Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rock8591

Your 2015 re-draft

I know no need to beat a dead horse, nor engage in implausible scenarios...but here was my dream draft.

1. Eddie Goldman or Rob Havenstein - give us that NT or OT needed for years to come.

2. Danielle Hunter - 6'5'' 255 lbs, runs a 4.57...high character...only weakness is very raw but was only 21 when drafted, so easily able to be coached and perform well, ala a happy Jerry Hughes except with higher potential. Had 32 tackles and 6 sacks as a rookie.

3. Henry Anderson

4. Clayton Geathers

5. Karlos Williams (5.7 ypc average as rookie!)

6. TY McGill

6. Denzelle Good

7. L'ael Collins (7th rounders are worthless anyways, call the bluff)

If Dorsett does not blow up this year i could think of 15 players off the top of my head i would have taken instead

Man honestly I'd keep the draft almost the same except for 2 things. I think Dorsett will end up being a star and really break out this season. So.....

Phillip Dorsett

Ali Marpet

Henry Anderson

Clayton Geathers

David Parry

La'el Collins

Thomas Rawles

Denzell Good

Our offensive line would be FIXED. With a great young Guard and a really good young Center. And we'd have a stud young RB. THEN this offseason we wouldn't have to worry about the O-Line. We could use all our cap space on D and draft all D too.

35 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

I know no need to beat a dead horse, nor engage in implausible scenarios...but here was my dream draft.

1. Eddie Goldman or Rob Havenstein - give us that NT or OT needed for years to come.

2. Danielle Hunter - 6'5'' 255 lbs, runs a 4.57...high character...only weakness is very raw but was only 21 when drafted, so easily able to be coached and perform well, ala a happy Jerry Hughes except with higher potential. Had 32 tackles and 6 sacks as a rookie.

3. Henry Anderson

4. Clayton Geathers

6. TY McGill

6. Denzelle Good

Out of curiosity. Why, if you're not going to keep Dorsett as our first would you pick anybody other than Ronald Darby? I agree Havenstein would have been great, but we could have taken him in the 2nd couldn't we have?

List of players we could have had over the last 6-7 years. And just off the top of my head...

Richard Sherman

Justin Houston

Tayshaun Gibson

Brandon Williams

Actually never mind. This makes me too mad LOL.

Eric Kendricks

Tyler Lockett or David Johnson

Henry Anderson

TJ Clemmings

David Parry

Ifo Ekpre Olamu

Lael Collins 

I think we could have gotten Denzel Goode as an udfa but I'm glad we have him

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

List of players we could have had over the last 6-7 years. And just off the top of my head...

Richard Sherman

Justin Houston

Tayshaun Gibson

Brandon Williams

Come on man every team in the league could say that about those guys. Don't get mad. We.have had a few gems of our own over the years. 

As far aa Good as an UDFA I think we may have gotten him but better to be safe. The same goes for John the year before. Miami snagged him off the PS. Grigs seems to hace an eye for OT's too bad he can't find a C to save his life. 

It's REALLY easy to make great GM picks years or even a year later. AT THE TIME I thought Brown (DT, Pats) was better than Dorsett. AT THE TIME I said Darby was a stud..

17 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

It's REALLY easy to make great GM picks years or even a year later. AT THE TIME I thought Brown (DT, Pats) was better than Dorsett. AT THE TIME I said Darby was a stud..

There was a thread started where some of us did a redraft for the colts before the season started based on where players were actually selected.  Somebody not as lazy as me should dig that up.

14 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Richard Sherman

Justin Houston

Tayshaun Gibson

Brandon Williams

You could say that about any team.  Every team in the league (including the teams they currently play for) passed on those guys at least once.  Retrospect is always 20/20.

As for Collins, I think he would have refused to play if we spent a 7th rounder on him.  As an undrafted rookie, I believe (and I may be wrong here) that he was free to negotiate whatever kind of contract he wanted whereas if he were drafted, he would have to accept the slotted salary for a guy taken at that position in the draft.  It was to his advantage to go undrafted.  With that said, my understanding of the CBA isn't perfect, so that may be incorrect.

15 hours ago, rock8591 said:

3. Henry Anderson

4. Clayton Geathers

6. TY McGill

6. Denzelle Good

Hunter was the diamond among many good players drafted by the Vikes last year. We were very pleased with Kendricks and Stefon Diggs but it is Hunter that we are most excited about. He was actually 20 years old when drafted. He turned 21 this past October. He is a stud. 

