Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our exaggerated Oline problem

47 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Wow, ONLY 3 quarterbacks injured. Our o-line should be very proud of themselves. Amazing. 

Luck's first injury you can blame on the offensive line. Luck's second injury was on a scramble. Hasselbeck hurt his shoulder in the Jacksonville game when he was tackled late out of bounds by Telvin Smith. Whitehurst hurt himself on a scramble when he pulled a hamstring.

I don't think our line is great, but most of the injuries can't be pegged fully on them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For all of those blaming the injuries on the oline can you all please explain to me the Steelers?  They have first round talent at multiple positions in the oline yet their QB is hurt routinely.  They also have one of the highest rated olines for the past 3 years... again why is that?  

A QB being injured doesn't always have to do with the oline.  Especially when Luck and Ben are your QBs.

The line isn't as bad as people say it is. It's still not good, though.

Pep's poor work didn't help at all. Luck being indecisive didn't help. Hasselbeck being unable to throw downfield didn't help. The absolute inability to run a successful screen play didn't help.

Let's assume those four things are fixed in 2016. The line would still be average, most likely. Maybe slightly above average with the zone scheme. 

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

For all of those blaming the injuries on the oline can you all please explain to me the Steelers?  They have first round talent at multiple positions in the oline yet their QB is hurt routinely.  They also have one of the highest rated olines for the past 3 years... again why is that?  

A QB being injured doesn't always have to do with the oline.  Especially when Luck and Ben are your QBs.

Or the Cowboys for that matter, but let's not pay any attention to nuance. 

I feel like I should just defer everything to you in this thread, you've put everything into better words than myself.

1 hour ago, SDakColts said:

Luck's first injury you can blame on the offensive line. Luck's second injury was on a scramble. Hasselbeck hurt his shoulder in the Jacksonville game when he was tackled late out of bounds by Telvin Smith. Whitehurst hurt himself on a scramble when he pulled a hamstring.

I don't think our line is great, but most of the injuries can't be pegged fully on them.

If you don't think that all the cumulative hits our oline allows our quarterbacks to take plays a factor in injuries, both nagging and severe. Well then I have a bridge to sell you. 

Some people seem to think that me saying 'only 3 QBs were injured' is a dismissal of our problems. That is not the case, it was simply an argument against those who say 'we went through 5 QBs'. That is a dishonest argument, we went through 3. Funny how the Cowboys can have 4 different QBs with significant playing time, but nobody would argue that their Oline sucks.

Also, there is a difference between 'our problems are exaggerated' and 'our line is fine'. Nowhere did I say that it's fine, or good, or even above average. It can definitely be improved. I mostly take issue with all the mocks having us draft Conklin, Decker, or Whitehair in the first round. Sorry, but I just don't see it as necessary to draft an interior lineman or RT in the first round.

Stop misrepresenting what I've said. 

22 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

3/5....Castonzo, Mewhort, Reitz.

Because you know more than the people who are actually running the show. If they can't protect the (soon to be) highest paid QB in the league it's a big problem. Period.

43 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

If you don't think that all the cumulative hits our oline allows our quarterbacks to take plays a factor in injuries, both nagging and severe. Well then I have a bridge to sell you. 

Never said that they didn't take a lot of hits in the pocket as they did get hit often. I am sure they had nagging injuries because of it. I am referring to the plays in which all three QBs were severely injured. A quarterback that hasn't took one hit in the pocket can get injured on a scramble the same as one that has taken multiple hits. I don't get how you can say that taking multiple hits in the pocket made it more likely for Andrew to get hurt on a scramble, or Hasselbeck getting hit out of bounds. Whitehurst was definitely not on the O-Line.

9 minutes ago, Detectacon said:

Because you know more than the people who are actually running the show. If they can't protect the (soon to be) highest paid QB in the league it's a big problem. Period.

Well that comes straight from their mouths so......

3 hours ago, Surge89 said:

Ok I get it.  What you say isn't twisting anything to fit your narrative and your stats are divine law.  You have the ultimate authority because people who do news (to fit certain narratives mind you) agree with your narrative which sorry isn't a narrative its universal fact.  I will go back to the peasants with my excuse stats and blindness.

