Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Later Round O-Line Help

Center and guard are two positions we absolutely have to upgrade this offseason. But with so much defensive talent I've been looking at later round guys that can contribute right away and are a good value.  Two guys that have caught my attention are Evan Boehm and Conner McGovern from Missouri. 

Evan Boehm(C)-strong player and noted leader. Ironman that didn't miss any games in college. 

Conner McGovern(OG/T)- another strong guy whose power could help our run game. Can play both guard and tackle which I know Grigson values. 

I dont watch film on O-Lineman so I'm just going off scouting reports and such. I think we could grab Boehm in the 4th and McGovern in the 5th. Any thoughts or opinions?

If we want to have a Super Bowl caliber team we have to do more than a couple late round guys. I mean we either gotta sign a guy or 2 this offseason. Or use 2 early picks on OL. Drafting Christen Westerman and Josh Garnett in the 2nd and 3rd would be ok. I think they can both come in and be productive day 1. Westerman is listed as a guard, but I think he can be a really good Center as well as Guard.

33 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

We're screwed if we're relying on later round rookies to bail out our O-line. 

Many great line man went in late rounds or even undrafted it is all about finding talent what round it is in does not matter .

13 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Many great line man went in late rounds or even undrafted it is all about finding talent what round it is in does not matter .

I have no issues with finding a good player later in the draft, but we need immediate help on our O-line. Not many late round rookies step in at that position and immediately play well though. It's a tough position for rookies to excel at, it takes a pretty special player to make an immediate impact.

21 minutes ago, B~Town said:

That's true and fine if you've had some success finding lineman in the later rounds.    At this point,  Grigson thinks he's found one in R7 -- Good.

And he found Mewhort in R2.     Great.

But so far he's missed on Thornton in 3, Holmes in 4 and two other 7's.     Having failed to build a good line after 4 years, I'm not sure Grigson has the political cover to try and build the line with low round draft picks.    He's got to spend high picks to increase his odds at success.   Otherwise,  his title will soon be FORMER gm Ryan Grigson.