Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike "i'm A Man, I'm 40" Gundy On The T Brando Show... Talking Luck.

John Dee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEidJdiEikI&feature=fvst

I must say I have to agree with coach G, Herm E and his the "NFL is changing to mobile qb's" may be the biggest slight on Luck... He is huge but runs "very well" ...

This is just a very strange time to be a Colt fan... Manning stays? Manning goes? Draft Luck? Trade the pick? Makes for a potential fun draft day...... But...

We all know who we will draft... the Q is... will he play right away or watch the Master for a few?

Colts off season drama .... yeeehaaaa

Mort reported on twitter today Irsay will not trade the pick but wants a full process on the top pick and if they think RG3 is better they will take him.

Nice mis directiion by Irsy... However, "LUCKY" for us ... Luck is the clear pick at QB.

Heck I like Russell Wilson better than RG3 and Wilson could probably be had in the 3rd round,

That would be my dream scenario... trade pick... snatcha tona D.

and Draft Wilson or mayby Moore or Keenan.. or just draft a couple QB's and see what happens. Manning, if healthy, is a GIVEN.

But I will admitt. I am excited at he thought of a new "STUD" QB in Indy.

DRAMA....

I would be SUPER disappointed with the organization if they pass on this kid and he ends up becoming one of the next great QB's. Very tough situation for the Colts to be in, what if we trade him to team X and team X owns us when we play them? If we would trade him to team X and they anihalate us with Peyton, I would be livid and probably never forgive the Colts (like they would care hah). On the other hand he could be a bust or mediocre and the Colts with Peyton could smash Lucks team.

If he is so good it doesn't make sense to have him sit for 3-5 years behind Manning. But at the same time if he is so good, then we can't afford to let him go can we?

Very tough decisions to be made.

The only other option I would even consider is if they could get RGiii +++.

Thanks for the post. OKL ST coach thinks he's going to be the best to ever come out. Wow. Who wants to pass on this guy again? LOL

What's he supposed to say about him? College coaches say ridiculous things like this about EVERY SINGLE PLAYER they coach against. Go read the comments of guys who coached against RGIII, Kirk Cousins, or Russell Wilson. You'll see a lot of the same. Plus, it's not as though this coach is some measure of draft talent expert.

I am not saying Luck isn't the best player in college football right now. He probably is. It's just laughable how serious and absolute some of you make these comments to be compared to the negative ones made by folks with equal or greater credentials.

What's he supposed to say about him? College coaches say ridiculous things like this about EVERY SINGLE PLAYER they coach against. Go read the comments of guys who coached against RGIII, Kirk Cousins, or Russell Wilson. You'll see a lot of the same. Plus, it's not as though this coach is some measure of draft talent expert.

I am not saying Luck isn't the best player in college football right now. He probably is. It's just laughable how serious and absolute some of you make these comments to be compared to the negative ones made by folks with equal or greater credentials.

You can find folks at Michigan State and Purdue that thought Jimmy Claussen was going to be all-pro because of how he played against them..

High school and College coaches judgement of a player is really skewed to how someone did against them..

Its hard for them to see that production probably says more about the team they coach

Nice mis directiion by Irsy... However, "LUCKY" for us ... Luck is the clear pick at QB.

Heck I like Russell Wilson better than RG3 and Wilson could probably be had in the 3rd round,

and Draft Wilson or mayby Moore or Keenan.. or just draft a couple QB's and see what happens. Manning, if healthy, is a GIVEN.

DRAMA....

What we NEED though is a new stud safety...a new stud tight end and a new stud defensive tackle

DRAMA....

oh I was just passing along what Mort said. I have been and remain in the draft Andrew Luck camp. With that said word is Luck picked his agent today and the guy is an LA guy, like trying to get a team there LA guy. So there is already rumors that he is going to try to get Luck out of Indianapolis and to a team that is going to try to go to LA. Now granted that's from pro-football talk and the stuff behind hiring an agent is speculation at best. If that turns out to be the case maybe the Colts give a more serious look at RGIII if he's willing to sit and Luck isn't. Again that's just pure speculation.

Mike Gundy has never coached against Andrew Luck.

