Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RUMOR**** Colts "likely landing spot" for Upshaw

corgi

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I think you under estimate Upshaw's pass rushing abilities.

May not be another Lawrence Taylor buy  he can rush the QB.

Was very good at Alabama.

For whatever it's worth...

He has yet to rush the QB well in 4 years with Baltimore....

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not overly exciting, but I guess if I look at this as a swap- Werner released Upshaw signed, the idea doesn't look too bad at all, especially if we can sign him for a decent number. Better overall player than Werner. If this is sold from the front office as an upgrade to our pass rush- meh, no thanks.

Upshaw will likely take Werner's spot....  and maybe in a year or so,  if he improves,  he could be Walden's replacement.

But if he signs,  it's hard to see him coming in as a starter in year 1.   

His deal should be modest and appropriately structured.....

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Seeing as we already have walden at SAM and this move still give us the same amount of pass rush so try again

Don't be a child. I simply said that rushing the quarterback is not the sole responsibility of an OLB. And given that all we have at the moment are two veteran players to even mention. Upshaw would not be a bad thing. Regardless of if he can rush the passer or not. Our run defense is a weakness of our defense. 

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Two guys who can't rush the passer on the field at the same time?  Why?

True I suppose. Wouldn't mind them in together on 1st and 2nd downs though. Especially if the D Line is improved. But You're right when it comes to obvious passing downs. 

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

So if we sign Upshaw and then draft a pass rusher like Floyd at 18 wont it be crowded? And don't say we wont draft a pass rusher. We definitely will if we want to have a good team. But say we get Leonard Floyd, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, or Noah Spence at 18. You put the draftee with Mathis, Walden, Cole, and Upshaw and.....Somebodies not gonna get many snaps. Whoever we draft at 18 better come in and not only start but make an impact, so its gonna be crowded.

It'll be crowded this year then next year it would just be the draftee and Upshaw, the other three are in their last years of contracts. I could see us drafting another OLB high next year as well. 

4 minutes ago, IrishColt22 said:

It'll be crowded this year then next year it would just be the draftee and Upshaw, the other three are in their last years of contracts. I could see us drafting another OLB high next year as well. 

I'm expecting us to draft 2 this year actually. 1 at 18. Then a guy like Ochi, Judon, McCalister, etc in the later rounds

Just now, COLTS449 said:

I'm expecting us to draft 2 this year actually. 1 at 18. Then a guy like Ochi, Judon, McCalister, etc in the later rounds

Most definitely could happen hope for it as well, because next year it will be a priority again I think regardless how well or not our OLB do with year. 

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Actually, Walden is not really bad as a pass rusher either.

Sad to say, but he has been one of our better players on pass rush.

Yes, the Walden signing actually turned out OK after all, even though the pundits panned it at first. Walden has been an effective player. In fact, aside from Mathis, I can't think of a better LB on the roster than Walden.

2 hours ago, MasterCrief said:

Just...  no. The Titans or Browns would absolutely slaughter Alabama. Alabama defenses couldn't handle Manziel when he was playing at A&M, and he's been awful in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the worst NFL teams to put 70 on the best college teams. 

Agreed, the quote that "Bama is better than some NFL teams" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Assemble a team of the worst NFL players, UDFAs, 6th-7th rounders, and they'd beat the best college team 77-0 literally in each game.

For example:

QB - RG3

RB - Trent Richardson

WR - Justin Blackmon, Titus Young

DL - Bjoern Werner, Josh Chapman, Terrence Cody, Courtney Upshaw

LB - Randy Gregory, Kelvin Shepperd, Paul Dawson

Just rattling off top of my head. Keep in mind all of these players that I mentioned were literally the top 10% of NCAA players, though they're bottom 10% of NFL arguably.

42 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Agreed, the quote that "Bama is better than some NFL teams" is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Assemble a team of the worst NFL players, UDFAs, 6th-7th rounders, and they'd beat the best college team 77-0 literally in each game.

For example:

QB - RG3

RB - Trent Richardson

WR - Justin Blackmon, Titus Young

DL - Bjoern Werner, Josh Chapman, Terrence Cody, Courtney Upshaw

LB - Randy Gregory, Kelvin Shepperd, Paul Dawson

Just rattling off top of my head. Keep in mind all of these players that I mentioned were literally the top 10% of NCAA players, though they're bottom 10% of NFL arguably.

Remember the year when the Broncos were favored over the Jags by -28?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24045476/broncos-28-over-jaguars-is-largest-point-spread-in-nfl-history

This was the same year Alabama was undefeated and "If the Broncos played the Alabama Crimson Tide, the consensus top team in every poll and the two-time defending national champions, the spread would be set at -40.5 or higher, according to one oddsmaker.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/oddsmaker-takes-stab-point-spread-denver-broncos-played-142512121--nfl.html

“We often will use historical data and how our bettors bet the lines we open and adjust odds from there on any given game. Having said that, even though the Jags are awful and 0-4, they would still be big 17.5-point favorites over Alabama.

"Bama is better than some NFL teams" is officially the dumbest thing said on here so far in 2016.

How about we use this money on Bruce Irvin instead. I mean you know Grigson is stupid enough to hand Upshaw a 4 year 24 Million dollar deal. You guys know that right???? Lets hope it doesn't get done. Bruce Irvin could ball out in our 34 scheme.

