Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Colts Draft (Post Caldwell Firing)

If Peyton looks healthy we will keep him for another year to help Andrew Luck so we will need to unload some contract to free up cap space to make this happen while fillling out talent on the rest of the team. With that being said, Dwight Freeney is due to count 15 mil against our cap and that just cant happen with both Manning and Luck on the roster.

-Indy trades Freeney to Arizona for their 2012 and 2013 2nd round picks. (Good fit for Freeney in AZ since he will be playing indoors and on a fast track again. Arizona can rework the contract to make it cap friendly since they would like to have him around for at least 3 years.)

1st- QB Andrew Luck

2nd- WR Mohamed Sanu (We will most likely not resign Wayne so we need a new potential #1 target for Luck. I like his size too at 6-2 215 pounds.)

2nd(via trade)- OG Kevin Zeitler (Gives us a quality OG for once and he can start at RG from day one.)

3rd- NT Josh Chapman (We have needed a young NT for years and he could really help free up Nevis, Mathis, and the rest of the pass rushers on this team.)

4th- CB Leonard Johnson (Sleeper pick here but he could develop into a starter for us.)

5th- S Tavon Wilson (Another potential sleeper.)

Rest of draft- BPA

If Peyton looks healthy we will keep him for another year to help Andrew Luck so we will need to unload some contract to free up cap space to make this happen while fillling out talent on the rest of the team. With that being said, Dwight Freeney is due to count 15 mil against our cap and that just cant happen with both Manning and Luck on the roster.

-Indy trades Freeney to Arizona for their 2012 and 2013 2nd round picks. (Good fit for Freeney in AZ since he will be playing indoors and on a fast track again. Arizona can rework the contract to make it cap friendly since they would like to have him around for at least 3 years.)

1st- QB Andrew Luck

2nd- WR Mohamed Sanu (We will most likely not resign Wayne so we need a new potential #1 target for Luck. I like his size too at 6-2 215 pounds.)

2nd(via trade)- OG Kevin Zeitler (Gives us a quality OG for once and he can start at RG from day one.)

3rd- NT Josh Chapman (We have needed a young NT for years and he could really help free up Nevis, Mathis, and the rest of the pass rushers on this team.)

4th- CB Leonard Johnson (Sleeper pick here but he could develop into a starter for us.)

Rest of draft- BPA

How doe your look at the future change if Manning refuses to renegotiate his contract and Irsay realizes that he can not afford to eat the $28 million in cap hit for a one or two years career closing for Peyton. Manning was upset that Bill Polian got the axe and was as close or closer to Caldwell. He may decide he wants out.

1st- QB Andrew Luck

Rest of draft- BPA

Irsay flat out stated in the pc today that he wants to become a more balanced team, which means defense. So I see the Colts trading to the Browns (assuming the Browns want Luck) and drafting Still at #5 and then someone like Poe (DT) or the highest rated CB with the 20 something pick Then use the Colts 2nd round (#34) to pick up someone like Foles then using Cleveland's 2nd round pick (because yes it would take both 1sts and the 2nd to equal the value of the numebr 1 overall) to pick up Chapman, DT Alabama.

Just my opinion. It will be fun to watch over the next couple of months. But I took from Irsay he no longer wants a team so QB dependent.

Irsay flat out stated in the pc today that he wants to become a more balanced team, which means defense. So I see the Colts trading to the Browns (assuming the Browns want Luck) and drafting Still at #5 and then someone like Poe (DT) or the highest rated CB with the 20 something pick Then use the Colts 2nd round (#34) to pick up someone like Foles then using Cleveland's 2nd round pick (because yes it would take both 1sts and the 2nd to equal the value of the numebr 1 overall) to pick up Chapman, DT Alabama.

Just my opinion. It will be fun to watch over the next couple of months. But I took from Irsay he no longer wants a team so QB dependent.

that's a lot to read into such a simple statement

that's a lot to read into such a simple statement

Compared to what the "we will take Luck or be terrible forever, even with Manning" people read into comments? Hardly.

We will not use Manning just as a holdover for Luck. We will not keep him around just to develop Luck. That's not his job, his perogative; any front office member or coaching personnel who attempt that should be immediately fired. Manning's job, if/when healthy, is to score and win. If he's still doing that at a level even semi-Peytonesque, we build to that strength, and that strength alone. Those players will still be there for Luck, or whoever takes over.

