Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone interested in Mario Williams

with the fact Spence may fall out of the first and most FA pass rushers are being retained, yea he may be a stop gap for 2-3 years, hopefully not Tent Cole 2.0 as someone posted lol, does anyone know if he played better as a DE in a 4-3 or as a OLB in a 3-4, i know he has had double digit sack season with both systems

Guy was just complaining about the Bills scheme where he dropped in coverage a whopping 4.9 percent of the time(gasp).  He'd be doing that here as well so we'll be getting the same guy who hated that in Buffalo.  I don't see it.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Guy was just complaining about the Bills scheme where he dropped in coverage a whopping 4.9 percent of the time(gasp).  He'd be doing that here as well so we'll be getting the same guy who hated that in Buffalo.  I don't see it.

I don't remember Mathis dropping into coverage much.  Plus, Colts have a new DC.

There are very limited options for pass rush. I'm not sure an NFL ready sack artist falls to us in the draft. Mario could be an option. It's at least got to be considered. I think he can generate some sacks in the right scheme. Unfortunately I think he will get overpaid where ever he goes.

12 hours ago, BOTT said:

I don't remember Mathis dropping into coverage much.  Plus, Colts have a new DC.

12 hours ago, BOTT said:

I think he could be productive but he's lead by his mind. And to me it seems his mind keeps saying "I don't want to play in that scheme". When you know your mind is telling you that you don't pick a situation like ours to play in. That is of course he's willing to bypass his mind for dollars which usually comes back to haunt.

why is everyone saying he is a 4-3 guy?  he is damn near 300 lbs and played DE for the Bills in a 3-4....

he would be a great addition to the Colts as a DE.  Even if we draft a pass rusher and get Anderson and Jones back healthy, Williams would still be a big addition to the DLine

19 minutes ago, Kyle said:

why is everyone saying he is a 4-3 guy?  he is damn near 300 lbs and played DE for the Bills in a 3-4....

he would be a great addition to the Colts as a DE.  Even if we draft a pass rusher and get Anderson and Jones back healthy, Williams would still be a big addition to the DLine

He has stated he isn't comfortable playing in a 3-4 scheme and it's been noted that he isn't by several media people. We play a 3-4 so that is a problem. Not only that he is over 30 and will want too much money. No thanks. I would sign Mack before him to help protect Andrew.

In light of what I stated in my previous comments it could also be a thing with Mario where he was just frustrated with changing the scheme to begin with.  More of a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of thing.  It may not even be 4-3 or 3-4 with him because he's been productive in both schemes. It's possible he looked at it like if we've got something working why change it?  They were highly productive under Schwartz and then Rex comes in and changes the whole thing.  Mario probably would have been fussing if they stayed with a 4-3 and went to all new techniques and methods of attack and it didn't work out.  I'm just looking at the other side of the coin here.

I'd rather develop a younger pass rusher but for anyone who has ever actually watched Bills games and also knows he played 34 OLB in Houston would know he is scheme versatile. Meaning he can play 43 LDE and 34 Sam Linebacker

7 hours ago, Gavin said:

I'd rather develop a younger pass rusher but for anyone who has ever actually watched Bills games and also knows he played 34 OLB in Houston would know he is scheme versatile. Meaning he can play 43 LDE and 34 Sam Linebacker

The colts can't wait around for two yes for a guy to develop.  Signing Williams should t prevent the colts from drafting a young pass rusher anyways.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The colts can't wait around for two yes for a guy to develop.  Signing Williams should t prevent the colts from drafting a young pass rusher anyways.

No but it will take almost all snaps away from the potential drafted pass rusher. He would be rotting on the bench getting a couple snaps here or there. Many players cant develop just in practice, They need meaningful snaps in a real game. Unless Williams got injured that would not happen. We saw it when we got Cole. Newsome who had 6 sacks the prior year had 6 sacks, Werner had 4 his 1st year as a starter

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

No but it will take almost all snaps away from the potential drafted pass rusher. He would be rotting on the bench getting a couple snaps here or there. Many players cant develop just in practice, They need meaningful snaps in a real game. Unless Williams got injured that would not happen. We saw it when we got Cole. Newsome who had 6 sacks the prior year had 6 sacks, Werner had 4 his 1st year as a starter

No he wouldn't.  If the Colts signed Williams that would make the colts best pass rushers 31 and 35.  If a rookie didn't see the field it would be in him.

We didn't see it with Newsome or Werner.  People on this forum were warned about Newsome and his sack totals his rookie year.  And Werner just stinks.

15 minutes ago, BOTT said:

No he wouldn't.  If the Colts signed Williams that would make the colts best pass rushers 31 and 35.  If a rookie didn't see the field it would be in him.

We didn't see it with Newsome or Werner.  People on this forum were warned about Newsome and his sack totals his rookie year.  And Werner just stinks.

Well I'm just hoping when Werner is gone he still stinks. I'd have to go over each of Newsomes sacks his rookie year again but he did produce

On 3/3/2016 at 8:56 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He has stated he isn't comfortable playing in a 3-4 scheme and it's been noted that he isn't by several media people. We play a 3-4 so that is a problem. Not only that he is over 30 and will want too much money. No thanks. I would sign Mack before him to help protect Andrew.

If i had to choose between Mack and Williams....... I'd pick Mack in a heartbeat