Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you want Trumaine Johnson?

If the price is right then yes. I would like him or Amukamara. I think Sean Smith, Janoris Jenkins, and Josh Norman are all going to be way overpaid for their services.

I remember watching the SB, and hearing that Josh Norman is a huge Colts fan. I mean if he wants to take a pay cut to play for his favorite team I would be ok with that. We can wish right?

I didn't get a chance to read the article......    so, I don't know what he's hoping to get.....

But my max for Truman is 8.5 Mill....    now, I'd prefer to go 4 years instead of 5....    but I'd go 5 if it gets the deal done at 8.5 mill per.

This would keep Vonte as the highest paid Colts corner.....

But, all things being equal -- yes! -- I'd very much like to sign Truman.    

I haven`t researched anything on T. Johnson and am curious as to whether his play was close to what it was the previous year. Probably means very little, but is he possibly another Maxwell in the making. Played on dominant defense and benefitted from a lights contract year. I know little about this guy. Opinions????  I don`t like to see huge contracts from a player who had a monster contract season.

I like the kid a lot. He has good size at 6'2 he is only 26 I think maybe 27. He won't get a huge deal like Norman or Smith but he will cost. I think he's just what we need next to Vontae.

I would be happy if Trumaine at corner and Davis or Wiz were our only FA signings. Those are the biggest holes

12 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

They probably wont bring back both Jenkins and Johnson. Between those 2 and Smith and Hayward we can get a very good young CB to pair with Davis.

The Rams have already said they will not be bringing both back.  They have a better corner than Johnson who has been injured all year in EJ Gaines.  Jenkins is overrated because he always plays for the INT instead of covering his man.  Johnson doesn't have the ball hawk skills like Jenkins, but mostly because he still covers his guy. 

2 hours ago, Rams to Colts said:

The Rams have already said they will not be bringing both back.  They have a better corner than Johnson who has been injured all year in EJ Gaines.  Jenkins is overrated because he always plays for the INT instead of covering his man.  Johnson doesn't have the ball hawk skills like Jenkins, but mostly because he still covers his guy. 

First up. Are you a former St Louis Rams fan who's coming on board with us? If so then welcome brother. 2nd. Who had you rather have between Johnson, Jenkins, Smith, Hayward, or Amukamara? I'm not a fan of Amukamara personally.

12 hours ago, Jdubu said:

How much is Josh Norman going to get? Would spending a wad on one defensive guy like this do it for the defense or is he a product of a very good defensive line?

Na man he looked like the real deal this year. Some guys get better and better their first 2-3 years then explode onto the scene like that. But Carolina isn't letting him go anywhere. And besides. If we were going to spend big money on 1 player it'd have to be Von Miller of Mo Wilkerson or somebody. We have too many holes for 1 player to fix our D. We need a premier pass rusher, a good number 2 corner, and ILB who can cover, and a big run stuffing NT before we have an elite D IMO.

23 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

First up. Are you a former St Louis Rams fan who's coming on board with us? If so then welcome brother. 2nd. Who had you rather have between Johnson, Jenkins, Smith, Hayward, or Amukamara? I'm not a fan of Amukamara personally.

I do not like Amukamara because we would get another injury prone guy like Toler.  He is better than Toler but you have to hope he stays healthy.  I like Johnson because of his size and he covers pretty well.  He might not want as much as Smith or Jenkins which is another bonus.  Heyward I am still iffy on because he is a slot guy who might be a solid #2.  Johnson all the way is possible.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I do not like Amukamara because we would get another injury prone guy like Toler.  He is better than Toler but you have to hope he stays healthy.  I like Johnson because of his size and he covers pretty well.  He might not want as much as Smith or Jenkins which is another bonus.  Heyward I am still iffy on because he is a slot guy who might be a solid #2.  Johnson all the way is possible.

I'm starting to agree with you about Johnson. I really like Sean Smith. But he had down year this year. At first I didn't think much of it because he had injuries and stuff. But I think we need to go with the safest bet, and right now I'm inclined to think that's Trumaine Johnson. He's a guy who's gotten better and better and just had the best year of his career, and he's only 26 so his best football is probably ahead of him. But I just read something that said the Rams may put the transition tag on him. So in that case its Jenkins or Smith.