Lol do you even read what you post?

Back to the peasants? Only the jester has that authority.

2 hours ago, SDakColts said:

Never said that they didn't take a lot of hits in the pocket as they did get hit often. I am sure they had nagging injuries because of it. I am referring to the plays in which all three QBs were severely injured. A quarterback that hasn't took one hit in the pocket can get injured on a scramble the same as one that has taken multiple hits. I don't get how you can say that taking multiple hits in the pocket made it more likely for Andrew to get hurt on a scramble, or Hasselbeck getting hit out of bounds. Whitehurst was definitely not on the O-Line.

I can easily say it made it more likely for a qb to get hurt on a scramble. Cumulative stress is a big issue. Especially in the knees for guys like Big Ben. 

You're arguing a foolish point to go into technicalities of qb injuries. This isn't a Romo getting injured with a top 3 oline scenario. This is the Colts, with Andrew Luck, with rbs who can't even scrap out one 100 yard game among 50.  We have a historically awful offensive line scheme/personnel issue going on since the late Peyton years and all through Luck's years so far. It's no coincidence that we have three-four injured quarterbacks on last years roster. 

We're supposed to be a Superbowl team, not a team that settles for an average oline (although most in this thread would argue our line is awful, including me). Therefore we are * that this front office is literally ruining Luck's career with Swiss cheese offensive lines. 

15 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

False. Where the hell did you pull that nonsense from? Castonzo is rated at 79.4 for 2015, which makes him their 20th overall tackle (includes left and right tackles). That's not great but it's solid. Certainly no where near "one of the worst".

Also, PFF had AC rated as a top 5 tackle in 2014.

You just proved my point. 2014 we had drafted Jack Mewhort. It was his first year next to AC. So of course he had a great season. That year Jack stuck out in all of our eyes. 20th overall is good or even great in your eyes? Did you watch the games last season. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but it's out there. AC didn't have great PFF stats until we moved Jack back to LG. He isn't good at all. Being 20th out of 32 teams is good to you? There are 12 players statistically worst then him. Where the hell do I get off you say? AC this season even said it himself that he wasn't deserving of his contract.

14 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I have said since AC has been here he is more right tackle than left tackle.

You are absolutely correct, but this team is willing to roll one more year. If that Rams game wasn't telling about him then I don't know. Quinn beat him in college and it was the same show in the pros.

12 minutes ago, a06cc said:

You just proved my point. 2014 we had drafted Jack Mewhort. It was his first year next to AC. So of course he had a great season. That year Jack stuck out in all of our eyes. 20th overall is good or even great in your eyes? Did you watch the games last season. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but it's out there. AC didn't have great PFF stats until we moved Jack back to LG. He isn't good at all. Being 20th out of 32 teams is good to you? There are 12 players statistically worst then him. Where the hell do I get off you say? AC this season even said it himself that he wasn't deserving of his contract.

How is Mewhort magically helping AC when he is one on one vs an edge rusher?

34 minutes ago, a06cc said:

They moved Mewhort back to LG after two games, both of which Castonzo and Mewhort played pretty decently. Moving Mewhort was really just to get Herremans out and Joe Reitz in, so they shuffled the line a little bit. 

Also, Castonzo was 20th out of all OTs, not LTs. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd say that puts him around 12th as far as LTs, since the LTs probably graded out better than the RTs. He is not in the lower half of the league at his position, he is borderline top ten, and 2015 was a down year by his standards. 

10 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I agree a QB getting injured doesn't always have to do with the o-line. While that being said does it really need explaining to you why Big Ben gets injured a lot? He holds the ball more and longer than any QB in the league that I can think of. He also very rarely throws the ball away because of it. If you going to use Ben as an example he more than likely wasn't the one to use to make your point.

17 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I can't speak for the OP but here's my rebuttal.

#1 your facts, while they are facts are not factual indictments of the oline. Let me explain...

