Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Kerr listed as #11 starting NT in the league, by BR

rock8591

7 hours ago, MPStack said:

IMO Kerr and Parry are good rotational players, but not the NT the Colts need in my opinion.

I agree on Kerr, Parry has a very high ceiling. Though I think he'll play even better with Anderson back. Really DL is solid enough with Anderson, we just need some better LB,though if we get a stud NT, I won't cry bout it.

Kinda wacky!
 Kerr finally got some steady playing time  the last 4-5 games.
 And if you watched him closely, the last 2-3 games he was starting to throw guys around and playing some pretty decent FB. Stellar buy no means, but it was promising.
 He hasn`t at all Proven he can handle double teams, a weakness so far, but hey, we should look forward seeing his continued progress. Personally, i would like to see him return at no more than 315 lbs and stronger.
 He does show some power and quickness to press the QB with, so more speed and power would enhance his abilities. I see Kerr in the rotation as a DE & a DT in rushing situations.
 Parry IMO, has about all the physical skill and power he is going to have and already plays at a VERY HIGH level mentally, so his ceiling is close to being reached already. Not a good thing.
 Damon Harrison Please!!

16 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Parry IMO, has about all the physical skill and power he is going to have and already plays at a VERY HIGH level mentally, so his ceiling is close to being reached already. Not a good thing.
 Damon Harrison Please!!

I have a hard time believing a rookie NT has reached his ceiling. With access to NFL quality training and time to put on some weight and strength I think he will perform better.

Damon Harrison is a beast. Todd Bowles has said he wants to retain him and Mo Wilk. After cutting Cromratie's salary off the books I think it's probable that a few other tweaks will allow NYJ to retain both.

On 2/27/2016 at 9:50 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Kerr hasn`t at all Proven he can handle double teams,

This is why you need 10 better players on the rest of the defense.  Even if two people can successfully consistently block Kerr and take him completely out of the play, that's 9 other people on offense (usually minus the QB who typically doesn't block anyone) left to account for 10 other people on defense.  SOMEBODY should be able to make a *(&@$#(*$#@ play in that situation.

7 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I have a hard time believing a rookie NT has reached his ceiling. With access to NFL quality training and time to put on some weight and strength I think he will perform better.

Parry`s frame is pretty much maxed out. He can`t get any bigger at his height and be effective. Personally, I don`t see his ceiling being much higher than it already is. A good rotational player, but not the NT needed for a 3-4 base.

Read his weaknesses according to NFL.com   One of the reasons he is not a starter and they have been looking to upgrade is he is lazy.  Grigs even eluded to that after his rookie season.

Never understood the love affair with him he is rotational at best unless he gets his head out of his butt

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/zachariah-kerr?id=2543798

Analysis

Strengths

Has a solid frame with long arms. Good lower-body power -- can collapse the pocket and walk blockers back to the quarterback when he comes off the ball low. Secure tackler. Regularly splits the double team and can stack the point vs. single blocks. Likes the weight room and works to improve.

Weaknesses

Short. Limited agility. Tends to wear down, takes some plays off and effort wanes. Gets fooled by misdirection and can be late to locate the ball. Could stand to improve hand use as a pass rusher and shedding blocks. Regularly faced inferior competition. Has a concussion history.

Draft Projection

Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line

Thick-bodied, long-armed, powerful 3-4 nose tackle with scheme versatility to factor in a rotation for an even or odd front. Uses a lot of finesse and would be best utilized in a defense where he is allowed to slant, stunt and shoot gaps. Has moldable tools to develop.

8 hours ago, MPStack said:

Parry`s frame is pretty much maxed out. He can`t get any bigger at his height and be effective. Personally, I don`t see his ceiling being much higher than it already is. A good rotational player, but not the NT needed for a 3-4 base.

Parry has been told he couldn't do it before. The guy will surprise you, he works his butt off. I like Kerr and think he has potential but Parry will outwork him. I hope they both work hard and improve, but I'm just not convinced Kerr will.

21 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Read his weaknesses according to NFL.com   One of the reasons he is not a starter and they have been looking to upgrade is he is lazy.  Grigs even eluded to that after his rookie season.

Never understood the love affair with him he is rotational at best unless he gets his head out of his butt

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/zachariah-kerr?id=2543798

Analysis

Strengths

Has a solid frame with long arms. Good lower-body power -- can collapse the pocket and walk blockers back to the quarterback when he comes off the ball low. Secure tackler. Regularly splits the double team and can stack the point vs. single blocks. Likes the weight room and works to improve.

Weaknesses

Short. Limited agility. Tends to wear down, takes some plays off and effort wanes. Gets fooled by misdirection and can be late to locate the ball. Could stand to improve hand use as a pass rusher and shedding blocks. Regularly faced inferior competition. Has a concussion history.

Draft Projection

Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line

Thick-bodied, long-armed, powerful 3-4 nose tackle with scheme versatility to factor in a rotation for an even or odd front. Uses a lot of finesse and would be best utilized in a defense where he is allowed to slant, stunt and shoot gaps. Has moldable tools to develop.

This is his draft profile , he's been in the league sometime now, have you not watched the guy play? :pokerface:

On 2/29/2016 at 8:59 AM, ProblChld32 said:

This is his draft profile , he's been in the league sometime now, have you not watched the guy play? :pokerface:

Yes I have and I remember everyone complaining that he should be playing more.  He lost minutes not gained.  He is good in short stretches but he is not a starter. They sat him down for a reason and again Grigson did everything but name him by name when calling out the lazy rookies on the team.

There is a reason he dosent play more and it is mostly due to effort.

Like I said maybe he will get his head out of his butt one of these days and apply himself

On 2/29/2016 at 10:46 AM, pgt_rob said:

It's pretty shocking to me seeing him ranked out so high. He looks okay out there but nothing blew me away. 

Only 16 teams or so run a 3-4, so 11/16 out of starting NTs isn't saying a whole lot.

Also, lots of 3-4 teams are not true 3-4 ones. e.g. Denver Broncos.