Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you want Trumaine Johnson?


Recommended Posts

If the price is right then yes. I would like him or Amukamara. I think Sean Smith, Janoris Jenkins, and Josh Norman are all going to be way overpaid for their services.

 

I remember watching the SB, and hearing that Josh Norman is a huge Colts fan. I mean if he wants to take a pay cut to play for his favorite team I would be ok with that. We can wish right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I didn't get a chance to read the article......    so, I don't know what he's hoping to get.....

 

But my max for Truman is 8.5 Mill....    now, I'd prefer to go 4 years instead of 5....    but I'd go 5 if it gets the deal done at 8.5 mill per.

 

This would keep Vonte as the highest paid Colts corner.....

 

But, all things being equal -- yes! -- I'd very much like to sign Truman.    

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven`t researched anything on T. Johnson and am curious as to whether his play was close to what it was the previous year. Probably means very little, but is he possibly another Maxwell in the making. Played on dominant defense and benefitted from a lights contract year. I know little about this guy. Opinions????  I don`t like to see huge contracts from a player who had a monster contract season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the kid a lot. He has good size at 6'2 he is only 26 I think maybe 27. He won't get a huge deal like Norman or Smith but he will cost. I think he's just what we need next to Vontae.

 

I would be happy if Trumaine at corner and Davis or Wiz were our only FA signings. Those are the biggest holes

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

They probably wont bring back both Jenkins and Johnson. Between those 2 and Smith and Hayward we can get a very good young CB to pair with Davis.

The Rams have already said they will not be bringing both back.  They have a better corner than Johnson who has been injured all year in EJ Gaines.  Jenkins is overrated because he always plays for the INT instead of covering his man.  Johnson doesn't have the ball hawk skills like Jenkins, but mostly because he still covers his guy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rams to Colts said:

The Rams have already said they will not be bringing both back.  They have a better corner than Johnson who has been injured all year in EJ Gaines.  Jenkins is overrated because he always plays for the INT instead of covering his man.  Johnson doesn't have the ball hawk skills like Jenkins, but mostly because he still covers his guy. 

 

First up. Are you a former St Louis Rams fan who's coming on board with us? If so then welcome brother. 2nd. Who had you rather have between Johnson, Jenkins, Smith, Hayward, or Amukamara? I'm not a fan of Amukamara personally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jdubu said:

How much is Josh Norman going to get? Would spending a wad on one defensive guy like this do it for the defense or is he a product of a very good defensive line?

 

Na man he looked like the real deal this year. Some guys get better and better their first 2-3 years then explode onto the scene like that. But Carolina isn't letting him go anywhere. And besides. If we were going to spend big money on 1 player it'd have to be Von Miller of Mo Wilkerson or somebody. We have too many holes for 1 player to fix our D. We need a premier pass rusher, a good number 2 corner, and ILB who can cover, and a big run stuffing NT before we have an elite D IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

Not for the money he's about to get.

 

Most likely we're gonna have to pay one of those guys 8 million per year. Unless we go for Patrick Robinson or something. But we're much better off getting one of the main 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

 

First up. Are you a former St Louis Rams fan who's coming on board with us? If so then welcome brother. 2nd. Who had you rather have between Johnson, Jenkins, Smith, Hayward, or Amukamara? I'm not a fan of Amukamara personally.

I do not like Amukamara because we would get another injury prone guy like Toler.  He is better than Toler but you have to hope he stays healthy.  I like Johnson because of his size and he covers pretty well.  He might not want as much as Smith or Jenkins which is another bonus.  Heyward I am still iffy on because he is a slot guy who might be a solid #2.  Johnson all the way is possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I do not like Amukamara because we would get another injury prone guy like Toler.  He is better than Toler but you have to hope he stays healthy.  I like Johnson because of his size and he covers pretty well.  He might not want as much as Smith or Jenkins which is another bonus.  Heyward I am still iffy on because he is a slot guy who might be a solid #2.  Johnson all the way is possible.

