Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A New Beginning, Count Your Blessings!

Fr33UpFr33ney

Caldwell, and the Polians are gone....

Great, good. Now we can get to some MAN's Football.

Enough of this, eat your vegatbles before you get desert, football crap.

Enough of this Cut of the ol Jib, football crap.

Enough of this, yeah, but how was his interview football crap.

Enough of this, lets start the 6th round rookie at corner this month football crap.

Enough of this, lets never take any risk in FA crap.

Now if we loose, I'll know it's because we were outplayed, not because we set ourselves up for failure at the management level.

As a colts fan since 99' and witnessing the ever calm demeanor of Dungy and his Cohorts, ive been so excited to see the next season

Who agrees. 2012 is the year or risk taking and helmet breaking.

Caldwell, and the Polians are gone....

Great, good. Now we can get to some MAN's Football.

Enough of this, eat your vegatbles before you get desert, football crap.

Enough of this Cut of the ol Jib, football crap.

Enough of this, yeah, but how was his interview football crap.

Enough of this, lets start the 6th round rookie at corner this month football crap.

Enough of this, lets never take any risk in FA crap.

Now if we loose, I'll know it's because we were outplayed, not because we set ourselves up for failure at the management level.

As a colts fan since 99' and witnessing the ever calm demeanor of Dungy and his Cohorts, ive been so excited to see the next season

Who agrees. 2012 is the year or risk taking and helmet breaking.

I think that the highlighted part above is very interesting considering the tone of your comments. So you weren't even on board for Peyton's difficult first year?

For someone who has witnessed vitually NOTHING but unparalleled success in his entire experience as a fan, to criticize the MANNER of that success as somehow being - what - too soft? too civilized? is beyond ridiculous. What exactly is your problem? What are you going to do when you actually have to endure some actual discomfort as a fan.

And why - when you chose to root for the Colts in 1999 - didn't you just select a different team with an attitude more to your liking. How about the Bears if you live in the area? How about the Raiders if you just like thugs, or the Bengals if you just like criminals? It's a big league out there. You are ripping one of the key things that made the Colts something to be proud of these past 14 years. Clearly you didn't get the memo.

I think that the highlighted part above is very interesting considering the tone of your comments. So you weren't even on board for Peyton's difficult first year?

For someone who has witnessed vitually NOTHING but unparalleled success in his entire experience as a fan, to criticize the MANNER of that success as somehow being - what - too soft? too civilized? is beyond ridiculous. What exactly is your problem? What are you going to do when you actually have to endure some actual discomfort as a fan.

And why - when you chose to root for the Colts in 1999 - didn't you just select a different team with an attitude more to your liking. How about the Bears if you live in the area? How about the Raiders if you just like thugs, or the Bengals if you just like criminals? It's a big league out there. You are ripping one of the key things that made the Colts something to be proud of these past 14 years. Clearly you didn't get the memo.

I became a colts fan because I was a big fan of Edggerin James.

Remember when Skip Bayless gave us a "D" for the decade. As rediculous as the grade was.....he had a point. All that sucess in the regular season, an all all for nothing more oftern than not in the playoffs.

It doesnt matter how much you win if you cant win the superbowl...it really doesn't.

I dont care how may 12+ win seasons we have. I rather see us fail miserably for three years to build a team like the pats or steelers than to go another 13-3 season and loose in the playoff with the arguable "BEST" qb that ever lived.

We were soft all these years. We were timid. We didn't take chances in the draft in the free angency or on the field.

Not a flee flicker, or reverse....we're to scared to run a darn QB sneak. To scared to take a chance on a return man.

We soft on jamming recievers, and stuffing the run, on pounding for that third and 1.

1 year of that crap okay...2, meh, but 14 years....comon man, this is getting rediculous.

14 years of watching CB play 10 yards off the WR in the redzone with the game on the line is out of hand.

14 years of watching FA after FA make huge differences on teams while we stuck with "What's his face".

It's time for a change, and I hope the change is dramatic.

