Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking Ahead To 2016 Draft

Seeing the way Colts are playing FA.. (Yes i realize it's still the beginning,  I'm one of the few patient fans so far)..who do you guys realistically think we can get in the first 3 rds that can make an immediate impact? (Doesn't have to be day 1 starters) also, what do you guys think of Sheldon Day from Notre Dame?

Depending on what we do in FA I would want to get either Ragland or Kendall Fuller in the first.  Really I'll be happy with any defender as long as he starts right away and plays well.  I would say the only place on defense we don't need help right away is DL.  

In the 2nd I'd like to get either Nick Martin or Ryan Kelly.  Most people on here seem to think that Kelly will be gone at that point but I don't see why we can't get Nick Martin.

Not sure where to go in the 3rd.  

There are a lot of talented defensive lineman like Andrew Billings and Austin Johnson. 

Cornerback is an area of need and guys like Mackenzie Alexander, Fuller, and Xavien Howard could make an impact. 

On offense I like Josh Garnet and of course Cody Whithair. As well as WRs Tyler Boyd and Josh Doctson. 

There's a lot of talent in this draft so Grigson shouldn't be able to mess up. 

Just now, Dustin said:

Shaq Lawson or Mackensie Alexander hopefuly. 

Shaq Lawson has everything you want. Size, athleticism, production, and upside. What really made me like him were his interviews. Just really impressive. 

I dont think he'll be available though. 

I like Alexander too. Just curious as to what you think his projection is as a pro? 

Just now, SP_21 said:

Shaq Lawson has everything you want. Size, athleticism, production, and upside. What really made me like him were his interviews. Just really impressive. 

I dont think he'll be available though. 

I like Alexander too. Just curious as to what you think his projection is as a pro? 

Alexander's ceiling is Brent Grimes. I think he's better than Hargreaves. 

My first round wish list would be something like this:

Shaq Lawson

Eli Apple (Assuming no CB signed)

Reggie Ragland (Assuming we lose Freeman)

Emmanuel Ogbah

William Jackson III

Early round guys I'd watch: Nick Martin, Matt Judon (OLB), Zack Sanchez, Scooby Wright...

As of now. Hopefully we can get a pass rusher in the 1st then our starting RG AND starting C in the 2nd and 3rd. It'd be scary starting 2 rookies on the OL, but it should easily be an upgrade over what we have. If we pick the right player it could be a monster reward. There's a lot of 2nd and 3rd round interior linemen who come in and play well from day 1 on.

1st - Leonard Floyd, Noah Spence or Shaq Lawson

2nd - Cody Whitehair, Josh Garnett, or Germain Ifedi

3rd - Nick Martin or Christen Westerman (To play Center)

4th Rashard Robinson

5th Matt Judon

7th Alex McCalister

Realistically Josh Garnett and Christen Westerman would be awesome in the 2nd and 3rd. I think Westerman can be a very good G or Center.

We need fast guys with blitz and coverage skills foremost IMO. So that in rd 1 and 2.
And the best c/g available in rd 3

Just for fun now... rd 1
 Darron Lee ILB   He can make plays Anywhere.  If Eric Kendricks can play MLB for Zimmer!
 Leonard Floyd  OLB Same

I would be high on Rankins and Kevin Dodd also.

Rd 2

Artie Burns
 Kendall Fuller

rd 3

G/C Christian Westerman  probably have to trade up.

Now if you believe we are Full of holes and are waiting till next year, or the next year,
 we ARE looking to trade back. More than once if possible.
 Picking up an extra 3rd would be Super... another 3rd and 4th woohoo!
 Lots of good prospects.

My ideal would be something like this

No particular order

1st - Apple, Lee, Billings, Elliot, Decker

2nd - Kelly, Jackson III, Butler, Perry, Ifedi, Wright, Whitehair

3rd - Joseph, Miller, Correa, Jones

4th - Ochi, Houston-Carson, Ngakoue

5th - Williams

For whatever it's worth to the Nick Martin fans....       These are his current rankings...   (subject to change)

ESPN -- 62nd best player overall.     Low 2nd.

NFL.com -- 76th best player.       Mid 3rd

CBS Sports -- 63rd best player.    Top 3rd.

So,  in theory,  if these rankings are anywhere close to accurate,  we should be able to get Martin with our 2nd round pick.

1st Billings NT fits a need chance to be special

2nd Fuller/Burns I think Fuller could be a steal here.