 

I'm starting to agree with you about Johnson. I really like Sean Smith. But he had down year this year. At first I didn't think much of it because he had injuries and stuff. But I think we need to go with the safest bet, and right now I'm inclined to think that's Trumaine Johnson. He's a guy who's gotten better and better and just had the best year of his career, and he's only 26 so his best football is probably ahead of him. But I just read something that said the Rams may put the transition tag on him. So in that case its Jenkins or Smith.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea i saw that report about them tagging him to see what other teams offer.  If we offer him like 7mil a year for 4 years they might not match that though with Jenkins and McLeod having to be resigned.  I like him though and think he is a safe pick for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Yea i saw that report about them tagging him to see what other teams offer.  If we offer him like 7mil a year for 4 years they might not match that though with Jenkins and McLeod having to be resigned.  I like him though and think he is a safe pick for sure.

 

I actually think they'll want to bring Johnson back over Jenkins. Like the other guy said above. They have EJ Gaines who was a beast his rookie year. He'll be back and ready to start this coming season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They have two other good guys other them both of them.  Lamarcus Joyner and EJ are both solid.  I think they bring back Jenkins because he is a ball hawk and big play type guy.  Just my opinion though.  It is the Rams so who knows what the FO will do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

 

First up. Are you a former St Louis Rams fan who's coming on board with us? If so then welcome brother. 2nd. Who had you rather have between Johnson, Jenkins, Smith, Hayward, or Amukamara? I'm not a fan of Amukamara personally.

I am a newly converted Colts St Louis fan. Thank you for welcoming me.  I have to say by reading the posts in here I can tell this fan base is very knowledgeable and a whole lot less jaded. Very excited to root for a team who is focused on fans and winning. Will be a huge change. 

 

My my thoughts on Corners, forgive me if there is something I am not seeing with the team, if Vontae Davis is the man.  He will shut down whoever, when healthy.  You need a solid number 2, and not a number one guy. 

 

Right off the bat...these guys will get too much money: Norman, Smith and Amukamara (Amukamara will be overpaid by the Giants who love to overpay for everyone). Way more than you need to pay. I love Trumane Johnson because he is a solid cover guy who has ball skills.  You need more INTs esp from a guy who will see most of the passes, given Vontae returns to form. Between Jenkins and Johnson, Johnson is better at coverage and Jenkins is more of a ball hawk.  Jenkins will be paid more (most likely by the Rams). you will have a better return on Johnson.  I also like Johnson because he is 6'2". With the size of the WRs in the AFC south, especially at the #2 wide out spot, you need a taller guy.   

 

Second to Johnson, I like Hayward.  Won't command top topbucks and could grow into a number 1 guy, more upside than Johnson.  He is only 26. Wish he had more size, but is the same height range as all corners coming out in the draft.  

 

Third option, not as exciting.. Jeraud powers of Arizona.  Cost you a lot less and plays up to a number 2. Provided Vontae returning to form. Would allow you to pay more for pass rushers, and still have solid play at that spot.   

 

What are the other needs the Colts need to address?  

 

I see see it as the need o-line and d-line help in a big way.  A Solid linebacker. Youthful Depth at RB. Big wr to compliment.  As well as the #2 corner. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

 

I actually think they'll want to bring Johnson back over Jenkins. Like the other guy said above. They have EJ Gaines who was a beast his rookie year. He'll be back and ready to start this coming season.

Knowing Fischer and the team.  I think he prefers Jenkins because he is more or a #1 guy with Gaines coming back to be #2. They don't need to save money because of the cleared space from Long, Cook, and Lauranitis.  IMO 

 

If Jenkins goes crazy on the money, then they will sign Johnson in a heartbeat.  

 

Side note, Lauranitis would look great in a Colts uniform. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Yea i saw that report about them tagging him to see what other teams offer.  If we offer him like 7mil a year for 4 years they might not match that though with Jenkins and McLeod having to be resigned.  I like him though and think he is a safe pick for sure.