Tell me i'm not teling the truth.

It doesnt matter how much you win if you cant win the superbowl...it really doesn't.

I dont care how may 12+ win seasons we have. I rather see us fail miserably for three years to build a team like the pats or steelers than to go another 13-3 season and loose in the playoff with the arguable "BEST" qb that ever lived.

We were soft all these years. We were timid. We didn't take chances in the draft in the free angency or on the field.

Not a flee flicker, or reverse....we're to scared to run a darn QB sneak. To scared to take a chance on a return man.

We soft on jamming recievers, and stuffing the run, on pounding for that third and 1.

1 year of that crap okay...2, meh, but 14 years....comon man, this is getting rediculous.

14 years of watching CB play 10 yards off the WR in the redzone with the game on the line is out of hand.

14 years of watching FA after FA make huge differences on teams while we stuck with "What's his face".

Tell that to a fan of any team NOT named the Steelers, or Patriots. I'm sure that they would all trade places with us in a heartbeat. Yes, the Colts were often dissapointing in the playoffs, but I wouldn't blame it on the things that you do. And note that the Patriots have been less successful by your standard than we have for seven years now, and the Steelers more successful by only the tiniest of margins. The big question is: Why the expectation of success? Do you think that the Colts are entitled to it for some reason? Its a blessing - largely credited to the GM that was just fired and the QB that is about to be. Whoo hoo, lets change! Great.

If you are average you win the the Super Bowl once every 32 years, make it there once every 16, make it to the playoffs 37.5% of the time. Well the Colts have been to two SBs in 6 yrs, and made it to the playoffs 85.5% of the time since you've been rooting for them. You know what, I'll take that over the 14.3% of the time that they made the playoffs in the previous TWENTY-ONE years. But you apparently don't have a clue what that is like. You're spoiled rotten - taking making the playoffs every year for granted and demanding more.

By your argument it would be better to be a fan of the Marlins of the 90s/early 00's, than to be a fan of the Braves of the same period, because after all the Marlins won the WS twice, the Braves only once. Of course the Braves made it to the playoffs 14 times in 15 years, while those two WS wins are the only times the Marlins have ever made the playoffs at all. So for the sake of that one extract moment of pleasure, you'd give up twelve YEARS worth of games that actually meant something, that were exiting, that gave you satisfaction and pride.

It's easy to look back with hindsite and complain about where the Colts fell short, but how about appreciating the ride. They were arguable the best team in the entire sport on any given day for TWELVE YEARS. I loved every second of it, and I don't want it to end. I've never experienced anything like that before, and frankly I don't expect to experience it again. If you feel the need to complain about THAT, what exactly do you think you'll be doing when the law of averages pulls things back down to earth?

And by the way, it's entirely possibly that that's exactly what this change you are applauding is going to do.

I do agree with all the constant one and done (in the playoffs). That was highly aggravating and honestly the Colts haven't ever had a tough personality. The Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Patriots & Bears have all had that tough personality that I would like to see the Colts develope. I want to see cocky, mean players that prove themselves on the field (as long as there are no * that create a negative atmosphere in the locker room). You can be a mean, rough & tough leader and still not cause problems and help young players get better (kind of like David Wests role foe the Pacers). Pacers developed into this tough team after all these years and now I'd like to see the Colts do the same (eventually). I also want to see hard hits by the defense as a whole, not just by a couple players. Colts have never been a scary team, other teams just don't want to play against Peyton Manning, and defensively the Frathis combo. However that Frathis combo can't stop the run & hasn't been as effective as they were in years past, especially when it comes to forced fumbles.

No more of this finesse stuff & defense is built to play with the lead stuff. I would like to see a top 10 overall defense eventually a better smash mouth ground and pound running game & atleast adequate special teams, the QB situation will come into its own. That's just IMO. However it would probably take years to build into that team and ofc we would need to pick up the right peices. Even if it takes 3-4 years to develope into a dominate team, let's say one that could win 2-4 SBs & become a dynasty the wait would be well with it. I would've never considered the 2000 Colts a top dynasty even though they should've been with one of the greatest QBs to bless us with his presence. Heck even the Bills went to four SBs, unfortunately they didn win one.

