Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question About The Excitement For The New Erea

Tsarquise

So we just got done with the Manning era. An era that was HIGHLY successful! Now everyone is celebrating the end of that era and the birth of the Grigson/Luck era.

The only way this new era is better than the last is if the Colts win MULTIPLE Super Bowl titles. You new era enthusiasts do know that right? You guys do know that that is very unlikely right?

So why the celebration for the end of the Manning/ Polian era to the unknown Grigson/Luck era? More than likley it won't be as rich as the Manning/Polian era.

As a die hard Colts fan.... I have to say I am very sad about all of this... I just don't understand how you guys can be happy about the possibilty of Manning done with the Colts and many other veterans. (Wayne, Mathis, Clark etc....)

The Colts might not even be the Colts any more... The players are what make the team.. Not the logo.

Nobody is happy that Manning is getting old (in football years) but that's life. Sure, we could live in the past glory, (and we will remember fondly) but wouldn't it be better to have a glorious past and a promising future? Manning (he is the best) is reaching the end of his career and that's life. We all get old, we all die, there is no escaping that.

Players change all the time. It IS about the logo. If you are a die hard fan, then you should know that you can't just fall in love with one player.

I said in another thread, that I LOVE Peyton. But he is almost 36 and has health concerns. Will he play next year? Maybe. For the Colts? Maybe. We don't know if the Manning era is over or not. But if we move away from him, it can be argued that his time had come.

But the Polian era is over. The Caldwell period is over.

We maybe even underachieved in the Polian era. We just came off of a 2-14 season. Change is to be embraced now.

Did I miss an announcement or something? The Manning Era is over? Wow... Guess I was sleeping under a rock or something...

Last I heard Manning was still planning on playing for another 2 to 3 years or more... Lets not go jumping the gun here and proclaim the Manning Era over. How about we wait and see what happens.

I think we are excited about getting better in areas we have been weak in for a decade. Defense, Special Teams, Running Game. I give some credit to Polian but I give most of it to Peyton being that good. I actually think Polian let him down somewhat by not putting a good defense on the field when he had a decade to get it right. We would have and should have won multiple SB's in the Polian era. I don't want to run Peyton out of town or anything but I do think the window has closed on all our aging players. I'm excited to get going in a different direction whether with or without Manning but really just glad we have a chance to get a future franchise QB in this draft. A lot of teams wait a decade or more to get a franchise QB. That is the silver lining of this horrible season.

Ok imo there shouldn't even be any debate about whther to keep Peyton especially after all he's done for the Colts and the city.Even if he can't play,give him a coaching position and if there aren't any available then create one.

To even think about booting him out on the street after all he's done is enough for me to maybe think about watching the Colts anymore,not that it matters,LOL!

Look at Elway and the situation there.The Broncos made the situation work and Peyton has done just as much if not more than Elway.

I think we are excited about getting better in areas we have been weak in for a decade. Defense, Special Teams, Running Game. I give some credit to Polian but I give most of it to Peyton being that good. I actually think Polian let him down somewhat by not putting a good defense on the field when he had a decade to get it right. We would have and should have won multiple SB's in the Polian era. I don't want to run Peyton out of town or anything but I do think the window has closed on all our aging players. I'm excited to get going in a different direction whether with or without Manning but really just glad we have a chance to get a future franchise QB in this draft. A lot of teams wait a decade or more to get a franchise QB. That is the silver lining of this horrible season.

That's understandable.

Manning lives forever, like Saturday, Mathis, Clark, they will be in top form even for the next century.

An era is getting to an end, and a new era is about to begin. This is order of things.

Question, how transformation from one era to the other would happen, with or without Manning. We don't know yet, if new era would be as successful as previous one. I'm sure next few years will be hard for us, we wont be SB contenders. We will see where things are going to, and if new GM took the right way.

So we are excited about a new era, but aren't happy. We shall be thankful seeing Peyton Manning and other heroes to play in Colts' uniform, and we shall hope new era would be as successful as previous one.