I agree very much with #7. The Colts and the Vikes could have used Collins. 7th rounders more often than not get cut. If he did not sign, it would still have been worth the risk. If he got indicted for murder, then cut him. But he was seen as a high character guy before that.

6 hours ago, akcolt said:

Come on man every team in the league could say that about those guys. Don't get mad. We.have had a few gems of our own over the years. 

yeah and we should have taken tom brady too to keep him away from the patriots

if only...

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree very much with #7. The Colts and the Vikes could have used Collins. 7th rounders more often than not get cut. If he did not sign, it would still have been worth the risk. If he got indicted for murder, then cut him. But he was seen as a high character guy before that.

teams weren't worried about wasting a 7th, they were worried about PR and the possibility that he would fight system and not sign

he basically said dont draft me so teams listened

15 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

As for Collins, I think he would have refused to play if we spent a 7th rounder on him.  As an undrafted rookie, I believe (and I may be wrong here) that he was free to negotiate whatever kind of contract he wanted whereas if he were drafted, he would have to accept the slotted salary for a guy taken at that position in the draft.  It was to his advantage to go undrafted.  With that said, my understanding of the CBA isn't perfect, so that may be incorrect.

Not sure if the bolded is accurate. I found this in a NJ-based site. 

Quote:

"Just as there are significant differences between undrafted free agents and tryout players, there are significant differences between undrafted free agents and drafted players.

Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts for the rookie minimum, which is $435,000. The minimum salary has built-in increases each year, so a player like former Rutgers linebacker, Kevin Snyder who signed with the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent, will sign a three-year, $1.575 million contract.

That contract doesn't look much different than the one former Rutgers fullback Michael Burton will sign after being drafted in the fifth round, No. 168 overall, by the Lions. The 168th pick in last year's draft signed a four-year, $2.39 million contract. Burton will sign a contract in the same neighborhood, although the league's salaries increase incrementally each year.

The catch is that Snyder will only receive a few thousand dollars guaranteed in a signing bonus. Burton, meanwhile, will be guaranteed more than $170,000 from his signing bonus.

Both players occupy valuable spots on the Lions' 90-man offseason roster. But it's much cheaper to release the undrafted free agent, as the Lions can cut Snyder anytime before the start of the regular season and only lose the relatively insignificant signing bonus. To cut Burton, the Lions would eat a much bigger chunk of guaranteed money, not to mention the waste of a valuable draft pick."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/05/nfl_draft_2015_whats_the_difference_between_an_und.html

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

teams weren't worried about wasting a 7th, they were worried about PR and the possibility that he would fight system and not sign

he basically said dont draft me so teams listened

I am quite aware of all of that. I thought it was worth the risk anyway. He did not have a history of being in trouble with the law, unlike many of the players that were drafted.  If Collins was indicted, just cut him. 

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I am quite aware of all of that. I thought it was worth the risk anyway. He did not have a history of being in trouble with the law, unlike many of the players that were drafted.  If Collins was indicted, just cut him. 

dead horse topic

32 GMs all passed, its strange hearing fans in pure hindsight say what they would have done differently

20 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

dead horse topic

32 GMs all passed, its strange hearing fans in pure hindsight say what they would have done differently

What does hindsight have to do with anything what she said is the truth there was zero risk in spending a late round pick if it don't work out you cut him big deal 

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

What does hindsight have to do with anything what she said is the truth there was zero risk in spending a late round pick if it don't work out you cut him big deal 

hindsight has everything to do with it

we now know that he wasnt involved in a murder but it wasnt clear at the time

it was not about the risk of wasting a pick, it was about PR

edit- colts had just gone through a PR dilemma with irasy too, they didnt want another one

Just now, aaron11 said:

hindsight has everything to do with it

we now know that he wasnt involved in a murder but it wasnt clear at the time

it was not about the risk of wasting a pick, it was about PR

Who cares if he turned out to be involved again you just simply cut him he would have been on the team what a week or so this is what happens when you draft like a pansy 

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Who cares if he turned out to be involved

the colts cared along with every other team

37 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

dead horse topic

It is not hindsight. I kept my PMs that I shared with one Colts fan who liked Collins a lot. Both he and I wrote before and during the draft last year that we wanted our respective teams to take a chance on Collins in the draft. See below: 

I wrote this on May 2nd last year:

"The Vikings had a chance to draft one of your favorite players, Jake Fisher, but they selected Kendricks who I love. I wanted us to trade back in the first round to draft Kendricks. It is great that we got him in the second. However, I am disappointed that we have not drafted a player to protect Teddy who took a lot of hits last year. He will be running for his life if we don't address that line. We have been lucky in finding solid O-linemen in the mid to late rounds in the past (Brandon Fusco, John Sullivan). Hopefully our next pick will be a guard.