I do agree with all the constant one and done (in the playoffs). That was highly aggravating and honestly the Colts haven't ever had a tough personality. The Steelers, Ravens, Packers, Patriots & Bears have all had that tough personality that I would like to see the Colts develope. I want to see cocky, mean players that prove themselves on the field (as long as there are no * that create a negative atmosphere in the locker room). You can be a mean, rough & tough leader and still not cause problems and help young players get better (kind of like David Wests role foe the Pacers). Pacers developed into this tough team after all these years and now I'd like to see the Colts do the same (eventually). I also want to see hard hits by the defense as a whole, not just by a couple players. Colts have never been a scary team, other teams just don't want to play against Peyton Manning, and defensively the Frathis combo. However that Frathis combo can't stop the run & hasn't been as effective as they were in years past, especially when it comes to forced fumbles.

No more of this finesse stuff & defense is built to play with the lead stuff. I would like to see a top 10 overall defense eventually a better smash mouth ground and pound running game & atleast adequate special teams, the QB situation will come into its own. That's just IMO. However it would probably take years to build into that team and ofc we would need to pick up the right peices. Even if it takes 3-4 years to develope into a dominate team, let's say one that could win 2-4 SBs & become a dynasty the wait would be well with it. I would've never considered the 2000 Colts a top dynasty even though they should've been with one of the greatest QBs to bless us with his presence. Heck even the Bills went to four SBs, unfortunately they didn win one.

Well then I guess it's a matter of personal preference. There is nothing about the teams you mention that I envy as a Colts fan. And frankly I don't see anything about the personality you refer to on the Packers or Patriots (since their defense got old). Ironically, they actually appear to have copied the Colts model that you are dismissing. Yes, the Bears and Ravens do have that identity, but they also have been amongst the most boring teams in the sport for as long as I can remember. I'm rooting for the Ravens to win the Super Bowl, but I doubt that I can even stand to watch them play. The Steelers are the closest team on your list to actually have maintained an enviable balance - but since I've detested the team since about 1974 it's a little hard to see anything positive in them.

And if the Colts do go ahead and build the defense that you want, it will very likely be at the expense of the offense. A lot of people always want what they don't have. I'm just stepping back and acknowledging that what we've had is pretty darn exceptional. You will miss it when it is gone - I PROMISE you.

Well then I guess it's a matter of personal preference. There is nothing about the teams you mention that I envy as a Colts fan. And frankly I don't see anything about the personality you refer to on the Packers or Patriots (since their defense got old). Ironically, they actually appear to have copied the Colts model that you are dismissing. Yes, the Bears and Ravens do have that identity, but they also have been amongst the most boring teams in the sport for as long as I can remember. I'm rooting for the Ravens to win the Super Bowl, but I doubt that I can even stand to watch them play. The Steelers are the closest team on your list to actually have maintained an enviable balance - but since I've detested the team since about 1974 it's a little hard to see anything positive in them.

And if the Colts do go ahead and build the defense that you want, it will very likely be at the expense of the offense. A lot of people always want what they don't have. I'm just stepping back and acknowledging that what we've had is pretty darn exceptional. You will miss it when it is gone - I PROMISE you.

Ohh yeah I know I will. It will be hard not to miss this team, regardless of any flaws us Colts fans might've think they had. They've given us so many great years. At the same time if we become a more balanced team and continue to have success, I'll be more than happy. Also when I referenced teams like the Pack, it's not just recently. I'm talking even about the Favre/Reggie White days, heck even back long before I was born with the Lombardi era. They have always had a tough persona. Same with several other teams. The Indianapolis Colts aren't exactly known for their tough persona. I would simply like to see them be.

In the end you are right, it's all about personal preference. Believe me when I say I do love this team regardless of the style of play.