I think we're heading into a new era but we are only starting. I don't think next year will be a complete change of personnel, actually most of the players will be the same. Changing the players on the field will be slow but on going. After 4 years I think only a handful or so current players will remain like Collie, Garcon, Powers, Nevis, Angerer, Bethea . All our current vets will be released or retired by then.

I just don't want the proven and healthy vets that contribute to be cut this offseason. Rebuild the team around whats currently working, then replace those vets later on.

I will take less wins in the regular season in the new era if it means more SB titles.(we were a regular season juggernaught) The Colts simply were not built for the playoffs in the Polian era. Undersized, fast defensive players are neutralized in conditions where the field is bad and slippery and you are outside and maybe have a strong wind where you HAVE to be able to run the ball. We got burnt in NE many times because of this. Another reason I put Polian a notch below where a lot of people put him.

I saw several mentions of the potential backlash from fans if they had decided to keep Caldwell.

With all of the "new era" talk, I can't help but wonder what kind of backlash there would be against the Colts if they were to cut Peyton Manning, if he is healthy enough to play.

I will take less wins in the regular season in the new era if it means more SB titles.(we were a regular season juggernaught) The Colts simply were not built for the playoffs in the Polian era. Undersized, fast defensive players are neutralized in conditions where the field is bad and slippery and you are outside and maybe have a strong wind where you HAVE to be able to run the ball. We got burnt in NE many times because of this. Another reason I put Polian a notch below where a lot of people put him.

I agree that having undersized players has hurt the colts a lot I also think that having undersized players is the reason we seem to always be at the top of league in injuries every year

I agree that having undersized players has hurt the colts a lot I also think that having undersized players is the reason we seem to always be at the top of league in injuries every year

Absolutely!!!! Maybe Polian's legendary stubborness is part of the reason he would never admit the philosophy was not working and he needed adjust his thinking.

I saw several mentions of the potential backlash from fans if they had decided to keep Caldwell.

With all of the "new era" talk, I can't help but wonder what kind of backlash there would be against the Colts if they were to cut Peyton Manning, if he is healthy enough to play.

That wont happen, Irsay wants a healthy Peyton Manning. He is the first choice. I don't think your question will ever be tested.

We dont have any idea if the manning era is over. Winding down maybe, but over no one knows.

Fans arent even sure that the colts will even get Luck so idk why ppl are acting like its already a given... wait or the combine then you can see who will be taken. What fans need to remember is that Grigson came from the eagles so he knows that a mobile QB like Griffin can bring.

If the colts keep manning which i think they will i dont see them drafting luck at all, it will be Griffin.

Did I miss an announcement or something? The Manning Era is over? Wow... Guess I was sleeping under a rock or something...

Last I heard Manning was still planning on playing for another 2 to 3 years or more... Lets not go jumping the gun here and proclaim the Manning Era over. How about we wait and see what happens.

I was thinking the same thing. I thought maybe I missed an Irsay tweet

I thnk it's still to early to talk about "eras". While I've had great respect for Polian's abilities, if he was wanting to retire then that is what he should do. I think Mr. Irsay(his friend) is simply helping him in that direction. I definitely had qualms about installing an unproven Chris. I suspect Mr. Irsay did also.

I had no beefs with Caldwell. I believe he was a solid coach. The blame for this past season starts with the owner and ends with the last player on the practice squad. There are no changes that can be made that will change last seasons results. I read so many posts that seem to want change simply for changes sake. It almost resembles revenge or punishment for making us the fans feel so badly last year.

I've no desire to be be too quick to start over from scratch. The last time I watched the Colts come off a decade of championships and start all over set the Colts into a tailspin that lasted for nearly 20 years. There's no formula that guarantees when you rebuild you'll be back in the big one in just a few years.

You know, there is a worst case scenario. Peyton retires, Luck or whomever doesn't pan out or gets hurt.

As it stands, I truly believe, the quickest way back to a Super Bowl is with a healthy Peyton Manning. The neck not age is the issue. Be patient. Time will tell.