And the thing is, there's not a lot of negative information coming out about Andrew Luck. A few people have questioned his arm strength, but I think the past ten to fifteen years have proven that questions about arm strength (and praise about arm strength) can be drastically misplaced.

EVERYONE thinks Luck is going to be a really good NFL quarterback. Might seem like I'm exaggerating, but I haven't heard anyone who has watched him play or scouted him for the NFL say that they don't think he'll be really good at the next level. Maybe I've missed something...

I think it's pretty clear that, if you want a quarterback, drafting Andrew Luck is a good decision to make. I don't think any of the arguments against drafting him have to do with his prospects. The arguments have been that it doesn't make sense to draft him and keep Peyton Manning. There's really no question about whether he should be drafted #1 overall, just whether the Colts should draft him or trade down. But he'll be the #1 pick, one way or the other.

Mike Gundy has never coached against Andrew Luck.

And the thing is, there's not a lot of negative information coming out about Andrew Luck. A few people have questioned his arm strength, but I think the past ten to fifteen years have proven that questions about arm strength (and praise about arm strength) can be drastically misplaced.

EVERYONE thinks Luck is going to be a really good NFL quarterback. Might seem like I'm exaggerating, but I haven't heard anyone who has watched him play or scouted him for the NFL say that they don't think he'll be really good at the next level. Maybe I've missed something...

I think it's pretty clear that, if you want a quarterback, drafting Andrew Luck is a good decision to make. I don't think any of the arguments against drafting him have to do with his prospects. The arguments have been that it doesn't make sense to draft him and keep Peyton Manning. There's really no question about whether he should be drafted #1 overall, just whether the Colts should draft him or trade down. But he'll be the #1 pick, one way or the other.

Didn't he just coach against him in the bowl game? I am not trying to be a jerk here I am honestly asking but I was pretty sure Gundy is the Head Coach at OK State and didn't they play Standford in their bowl game?

As for the rest I see a lot of nit picking with Andrew Luck which is what happens when you a see guy who is the undquestioned top draft pick go back to school. People start looking for his flaws. It's not unlike what happened to Peyton Manning his Senior year because you've been singing the praises of someone so long you start to question him some what and litle things get nit picked into major things. Also it's just human nature to want a choice, we just don't like being told this is the way it is which is how things with Luck sorta are. People just say he's going to be great so it's nature to question and in the process talk up other players and look for reasons why Luck "isn't so great". I am sure the Colts are going to do the full process on the top pick but when it's all said and done I think they are going to decide what a lot of people are saying already that Andrew Luck is the best player in this draft and maybe the best player to come along in sometime. Time will tell on that part though.

Didn't he just coach against him in the bowl game? I am not trying to be a jerk here I am honestly asking but I was pretty sure Gundy is the Head Coach at OK State and didn't they play Standford in their bowl game?

Sure did. I thought I was missing something and went back through the game logs to see what Luck did against them, and it didn't show up. Dummy.

As for the rest I see a lot of nit picking with Andrew Luck which is what happens when you a see guy who is the undquestioned top draft pick go back to school. People start looking for his flaws. It's not unlike what happened to Peyton Manning his Senior year because you've been singing the praises of someone so long you start to question him some what and litle things get nit picked into major things. Also it's just human nature to want a choice, we just don't like being told this is the way it is which is how things with Luck sorta are. People just say he's going to be great so it's nature to question and in the process talk up other players and look for reasons why Luck "isn't so great". I am sure the Colts are going to do the full process on the top pick but when it's all said and done I think they are going to decide what a lot of people are saying already that Andrew Luck is the best player in this draft and maybe the best player to come along in sometime. Time will tell on that part though.

Yeah, I mean you can nitpick anyone. People nitpick Drew Brees for being too short. And on and on. But when it comes down to it, the scouts and prognosticators all give Luck the thumbs up. Most of the debate at this point has been whether the Colts should take him or trade down. But as for whether he'll be good or not, that's pretty unanimous that he will be.

Superman... there have been plenty of players in the past who were going to be studs in the NFL that didn't turn out. Why is Luck different? Why can't Luck be a bust? I'm not saying he will or won't be, but it's unlike you to assume he's not going to be--which is why I'm asking.