I think we'd have to give him around 9mil a year, but I'd do it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rams to Colts said:

I am a newly converted Colts St Louis fan. Thank you for welcoming me.  I have to say by reading the posts in here I can tell this fan base is very knowledgeable and a whole lot less jaded. Very excited to root for a team who is focused on fans and winning. Will be a huge change. 

 

My my thoughts on Corners, forgive me if there is something I am not seeing with the team, if Vontae Davis is the man.  He will shut down whoever, when healthy.  You need a solid number 2, and not a number one guy. 

 

Right off the bat...these guys will get too much money: Norman, Smith and Amukamara (Amukamara will be overpaid by the Giants who love to overpay for everyone). Way more than you need to pay. I love Trumane Johnson because he is a solid cover guy who has ball skills.  You need more INTs esp from a guy who will see most of the passes, given Vontae returns to form. Between Jenkins and Johnson, Johnson is better at coverage and Jenkins is more of a ball hawk.  Jenkins will be paid more (most likely by the Rams). you will have a better return on Johnson.  I also like Johnson because he is 6'2". With the size of the WRs in the AFC south, especially at the #2 wide out spot, you need a taller guy.   

 

Second to Johnson, I like Hayward.  Won't command top topbucks and could grow into a number 1 guy, more upside than Johnson.  He is only 26. Wish he had more size, but is the same height range as all corners coming out in the draft.  

 

Third option, not as exciting.. Jeraud powers of Arizona.  Cost you a lot less and plays up to a number 2. Provided Vontae returning to form. Would allow you to pay more for pass rushers, and still have solid play at that spot.   

 

What are the other needs the Colts need to address?  

 

I see see it as the need o-line and d-line help in a big way.  A Solid linebacker. Youthful Depth at RB. Big wr to compliment.  As well as the #2 corner. 

 

 

 

 

 

Other needs? In order the following are our most important needs and these main 4 I think we have to address this offseason in order to be a true SB contender....

 

Edge Rusher

Guard

Corner

Center

 

That's the 4 must get's. Then we also need either a big run stuffing NT or a DE like Malik Jackson, an ILB with coverage skills, and a ball hawking safety.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trumaine Johnson is the 1 corner I wouldn't mind overpaying for. He is still young at only 26, so his best years are still ahead of him. And he was great statistically last year, and has good size at corner, which is becoming a trend.

 

So of course I want him on the Colts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

 

Other needs? In order the following are our most important needs and these main 4 I think we have to address this offseason in order to be a true SB contender....

 

Edge Rusher

Guard

Corner

Center

 

That's the 4 must get's. Then we also need either a big run stuffing NT or a DE like Malik Jackson, an ILB with coverage skills, and a ball hawking safety.

I do not know if anyone saw the report but Denver has had talks with Malik Jackson and he is wanting around 75mil for 5 years.  That is 15mil per year and a big no thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:10 PM, Rams to Colts said:

Knowing Fischer and the team.  I think he prefers Jenkins because he is more or a #1 guy with Gaines coming back to be #2. They don't need to save money because of the cleared space from Long, Cook, and Lauranitis.  IMO 

 

If Jenkins goes crazy on the money, then they will sign Johnson in a heartbeat.  

 

Side note, Lauranitis would look great in a Colts uniform. 

Looks like they are leaning with tagging Johnson. I would love to have Jenkins if let go and it seems he will be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, krunk said:

Looks like they are leaning with tagging Johnson. I would love to have Jenkins if let go and it seems he will be.

Have to say I am surprised. They must not be very confident in signing Jenkins.  However to guarantee Johnson $12-14 million per year is a serious overspend.  As a former fan, nothing should surprise me.  However, it now feels great to watch the lunacy from the outside. 