We trade Luck, and we get 3-5 1st round picks the next few years, plus any number of developmental picks. That's value above anything Luck can offer. A great team can win Super Bowls. We get more pieces to make a great team (around a QB we know has gotten us there) by trading down than we do by keeping him to not contribute and settling for one developmental pick per round thereafter.

Winning Super Bowls is all that matters, whether now or in 10 years. We know Manning gives us that chance, and we have an opportunity to load him up, much as New England has done with Brady. That's what he deserves. Luck assures us of nothing, but hinders Manning's ability to do it by eating up a lot of space we could have used to pad the team. It's an insult to his remarkable career to handicap that in the hopes of his eventual successor panning out. It's also bad for business. What better way to give a new GM, and new coaches confidence in a system, a philosophy, and an organization than by getting out to early success?

we are drafting andrew luck

there is no reason not to

peyton can give us 4 years MAX!

i dont know about you but i dont want to suffer through another 2-14 season again

TAKE LUCK

WE EARNED HIM

oh if we trade we get alot of picks

really because last i checked talent goes to waste waste without a good qb (jets oakland (til now), rams without bradford and the big one tampa

Compared to what the "we will take Luck or be terrible forever, even with Manning" people read into comments? Hardly.

We will not use Manning just as a holdover for Luck. We will not keep him around just to develop Luck. That's not his job, his perogative; any front office member or coaching personnel who attempt that should be immediately fired. Manning's job, if/when healthy, is to score and win. If he's still doing that at a level even semi-Peytonesque, we build to that strength, and that strength alone. Those players will still be there for Luck, or whoever takes over.

We trade Luck, and we get 3-5 1st round picks the next few years, plus any number of developmental picks. That's value above anything Luck can offer. A great team can win Super Bowls. We get more pieces to make a great team (around a QB we know has gotten us there) by trading down than we do by keeping him to not contribute and settling for one developmental pick per round thereafter.

Winning Super Bowls is all that matters, whether now or in 10 years. We know Manning gives us that chance, and we have an opportunity to load him up, much as New England has done with Brady. That's what he deserves. Luck assures us of nothing, but hinders Manning's ability to do it by eating up a lot of space we could have used to pad the team. It's an insult to his remarkable career to handicap that in the hopes of his eventual successor panning out. It's also bad for business. What better way to give a new GM, and new coaches confidence in a system, a philosophy, and an organization than by getting out to early success?

Agreed completely, they talk about how Irsay is talking change, but then have a mock draft that adresses none of our needs on defense, with a decent pick at least. So let's build our team like we've done in the past and pray like he'll Luck can shoulder the load, like Peyton has done for years.

I believe your right the more I think about it the more I become confident they will trade down and go defense.

Hey everyone thought Caldwell was staying, experts included, and they also think were taking luck...

Looks like Irsay has em right where he wants em.

I agree with needing to balance out the offense and defenese. Not spending all the cap and draft on one side vs the other. However, I still believe that the best choice moving forward is to draft Luck, as our future franchise QB. A franchise QB is still the most important position in football, bar none. Just take a look at the Super Bowl winners since 2004.

2004 - New England (Brady)

2005 - New England (Brady)

2006 - Pittsburgh (Big Ben)

2007 - Indianapolis (P. Manning)

2008 - NY Giants (E. Manning)

2009 - Pittsburgh (Big Ben)

2010 - New Orleans (Brees)

2011 - Green Bay (Rodgers)

Each of these Superbowl winning teams has a franchise QB; and if my memory serves me correct, each had a pretty decent defense. Especially New England and Pittsburgh who are on this list twice. A team needs a QB who can disect a top flight defense, and a defense that can stop a top flight QB.

I'm a firm believer in Quarterback; Offensive Line/Defensive Line...take care of that and all the pieces fall into place much smoother. Elite QB means having the ability to disect any defense. A solid O-line means the QB stays injury free, has time to make the best throw, and the running game is solid. A solid D-line means that constant pressure is getting to the QB and running lanes are closing.