You state they cannot run block because we've been terrible running the ball. But honestly our backs have had respectable averages per rush (except Richardson).  We have been terrible at running the ball because A. We give up on the run the minute any team scores (a Hamilton/Luck issue) and B. We are extremely predictable when we run the ball and pass the ball (again a Hamilton issue).  Even with said predictability we were getting modest yards per carry so put in a position to fail and the Oline still succeeded...

Your second statement says the oline is bad because Luck is always leading the league with QB hits.... yet Luck is also leading the league with amount of time to throw... regardless of his hits if he has the time (which is statistically proven) then the oline is again doing their job.  This is again at fault of Luck/Hamilton for not scheming and/or using the time that is given to them.

#2 your anti endorsement of Thorton, Holmes, Reitz and Good.  If you watch the tape the oline did wonders when Holmes was in.  Him being benched for a Center that literally makes me laugh at his awfulness isn't Holmes' fault but the coaches.  Thornton was playing out of his mind again this year until injury.  So yes I'm all for getting him a replacement but imo the line has 4 players to work with and one injury prone.  

#3 our oline is much better than what everyone perceives.  Are they elite? I don't know of any oline save the Cowboys are elite in the league (all olines have questions right now) but they are in legitimate contention to be average and maybe slightly above average in comparison to the rest of the league.

Just my take :-)

Serge.....   first off....    good post.    Very thoughtful and I always appreciate that....

Allow me to share some thoughts here....    Apologies that this is going to be a pretty long post.   It's unavoidable.

First, I've made all of the same arguments you've made over the last four years.     But at some point there has to be a bottom line.

So, to the point that you make that Luck has been among the league leaders in time afforded by his offensive line,  I'd say this....    show me a link that says that's been the case for all four years,  because I don't think that's the case.    The first time I remember this surfacing was in 2014 and there was great shock here on Colts.com.         I'm not sure it's been the case for all four years.  

But I'd add this....    for discussion sake, let's say it's true...  all four years...   I don't see it as a plus for the OL,  I'd view it as a plus for Luck and his ability to move within the pocket and buy time...    the guy Luck is most often compared to is Ben Roethlisberger and that's Ben's best trait...   buying extra time in the pocket by moving around.    Luck does it too because he's constantly under pressure and he's desperate to try and make a play.

To the running game....   I believe we're at 70 games in the Grigson era of no running back having 100 yards in a single game.    64 regular season games,  and 6 playoff games.    Not a single back has rushed for 100 yards.     I agree that we abandon the rush too soon and we're predictable when we do run.   I've made the same arguments for four years now.      But at some point,  the line has to be at least somewhat responsible for the lack of production.    We had Arians,  we had Chudzinski...    70 games, and nothing.

As to some of the o-lineman....   again,  I'm as big a supporter of Holmes as there is here.   But he can't stay healthy.    He had a very nice 5 game stretch at the end of the 2014 season.   But that's it for him in his 3 years.     5 games.     Otherwise,  he's either not healthy,  or he's not performing well enough to keep his job.   Thornton?    I'm attached to the kid.    I like him personally, and if he could stay healthy, I think he'd be pretty darn good.    But he can't seem to stay healthy enough his first three years.    

And so, it's now year 5 of Grigson/Pagano and they're openly saying that we have to get better at Center and Guard.     Now, since we know they're fine with Mewhort,   then they're calling out Holmes and Thornton.   What does that tell you?       I love both those guys and wish they'd pay off for us,  but are we ready to gamble AGAIN on them in Year 5 of Luck's tenure?     I don't think we can after losing Luck for 9 games this year.

Sorry this went so long,  but I wanted to address all your points....   points I actually like and have made before.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree a QB getting injured doesn't always have to do with the o-line. While that being said does it really need explaining to you why Big Ben gets injured a lot? He holds the ball more and longer than any QB in the league that I can think of. He also very rarely throws the ball away because of it. If you going to use Ben as an example he more than likely wasn't the one to use to make your point.

I agree with you but I think my point was missed.  Ben is the exact same type of QB we have that is why I brought him into the conversation. Luck holds onto the ball longer but doesn't move and that's a big reason why he gets hit so much.  Luck also refuses to throw the ball away a lot and again doesn't move he will just take the hit and throw while being hit.  We literally have the same QB except ours is way way more ballsy and sits in the pocket instead of scrambling.

