Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Speech and Marvin

ColtsFanMikeC

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but in Peyton's speech he named a lot of players he played with and against, as well as a whole bunch of coaches he played with and against.

When he was talking about Colts' players he mentioned specifically Reggie, Edge, Saturday, Pollard, and a few others but did not mention Marvin.  It was when he said the things he's going to miss -- something about missing throwing to Reggie....

In the q&a session, he made it pretty clear that his list was pretty well-thought out.  Anyone else find it odd that Marvin wasn't included? I mean, Peyton and Marvin hold most QB-WR records -- I know Reggie deserved a mention, but you'd think Marvin would get at least a small shout out.

35 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but in Peyton's speech he named a lot of players he played with and against, as well as a whole bunch of coaches he played with and against.

When he was talking about Colts' players he mentioned specifically Reggie, Edge, Saturday, Pollard, and a few others but did not mention Marvin.  It was when he said the things he's going to miss -- something about missing throwing to Reggie....

In the q&a session, he made it pretty clear that his list was pretty well-thought out.  Anyone else find it odd that Marvin wasn't included? I mean, Peyton and Marvin hold most QB-WR records -- I know Reggie deserved a mention, but you'd think Marvin would get at least a small shout out.

One of the first things out of his mouth was about Marvin........ nice try to stir the pot though...

Just now, csmopar said:

One of the first things out of his mouth was about Marvin........ nice try to stir the pot though...

Whoops, was not trying to stir the pot -- I didn't catch the speech until he was talking about throwing a pass to Pollard and getting a big hit then shaking Unitas' hand.  I went back through YouTube and the longest video I could find was this.  Didn't know he mentioned Marvin before I started watching -- seemed to me, from what I saw that he would have added Marvin in when he was discussing other Colts.

Anyway, I am glad Marvin got a mention.  From what I was able to see, it seemed like Marvin should have been included around the 7:30 mark when Saturday, Reggie, and Edge all got brought up.

I was at the game when Harrison got inducted to the Ring of Honor at LOS. Manning spoke highly of him (of course) and said he loved the fact that Marvin always ran the same exact route every single time. You knew where he was going to be at all times, regardless of the route. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I was at the game when Harrison got inducted to the Ring of Honor at LOS. Manning spoke highly of him (of course) and said he loved the fact that Marvin always ran the same exact route every single time. You knew where he was going to be at all times, regardless of the route. 

To me Marv is the 2nd greatest Indianapolis Colt ever. When I do a list of greatest Colts ever but don't include Baltimore Colt players, just Indianapolis Colts my Top 3 would be Peyton 1, Marv 2, Reggie 3, I am not so sure Bob Sanders shouldn't be 4th because of his 2006 Playoff presence on Defense and in 2007 he won DPOY. We were a different animal when Bob was healthy, teams couldn't call us soft with him in there.

The most important player named was Jeff Saturday the next NFL Commissioner  (and a great one he will be). His speech was the best ever bringing humor and gratitude to so many and respect to all including the fan of NE.

He should change his name to King Midas as all he touches turns to gold. I hope he retires as one of the most dedicated workers regardless of a uniform. Today watching the ordeal I wondered what the Colts would have been had Elway not refused to play for the Colts---Unitas / Elway / Manning / Luck.

Maybe this should have read "Peytons Speech & Jim Irsay", because I did not hear him mention him once.  I am going to go back through it again because I was listening to it on the Dan Dakich show and for some reason they cut it off, perhaps because they were listening to it on ESPNEWS or something., not sure.  But I think it speaks volumes of his feeling about Irsay IF and only IF he completely omitted Irsay from the speech, which he might not have.  

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

Maybe this should have read "Peytons Speech & Jim Irsay", because I did not hear him mention him once.  I am going to go back through it again because I was listening to it on the Dan Dakich show and for some reason they cut it off, perhaps because they were listening to it on ESPNEWS or something., not sure.  But I think it speaks volumes of his feeling about Irsay IF and only IF he completely omitted Irsay from the speech, which he might not have.  

He also mentioned irsay 

2 minutes ago, King Colt said:

The most important player named was Jeff Saturday the next NFL Commissioner  (and a great one he will be). His speech was the best ever bringing humor and gratitude to so many and respect to all including the fan of NE.

He should change his name to King Midas as all he touches turns to gold. I hope he retires as one of the most dedicated workers regardless of a uniform. Today watching the ordeal I wondered what the Colts would have been had Elway not refused to play for the Colts---Unitas / Elway / Manning / Luck.

Saturday isn't going to be the commish of the NFL.  Take a look at the past commissioners.

5 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I thought he did mention him//but the hard part of a speech like that is that you DO leave folks out...

...its no slight...He emailed many people apparently

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I thought he did mention him//but the hard part of a speech like that is that you DO leave folks out...

...its no slight...He emailed many people apparently

He did mention him - I caught the speech about 30 seconds into it and missed it.  I was able to rewatch the speech in its entirety later and the first 2 people he mentions are Marshall Faulk and Marvin.

From what I saw initially, he went on a 'listing spree' at one point and mentioned several former Colts players plus a whole bunch of coaches and former competitors of his and didn't say Marv then -- but it makes sense to me now that I know he gave him a shout out right in the beginning.

12 hours ago, Lef said:

While we are playing the "did you notice" game, who noticed that the 3 Bronco execs were wearing orange ties and Peyton was wearing a BLUE tie?  

I did not notice, but my wife did. Gave us a chuckle.

As many have already pointed out.... Marvin was the 2nd player mentioned in the speech, right after M. Faulk. 

Peyton did a great job acknowledging and thanking many players and coaches throughout his speech.