PS. To all you nay-sayers; I understand that you don't need a first overall pick to get a franchise QB. However, when you hold that first pick and a potential franchise QB is there for the taking, you grab him. It would be much more risky to grab RG3; Tannehill, Foles, etc., later in the draft, than to grab Luck whose risk factor is much lower, in my opinion

I agree with needing to balance out the offense and defenese. Not spending all the cap and draft on one side vs the other. However, I still believe that the best choice moving forward is to draft Luck, as our future franchise QB. A franchise QB is still the most important position in football, bar none. Just take a look at the Super Bowl winners since 2004.

2004 - New England (Brady)

2005 - New England (Brady)

2006 - Pittsburgh (Big Ben)

2007 - Indianapolis (P. Manning)

2008 - NY Giants (E. Manning)

2009 - Pittsburgh (Big Ben)

2010 - New Orleans (Brees)

2011 - Green Bay (Rodgers)

Each of these Superbowl winning teams has a franchise QB; and if my memory serves me correct, each had a pretty decent defense. Especially New England and Pittsburgh who are on this list twice. A team needs a QB who can disect a top flight defense, and a defense that can stop a top flight QB.

I'm a firm believer in Quarterback; Offensive Line/Defensive Line...take care of that and all the pieces fall into place much smoother. Elite QB means having the ability to disect any defense. A solid O-line means the QB stays injury free, has time to make the best throw, and the running game is solid. A solid D-line means that constant pressure is getting to the QB and running lanes are closing.

PS. To all you nay-sayers; I understand that you don't need a first overall pick to get a franchise QB. However, when you hold that first pick and a potential franchise QB is there for the taking, you grab him. It would be much more risky to grab RG3; Tannehill, Foles, etc., later in the draft, than to grab Luck whose risk factor is much lower, in my opinion

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the Colts drafting Luck if that's who they want. Mock drafts are just about guessing what the team will do and based on the comments from Irsay, I am guessing they may not go Luck.

Jan 14 The Colts cannot trade Peyton Manning

Written by Greg Cowan.

Using the numbers from Brett Mock, Joe Baker, and reader "Sarcasm", Greg Cowan shows us why it's impossible for the Colts to trade Peyton Manning.

Peyton Manning's name has been mentioned in numerous trade rumors lately. If you believe the rumors, it may seem as if just about every team in the NFL will be making a trade offer for him this off-season. Most media outlets seem happy to report on these rumors as if they were realistic: they get the reactions of players on the rumored destination, they get their experts to talk about how Manning would improve each team, and they talk about how that team would invariably become an immediate contender.

What they fail to mention, however, is that it will be all but impossible for the Colts to trade Peyton Manning and still field a legal team.

Using numbers from Joe Baker's article on Manning's contract (with an assist from reader/commenter named "Sarcasm") and from Brett Mock's article regarding veteran contracts, we can do some basic math and look at the reality of the situation.

The NFL's Salary Cap in 2011 was approximately $120MM. There is not expected to be much, if any, increase in the 2012 cap. For argument's sake (and to further make our point) let's work off of a 2012 Salary Cap of $125,000,000.00.

Based on multiple reports from experts such as John Clayton and even Colts owner Jim Irsay's own words, the Colts are already at or over the 2011 salary cap.

Using the most Colts-friendly numbers from Baker's article, the team would incur a $38,400,000 hit for trading Manning after paying him the March 8th bonus. Assuming they were already at $120,000,000.00, this would now put them at $158,400,000 for our hypothetical $125,000,000.00 cap.

In order to get under the cap, the Colts would obviously have to shed salary. Now we'll turn our attention to Mock's article. Using his numbers, we see that the Colts could save $13,600,000 on the cap by cutting the following veterans after June 1st, 2012: Dallas Clark, Gary Brackett, Joseph Addai, Melvin Bulitt, Adam Vinatieri, Jerry Hughes, Donald Brown, Antonio Johnson, Zac Diles, Fili Moala and Justin Snow.

If we remove the $13,600,000 from our $158,400,000 cap, we find ourselves sitting at $144,800,000, almost $20 million over our hypothetical Salary Cap. And if the Colts were to pull the last rabbit out of their hat and cut Dwight Freeney and Antoine Bethea? The Colts would save an additional $17,235,000 against the 2012 cap.