2 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I agree with you but I think my point was missed.  Ben is the exact same type of QB we have that is why I brought him into the conversation. Luck holds onto the ball longer but doesn't move and that's a big reason why he gets hit so much.  Luck also refuses to throw the ball away a lot and again doesn't move he will just take the hit and throw while being hit.  We literally have the same QB except ours is way way more ballsy and sits in the pocket instead of scrambling.

I don't think your point was overlooked. It's just a difference in opinions on the o-line. No big deal. It happens every thread so it is nothing personal. Next topic? :D

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Serge.....   first off....    good post.    Very thoughtful and I always appreciate that....

Allow me to share some thoughts here....    Apologies that this is going to be a pretty long post.   It's unavoidable.

First, I've made all of the same arguments you've made over the last four years.     But at some point there has to be a bottom line.

So, to the point that you make that Luck has been among the league leaders in time afforded by his offensive line,  I'd say this....    show me a link that says that's been the case for all four years,  because I don't think that's the case.    The first time I remember this surfacing was in 2014 and there was great shock here on Colts.com.         I'm not sure it's been the case for all four years.  

But I'd add this....    for discussion sake, let's say it's true...  all four years...   I don't see it as a plus for the OL,  I'd view it as a plus for Luck and his ability to move within the pocket and buy time...    the guy Luck is most often compared to is Ben Roethlisberger and that's Ben's best trait...   buying extra time in the pocket by moving around.    Luck does it too because he's constantly under pressure and he's desperate to try and make a play.

To the running game....   I believe we're at 70 games in the Grigson era of no running back having 100 yards in a single game.    64 regular season games,  and 6 playoff games.    Not a single back has rushed for 100 yards.     I agree that we abandon the rush too soon and we're predictable when we do run.   I've made the same arguments for four years now.      But at some point,  the line has to be at least somewhat responsible for the lack of production.    We had Arians,  we had Chudzinski...    70 games, and nothing.

As to some of the o-lineman....   again,  I'm as big a supporter of Holmes as there is here.   But he can't stay healthy.    He had a very nice 5 game stretch at the end of the 2014 season.   But that's it for him in his 3 years.     5 games.     Otherwise,  he's either not healthy,  or he's not performing well enough to keep his job.   Thornton?    I'm attached to the kid.    I like him personally, and if he could stay healthy, I think he'd be pretty darn good.    But he can't seem to stay healthy enough his first three years.    

And so, it's now year 5 of Grigson/Pagano and they're openly saying that we have to get better at Center and Guard.     Now, since we know they're fine with Mewhort,   then they're calling out Holmes and Thornton.   What does that tell you?       I love both those guys and wish they'd pay off for us,  but are we ready to gamble AGAIN on them in Year 5 of Luck's tenure?     I don't think we can after losing Luck for 9 games this year.

Sorry this went so long,  but I wanted to address all your points....   points I actually like and have made before.

Not a problem! I like good conversation.

I agree and you are correct the line has not been stable for 4 years.  Imo only last year was really the first acceptable year. But that is expected.  Oline play has a ton to do with continued reps with your guys so you can work as a team.  Knowing how your bookend is going to approach a certain rusher makes your spot at Guard easier when you know what space you have.  

I addressed the Ben and Luck comparison with my other post.  I see them the same as well but with one big difference.  Ben will scramble and Luck will not.  Luck is more willing to take the hit and throw while being hit and Ben is more of a runner around in circles guy until he sees it come open.  Luck's scrambling usually is a run for yards not behind the line.

I can't describe the running game in a vacuum over 4 years but I can tell you last year we should've had easily a 100 yard rusher in 6 or so games.  When the RB is averaging 4 ypc then why stop?  That doesn't show me it isn't working and we need to give up on it, it shows me we continuously gave up too soon.  Then Luck got hurt and they focused on our run game which kinda kills the offense anyways when your QB gets hurt.