3rd Correa we need an edge 

4th  Tretola/Dahl/ibachimo OG 

4th Glasgow C/G

5th Blair DL Pass rusher

7th Coprich RB

7th Debron OT 

UDFA Booker G/C Sims CB

21 hours ago, TYtheMan13 said:

Seeing the way Colts are playing FA.. (Yes i realize it's still the beginning,  I'm one of the few patient fans so far)..who do you guys realistically think we can get in the first 3 rds that can make an immediate impact? (Doesn't have to be day 1 starters) also, what do you guys think of Sheldon Day from Notre Dame?

Rd 1: Andrew Billings NT

Rd 2: Shilique Calhoun OLB

Rd 3: Deandre' Hall CB

1 hour ago, MasterCrief said:

If we fix our OL in FA (sign a starter at C and RG), I would love this draft for us. 

We could this and fix the OL. Let's be realistic starting 2 rookies on the interoir isn't going to fix anything. I don't see a rookie OG who I think can take Thorton's job anyway. 

Tretola Westerman and Dahl all go the begging of day 3. We may have to move up for the first 2. I hear we get a 4th comp for Fleener. We go Tretola, Dahl, Kirkland at OG. There's some support for Thunney on here we get him in bottom of the 4th easy. Then Boehm at C is who I like. We could probably get him in 5th and take Ngakoue with the comp pick. 

I love Billings at 18 and Calhoun in the 2nd if he is there. I am not sold on Hall in the 3rd. I think we need a solid #2 CB the first 2 days. Hall looks like a better fit at S in the NFL. I'd look for Howard in the 3rd. A future of Davis/Howard outside and Smith in the slot looks real good to me. 

I think we bring in at least 1 Olimeman and a CB in FA still. I wish we'd pay Wiz and be done with C.

37 minutes ago, akcolt said:

We could this and fix the OL. Let's be realistic starting 2 rookies on the interoir isn't going to fix anything. I don't see a rookie OG who I think can take Thorton's job anyway. 

Tretola Westerman and Dahl all go the begging of day 3. We may have to move up for the first 2. I hear we get a 4th comp for Fleener. We go Tretola, Dahl, Kirkland at OG. There's some support for Thunney on here we get him in bottom of the 4th easy. Then Boehm at C is who I like. We could probably get him in 5th and take Ngakoue with the comp pick. 

I love Billings at 18 and Calhoun in the 2nd if he is there. I am not sold on Hall in the 3rd. I think we need a solid #2 CB the first 2 days. Hall looks like a better fit at S in the NFL. I'd look for Howard in the 3rd. A future of Davis/Howard outside and Smith in the slot looks real good to me. 

I think we bring in at least 1 Olimeman and a CB in FA still. I wish we'd pay Wiz and be done with C.

The comp pick for Fleener will be in next year's draft, not the current one. I don't believe we get an comp picks this year. Im with you on OL two rookies starting is asking for trouble.

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The comp pick for Fleener will be in next year's draft, not the current one. I don't believe we get an comp picks this year. Im with you on OL two rookies starting is asking for trouble.

Begging for it. I've been a Grig's supporter for the most part but if he can't fix the C problem with out using a 1st he's an *.

It's not like Kelly comes with a money back guarantee. I've seen plenty of Bama flops.

The talent at CB DL and our needs else where using a pick the first 2 days on a C is a joke IMO. If the plan is to start 2 rookies or includes starting Holmes or Thorton I am not sure what to say 

As the answers in this thread would indicate, there are a ton of good prospects at positions of need for Indy...

It's hard to narrow, but I wouldn't mind seeing us load up on picks in the first 4 rounds, even if it means trading away some of next year's picks. We should have some cap space next off-season and we should get some comp picks as well. This is a good year to fill up the defense with young talent... The only issue is the lack of pass-rushing talent. 

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

As the answers in this thread would indicate, there are a ton of good prospects at positions of need for Indy...

It's hard to narrow, but I wouldn't mind seeing us load up on picks in the first 4 rounds, even if it means trading away some of next year's picks. We should have some cap space next off-season and we should get some comp picks as well. This is a good year to fill up the defense with young talent... The only issue is the lack of pass-rushing talent. 

I agree with what you are saying particulary about the comp picks. I'd like to keep at least 6 picks next year. I wouldn't want to part with a 1st or 2nd any year. We already have an extra 4th and 7h I'm not sure what's up with Freeman I have not looked today If we get a 3rd for him. I would be for trying to add a coupe of extra picks this year. More picks is always more better