At this point, the Colts would still find themselves around $3,000,000 over the cap. They will have cut almost every productive and useful veteran from their roster. Most importantly, from a cap standpoint, they will still have to replace the cut players. Even if they replace them with minimum-salary scrubs, the Colts will still find themselves close to $10,000,000 over the 2012 salary cap.

So while it is nice to dream up potential trade scenarios for Peyton Manning, the fact is, they would be better off paying Manning his option bonus to sit on the couch watching "Hannah Montana" than they would be trading him.

Irsay has said several times and Mort has reported we will not trade the pick.

Could be. But when have the Colts ever been forthcoming about their draft strategy?

All of this will they take Luck or do something else with the pick will be answered well in advance of the draft - specifically March 8th. If no $28 million to Manning, they will most certainly take Luck.

If they do pay it, I would still say the odds are high Luck is the pick.

Jan 14 The Colts cannot trade Peyton Manning

Written by Greg Cowan.

Using the numbers from Brett Mock, Joe Baker, and reader "Sarcasm", Greg Cowan shows us why it's impossible for the Colts to trade Peyton Manning.

Peyton Manning's name has been mentioned in numerous trade rumors lately. If you believe the rumors, it may seem as if just about every team in the NFL will be making a trade offer for him this off-season. Most media outlets seem happy to report on these rumors as if they were realistic: they get the reactions of players on the rumored destination, they get their experts to talk about how Manning would improve each team, and they talk about how that team would invariably become an immediate contender.

What they fail to mention, however, is that it will be all but impossible for the Colts to trade Peyton Manning and still field a legal team.

Using numbers from Joe Baker's article on Manning's contract (with an assist from reader/commenter named "Sarcasm") and from Brett Mock's article regarding veteran contracts, we can do some basic math and look at the reality of the situation.

The NFL's Salary Cap in 2011 was approximately $120MM. There is not expected to be much, if any, increase in the 2012 cap. For argument's sake (and to further make our point) let's work off of a 2012 Salary Cap of $125,000,000.00.

Based on multiple reports from experts such as John Clayton and even Colts owner Jim Irsay's own words, the Colts are already at or over the 2011 salary cap.

Using the most Colts-friendly numbers from Baker's article, the team would incur a $38,400,000 hit for trading Manning after paying him the March 8th bonus. Assuming they were already at $120,000,000.00, this would now put them at $158,400,000 for our hypothetical $125,000,000.00 cap.

In order to get under the cap, the Colts would obviously have to shed salary. Now we'll turn our attention to Mock's article. Using his numbers, we see that the Colts could save $13,600,000 on the cap by cutting the following veterans after June 1st, 2012: Dallas Clark, Gary Brackett, Joseph Addai, Melvin Bulitt, Adam Vinatieri, Jerry Hughes, Donald Brown, Antonio Johnson, Zac Diles, Fili Moala and Justin Snow.

If we remove the $13,600,000 from our $158,400,000 cap, we find ourselves sitting at $144,800,000, almost $20 million over our hypothetical Salary Cap. And if the Colts were to pull the last rabbit out of their hat and cut Dwight Freeney and Antoine Bethea? The Colts would save an additional $17,235,000 against the 2012 cap.

At this point, the Colts would still find themselves around $3,000,000 over the cap. They will have cut almost every productive and useful veteran from their roster. Most importantly, from a cap standpoint, they will still have to replace the cut players. Even if they replace them with minimum-salary scrubs, the Colts will still find themselves close to $10,000,000 over the 2012 salary cap.

So while it is nice to dream up potential trade scenarios for Peyton Manning, the fact is, they would be better off paying Manning his option bonus to sit on the couch watching "Hannah Montana" than they would be trading him.

While i agree that we will not trade Manning and can not trade Manning, what that article does NOT point out is that:

Of that $38million cap hit for manning, that does NOT add an EXTRA $38million to the cap when you consider he already counted $17million toward it last year...so you can subtract $17million from out $158million that the writer comes up with and have $141million....

Then subtract roughly $5.5million for Kerry Collins/Dan Orlovski/Curtis Painter and we have $136.5million...

