Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin on T.O.

Cynjin

18 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Wow.  Tell us how you really feel, Marvin.  I'm surprised he was that blunt and expressive.  He was always so humble and quiet.  He comes across really arrogant and rude in that interview

LOL, I love it when people just say whats on their mind. He does come across as a bit of a jerk tho. Oh well. Marvin was never a showboater, he didnt run his mouth like most of these primma donna receivers. Marvin earned his respect by his play. Thats it.

41 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Marvin choked not showing up for the NFL Honors HOF introduction.
Everyone else was there. It was awesome when all the HOF`ers went up to the stage to congratulate and welcome their new brothers.
 TO should wait at least 5 years. It would be good for him. :wall:

Please explain in what way he choked? 

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Wow.  Tell us how you really feel, Marvin.  I'm surprised he was that blunt and expressive.  He was always so humble and quiet.  He comes across really arrogant and rude in that interview

Maybe he just got sick of hearing TO run his non stop mouth? Marvin was always the type of player who let his play do his talking. He didn't feel the need to draw all the attention to himself. After years of hearing TO and a couple of others act like the sun set in their butts it is time for Marvin to stand in the spotlight. Not TO.

I did find it rather annoying how Marvin was talking in the interview. The guy never talks and then he just fired shots at T.O. However, I cant blame him too much as I'm sure T.O was probably getting on his nerves. But I do wonder why he didn't show up with the rest of the Hall of Famers at the NFL honors, seems to be a strange guy. Definitely one of my favorite players though. 

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

Sounded like he was defending himself to me. He responded back to TO when TO said he deserved that spot. 

5 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I did find it rather annoying how Marvin was talking in the interview. The guy never talks and then he just fired shots at T.O. However, I cant blame him too much as I'm sure T.O was probably getting on his nerves. But I do wonder why he didn't show up with the rest of the Hall of Famers at the NFL honors, seems to be a strange guy. Definitely one of my favorite players though. 

I don't know the exact answer but it could be Marvin's dislike about being in and speaking in the publics eye so to say? I do agree he is a strange guy but it might be as simple as not being comfortable speaking on a mike and in front of a camera? He has always been a private person.

2 hours ago, Vinatieri4 said:

annoying?  i respect that opinion but how is it annoying? just curious...

but, I don't get the world in 2016... we expect people to be a certain way and god forbid they go outside of our expectations!!! how dare they, and how easily people forget that their poo stinks too and that these guys are all people, too..

the high and mighty...

I always liked me the type of people who don't just follow along because it sounds or looks good.  I don't mean it in a rebellious type of way but it's like meh let the man live his life and what does it matter to any of us... just because someone says "well, you're supposed to" or "because i said so" doesn't mean thats a valid enough reason, and who knows maybe he had a reason to not show, but we don't know just act like we do.. and I understand the opposing views on that as well but I don't know, no one is owed anything, in my opinion.

and I love reading comment sections on different sites and articles with people saying Marvin is all hype, TO is better and all that.  Subjective of course, like anything else, but I've personally...Never seen ANY receiver run routes like him and catch balls with so much space in between him and a nearest defender.  I respect everyones opinions but it's evident people haven't seen the body of work.

I love Marvin. He was just so good and professional on the field.

That being said, he has an awful off-the-field reputation. 

I'm all for Marvin (player) keeping Marvin (the guy) from shooting his mouth off in times like this. 

T.O. is a clown... He was a good WR, but its hard to take his obnoxious antics, for me, anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I love Marvin. He was just so good and professional on the field.

That being said, he has an awful off-the-field reputation. 

I'm all for Marvin (player) keeping Marvin (the guy) from shooting his mouth off in times like this. 

T.O. is a clown... He was a good WR, but its hard to take his obnoxious antics, for me, anyway. 

His off field reputation? What? Rumors? If it is rumors what is wrong with him keeping his neighborhood rid of drug dealers? If that is what you are referring to?

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

His off field reputation? What? Rumors? If it is rumors what is wrong with him keeping his neighborhood rid of drug dealers? If that is what you are referring to?

I understand if you want to defend Marvin's reputation. I do too, but I know what my non-Colt-fan friends have to say about his off field issues. 

Like it or not, rumors or not, he is always going to have a certain number of people who think that he's connected with those two people getting shot. 