Ohh yeah I know I will. It will be hard not to miss this team, regardless of any flaws us Colts fans might've think they had. They've given us so many great years. At the same time if we become a more balanced team and continue to have success, I'll be more than happy. Also when I referenced teams like the Pack, it's not just recently. I'm talking even about the Favre/Reggie White days, heck even back long before I was born with the Lombardi era. They have always had a tough persona. Same with several other teams. The Indianapolis Colts aren't exactly known for their tough persona. I would simply like to see them be.

Understood - I was still growling at the OP when I answered your much more reasonable post. I agree that a little attitude couldn't hurt. Everyone loved Bob Sanders for a reason. It would be great to have our cake and eat it too.

The Packers persona (and the Steelers, Bears, etc) goes hand in hand with their environment. It be cold. People think of the Packers and they think of players that probably had to be mentally ill to want to play for the team in the first place. I'm trying to think if there has ever been a dome team which has even tried to orient a team that way. FOs take advantage of the dome and build a team around it the same way that cold weather teams take advantage of theirs. You can start thinking of some "monsters of the mid-way" type nicknames if you want, but when it's 70 degrees in December it just isn't going to be the same.

Understood - I was still growling at the OP when I answered your much more reasonable post. I agree that a little attitude couldn't hurt. Everyone loved Bob Sanders for a reason. It would be great to have our cake and eat it too.

The Packers persona (and the Steelers, Bears, etc) goes hand in hand with their environment. It be cold. People think of the Packers and they think of players that probably had to be mentally ill to want to play for the team in the first place. I'm trying to think if there has ever been a dome team which has even tried to orient a team that way. FOs take advantage of the dome and build a team around it the same way that cold weather teams take advantage of theirs. You can start thinking of some "monsters of the mid-way" type nicknames if you want, but when it's 70 degrees in December it just isn't going to be the same.

I agree, those teams persona definitely do go with their environment. Great observation, maybe if I thought outside of the box more I would've thought of that, hah! Indeed, they do especially all their fans... We definitely have a more relaxed, easier going, (somewhat classy for the most part) fanbase which kind of coincides with the Colts organization. I know a couple Steelers fans (that grew up in Pitts) and it's difficult to even talk football with them they are so rabid and filled with pride for their team. Definitely different personalities all across the board.

There was nothing wrong with the old strategy, it worked for for about a whole decade. The reason we are moving to a different strategy is because in the next few years, there will be a new starting QB, the old strategy depended alot on the qb to put up points. Again nothing wrong with that but not a good strategy for a young QB. Its meant for someone like a Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Brady, Rogers. So don't be too surprised if we go that direction again once that new QB proves himself.

Well we don't even have a complete coaching staff set so there's no proof we're doing a whole lot different just yet. And we haven't made any personnel changes either so we may still be in for more of the same. Let's not count the chickens before they hatch.

I undertand everybodies anger at the first post. However, it sucks to get so close an loose.

I'm from L.A and I saw The Trojans win outright against the SOONers and let Young dash thier dynasty hopes.

I 've seen how the lakers put up 6 championships in my teenage era.

I'm used to winning, and i'm still a Lakers fan, and a Trojans fan even though they are struggling. We can't be good forever, despite what players or coaches we have.

But We can build a tradition of our prior sucess with at least 2 superbows in the next 5 years. Make a bigger mark in the leauge like the Bears and the Steelers and the 49ers.

But this isn't soccer and we dont "Class" our way to the top, we smash.

That's how it's supposed to be. I'm just excited they sunday church tradtion in indy might be coming to a close.

However, it sucks to get so close an loose.

Yes, it sucks to get so close and lose....but it sucks more to never even get close. I started posting "here" (three forums ago) with a message in mind. Yeah, the most recent playoff failure was frustrating and I would have liked to see them play better, but keep in mind that these are the good times. Enjoy them while they last because once they are over it could be a looooooooong time before we see them again. If you can't enjoy the good times, then the bad times are going to be really miserable (unless you just become numb to it). If you hopped on the bandwagon in '99 (and I don't mean that begrudgingly....many of us, myself included, hopped on the bandwagon at some point), you probably don't understand because you never experienced the bad times and probably won't understand until you experience them yourself. I don't think I would appreciate this run of success as much as I do if I started following the team in '99. But having my spirits crushed on a yearly basis through most of the '90s has given me a different perspective.