Then the author says " we see that the Colts could save $13,600,000 on the cap by cutting the following veterans after June 1st, 2012: Dallas Clark, Gary Brackett, Joseph Addai, Melvin Bulitt, Adam Vinatieri, Jerry Hughes, Donald Brown, Antonio Johnson, Zac Diles, Fili Moala and Justin Snow."....so subtract that $13.6million and we have $122.9million, which by all means is below the author's proposed $125million cap #

So while i do NOT think that Peyton will be traded, the author does not have their facts straight.

While i agree that we will not trade Manning and can not trade Manning, what that article does NOT point out is that:

Of that $38million cap hit for manning, that does NOT add an EXTRA $38million to the cap when you consider he already counted $17million toward it last year...so you can subtract $17million from out $158million that the writer comes up with and have $141million....

Then subtract roughly $5.5million for Kerry Collins/Dan Orlovski/Curtis Painter and we have $136.5million...

Then the author says " we see that the Colts could save $13,600,000 on the cap by cutting the following veterans after June 1st, 2012: Dallas Clark, Gary Brackett, Joseph Addai, Melvin Bulitt, Adam Vinatieri, Jerry Hughes, Donald Brown, Antonio Johnson, Zac Diles, Fili Moala and Justin Snow."....so subtract that $13.6million and we have $122.9million, which by all means is below the author's proposed $125million cap #

So while i do NOT think that Peyton will be traded, the author does not have their facts straight.

The author also fails to point out that Mathis, Wayne, Diem, Saturday, Gonzo, Simms, Anderson, Brayton, Garcon, Tamme etc are all off the books unless we resign them...

All of this will they take Luck or do something else with the pick will be answered well in advance of the draft - specifically March 8th. If no $28 million to Manning, they will most certainly take Luck.

If they do pay it, I would still say the odds are high Luck is the pick.

True dat. I think if Manning proves to be healthy the colts may shock the NFL world and take RGIII rather than Luck. Just with some comments he made about talking with people and getting ideas on where the NFL is going, etc. If Manning is released outright because of health then I see the Colts taking Luck as the more capable to step in and play from day 1.

True dat. I think if Manning proves to be healthy the colts may shock the NFL world and take RGIII rather than Luck. Just with some comments he made about talking with people and getting ideas on where the NFL is going, etc. If Manning is released outright because of health then I see the Colts taking Luck as the more capable to step in and play from day 1.

That is reasonable.

I am mad at you by the way.

1st- QB Andrew Luck

Rest of draft- BPA

Solid draft.

Round

Name

Position

Collage

Ht. Wt.

Other Notes

Andrew Luck

QB

Stanford

6’4” 235

Peyton Manning’s Successor

Brandon Thompson

DT

Clemson

6’3” 305

Run Stopper

Brandon Boykins

CB

Georgia

5’10 185

Future Star

Jeff Fuller

WR

Texas A&M

6’4” 215

Best Hands Good Size

4 com

Mike Brewster

C

Ohio

6’5” 295

Jeff Saturday Successor

Sean Spence

OLB Miami 6’0” 212 22 Fast Blitz/Cover OLB

5 com

Matt Reynolds

OT

BYU

6’6” 325

Injury Filled Year But Ex R1 Pick

Ryan Miller

OG

Colorado

6’8” 320

Big Wont Be Pushed Around

Donyae Coleman

SS

N. Mexico

5’10 175

Amazing Insane Good Safety

That's not something I get credited with very often... especially not by my wife.

Now you do sound like my wife. So I will respond the same way I respond to her... What did I do this time?

In a season that went astray both on the field and in this board, you left me alone to fight the good fight.

In a season that went astray both on the field and in this board, you left me alone to fight the good fight.

I know, like I told Chad72 things got swamped at work. There were nights when I couldn't sleep I would log in and start reading the board and I would have to force myself to get off the board before posting beause I knew I would not get any sleep if I started. I do sincerely apologize.

1st 1 Andrew Luck QB Stanford 6'4" 235

2nd 34 Nick Toon WR Wisconsin 6'2" 220

3rd 65 Josh Chapman DT Alabama 6'1" 310

4th 98 Shaun Prater CB Iowa 5'10" 185

5th 130 Ryan Miller OG Colorado 6'8" 298

6th 161 Jake Baquette DE Arkansas 6'5" 271

7th 194 BJ Cunningham WR Michigan St. 6'2" 223

this would be my idea of a solid draft, but it would all hinge on us releasing Manning and maybe picking up a S and CB through FA.