I agree on the injury concerns.  That's the big reason why both are looking to be replaced and that sucks for us because Thorton really has potential.  But Holmes is the one I get baffled on.  He gets an ankle injury (most would think he's out for a week or so) and it's like he just loses his job to a guy who is laughably bad.  It makes no sense.

I'm willing to gamble on Holmes in a zbs yes.  But I'm all for getting a G to replace.  Just not in the first round.  

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think your point was overlooked. It's just a difference in opinions on the o-line. No big deal. It happens every thread so it is nothing personal. Next topic? :D

Gotchya :)

10 hours ago, a06cc said:

Your point was that Castonzo was one of the worst tackles rated by PFF in 2015. He was 20th out of 77 rated tackles (not 32). He got a 79.4 (light green) rating by them which is good. You're just spewing nonsense.

And claiming Jack Mewhort made AC is simply baseless and erroneous.

Our O-line problems are overstated but it's still a need.  

Luck's kidney injury came when he ran for a first down

Whitehurst got hurt in a non contact injury while running to the sideline.

Neither of these are on the O-line.

Hasselbeck was 40 years old and got beat up.  That might be partially on the O-line but there is a reason that 40 year old men don't usually play in the NFL.  Not nearly as easy to take the pounding and bounce back.  

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Hasselbeck was 40 years old and got beat up.  That might be partially on the O-line but there is a reason that 40 year old men don't usually play in the NFL.  Not nearly as easy to take the pounding and bounce back.  

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The last sentence is key.....he was taking a pounding.

18 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I'm amazed that people can't see this or refuse to acknowledge it. Living in lala land 

I think they see it but they have also just seen the Broncos win a super bowl with a kick butt defense. They seem to think by drafting a pass rusher it would solve a lot of problems. The two areas of need are just as important as each other. For some reason it's not a sexy pick to take a center in the first round no matter how bad we are at that position. Games are won and lost in the trenches, always have and always will. It's who controls the line of scrimmage.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think they see it but they have also just seen the Broncos win a super bowl with a kick butt defense. They seem to think by drafting a pass rusher it would solve a lot of problems. The two areas of need are just as important as each other. For some reason it's not a sexy pick to take a center in the first round no matter how bad we are at that position. Games are won and lost in the trenches, always have and always will. It's who controls the line of scrimmage.

download (8).jpg

On March 4, 2016 at 1:42 AM, The Peytonator said:

They moved Mewhort back to LG after two games, both of which Castonzo and Mewhort played pretty decently. Moving Mewhort was really just to get Herremans out and Joe Reitz in, so they shuffled the line a little bit. 

Also, Castonzo was 20th out of all OTs, not LTs. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd say that puts him around 12th as far as LTs, since the LTs probably graded out better than the RTs. He is not in the lower half of the league at his position, he is borderline top ten, and 2015 was a down year by his standards. 

It was 4 games they moved him back. And when a player himself says he sucks why can't you guys on this forum get it? 

29 minutes ago, a06cc said:

It was 4 games they moved him back. And when a player himself says he sucks why can't you guys on this forum get it? 

He said he sucked because of his own standards, not the leagues. Why don't you get it?

I'm hoping that the new O-line coach helps as well.

I think the O-line definitely needs to be addressed, though.  Our running game was lacking and the QB, whoever it was, didn't seem to have much time to throw the ball. 

I think the jury is still out on D. Good at RT.  They may go with one in the draft but the Center and RG positions still need some attention.  I had hopes for Thorton but I'm not sure.  

59 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I'm hoping that the new O-line coach helps as well.

I think the O-line definitely needs to be addressed, though.  Our running game was lacking and the QB, whoever it was, didn't seem to have much time to throw the ball. 

I think the jury is still out on D. Good at RT.  They may go with one in the draft but the Center and RG positions still need some attention.  I had hopes for Thorton but I'm not sure.  

With us rumored to be switching to a zone blocking scheme we should be okay. Most of our guys fit a ZB scheme. Last season we ran a power as I'm sure you know. I'm intrigued as you are to see what happens next season. 

Offensive lien statistics are very, very questionable because they don't judge the group as a collective, as some have said here...

