Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Speech and Marvin


Recommended Posts

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but in Peyton's speech he named a lot of players he played with and against, as well as a whole bunch of coaches he played with and against.

 

When he was talking about Colts' players he mentioned specifically Reggie, Edge, Saturday, Pollard, and a few others but did not mention Marvin.  It was when he said the things he's going to miss -- something about missing throwing to Reggie....

 

In the q&a session, he made it pretty clear that his list was pretty well-thought out.  Anyone else find it odd that Marvin wasn't included? I mean, Peyton and Marvin hold most QB-WR records -- I know Reggie deserved a mention, but you'd think Marvin would get at least a small shout out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but in Peyton's speech he named a lot of players he played with and against, as well as a whole bunch of coaches he played with and against.

 

When he was talking about Colts' players he mentioned specifically Reggie, Edge, Saturday, Pollard, and a few others but did not mention Marvin.  It was when he said the things he's going to miss -- something about missing throwing to Reggie....

 

In the q&a session, he made it pretty clear that his list was pretty well-thought out.  Anyone else find it odd that Marvin wasn't included? I mean, Peyton and Marvin hold most QB-WR records -- I know Reggie deserved a mention, but you'd think Marvin would get at least a small shout out.

 

One of the first things out of his mouth was about Marvin........ nice try to stir the pot though...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, csmopar said:

One of the first things out of his mouth was about Marvin........ nice try to stir the pot though...

 

 

Whoops, was not trying to stir the pot -- I didn't catch the speech until he was talking about throwing a pass to Pollard and getting a big hit then shaking Unitas' hand.  I went back through YouTube and the longest video I could find was this.  Didn't know he mentioned Marvin before I started watching -- seemed to me, from what I saw that he would have added Marvin in when he was discussing other Colts.

 

Anyway, I am glad Marvin got a mention.  From what I was able to see, it seemed like Marvin should have been included around the 7:30 mark when Saturday, Reggie, and Edge all got brought up.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the game when Harrison got inducted to the Ring of Honor at LOS. Manning spoke highly of him (of course) and said he loved the fact that Marvin always ran the same exact route every single time. You knew where he was going to be at all times, regardless of the route. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I was at the game when Harrison got inducted to the Ring of Honor at LOS. Manning spoke highly of him (of course) and said he loved the fact that Marvin always ran the same exact route every single time. You knew where he was going to be at all times, regardless of the route. 

To me Marv is the 2nd greatest Indianapolis Colt ever. When I do a list of greatest Colts ever but don't include Baltimore Colt players, just Indianapolis Colts my Top 3 would be Peyton 1, Marv 2, Reggie 3, I am not so sure Bob Sanders shouldn't be 4th because of his 2006 Playoff presence on Defense and in 2007 he won DPOY. We were a different animal when Bob was healthy, teams couldn't call us soft with him in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The most important player named was Jeff Saturday the next NFL Commissioner  (and a great one he will be). His speech was the best ever bringing humor and gratitude to so many and respect to all including the fan of NE.

He should change his name to King Midas as all he touches turns to gold. I hope he retires as one of the most dedicated workers regardless of a uniform. Today watching the ordeal I wondered what the Colts would have been had Elway not refused to play for the Colts---Unitas / Elway / Manning / Luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this should have read "Peytons Speech & Jim Irsay", because I did not hear him mention him once.  I am going to go back through it again because I was listening to it on the Dan Dakich show and for some reason they cut it off, perhaps because they were listening to it on ESPNEWS or something., not sure.  But I think it speaks volumes of his feeling about Irsay IF and only IF he completely omitted Irsay from the speech, which he might not have.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

Maybe this should have read "Peytons Speech & Jim Irsay", because I did not hear him mention him once.  I am going to go back through it again because I was listening to it on the Dan Dakich show and for some reason they cut it off, perhaps because they were listening to it on ESPNEWS or something., not sure.  But I think it speaks volumes of his feeling about Irsay IF and only IF he completely omitted Irsay from the speech, which he might not have.  

He also mentioned irsay 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The most important player named was Jeff Saturday the next NFL Commissioner  (and a great one he will be). His speech was the best ever bringing humor and gratitude to so many and respect to all including the fan of NE.

He should change his name to King Midas as all he touches turns to gold. I hope he retires as one of the most dedicated workers regardless of a uniform. Today watching the ordeal I wondered what the Colts would have been had Elway not refused to play for the Colts---Unitas / Elway / Manning / Luck.

Saturday isn't going to be the commish of the NFL.  Take a look at the past commissioners.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but in Peyton's speech he named a lot of players he played with and against, as well as a whole bunch of coaches he played with and against.

 

When he was talking about Colts' players he mentioned specifically Reggie, Edge, Saturday, Pollard, and a few others but did not mention Marvin.  It was when he said the things he's going to miss -- something about missing throwing to Reggie....

 

In the q&a session, he made it pretty clear that his list was pretty well-thought out.  Anyone else find it odd that Marvin wasn't included? I mean, Peyton and Marvin hold most QB-WR records -- I know Reggie deserved a mention, but you'd think Marvin would get at least a small shout out.

 

I thought he did mention him//but the hard part of a speech like that is that you DO leave folks out...