I read the GQ article like we all probably did. It didn't sound good for him at all, but I don't believe everything I read... I'm just saying that when I bring up Marvin as an all time great WR to people, they often say, yeah but... Therefor, in my view, whether it's fair or not, he has got a reputation for being a thug and a king-penesque character to a lot of people outside of Indy...

Maybe I overestimate it because my friends are kind of brutal... I have no opinion about the rumors and reports, but I read the comments on some of his HOF articles and it confirmed that some people at least, still have that opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I understand if you want to defend Marvin's reputation. I do too, but I know what my non-Colt-fan friends have to say about his off field issues. 

Like it or not, rumors or not, he is always going to have a certain number of people who think that he's connected with those two people getting shot. 

I read the GQ article like we all probably did. It didn't sound good for him at all, but I don't believe everything I read... I'm just saying that when I bring up Marvin as an all time great WR to people, they often say, yeah but... Therefor, in my view, whether it's fair or not, he has got a reputation for being a thug and a king-penesque character to a lot of people outside of Indy...

Maybe I overestimate it because my friends are kind of brutal... I have no opinion about the rumors and reports, but I read the comments on some of his HOF articles and it confirmed that some people at least, still have that opinion. 

I can understand that. I am not so much into protecting his reputation as I am not letting rumors sway how I feel about him. On the other side of those rumors are how he is considered almost hero status in Philly. As an outsider I had wondered why there wasn't more investigation into at least the first shooting and the strange circumstances around that. It seemed to me the cops and prosecutor had it on their mind the guy shot deserved it. From what I remember Marvin had warned him not to sell drugs in front of his property. And the rest is history including all the rumors. Very strange indeed.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can understand that. I am not so much into protecting his reputation as I am not letting rumors sway how I feel about him. On the other side of those rumors are how he is considered almost hero status in Philly. As an outsider I had wondered why there wasn't more investigation into at least the first shooting and the strange circumstances around that. It seemed to me the cops and prosecutor had it on their mind the guy shot deserved it. From what I remember Marvin had warned him not to sell drugs in front of his property. And the rest is history including all the rumors. Very strange indeed.

Yeah, it's a strange case, for sure. 

I'm not usually the guy who defends athletes when they are charged with crimes... I'm often accused of being cynical, which is a fair assessment. Also, I'm not in any way in favor of trying to execute drug dealers on the street, However...

Something sentimental in me really just wants to give Marvin the benefit of the doubt... He was never charged. Like you said, he is very active in community building in Philly. He was a great and humble pro in Indy.

It's one of the ways I'm hypocritical, but I don't let that stuff sway my opinion about Harrison like I would about a guy who wasn't my all time favorite player... If worse comes to worst, I'll just compartmentalize the two Marvins like Laker fans did with Kobe. 

"What? #8 was the rapist"- Tosh 

I am not sure what peoples list are regarding WR's of all-time but I don't even have TO in my TOP 10. I understand he has Great stats but that isn't everything. Rice, Irvin, Moss, Carter, A. Reed, Largent, Monk, Swann, Marvin and Reggie both were better by the eye test IMO. That is 10 right there, I am sure I am leaving others off. I give TO TOP 15 so IMO he not getting in on the 1st ballot isn't shocking to me.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure what peoples list are regarding WR's of all-time but I don't even have TO in my TOP 10. I understand he has Great stats but that isn't everything. Rice, Irvin, Moss, Carter, A. Reed, Largent, Monk, Swann, Marvin and Reggie both were better by the eye test IMO. That is 10 right there, I am sure I am leaving others off. I give TO TOP 15 so IMO he not getting in on the 1st ballot isn't shocking to me.

I'm with you.  

I bundle all aspects of a player into where I rank them.

Stats is certainly the major one, but the affect on their team is another.  Do they cause the team to be distracted?  Are they injured much?  Do they block when they are not in the current play?  Do they moan so much that the QB starts forcing the ball to them?  

I've never believed that stats were the only factor.  

TO has never won a Superbowl either.

LOL @TO has never won a Super Bowl. He played better than Marvin in the 1 he played in. And he was on 1 leg. Marvin did have Peyton throwing to him for a decade. LOL.

TO and Randy Moss were just different athletes from other WRs. 

This thread is comedy.  Lynn Swann being better than TO LOL

The sad thing is...TO is an butt, says stuff to be an antagonist, but that is fine. He is "controversial".  Marvin rightfully fires back, and Marvin comes across as "rude" or "arrogant".  I am glad he basically told TO to sit down and shut up.  Coming from a quiet guy like Marvin, it carries more weight to me.  IMO.  Marvin was the best wr of his generation.  Put up great numbers even after sharing the field with Reggie Wayne, who will be another Hall of Famer.  I love that he also said Bruce is a HOF before TO.  Another quiet classy guy who did his business without jumping around like an butt.  