I will take getting close any day over a lesser alternative. Just like most posters, its the definitive statement that includes everyone.

Try "it sucks to ME" when we get close and lose.

Nothing about the last 10 years sucked to ME. Just tryin to help.

It wasn't that we lost...it's how we lost.

Do you remember the Jets game in 2000.

40-0. 40-0 really?

Do you remember teh 49 touchdown season....we put up a whopping 3 points against the Pats.

Its sucks to be the child prodigy all the papers are talking about and then get to Carnigie Hall and completely stink up the place.

It's imbarrasing. But if you the 49ers it's a process, same with the Raiders who are getting closer to sucess since they got rid of Davis.

Look at the Raiders For example when Jeff Hostetler threw that pick in the redzone with the game already 1. It's been 1 ifrst rounder on a kicker and a snowball downhill since.

But since al davis is gone.....I've seen lots of progress.

I'm saying, no team with 49 recieving TD in a season should be shut out in the playoffs snow not.

When Detroit beat the lakers, and the longhors beat teh trojans....it was because they came more prepared than us.

But with the colts....it's like they weren't prepared at all.

I wont feel embarased with a 8-8 season, if I'm seeing progress

Well, on that note if we are discussing how long we have been colts fans. I have been one since i was 16 yrs old.. but that would put me as a fan since 1998. I havent had much time to be a colts fan, and it started in the Manning era. Does that make me less of a fan.. no. Im too young.. :)

Well, on that note if we are discussing how long we have been colts fans. I have been one since i was 16 yrs old.. but that would put me as a fan since 1998. I havent had much time to be a colts fan, and it started in the Manning era. Does that make me less of a fan.. no. Im too young.. :)

Of course not. This wasn't a conversation about "who's a real fan", etc. Those are always a total waste of time. I don't care if the OP is 15 and started rooting for the Colts in his crib, or if he is 75 and switched to the Colts in 98 because his grandson gave him a horse for his birthday - the issue was that he had only experienced success as a Colts fan, and appeared to be taking it for granted and trivializing it. In other words, he thinks it's normal.

It's not.

I've occasionally thought about the difficulty of someone becoming a Colts fan during this period. In a way you've been blessed, but you also have my sympathies. It's much more rewarding to suffer a bit before finding success. I became a fan of the Montreal Canadiens when I was a teen (after falling in love with Quebec Province during two familiy vacations), and at the time they happened to be in the last few years of arguably the most dominant run of success of any franchise in this continents history. 30+ years later even when they are successful it's comparatively dissapointing. You keep waiting for the next Guy Lafleur to come along, but they are few and far between. Very much like Peyton Manning. You have to try to appreciate it while you can.

A new beginning. A fresh start. Let's get it on!!! Time to clean house, take our lumps and start our new tradition of greatness.

The Colts team that Polian built, that won so many games has gone the way of time. The star players are either gone or have gone the way of time, they are older and not able to perform as they did in the past.

Polian left us with an older team and in cap he**. Time to move on. Let's be prepared to take our lumps for a season or two as new coaches, new schemes, new players replace those who are no longer able or never were able to get the job done.

Hey!! Colts fans have had so many winning seasons of 12+. Nothing lasts forever people.

Jim Irsay has been loyal to the city of Indy. Years ago all the talk was about the Colts moving to LA. Jim said, "it ain't happening" and it did not. People said Indy was a basketball town and the Colts would not get the support it had to have to be successful. Remember those times?

Time to start over. Back to greatness, as Jim Irsay said. He brought in Bill Polian and we enjoyed years of success. Now we have a new GM. Let's get behind the franchise as we start to rebuild the franchise.

Go Colts