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Yea i saw that report about them tagging him to see what other teams offer.  If we offer him like 7mil a year for 4 years they might not match that though with Jenkins and McLeod having to be resigned.  I like him though and think he is a safe pick for sure.

I actually think they'll want to bring Johnson back over Jenkins. Like the other guy said above. They have EJ Gaines who was a beast his rookie year. He'll be back and ready to start this coming season.

5 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I am a newly converted Colts St Louis fan. Thank you for welcoming me.  I have to say by reading the posts in here I can tell this fan base is very knowledgeable and a whole lot less jaded. Very excited to root for a team who is focused on fans and winning. Will be a huge change. 

My my thoughts on Corners, forgive me if there is something I am not seeing with the team, if Vontae Davis is the man.  He will shut down whoever, when healthy.  You need a solid number 2, and not a number one guy. 

Right off the bat...these guys will get too much money: Norman, Smith and Amukamara (Amukamara will be overpaid by the Giants who love to overpay for everyone). Way more than you need to pay. I love Trumane Johnson because he is a solid cover guy who has ball skills.  You need more INTs esp from a guy who will see most of the passes, given Vontae returns to form. Between Jenkins and Johnson, Johnson is better at coverage and Jenkins is more of a ball hawk.  Jenkins will be paid more (most likely by the Rams). you will have a better return on Johnson.  I also like Johnson because he is 6'2". With the size of the WRs in the AFC south, especially at the #2 wide out spot, you need a taller guy.   

Second to Johnson, I like Hayward.  Won't command top topbucks and could grow into a number 1 guy, more upside than Johnson.  He is only 26. Wish he had more size, but is the same height range as all corners coming out in the draft.  

Third option, not as exciting.. Jeraud powers of Arizona.  Cost you a lot less and plays up to a number 2. Provided Vontae returning to form. Would allow you to pay more for pass rushers, and still have solid play at that spot.   

What are the other needs the Colts need to address?  

I see see it as the need o-line and d-line help in a big way.  A Solid linebacker. Youthful Depth at RB. Big wr to compliment.  As well as the #2 corner. 

4 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I actually think they'll want to bring Johnson back over Jenkins. Like the other guy said above. They have EJ Gaines who was a beast his rookie year. He'll be back and ready to start this coming season.

Knowing Fischer and the team.  I think he prefers Jenkins because he is more or a #1 guy with Gaines coming back to be #2. They don't need to save money because of the cleared space from Long, Cook, and Lauranitis.  IMO 

If Jenkins goes crazy on the money, then they will sign Johnson in a heartbeat.  

Side note, Lauranitis would look great in a Colts uniform. 

7 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Yea i saw that report about them tagging him to see what other teams offer.  If we offer him like 7mil a year for 4 years they might not match that though with Jenkins and McLeod having to be resigned.  I like him though and think he is a safe pick for sure.

I think we'd have to give him around 9mil a year, but I'd do it!

2 hours ago, Rams to Colts said:

I am a newly converted Colts St Louis fan. Thank you for welcoming me.  I have to say by reading the posts in here I can tell this fan base is very knowledgeable and a whole lot less jaded. Very excited to root for a team who is focused on fans and winning. Will be a huge change. 

My my thoughts on Corners, forgive me if there is something I am not seeing with the team, if Vontae Davis is the man.  He will shut down whoever, when healthy.  You need a solid number 2, and not a number one guy. 

Right off the bat...these guys will get too much money: Norman, Smith and Amukamara (Amukamara will be overpaid by the Giants who love to overpay for everyone). Way more than you need to pay. I love Trumane Johnson because he is a solid cover guy who has ball skills.  You need more INTs esp from a guy who will see most of the passes, given Vontae returns to form. Between Jenkins and Johnson, Johnson is better at coverage and Jenkins is more of a ball hawk.  Jenkins will be paid more (most likely by the Rams). you will have a better return on Johnson.  I also like Johnson because he is 6'2". With the size of the WRs in the AFC south, especially at the #2 wide out spot, you need a taller guy.   