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't know the exact answer but it could be Marvin's dislike about being in and speaking in the publics eye so to say? I do agree he is a strange guy but it might be as simple as not being comfortable speaking on a mike and in front of a camera? He has always been a private person.

This is true, maybe he's not a big public speaker! Still interesting that a guy not for public speaking much and never really talks to the media, would just rip someone and curse a few times when he does haha!

2 hours ago, Vinatieri4 said:

This is true, maybe he's not a big public speaker! Still interesting that a guy not for public speaking much and never really talks to the media, would just rip someone and curse a few times when he does haha!

Maybe TOs constant jabbering got to him? :scratch: :D

On 3/3/2016 at 10:34 AM, Cynjin said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/03/marvin-harrison-on-terrell-owens-complaining-the-hell-with-him/

I didn't see this posted.

Wow Marvin, this is the most I've ever seen him talk.

Back when 88 played we knew he was quite & he was a fast food junkie thats it he has always been a class act so his words surprise me , Especially without proper context why the anger ? 

I had to look around at various sources to get a better opinion basicly why would a person known for his composure lose it so to speak .

Maybe T.O 's feb 7 interview with espn can shed some light  IMO it would anger anyone . 

Marvin Harrison was attacked by T.O .

As I looked up first time HOF'ers I realized only 4 got in on there first try & that its kinda of an unwritten rule WR's have to wait of course in T.O's mind he the best ever & this is just disrespectful .

In reality its just the way it is none of the players in the HOF were disrespected whether they got in on the first try or 8'th they were RESPECTED so much that they were considered in the first place ..

“If you look at my character off the football field, it’s unblemished,” he told ESPN NFL Nation reporter Paul Kuharsky on his radio show this week. “You look at some of the Hall of Fame players that have gotten in … again, there’s been some major issues, from DUIs to alcohol addiction. You talk about drugs, cocaine. Again, if you look at some of those things and you factor in, it should be a no-brainer.

“In terms of Marvin Harrison, great receiver. Again, his numbers are there. I think he won a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning. But again, here’s a guy … he had a gun incident. This is a guy that really had a gun charge where somebody got killed. So, again, if you factor in all these things, what is the Hall of Fame? What is the criteria, what is the basis, really, for people getting in?

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:27 AM, YourNextGM said:

LOL @TO has never won a Super Bowl. He played better than Marvin in the 1 he played in. And he was on 1 leg. Marvin did have Peyton throwing to him for a decade. LOL.

TO and Randy Moss were just different athletes from other WRs. 

This thread is comedy.  Lynn Swann being better than TO LOL

Hmmm, I remember that year.   The Eagles finished the season and got to the Superbowl without TO.   Then he comes back and they lose in the Superbowl.   Kind of typical TO.   He's all about himself and it doesn't help the team.  

On March 3, 2016 at 9:41 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me Marvin is a Top 5 WR of all-time he should be in over TO. I love this. TO had incredible numbers but I would take Marvin any day over him. Who was better than Marvin by the eye test? Stats aren't everything, Michael Irvin was better than TO and didn't have near the stats.

No one is rather have for a tightrope catch and toe tap in the end zone than Marv. 

On 3/3/2016 at 4:00 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe he just got sick of hearing TO run his non stop mouth? Marvin was always the type of player who let his play do his talking. He didn't feel the need to draw all the attention to himself. After years of hearing TO and a couple of others act like the sun set in their butts it is time for Marvin to stand in the spotlight. Not TO.

That's exactly right that's exactly why Marvin spoke up good for Marvin.

16 hours ago, Myles said:

Hmmm, I remember that year.   The Eagles finished the season and got to the Superbowl without TO.   Then he comes back and they lose in the Superbowl.   Kind of typical TO.   He's all about himself and it doesn't help the team.  

Then he publically humiliated McNabb. TO always had the physical talent, just not the brain power or IQ to match that physical talent.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Then he publically humiliated McNabb. TO always had the physical talent, just not the brain power or IQ to match that physical talent.

That was what TO did.   He typically hurt the team he was on quite a bit.  I factor that into a players overall contributions.   In TO's case, it brings him down quite a bit.