 

What will suck, is that all corners price tags just went up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rams to Colts said:

Have to say I am surprised. They must not be very confident in signing Jenkins.  However to guarantee Johnson $12-14 million per year is a serious overspend.  As a former fan, nothing should surprise me.  However, it now feels great to watch the lunacy from the outside. 

 

What will suck, is that all corners price tags just went up. 

Well I wanted Jenkins, but now I'm not so certain financially speaking:

 

 

Janoris Jenkins turned down a 5-year $45 million dollar deal from the Rams. Said that "he was low-balled". Dude what????#NFL

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2/28/11130072/los-angeles-rams-janoris-jenkins-turns-down-free-agent-contract

 



 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, krunk said:

Well I wanted Jenkins, but now I'm not so certain financially speaking:

 

 

Janoris Jenkins turned down a 5-year $45 million dollar deal from the Rams. Said that "he was low-balled". Dude what????#NFL

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2/28/11130072/los-angeles-rams-janoris-jenkins-turns-down-free-agent-contract

 

 


 

Wow!  He also fired his agent.  No wonder the Rams have turned to Johnson. 

 

Appears Jenkins is really working from a sound position, firing his agent and all.  

 

Who's up next for us? Norman will no doubt be tagged by Carolina. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heyward and maybe Smith. I see the Chiefs have started up negotiations with Derrick Johnson who is 33 before they've done anything with Sean Smith. Tells me they are going to let him walk. Janoris may still be in play. The market will tell him what his value is and he will be more realistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The range for Jacoby seems pretty accurate in these rankings. Somewhere between the 4th-best and 11th-best backup QB in the league. I'd say closer to 4th than 11th.       4th-best backup QB: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-backup-quarterback-rankings-where-do-rookies-slot-in 5th-best: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-backup-qb-power-rankings-from-1-32-andy-dalton-gives-cowboys-elite-option-behind-dak-prescott/ 11th-best: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-all-32-backup-quarterbacks-going-into-the-2020-nfl-season
    • All of this is pretty meh....   Jefferson doesn't make a lot of sense to me, neither does Carter. Wonder if there's an injury or covid thingy going on we don't know about.   On Carter, below from the Cowboy's site   COLLEGE: Had 66 tackles with 27 for losses, 12.0 sacks - tied for third in JMU single-season history - one forced fumble, 13 hurries and a pass breakup while starting all 16 games as a consensus first-team All-American senior. Named first-team All-CAA as a junior after starting all 13 games and posted 58 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and a quarterback hurry. Transferred to JMU as a sophomore and played in all 15 games to tally 28 tackles, eight for loss, 4.0 sacks, three pass breakups and four quarterback hurries. Spent two seasons at Rutgers and appeared in five games in 2016, making two tackles, including a half tackle for loss and a half sack. Redshirted as a true freshman in 2015.   PERSONAL: Three-star recruit and top-30 player at Long Reach High School in Baltimore, Md., where he was a team captain who played defensive end and tight end. First-team All-Howard County tight end as a senior and first-team defensive end as a junior. Captain at the Maryland Crab Bowl, featuring most talented seniors from Maryland and was a member of the Baltimore Touchdown Club Super 22 Team as a junior. Multi-sport athlete who also threw shot put for track & field and played basketball at Long Reach. Majored in public policy and administration at James Madison.
    • Matt was a very good college kicker as well won the Groza 2 years before Rodrigo (Not Rigoberto...) but the wheels came off for him last season in Tampa , missed 8 fg's isnt terrible for a rookie BUT 8 PATS isnt a good sign. I would be surprised if some club claimed him from our P.S. at some time though.
  • Members

    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 4,249

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • C0LT5

      C0LT5 134

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chloe6124

      Chloe6124 7,984

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 6,380

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DontEverGiveUp

      DontEverGiveUp 145

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • pacolts56

      pacolts56 5,260

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jal8908

      jal8908 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • stitches

      stitches 9,480

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MFT5

      MFT5 421

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PrincetonTiger

      PrincetonTiger 11,571

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...