Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady's new contract structured to save him 2 million him if gets 4 game suspension

bayone

24 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Is anyone else a little mad that Brady only has a 14mil cap hit. At the level he plays it is an incredible advantage for the Pats. How does the NFL know he's not getting money through other channels? I think salary cap is probably  the biggest hurdle for teams that win supper bowls. Brady could be counting 7 mil more towards the cap easily if he was getting paid market. Brock osweiler makes more cash. The Colts could keep Freeman with that leftover cash. In FA it could be the difference in getting a serviceable player and an elite one. Just kinda shady from a team that has some shade cast.

Not shady in one bit, you can not hide cap money, it's impossible.  The main reason why is seems so low was Brady's contract from a few years ago when he took 60 million for 5 years why others were taking 100 million for 5 years, so it saved 40 million over those 5 years which thus does not bottle neck this new contract.

Bring it forward with the new revised contract, Brady is guaranteed 28 million over 4 years, and it was all in the signing bonus, which is spread out over 4 years against the cap.  Given the prior bonus only counting 6 million (as opposed to being like an extra 8 million had he asked for the extra 40 mill more over those 5 years) the old contract only counts 6 mil this year, with his 7 mil from this signing bonus and 1 mill salary his cap hit is 6 +7+1=14 for this year

The hidden thing is if Brady retires, cut or trade after 2017, the pats will have to carry dead cap (used up cap space) in 2018 and 2019 in the amount of the 7 million each year, from the signing bonus they just game him.    

So yah is sounds great now, but if Brady is gone after 2017, the Pats will have 7 mil less they can spend in '18 and '19 with no player to show for it as he is gone.    

One has to pay the piper at some point.  Again the overall numbers are lower as Brady took out 40 million over a 5 year period he could of asked for as he peers and younger QBs were asking for at the time.    

In the alterative the pats could have given Brady the entire 28 mil this year in salary, making his cap hit this 34 million (28+6 from prior signing bonus) and had no dead cap space for 18 and 19 if Brady was not on the team.  

So it is all how you want to play it that 28 mil is going to count against the pats cap over the next four years one way or the other.    

24 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Is anyone else a little mad that Brady only has a 14mil cap hit. At the level he plays it is an incredible advantage for the Pats. How does the NFL know he's not getting money through other channels? I think salary cap is probably  the biggest hurdle for teams that win supper bowls. Brady could be counting 7 mil more towards the cap easily if he was getting paid market. Brock osweiler makes more cash. The Colts could keep Freeman with that leftover cash. In FA it could be the difference in getting a serviceable player and an elite one. Just kinda shady from a team that has some shade cast.

Not shady in one bit, you can not hide cap money, it's impossible.  The main reason why is seems so low was Brady's contract from a few years ago when he took 60 million for 5 years why others were taking 100 million for 5 years, so it saved 40 million over those 5 years which thus does not bottle neck this new contract.

Bring it forward with the new revised contract, Brady is guaranteed 28 million over 4 years, and it was all in the signing bonus, which is spread out over 4 years against the cap.  Given the prior bonus only counting 6 million (as opposed to being like an extra 8 million had he asked for the extra 40 mill more over those 5 years) the old contract only counts 6 mil this year, with his 7 mil from this signing bonus and 1 mill salary his cap hit is 6 +7+1=14 for this year

The hidden thing is if Brady retires, cut or trade after 2017, the pats will have to carry dead cap (used up cap space) in 2018 and 2019 in the amount of the 7 million each year, from the signing bonus they just game him.    

So yah is sounds great now, but if Brady is gone after 2017, the Pats will have 7 mil less they can spend in '18 and '19 with no player to show for it as he is gone.    

One has to pay the piper at some point.  Again the overall numbers are lower as Brady took out 40 million over a 5 year period he could of asked for as he peers and younger QBs were asking for at the time.    

In the alterative the pats could have given Brady the entire 28 mil this year in salary, making his cap hit this 34 million (28+6 from prior signing bonus) and had no dead cap space for 18 and 19 if Brady was not on the team.  

So it is all how you want to play it that 28 mil is going to count against the pats cap over the next four years one way or the other.    

2 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Everyone knows that Brady is getting money through other channels. It's called "having a mega rich supermodel wife." He can afford to take less than his market value because Gisele is bringing in even more money than he is. Brady and the Patriots both know what he's worth, he just doesn't need to make that much, so he lets the team spend that extra money on other players. 

2 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

Everyone knows that Brady is getting money through other channels. It's called "have a me garrick supermodel wife." He can afford to take less than his market value because Gisele is bringing in even more money than he is. Brady and the Patriots both know what he's worth, he just doesn't need to make that much, so he lets the team spend that extra money on other players. 

More suggesting the possibility Kraft funnels some bucks through his corp, to Giselles under some business arrangement 

Serious question. 

When guys are suspended from games,where does their pay for those games go?  

Because I thought I read that the owners still had to pay this and it went into some NFL charity fund. If this is the case,  this restructuring seems like a big middle finger to the NFL.

14 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Serious question. 

When guys are suspended from games, where does their pay for those games go?  

Because I thought I read that the owners still had to pay this and it went into some NFL charity fund. If this is the case,  this restructuring seems like a big middle finger to the NFL.

Charities is my understanding.  Not sure if the charities are made public.

37 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

Everyone knows that Brady is getting money through other channels. It's called "having a mega rich supermodel wife." He can afford to take less than his market value because Gisele is bringing in even more money than he is. Brady and the Patriots both know what he's worth, he just doesn't need to make that much, so he lets the team spend that extra money on other players. 

There are many players that have made enough money that they can give back some to the team, it is not just solely attributable to Brady.   Nearly every QB in this league that has played more than 5 years has made enough money to live on for life.   Please.

34 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Serious question. 

When guys are suspended from games,where does their pay for those games go?  

20 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Charities is my understanding.  Not sure if the charities are made public.

My understanding is on-field fines go to charities (eg. when a player hits to the head, flips off the fans, pushes a ref, etc.), but for the ones like what Brady, the money is just retained by the Patriots.

5 minutes ago, bababooey said:

News out of Boston: Patriots are "bracing" for Tom Brady to lose Deflategate appeal and serve 4 game suspension. via Ben Volin, Boston Globe

Hard to say what will happen in the end, but yeah,  all their actions lately point to preparing for his suspension.

So if Brady loses the appeal I wonder if Patriots fans will still feel he is innocent? I think he knew the balls were illegal and he cheated. Having said that I ask why he would risk doing something like that? They would've beat us anyway IMO, they were better. Maybe for some reason the Pats feared on a mere fluke we could beat them and wanted every advantage they could get regardless of the consequences. Also if he is found guilty, does this tarnish Brady's legacy in anyway? I currently have him in my Mount Rushmore = Unitas, Montana, Peyton, and him. I am not sure I would change that even if he loses his appeal. Thoughts??