5 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Alabama and the SEC is often better than some NFL Teams

In the modern history of the NFL,  about the only NFL team any SEC could beat was the 1976 Tampa Bay team which went 0-14.      And even that might be in dispute.

Otherwise,  there is no SEC team -- even the best Alabama team of your choice -- that is beating ANY NFL team, no matter how bad.         That's a complete myth.      Best to erase that from your mind right now.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

How about we use this money on Bruce Irvin instead. I mean you know Grigson is stupid enough to hand Upshaw a 4 year 24 Million dollar deal. You guys know that right???? Lets hope it doesn't get done. Bruce Irvin could ball out in our 34 scheme.

You calling Grigson stupid on any contract he signs is nonsense. He may be a lot of things in your mind but signing stupid contracts is as far from the truth as you can get. You know that right?

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In the modern history of the NFL,  about the only NFL team any SEC could beat was the 1976 Tampa Bay team which went 0-14.      And even that might be in dispute.

Otherwise,  there is no SEC team -- even the best Alabama team of your choice -- that is beating ANY NFL team, no matter how bad.         That's a complete myth.      Best to erase that from your mind right now.

Not to dispute that any one college team can beat a NFL team but the college all stars played NFL teams from 1934 to 1976. The college all stars beat the NFL team 9 times. That's just a little trivia. The first game 1934 was played between the all star and the Bears and drew a crowd of 79,432. Those games were played to benefit Chicago area charities.

Here's my all-NCAA all-star team (randomly taking players the past 5 years); currently, amongst the worst of NFL players but this lineup will beat ANY college team by at least 35 pts, MINIMUM...likely 50-100 pts.

QB - RG3, EJ Manuel, Tim Tebow

RB - Trent Richardson, Joseph Randle

WR - Justin Blackmon, Titus Young, Kevin White

TE - Vernon Davis, Tim Wright

OL - Luke Joeckel, Hugh Thornton, Khaled Holmes, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker

DL - Jadeveon Clowney, Louis Nix, Josh Chapman, Dion Jordan

LB - Barkevious Mingo, Manti Teo, Jarvis Jones

DB - Dee Millner, Laron Landry, Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam

That lineup would DESTROY 100% of college teams, and that's with no backups...but assuming just these 26players...no kickers, punters, special teams at all...just these 26 players.

3 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Here's my all-NCAA all-star team (randomly taking players the past 5 years); currently, amongst the worst of NFL players but this lineup will beat ANY college team by at least 35 pts, MINIMUM...likely 50-100 pts.

QB - RG3, EJ Manuel, Tim Tebow

RB - Trent Richardson, Joseph Randle

WR - Justin Blackmon, Titus Young, Kevin White

TE - Vernon Davis, Tim Wright

OL - Luke Joeckel, Hugh Thornton, Khaled Holmes, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker

DL - Jadeveon Clowney, Louis Nix, Josh Chapman, Dion Jordan

LB - Barkevious Mingo, Manti Teo, Jarvis Jones

DB - Dee Millner, Laron Landry, Kenny Vaccaro, Matt Elam

That lineup would DESTROY 100% of college teams, and that's with no backups...but assuming just these 26players...no kickers, punters, special teams at all...just these 26 players.

If that was a college team, every game would be 70-7 LOL

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If that was a college team, every game would be 70-7 LOL

More like 100-0 if they were serious enough.

As a COLLEGE OL and QB...in other words, like Jeff Driskel...

Can you imagine Clowney, Nix, Jordan, Mingo, Jones, and Teo all coming after you in the front 7? Teo was a terror at the college level...trash in the pro level.

Shoot, I can throw in Bjoern Werner as a backup DE...he got double digit sacks. Also throw in Tank Carradine and Glen Dorsey as well. Terrence Cody as well at DT/NT.

1 minute ago, rock8591 said:

More like 100-0 if they were serious enough.

As a COLLEGE OL and QB...in other words, like Jeff Driskel...

Can you imagine Clowney, Nix, Jordan, Mingo, Jones, and Teo all coming after you in the front 7?

Teo was a terror at the college level...trash in the pro level.

Yeah it is amazing how so many players can dominate at the college level, then they either are Average at the Pro level or just stink.

We're competing with teams that have a mountain of cap space they have to throw around. If we want a quality DE, LB, OL and the Jags/Oakland want the same guy, we're going to have to over spend. But look at the past success stories with FA's, it's low, very low. Most of the success stories are mid level FA's that have a motor and desire. It just seems the top end guys get that fat contract and just loft, killing the new team and eating cap space..

Mathis, Walden and Cole are FAs after 2016 season. Studebaker, Newsome, Werner are gone. So yeah, Grigson has to trade for Von Miller, spend 1st round pick on OLB and look for rotational players next offseason.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You calling Grigson stupid on any contract he signs is nonsense. He may be a lot of things in your mind but signing stupid contracts is as far from the truth as you can get. You know that right?

I find it amazing how so many people, who clearly have a greater grasp of the NFL than those who actually are employed in it, are wasting their time on a message board instead of developing a perennial Super Bowl Champ every year? They must have missed their calling....quite sad?

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it is amazing how so many players can dominate at the college level, then they either are Average at the Pro level or just stink.

Today this mostly happens with offensive linemen.  Most are used to the ZBS and when they are man to man....they cannot cut it. (running backs as well)