Looks like it is going to be over.... All signs pointing to it.

But it's not over until it's over.

The only thing I'm happy and excited about is the house cleaning that's being done. Said house cleaning does NOT mean that the Manning era is over just because that's all the talking heads yap about. If he's healthy he'll play appx. 3 years or so. If not he'll retire.

The changes are exciting and I'm glad Irsay took matters in hand for the betterment of the franchise.

I have hopes that they realize the Manning era isn't over yet. The important thing is that the Manning era has to end, we've all been dreading that day. I would prefer the FO to be prepared for it and, as painful as it was, the 2011 season played a huge role in affording us the opportunity for near seamless transition.

I believe NFL historians will look back at this point in time and refer to the 2011 season as a sheep in wolves clothing.

I have hopes that they realize the Manning era isn't over yet. The important thing is that the Manning era has to end, we've all been dreading that day. I would prefer the FO to be prepared for it and, as painful as it was, the 2011 season played a huge role in affording us the opportunity for near seamless transition.

I believe NFL historians will look back at this point in time and refer to the 2011 season as a sheep in wolves clothing.

I agree, If Manning is able to return and make all the throws, he plays for at least a year to make the transition easier. Then either fa or draft, upgrade ground game and defense. I fear if wholesale changes are made at once there will be a few years of really bad football until players learn the pro game or playbook.

I think we are excited about getting better in areas we have been weak in for a decade. Defense, Special Teams, Running Game.

That's understandable. But what have the Colts done to get better in these areas?
I give some credit to Polian but I give most of it to Peyton being that good. I actually think Polian let him down somewhat by not putting a good defense on the field when he had a decade to get it right.
So Polian; a 6 time general manager of the year responsible for drafting numerous All-pro level defensive players and considered by many to be one of the best talent evaluators in the NFL combined with defensive minded coaches in Mora and Dungy, could not fix the problem in over a decade, but a rookie GM and no HC are going to solve the problem?
We would have and should have won multiple SB's in the Polian era.
If what? Don't forget in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 the Colts lost to the eventual SB champions. They were playing teams that were also very good.

So we just got done with the Manning era. An era that was HIGHLY successful! Now everyone is celebrating the end of that era and the birth of the Grigson/Luck era.

The only way this new era is better than the last is if the Colts win MULTIPLE Super Bowl titles. You new era enthusiasts do know that right? You guys do know that that is very unlikely right?

So why the celebration for the end of the Manning/ Polian era to the unknown Grigson/Luck era? More than likley it won't be as rich as the Manning/Polian era.

As a die hard Colts fan.... I have to say I am very sad about all of this... I just don't understand how you guys can be happy about the possibilty of Manning done with the Colts and many other veterans. (Wayne, Mathis, Clark etc....)

The Colts might not even be the Colts any more... The players are what make the team.. Not the logo.

Bill Polian won't be part of it. That is plenty of reason to celebrate if you ask me.

It is an exciting time to be a Colts fan.... But there is no valid source of information that states Manning is or is not going to return in 2012. Everyone knows he wants to return and I am willing to bet that just about every Colts fan wants him to return.

The fact of the matter is is that Luck is an unproven college QB right now. No one knows if he will be the second coming of Peyton Manning or the second coming of Ryan Leaf. Our best bet to win next year is with Manning under center and Luck (or whoever Irsay/Grigson plans on drafting round 1) learning from him on the sideline. If you are willing to sit through 2 to 3 losing seasons until the team re-outfits itself to operate under Luck's skill sets then fine, let's let manning go now and start the process.

I however believe it is too soon to announce the end of the Manning Era. I will wait until the sky actually starts falling before I proclaim the end of the world!

(The above statement reflects my personal opinion. I in no way consider myself an NFL expert, nor do I play one on TV.)

I am excited about the new era whenever that will be, I like the house cleaning so far with the Polians and the coach gone. Like others said we don't know about Manning yet. No player can't play forever so of course an era if their star players retire. But we don't know yet,But we will know it will come in the future rather it be this year or a few years from now. I know I am an Indianapolis Colts fan, I am not just a Manning fan. I will bleed Colts blue when Manning is long gone.