....we need to find a unit that is much more effective than what we have had the last 2 or 3 years..

We could use an upgrade at all 3 line positions, in my opinion..

Tackles aren't terrible but, again, an upgrade is what we seek.

To me, you look to add O-linemen every year..but we have a pressing need for an upgrade.

best player available at any of the 3 line positions

The problems with the O-line are not exaggerated. We need a combination of some new personnel as well as new coaching. Obviously we have made a coaching change, I think for the better. Personally I believe that AC is one of the better run blocking LT's in football. He is very nimble and can make combination blocks and get to the second level well. I think with him and Mewhort on that left side we can have a very good nucleus with them for a number of years. I think the change in blocking scheme will benefit AC and his skill set. I think Reitz is a guy who can be a part of this line for a number of years as well just not sure if he's better at G or RT. We need more talent at C and more competition at RT.

On 3/3/2016 at 6:04 PM, The Peytonator said:

There are a lot of people on here who subscribe to the notion that we have one of the worst lines in the league. Sure, just as with any team, the line could be improved and we shouldn't exactly be happy with it, especially their run and screen blocking. But it has improved every year under the new regime, and by my eyes was right around par with the rest of the league. The Patriots and Seahawks both had far worse lines, but they negated it with excellent scheming/QB play. The whole, 'We went through 5 QBs last year so our Oline sucks' narrative is wrong for several reasons. 

1. Technically we only had 3 injured QBs. Freeman and Lindley were brought in for the last game; Freeman played the bulk of it, Lindley ran the hurry up offense at the end of the first half and got us a TD.

2. Luck had a couple injuries, and contrary to what a lot of posters would have us believe, they were largely on him. A lot of people think he was hurt in the first or second game when he was getting hit left and right from NY and Buffalo's massive blitzes. That very well could be true, but that doesn't mean it was the line's fault. Typically when facing all out blitzes every down, an offensive coordinator and QB will call out quick hitting plays. You can't expect 5 or 6 pass blockers to be able to block 7 guys long enough that a WR can run a go route and beat his man. Whatever game caused Luck's first injury, it was the fault of Pep Hamilton and himself. Against Denver he got hurt again. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time faulting the Oline with the amount of times he was taking off and running with the ball, only compounding the issue by never sliding. The guy has the biggest balls of any QB in the game, and it caused him to get hurt this year. I'm hoping these issues are fixed this year with a new OC and QB coach.

3. Hasselbeck is a 40 year old man. He scraped out a few wins until the league realized that the old man can't throw down the field, negating our deep threat, and they were able to adjust their defense accordingly. He started taking a few more hits once the offense became too predictable, and big shocker, the 40 year old man's arthritic body couldn't hold up. 

4. Then there's Clipboard Jesus. I'm not even sure why we signed a guy who's been in the league for 10 years and has 2,000 career yards passing. Pat McAfee would have been a better option. Regardless, he also is pretty old, and has never really proven to know what he's doing, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that he lasted half a game. I assume teams just sign him because he has a moderately funny nickname.

I am happy with what Grigson/Pagano have said about the Oline; we're set at tackle and left guard. I would not be thrilled with starting Holmes and Thornton next year, but I would be far less thrilled with using a first rounder on a center or guard. I'm hoping we get some cheap, veteran help at those positions, and also see how Denzelle Good looks at RG. We don't need Alex Mack or Kelechi Osemele. I want to see Irsay's money spent on defenders, and I want to see us draft defenders. 

Really our oline was horrible  what team were you watching? You probably liked our first round draft pick last year to.Grigson is to blame , I hope he learned something,

22 minutes ago, basspapaw said:

Really our oline was horrible  what team were you watching? You probably liked our first round draft pick last year to.Grigson is to blame , I hope he learned something,

Excellent insight and perspective. Tell us more. While your at it tell us how reaching for a lower graded player on a teams draft board is better then taking the BPA on a teams draft board

What a topic? Guess Luck injury and Hasselback getting slammed like it's WWE is not the fault of our pro bowl line, give me a break. Our line is like the borders along Arizona/Texas where everyone comes through.