...its no slight...He emailed many people apparently

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I thought he did mention him//but the hard part of a speech like that is that you DO leave folks out...

...its no slight...He emailed many people apparently

 

He did mention him - I caught the speech about 30 seconds into it and missed it.  I was able to rewatch the speech in its entirety later and the first 2 people he mentions are Marshall Faulk and Marvin.

 

From what I saw initially, he went on a 'listing spree' at one point and mentioned several former Colts players plus a whole bunch of coaches and former competitors of his and didn't say Marv then -- but it makes sense to me now that I know he gave him a shout out right in the beginning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lef said:

While we are playing the "did you notice" game, who noticed that the 3 Bronco execs were wearing orange ties and Peyton was wearing a BLUE tie?  

I did not notice, but my wife did. Gave us a chuckle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, King Colt said:

The most important player named was Jeff Saturday the next NFL Commissioner  (and a great one he will be).

peyton has a better shot at that than saturday

 

(imo)

Link to post
Share on other sites

As many have already pointed out.... Marvin was the 2nd player mentioned in the speech, right after M. Faulk. 

 

Peyton did a great job acknowledging and thanking many players and coaches throughout his speech.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Two of the three involve former COLTS....   1.   Anyone here remember PJ Walker?    The little (sub 6') QB who would show up at camp,  be our 4th string guy,  eventually get cut and go elsewhere...   Canada, or XFL or wherever.       Well...   not only was PJ Walker in the NFL this year (Carolina)  he actually played in four games.    Wait!   There's more!    He actually started one game, and, yes,  he actually won!       Here's PJ's profile page.   You can see as you scroll down.   Good for the kid.   Who doesn't like a feel good story?       https://www.panthers.com/team/players-roster/p-j-walker/logs/   2.   It would appear that the career of AQ Shipley has ended.   The former Colts center, who moved on to the Rams where he started and played well for them for a few years may be over.        Late in the season,  he suffered what sounds like a badly pinched nerve in his neck.   HC Sean McVey made it sound like he was done.   Gotta like a guy who wasn't blessed with much        talent, but made the most out of what talent he had.    Hope he enjoys a long, healthy retirement.       https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/11/25/a-q-shipley-may-have-suffered-career-ending-injury/   3.   Frank Ragnow, the Center for the Detroit Lions is now competing for a title I'm sure he didn't want to prove he's worth.   Toughest Son a Gun in Football.   In Week 14,  Ragnow suffered       a fractured throat!    In more than 50 years of following football, I have never heard of such a thing.   But wait!   It gets better!   Ragnow didn't come out of the game.   He played through it.        The only change was having the guard call the line blocking changes.   Ragnow couldn't speak.    He missed the next two games and didn't talk that entire time, and then played the last              game of the season.    During his time off when he didn't speak,  doctors told him he needed to protect his vocal chords to make sure he could talk for the rest of his life.     The next time            fans begrudge the players,  remember Frank Ragnow.        https://www.nfl.com/news/frank-ragnow-on-throat-injury-time-missed-focus-was-on-preserving-voice-for-the-      
    • Fair point.   No quibble.       
    • I could easily be wrong about this,  but I think you're high on Nelson, Leonard and Smith.    Maybe not by a lot,  but by enough that the Colts will have more money left than you think.   ***I think Q can pick the length of his deal.   I'm guessing he'll have the following options.  4/60 (15) or 5/80 (16) or 6/102. (17) ***I think Leonard is looking at roughly   4/56 (14)  5/75. (15) ***I think Smith is looking at                    4/50 (12.5)  5/65 (13)   The keys to all three deals are....   the signing bonus and the amount guaranteed at signing --- these two are often confused, but they are not the same.     
    • I'm not saying you don't need speed and/or power. I'm just pointing out college players rely on it too often because it works in college, but then find out without technique their not as efficient.
    • OK......      I'm not speaking to Basham at all.    Have seen zero film on him.   I was only trying to say that DL's using speed and/or power in the NFL have worked since the league began.    PLayers who don't with at least one of them typically don't last long in the NFL.    The ones who can win with both have long, successful careers.   More to the point, our whole defense is built on speed.   Especially on the defensive front.   Look at our DE's.   Houston uses both speed and power.    Autry uses both as he plays DE and DT.   Turay is a speed guy.   Banogu is a speed guy.   Lewis, is a bit like Autry in that he plays both DE and DT.    He's trying to use both to win.    We're trying to find DL who win with their first step.  Get even on step 2,  and pass the OL on step 3.       Do the D-Lineman need to develop better hand moves -- absolutely.   100 percent.   That's why Ballard says young DL often need 2-3 years to figure things out.    He just noted Jerry Hughes who didn't blossom until Year 4 with Buffalo.   We gave up on him too soon.    Sorry,  don't mean to belabor the point,  I wanted to read your response before I posted what I needed to say....   Thanks...  
  • Members

    • Qcolts

      Qcolts 28

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IcEWoLF

      IcEWoLF 70

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ReMeDy

      ReMeDy 406

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PeacefulEasonFeeling

      PeacefulEasonFeeling 5

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 7,381

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 94

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 5,933

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 4,700

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • shasta519

      shasta519 2,621

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfan_canada

      coltsfan_canada 240

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...