So we just got done with the Manning era......

This just in.....BSPN and just about everybody else does more speculating than reporting.

The doctor said the surgery was successful, fusion took, no more pressure on the nerve. What does that mean? The arm won't hurt because of the neck anymore. Has the risk of injury increased due to the surgery? Haven't heard a single medically qualified person say this. This is a typical response from doctors familiar with this type of surgery.

" Is Manning facing any additional risks when he does return?

There’s never been a reported risk of catastrophic injury after this surgery, but there is a risk of having a problem develop at another level. Assuming he had one level fused, other areas of the neck could be affected by arthritis. There is only a five percent risk of a second operation in a player’s career.

Manning doesn’t seem to be in unchartered territory. Is that fair to say?

This is a pretty common surgery in professional and NFL players and they do better than what many people think. I’ve heard people say it’s really hard to get back from a neck injury, how if you have surgery you don’t come back, but that’s simply not true. I think Peyton, being the stalwart that he is, playing the position that he does, has a very, very good......"

As for the inevitable new era, no one ever wants a good thing to end, and you just have to deal with the future when it becomes the present. Me, I love pro football, and I'm a homer, so you'll find me at Lucas Oil Stadium 10 times a season for the foreseeable future.

Its time to rebuild and do a lot of studying of the right players to keep and sit down with a coach to study films of players on the team that had a record of 2-14. All this was brought on by the loss of are QB most teams may not make the playoffs but would'nt fall to the level we did.This is not a team heading in the right direction.New Era is needed and maybe a little late.This is not a disrepect of Manning just the fact that management failed us and him too!

i just hope we get a great coach and manning comes back...can anyone name me another quaterback that puts so much fear in opposing teams than peyton? have you ever seen the patriots go for it on fourth down in their own end of the field because they didn't want the other quaterback to get the ball and know he would win the game if they didn't.. i just hope this change is so peyton has a great coach and a defense like his brother does in ny..

I'm no doctor but there is IMHO room for optimism regarding Peyton's neck. In 2006 Eric Cole of the NHL (Carolina) had a compound fracture of the C5 vertebra after being checked from behind into the boards; had surgery and is today still playing this highly contact sport with the Montreal Canadiens. My point is Cole absorbs contact every shift on the ice whereas the way Peyton plays he does not. I believe Peyton will make a full recovery and still play as effective as ever. I think the bigger challenge will be the mental thing. Again I'm no doctor but thats MHO.

So tell me, were you a fan before the Peyton Manning era? Perhaps Jones/Carr...or earlier? or is this your first real experience with the beginning of a change into a new era. I can say that for me personally, SB's are great, but they are never the do all end all. In fact, it was the decade of winning football, the manner in which they achieved it, and the class that they demonstrated during this run that will likely NEVER be duplicated. So if I was to note a sad passing of an accomplishment not likely to be repeated, that would be the one.

But with a new era, if that what it is, comes new things to enjoy. Maybe this team ushers in the best defense in the NFL over time.....or the best team at running the ball. I do understand that it might hurt you to see fans jumping for joy at recent events. Only some of them are just fans of the moment, who seek change for the sake of change. Trust me....those fans will be gone if we experience a couple more years like last year. I have seen a lot since 70' with this franchise.

• 4 months later...

New Colts Team -New era-players -history-not old team or players past great and history written time to make new history in new ERA !!! And yes it will be the Colts not Unitas or Manning or Past players with COLTS history! and thats with INDIANPOLIS in front of COLTS

Sorry Chief, I hate to disagree but it is all about the logo and the fervor it inspires. Manning is gone, there will never be another like him but Andrew Luck will be good and take the boys in blue to many playoff wins.

Yeah it will be a few years until until the Colts are serious contenders but they will get there.

I know it will happen, I'm a fan. Thats what being a fan is all about--believing.