Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper Post Combine Updated Big Board....

Here is the latest from Mel Kiper, Jr.    His Big Board is only 25 deep, not 32.     And it will get revised many times before the draft.    But this is his first update after the combine....

Below you'll find the top players regardless of position. I should remind readers that there are evaluations left to be done, and a number of crucial pro days and interviews will take place over the next month-plus. More will change.

A couple of notes: I am limiting scouting report notes below, because this is addressing where guys stand post-combine.

Also, the Big Board is not a prediction of where guys will be drafted, only where I have them ranked.

An asterisk denotes a player who was a junior for the 2015 season. Two asterisks denotes a redshirt sophomore.

1. *Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss Rebels

The top left tackle in the draft did nothing to diminish his standing in Indianapolis. The question now is whether the Titans see Tunsil as a good value at No. 1 or find a way to trade out of that draft slot. They seem interested.

2. *Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State Seminoles

Ramsey tested exceptionally well at the NFL combine. This is a top 1 percent-type of kid, with extraordinary explosiveness that's particularly obvious when he's jumping. He won't be a project at cornerback but will face some growing pains, so you hear mixed feelings on his best eventual position, corner or safety.

3. *Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State Buckeyes

While Bosa faced some tough interview questions that stem from a one-game suspension that started the 2015 season, he did nothing from a testing standpoint to lower his standing as the best pass-rusher in the draft.

4. DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon Ducks

The more you watch Buckner simply control blockers at the line of scrimmage, the less you worry about fit at the next level and realize he's going to be good anywhere he lines up.

5. *Myles Jack, ILB, UCLA Bruins

Arguably the most versatile player in the entire draft, Jack has the size and tackling skills (and instincts) of a top linebacker, but the coverage skills of a safety. And yes, he can run the ball if you need him to. He's also a fun podcast guest

6. Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

A solid combine leaves Stanley roughly where he was headed in, as the likely second tackle drafted. Like any left tackle, if he starts there early there will be some growing pains, but the upside is there.

7. *Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida Gators

Hargreaves tested even better than some expected, and solidified his place as a likely top-10 pick. It's not a shot at Ramsey to call Hargreaves the best pure cover corner in the draft. And at 200-plus pounds, he's a physical player too.

8. *Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears

My latest mock draft has the next guy on the list going to the Browns at No. 2, ahead of Goff, but I still have Goff as the superior QB at this stage. The question of small hands is a real one, but it doesn't show up on tape.

9. Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State Bison

The darling of the draft process so far, Wentz impressed at the Senior Bowl and then showed off how physically imposing he is at the combine, coming in at over 6-foot-5 and 237 pounds. That he moves so well is a bonus.

10. *Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State Spartans

Conklin reduced the distance between himself and Stanley with an impressive combine showing. He has the long arms you want in a left tackle, and the tape is there. He's a great finisher in the running game.

11. *Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss Rebels

He faces a crucial pro day soon because he opted not to run in Indy, but while the 40 time might be the question, it's just about the only one. The tape puts Treadwell in good shape. The 40 time will only inch him up or down the board a bit.

12. Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama Crimson Tide

A leaner Ragland (down to 247 pounds after checking in at 259 in Mobile) tested just fine in Indy and solidified mid-first-round placement in the draft based on what I hear. He's an immediate starter for someone.

13. *Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

This, frankly, is a mystery right now. Until I have a clear picture of Smith's medical condition I can neither put him where he belongs based on tape (top five) or lower him out of the first-round mix entirely based on the injury. More to come ...

14. Sheldon Rankins, DL, Louisville Cardinals

The quickness is what really jumps off the screen, and I think it means Ragland could be labeled a defensive end and fit well in a 3-4. He has plenty of good tape but has been particularly impressive in the draft process.

15. *Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky Colonels

I'm sure the interview process has been and will continue to be uncomfortable for Spence, but the reality is he's one of the best pass-rushers in a draft class full of good ones. If his problems are behind him, he's a first-round lock, likely the upper half.

16. *Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State Buckeyes

A complete back who tested well in Indy, it's now harder to see him falling out of Round 1, despite the fact that many teams loathe the thought of taking a RB so early. What happens is you get to a point where he might be the best player available on your board. If the need is there ...

17. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU Horned Frogs

I didn't expect Doctson to break land speed records, but he was just fine at the combine, running 4.5 and showing off good quickness and jumping ability. He's great after the catch, has reliable hands and is a wizard at finding tough passes and getting his body in the right position.

18.*Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson Tigers

Lawson also tested well at the combine, backing up his productivity. This is a player who is physically ready to come in and hold up at the point of attack and win against both run and pass. He does not wow with quickness, but he gets himself free.

19. A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama Crimson Tide

Solidly a top defensive tackle in this class, with miles of film to back it up, Robinson has the size and strength to stay on the inside. It's hard to see him falling far.

20. **Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State Buckeyes

The one-time high school quarterback was a workout warrior at the combine, running the fastest time among linebackers and jumping a mile. Lee can miss some plays, but he only needs more experience, and he has the athletic ability to get anywhere on the field. First-round lock now.

21. *Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss Rebels

There's no way to diminish the athlete here. Nkemdiche is an extraordinarily gifted player from a testing standpoint at over 290 pounds. And when he's at his best, he jumps off the screen. His problem is teams need to trust that he can stay focused on football. He has work to do there.

22. *Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State Buckeyes

Apple had a tremendous combine, showing that he is the best size/speed combination among the top cornerbacks next to Ramsey and the next guy on this list. Apple needs technical work, but he's got the tool set you look for.

23. William Jackson III, CB, Houston Cougars

He has good length, long arms, and was simply much faster than many of us realized. Jackson ran the 40 in a blazing 4.37 in Indy and pushed himself up some boards. The key here is that his tape is solid, now the speed adds to the mix.

24. *Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

On tape Fuller was arguably the best deep-ball threat in college football this season. He gets behind defenses and makes plays. And when he ran 4.32, it made it clear what we've seen was no fluke. The question mark here is about consistent hands. They need to get better.

25.*Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis Tigers

The No. 3 QB in this group has a strong arm, a huge frame, and a ton of upside if he gets the right development. That said, Lynch isn't the QB you take if you want him starting right away. In reality, you don't want to do that to any rookie, but this is more definitively a case where you want time to mold him.