Superman... there have been plenty of players in the past who were going to be studs in the NFL that didn't turn out. Why is Luck different? Why can't Luck be a bust? I'm not saying he will or won't be, but it's unlike you to assume he's not going to be--which is why I'm asking.

How many of those players in the past were touted as one of the best prospects of all time? Probably Elway and that's it. Nearly every GM in the league has praised Luck and I have not heard one single person EVER say Luck will not succeed at the NFL level or be a bust. And I'm speaking about GMs, notable media people, coaches etc.

How many of those players in the past were touted as one of the best prospects of all time? Probably Elway and that's it. Nearly every GM in the league has praised Luck and I have not heard one single person EVER say Luck will not succeed at the NFL level or be a bust. And I'm speaking about GMs, notable media people, coaches etc.

People were extremely high on Manning when he came out. Frankly people were high on him back in high school. I remember the first time I heard of Peyton Manning was when Wide World of Sports did a story on him in high school and picking what college he would go to because every member of his family had a different choice for him. In the end he picked Tennessee which is what his mom said :).

People were also just as high on Matt Ryan. I remember people comparing him to Manning. It wasn't like Luck though, they were saying at best Ryan would be like Manning but they weren't nearly as sure of that as they are about Luck. With that said Matt Ryan isn't bad.

It's not that he can't be a bust. He can be a bust just like anyone else. But this isn't a situation where you're taking a risk on a flawed player, or someone with a questionable past.

You take Cam Newton, and the questions surrounding him last year, and it's natural to wonder whether he can handle the NFL. As good as his prospects were coming in, there were still serious questions about whether he would be good. Still are questions as a matter of fact, but he showed that he can handle the NFL. Consensus #1, but there were plenty of questions about him.

With Luck, the consensus is as strong as I've ever seen that he has the tools to be a good NFL quarterback. You'll see nitpicking about his arm strength or his bench press or something like that, but no one who knows anything will say that there's any indication he won't be good. It's not like Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, or even Sam Bradford who had injuries and played in a gimmicky offense. The people who scout him and watch him play and coach against him (including people with NFL exposure) ALL have nothing but good things to say about him.

And on top of that, the money issue doesn't exist anymore. Any money issues the Colts have are with Manning's contract, not whatever the #1 pick will get.

I don't know anything, but I've seen him play a few times. I personally think he has the makings of an NFL quarterback. Whether he will be a GREAT NFL quarterback or not is up for debate for the next 15 years probably. But it's pretty obvious that, unless he goes mental (like Ryan Leaf) or gets tricked around (like Alex Smith), he'll be solid.

Like you say, I like to hedge my bets, don't like to be boxed in. But in the draft, nothing is 100%. Still, I'm pretty comfortable saying that Luck has the makings of a franchise quarterback. You can go 30 years and never have one.

The idea of someone suggesting that RGIII go before Andrew Luck reminds me so much of Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf. Manning started far more games, played in more important games. Just because Leaft had a big season, they acted like that had surpassed what Manning had accomplished because he had "more upside".

Also, this thing about the NFL moving to more of a mobile QB is a joke. I have been hearing that since Randall Cunningham came into the NFL in the mid 80s. There will always be some guys who are exciting and get it done with their legs, but it will always be the Peyton Manning/Kurt Warner/Tom Brady type guys who will win the rings. And that said, Andrew isn't exactly slow.

If the Colts pick someone else at #1 instead of Andrew Luck (or they trade the pick), I will be completely stunned.

The idea of someone suggesting that RGIII go before Andrew Luck reminds me so much of Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf. Manning started far more games, played in more important games. Just because Leaft had a big season, they acted like that had surpassed what Manning had accomplished because he had "more upside".

Also, this thing about the NFL moving to more of a mobile QB is a joke. I have been hearing that since Randall Cunningham came into the NFL in the mid 80s. There will always be some guys who are exciting and get it done with their legs, but it will always be the Peyton Manning/Kurt Warner/Tom Brady type guys who will win the rings. And that said, Andrew isn't exactly slow.

If the Colts pick someone else at #1 instead of Andrew Luck (or they trade the pick), I will be completely stunned.

The only two ways I can see us taking RGIII over Luck is if we honestly think RGIII is better and I don't see that one happening.

The other one I could see. If the Colts feel Luck is going to force a trade and RGIII is willing to sit and we are keeping Manning.