

Jonathan Williams

I really like Ervin as a homerun hitter as a day 3 prospect who has plenty of receiving ability as well

Not done looking at running backs however so this list will probably grow a bit

7 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I think there is only 1 RB worth drafting this year in any round and it is clearly Elliot if he happens to fall to 18.  Otherwise, we take the Ohio State Lineman in the first and the Notre Dame Center in the third and use all the other picks on Defense.  

We are short a TE too.. perhaps a decent mid level one can be signed in FA or as a UDFA.  

We have a TE ready to Swoope in 

18 hours ago, akcolt said:

You do realize that FA is not over right? We will still add a C and/or G. I'm hoping both and the C is Wiz. One is probably more realistic. We will add a back up QB too.

We will bring in a vet on a short deal to band aid CB. Then draft a CB the first 2 days. Upshsw is following the new DC. He won't do much to help the pass rush. We will at least have 4 OLB who have NFL experience on the roster. 

Those 4 signings will put us in good shape for draft. We could go Billings NT at 18 Jackson/Fuller/Burns in the 2nd Correa/Jenkins 3rd The start of day 3 we get Tretola/Ichabino G 4th round the Comp pick Ngakoue  Edge. 5th Blair DL pass rush pop. Coprich R 7th Debron OT or Booker G/C 7tb comp. 

If we get a RG in FA. I take Westerman or Glasgow in the 4th.

I'm not interested in Elliott in the 1st Coprich Is my guy late. I would look at the kid from N Iowa late and Mobley from E Washington. He's a transfer from KY. He had a few good ganes as a freshman in the SEC. If Coprich isn't there

Just wondering, where do these comp picks come from??

8 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Just wondering, where do these comp picks come from??

They are next year I had it wrong but it would have been nice. Right? 

We can trade them this year maybe we pick up an extra pick somewhere. It would be nice. I think we still sign a C or G in FA. I don't see how Grig's or Pagano thinks starting a rookie at C and RG will help the OL. I thought that was their focus fixing those spots. 

Even without the comp picks we can go Billings at 18  Calhoun 2nd Howard 3rd  Tretola, Dahl, Kirkland 4th Boehm in the 5th. That would work.

If we get to the 5th and Boehm Is gone then we have a problem. It would be nice to get an extra pick along the way. Or maybe take the OL more seriously and sign Wiz to play C or bring in someone to take over for Thorton. Maybe we are going Reitz Good on the right side. Drafting a  C. Who knows? I will be disappointed if we start Holmes and Thorton.

It would hard to pass on Billings at 18 It's not very often you get a guy with his skill set at NT. We need a #2 CB, Edge, upgrades at C and RG. That's 5 players. 

55 minutes ago, akcolt said:

They are next year I had it wrong but it would have been nice. Right? 

We can trade them this year maybe we pick up an extra pick somewhere. It would be nice. I think we still sign a C or G in FA. I don't see how Grig's or Pagano thinks starting a rookie at C and RG will help the OL. I thought that was their focus fixing those spots. 

Even without the comp picks we can go Billings at 18  Calhoun 2nd Howard 3rd  Tretola, Dahl, Kirkland 4th Boehm in the 5th. That would work.

If we get to the 5th and Boehm Is gone then we have a problem. It would be nice to get an extra pick along the way. Or maybe take the OL more seriously and sign Wiz to play C or bring in someone to take over for Thorton. Maybe we are going Reitz Good on the right side. Drafting a  C. Who knows? I will be disappointed if we start Holmes and Thorton.

It would hard to pass on Billings at 18 It's not very often you get a guy with his skill set at NT. We need a #2 CB, Edge, upgrades at C and RG. That's 5 players. 

Yah that makes more sense. I assumed that was the case but wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. It would be amazing if we had those picks, and with what we need this year I could see grigs trading for another pick or two this year. 

I feel like they shouldn't be banking on good and Reitz on the right side, and they way they were talking it sounded like they were looking for guard as well as center. If we pick up wiz then we would survive at center for now. Then just worry about a RG. 

As for who we pick it all depends who sits at 18 when we are on the clock. Lots of players that fit our needs. I wouldnt mind taking a shot at Decker or Conklin to play RG, with the understanding that they eventually move out to RT down the road. There are also several d line prospects that could be around for us, as well as a few CBs I'd love to see opposite Vontae.  The only upside to having so many holes on our roster is we have lots of options that fit the team. It's going to be an exciting draft this year, which makes this boring free agency go by that much slower. 

I want DeVontae Booker. Seeing him mentioned as a 3rd rounder. I'd be ecstatic if We got him there, and would be okay if We reached a bit for him in the 2nd...not convinced he'll still be there in the 3rd.

A lot of scout sites listing him as #3 HB behind Elliot and Henry, and Booker's probably the best receiving back out of the bunch.