What happened to Clemmings? You still have a chance to get him. I am willing to take a chance on Collins despite the uncertainty of his situation. Prior to this he had a reputation of being a high character guy, right?...."

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Not sure if the bolded is accurate. I found this in a NJ-based site. 

Quote:

"Just as there are significant differences between undrafted free agents and tryout players, there are significant differences between undrafted free agents and drafted players.

Undrafted free agents sign three-year contracts for the rookie minimum, which is $435,000. The minimum salary has built-in increases each year, so a player like former Rutgers linebacker, Kevin Snyder who signed with the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent, will sign a three-year, $1.575 million contract.

That contract doesn't look much different than the one former Rutgers fullback Michael Burton will sign after being drafted in the fifth round, No. 168 overall, by the Lions. The 168th pick in last year's draft signed a four-year, $2.39 million contract. Burton will sign a contract in the same neighborhood, although the league's salaries increase incrementally each year.

The catch is that Snyder will only receive a few thousand dollars guaranteed in a signing bonus. Burton, meanwhile, will be guaranteed more than $170,000 from his signing bonus.

Both players occupy valuable spots on the Lions' 90-man offseason roster. But it's much cheaper to release the undrafted free agent, as the Lions can cut Snyder anytime before the start of the regular season and only lose the relatively insignificant signing bonus. To cut Burton, the Lions would eat a much bigger chunk of guaranteed money, not to mention the waste of a valuable draft pick."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/05/nfl_draft_2015_whats_the_difference_between_an_und.html

Thanks for clarifying!

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It is not hindsight. I kept my PMs that I shared with one Colts fan who liked Collins a lot. Both he and I wrote before and during the draft last year that we wanted our respective teams to take a chance on Collins in the draft. See below: 

I wrote this on May 2nd last year:

"The Vikings had a chance to draft one of your favorite players, Jake Fisher, but they selected Kendricks who I love. I wanted us to trade back in the first round to draft Kendricks. It is great that we got him in the second. However, I am disappointed that we have not drafted a player to protect Teddy who took a lot of hits last year. He will be running for his life if we don't address that line. We have been lucky in finding solid O-linemen in the mid to late rounds in the past (Brandon Fusco, John Sullivan). Hopefully our next pick will be a guard.

What happened to Clemmings? You still have a chance to get him. I am willing to take a chance on Collins despite the uncertainty of his situation. Prior to this he had a reputation of being a high character guy, right?...."

the hindsight wasn't referring to his talent, it was referring to the murder investigation

if teams knew he was going to be cleared of any involvement then he was a first round pick.

collins also realized going undrafted was better than being a 7th so his agent made a bluff that worked.  for what its worth, grigson said he did in fact pursue him after the draft but he chose to sign in dallas 

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the hindsight wasn't referring to his talent, it was referring to the murder investigation

if teams knew he was going to be cleared of any involvement then he was a first round pick.

collins also realized going undrafted was better than being a 7th so his agent made a bluff that worked.  for what its worth, grigson said he did in fact pursue him after the draft but he chose to sign in dallas 

And I am referring to the murder investigation. The Colts fan and I thought that despite Collins being a suspect or person of interest in the crime, our teams should take a chance and draft him, despite his threatening not to sign with the team that drafted him. Given that he had no history of trouble with the law, it was worth drafting him in the 7th round. Most 7th rounders don't make the team. So, I figured why not draft him given that he had first round talent. That would not be the first time that a player in trouble got drafted (Christian Peter, Lawrence Phillips, and so many more.)

You won't change my mind and I won't change yours.  So, that's it for me.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

And I am referring to the murder investigation. The Colts fan and I thought that despite Collins being a suspect or person of interest in the crime, our teams should take a chance and draft him, despite his threatening not to sign with the team that drafted him. Given that he had no history of trouble with the law, it was worth drafting him in the 7th round. Most 7th rounders don't make the team. So, I figured why not draft him given that he had first round talent. That would not be the first time that a player in trouble got drafted (Christian Peter, Lawrence Phillips, and so many more.)

You won't change my mind and I won't change yours.  So, that's it for me.

Sadly, I don't think he was a suspect or even a person of interest.  He was just unlucky that he once dated a woman that had been murdered.  I'm sure they talked to every man in her life. He was essentially paying the price for the ray rice fiasco.