Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cap Space and a changing market

throwing BBZ

40 minutes ago, Superman said:

Some guys are about to be OVERPAID.

This is what I said last week when I posted that despite the Colts having a good amount of money,  there is SO MUCH cap space money for a large number of teams that we could easily find ourselves outbid for the players we rarely want.

I further said if we don't sign the players that some posters want and we end up with other players that the posters don't much care for -- don't be surprised if this happens,  because we could easily get outbid by a sizable number of teams.

And, of course,  my post was completely discounted by those who just don't want to face facts.     Those pesky facts can sometimes be annoying.      Hey, I'd love to be wrong,  and I hope I'm wrong,  but reading these numbers makes me feel like we could get skunked a numbers of times in mid-March.....

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is what I said last week when I posted that despite the Colts having a good amount of money,  there is SO MUCH cap space money for a large number of teams that we could easily find ourselves outbid for the players we rarely want.

I further said if we don't sign the players that some posters want and we end up with other players that the posters don't much care for -- don't be surprised if this happens,  because we could easily get outbid by a sizable number of teams.

And, of course,  my post was completely discounted by those who just don't want to face facts.     Those pesky facts can sometimes be annoying.      Hey, I'd love to be wrong,  and I hope I'm wrong,  but reading these numbers makes me feel like we could get skunked a numbers of times in mid-March.....

Yep, it happens every year. 

On 2/19/2016 at 0:06 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Yep you are exactly right!!! And then we're gonna hear all the ranting and complaining about how bad our management is because we didn't sign who they thought/wanted us to sign. 

On 2/19/2016 at 2:06 AM, NewColtsFan said:

That's nothing new though.   Happens every year.   How many here were upset we didn't sign Suh to that ridiculous contract 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

That's nothing new though.   Happens every year.   How many here were upset we didn't sign Suh to that ridiculous contract 

That's nothing new?

What's new is that in  2013, 2014,  2015 we had lots and lots of cap space....   among the league leaders.

We didn't sign Suh because of cap issues -- we didn't sign Suh because we don't want to pay those kind of prices....       we haven't even been rumored to pay those kind of prices.

This time around,  what's new is that we're NOT among the league leaders in available cap space.    In fact, as of today,   we're toward the lower half of teams with available cap space.      That may change when anticipated cuts happen -- but as of now -- we don't have much to spend,  and those who do -- have HUGE amounts of money,  the kind of money that the Colts never had even when we had good money.    I'm talking 50-75 Mill.    I don't think the Colts have ever had more than 40.

So we're in new unchartered water for us here this year....    and it will be interesting to see how we spend our FA money.     I fear we'll get outbid for lots of guys and people here will be very disappointed.      I hope I'm wrong.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's nothing new?

What's new is that in  2013, 2014,  2015 we had lots and lots of cap space....   among the league leaders.

We didn't sign Suh because of cap issues -- we didn't sign Suh because we don't want to pay those kind of prices....       we haven't even been rumored to pay those kind of prices.

This time around,  what's new is that we're NOT among the league leaders in available cap space.    In fact, as of today,   we're toward the lower half of teams with available cap space.      That may change when anticipated cuts happen -- but as of now -- we don't have much to spend,  and those who do -- have HUGE amounts of money,  the kind of money that the Colts never had even when we had good money.    I'm talking 50-75 Mill.    I don't think the Colts have ever had more than 40.

So we're in new unchartered water for us here this year....    and it will be interesting to see how we spend our FA money.     I fear we'll get outbid for lots of guys and people here will be very disappointed.      I hope I'm wrong.

You mean outbid like the dolphins outbid the rest of the league for Suh.  Im sure they would have liked to pay him less than they did.  He had lots of suitors.   

I've never been a fan of signing huge names in FA.  It rarely works out.

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You mean outbid like the dolphins outbid the rest of the league for Suh.  Im sure they would have liked to pay him less than they did.  He had lots of suitors.   

I've never been a fan of signing huge names in FA.  It rarely works out.

I'm not a big fan of signing the most expensive guys either.      We're in agreement on this one!      :thmup:

I don't mind Grigson's approach of building the middle class and the back-end of the roster.

My issue is with the signings....       guys like Cherilus,  Landry,  DHB,  and Herremanns are only a few of the misses....     as we all know,  there have been more....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not a big fan of signing the most expensive guys either.      We're in agreement on this one!      :thmup:

I don't mind Grigson's approach of building the middle class and the back-end of the roster.

My issue is with the signings....       guys like Cherilus,  Landry,  DHB,  and Herremanns are only a few of the misses....     as we all know,  there have been more....

It is about the right free agents if we do end up overpaying a bit. I do think our special teams and DL has been solidified. We need play makers on pass defense, and get more solid consistent play from the OL.

I doubt that teams will run on us as they have done a couple of years ago against the current DL. But even when we force enough 3rd downs, our pass rush is not able to get off the field and there in lies our current state of defense.

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is about the right free agents if we do end up overpaying a bit. I do think our special teams and DL has been solidified. We need play makers on pass defense, and get more solid consistent play from the OL.

I doubt that teams will run on us as they have done a couple of years ago against the current DL. But even when we force enough 3rd downs, our pass rush is not able to get off the field and there in lies our current state of defense.

Didn't teams run on us pretty successfully last year?

Sure seemed like it to me.......

One problem with raising the cap is as the article states...it causes teams to throw stupid money at players and therefore drives up the players salaries across the board. If teams would remain prudent and not offer ridiculous contracts, like Suh's last year, it may help alleviate that? Though some of the teams with the abundance of cap are not favorable destinations and the only way they can get quality players is to offer ludicrous contracts...a vicious cycle lol!

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kinda of. I just felt we made timely stops in the run game as the year went on. Facing a running QB like Tyrod Taylor did not help in the start but having Anderson on IR and the offense go cold more often tired out our D as the year went on as well, IMO.

I do feel this DL is more capable on the run game than it showed. However, on the pass disruption front, I am not sold on this DL. 

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It seemed like we played better against the run...I don't have any numbers but just from perception. I think much of our flaws this year come from the defense being on the field entirely too long and from a poor pass rush. I think improving the rush and getting better production and longer drives on offense will help this unit improve as much as anything....including the run numbers.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

It seemed like we played better against the run...I don't have any numbers but just from perception. I think much of our flaws this year come from the defense being on the field entirely too long and from a poor pass rush. I think improving the rush and getting better production and longer drives on offense will help this unit improve as much as anything....including the run numbers.

I'm with you.  It seemed to me like the 2015 team's MO was to force opponents into a ton of 3rd and long situations, but allow them to convert those 3rd downs anyway.  In fact, for the first time I can recall, I actually had occasions where I hoped for 3rd and short situations, hoping teams would run, and allow the Colts a chance at getting the ball back.