Second to Johnson, I like Hayward.  Won't command top topbucks and could grow into a number 1 guy, more upside than Johnson.  He is only 26. Wish he had more size, but is the same height range as all corners coming out in the draft.  

Third option, not as exciting.. Jeraud powers of Arizona.  Cost you a lot less and plays up to a number 2. Provided Vontae returning to form. Would allow you to pay more for pass rushers, and still have solid play at that spot.   

What are the other needs the Colts need to address?  

I see see it as the need o-line and d-line help in a big way.  A Solid linebacker. Youthful Depth at RB. Big wr to compliment.  As well as the #2 corner. 

Other needs? In order the following are our most important needs and these main 4 I think we have to address this offseason in order to be a true SB contender....

Edge Rusher

Guard

Corner

Center

That's the 4 must get's. Then we also need either a big run stuffing NT or a DE like Malik Jackson, an ILB with coverage skills, and a ball hawking safety.

Trumaine Johnson is the 1 corner I wouldn't mind overpaying for. He is still young at only 26, so his best years are still ahead of him. And he was great statistically last year, and has good size at corner, which is becoming a trend.

So of course I want him on the Colts.

11 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Other needs? In order the following are our most important needs and these main 4 I think we have to address this offseason in order to be a true SB contender....

Edge Rusher

Guard

Corner

Center

That's the 4 must get's. Then we also need either a big run stuffing NT or a DE like Malik Jackson, an ILB with coverage skills, and a ball hawking safety.

I do not know if anyone saw the report but Denver has had talks with Malik Jackson and he is wanting around 75mil for 5 years.  That is 15mil per year and a big no thanks!

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:10 PM, Rams to Colts said:

Knowing Fischer and the team.  I think he prefers Jenkins because he is more or a #1 guy with Gaines coming back to be #2. They don't need to save money because of the cleared space from Long, Cook, and Lauranitis.  IMO 

If Jenkins goes crazy on the money, then they will sign Johnson in a heartbeat.  

Side note, Lauranitis would look great in a Colts uniform. 

Looks like they are leaning with tagging Johnson. I would love to have Jenkins if let go and it seems he will be.

16 hours ago, krunk said:

Looks like they are leaning with tagging Johnson. I would love to have Jenkins if let go and it seems he will be.

Have to say I am surprised. They must not be very confident in signing Jenkins.  However to guarantee Johnson $12-14 million per year is a serious overspend.  As a former fan, nothing should surprise me.  However, it now feels great to watch the lunacy from the outside. 

What will suck, is that all corners price tags just went up. 

10 hours ago, Rams to Colts said:

Have to say I am surprised. They must not be very confident in signing Jenkins.  However to guarantee Johnson $12-14 million per year is a serious overspend.  As a former fan, nothing should surprise me.  However, it now feels great to watch the lunacy from the outside. 

What will suck, is that all corners price tags just went up. 

Well I wanted Jenkins, but now I'm not so certain financially speaking:

Janoris Jenkins turned down a 5-year $45 million dollar deal from the Rams. Said that "he was low-balled". Dude what????#NFL

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2/28/11130072/los-angeles-rams-janoris-jenkins-turns-down-free-agent-contract

19 hours ago, krunk said:

Well I wanted Jenkins, but now I'm not so certain financially speaking:

Janoris Jenkins turned down a 5-year $45 million dollar deal from the Rams. Said that "he was low-balled". Dude what????#NFL

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/2/28/11130072/los-angeles-rams-janoris-jenkins-turns-down-free-agent-contract

Wow!  He also fired his agent.  No wonder the Rams have turned to Johnson. 

Appears Jenkins is really working from a sound position, firing his agent and all.  

Who's up next for us? Norman will no doubt be tagged by Carolina. 

Heyward and maybe Smith. I see the Chiefs have started up negotiations with Derrick Johnson who is 33 before they've done anything with Sean Smith. Tells me they are going to let him walk. Janoris may still be in play. The market will tell him what his value is and he will be more realistic.