Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With Caldwell Back-Will Fan Loyality Prevail?

JColts72

Yeah, because that's a fair way to look at it.

I don't want Caldwell back. Not just the fact that we lost thirteen games in a row, but the manner in which we lost (by doing the same thing every week, and including four blowouts) convinces me that he's not a very good head coach. We could definitely do better, that's for sure. I'm holding out hope that nothing has been determined to this point, and that we part ways with him this week and get a better coach to run the show starting next season.

That said, I think a lot of people are overly harsh and quite unreasonable when it comes to their criticism of Jim Caldwell. The last thing that matters is sideline demeanor, in particular, a coach that's "too calm" on the sidelines. Todd Haley got fired in KC in large part due to his overly demonstrative demeanor. Maybe that's an extreme, but the point is that sideline demeanor doesn't determine whether a guy is a good coach or not. People are calling him "Radio," likening him to a mentally handicapped person. It's nuts. He's a well-spoken, well-spoken-of, well-liked man who's been defended publicly by his players and his bosses (who know him much better than anyone on this board).

I can't imagine fans leaving the team because they keep a well-liked, well-respected coach who, before this horrible season, was 26-10 overall. I don't want that coach to stay because I think we can do better. But I can understand the reasons management might keep him.

Let's ask the Wake Forest alumni what they think of him. I'm sure the the students who had to suffer 4 years of watching his teams lose game after game love him.

Let's ask the Wake Forest alumni what they think of him. I'm sure the the students who had to suffer 4 years of watching his teams lose game after game love him.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that team had losing seasons for virtually their entire lifetimes before enrolling, so it's unlikely their expectations were particularly high. In that context maybe they'll remember the year he took them to a winning record and an Aloha Bowl victory over Arizona State. Only the third bowl win in the schools history.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that team had losing seasons for virtually their entire lifetimes before enrolling, so it's unlikely their expectations were particularly high. In that context maybe they'll remember the year he took them to a winning record and an Aloha Bowl victory over Arizona State. Only the third bowl win in the schools history.

which goes to show he wasn't desired at schools known for football, all he could get was Wake Forest, the Indiana "East" of College Football.

4 years..2 good years...one year without the league's premier QB....4th year coming...

Its not logical to fire Caldwell when you look at the last 3 years...

We should move on to our personell problems

I think there is some logic to be found. If you look at the 3 years since he took over, the team has steadily declined. This season is difficult to evaluate because the evidence is significantly skewed by losing Manning for the season, but in my opinion that decline continued into this year. This team had problems that ran deeper than simply being without Manning. How much of those problems were due to poor coaching and how much of it was the cumulative effect of 3+ years of poor drafting? Again, difficult to answer. Judging by Irsay's response to the season, it looks like he thinks it was a problem with talent and personell and not so much coaching. Is he right? Time will tell. I think you could make an argument with some decent supporting evidence that Caldwell is not cutting the mustard, though. It is not an absurd statement.

Caldwell is back. The following vision just flashed before my eyes:

AFC Divisional Playoffs. Colts lead 16-14. 39 seconds left in the game, Jets have the ball at the Colts 33 yard line, running out the clock and getting ready to kick a 50 yard field goal. Jets kicker Nick Folk is 5/11 for FGs 40+ yards out. Jim Caldwell CALLS TIMEOUT. Jets thank Caldwell for an extra play and hit an 18 yard completion. Nick Folk hits a 32 yard field goal as time expires.

Do I have to root for the Colts to lose again in 2012 to get rid of this edit?

Edited by Coltssouth
Name calling of a member of the team

As much as I can't stand Caldwell coaching and his lack of emotion, what does this mean to the new fans, bandwagoners (fallen off already?) and long time followers?

Still loyal to the TEAM despite what the Owner and GM talked about this being a new era?

My old man bought seson tix year one at the dome... been there ever since.

Here is the list of the coaches I have watched "lead" my favorite team.

Kush

Hunter

Dowhower

Meyer

Venturi

Ted... I love that man... and my favorite Indy colt coach.

Infante

Mora

Dungy

Caldwell

In the "Indy" era... we have 3 coaches with a winning record.....

Dungy

Meyer ................

and yes Jim C.

Mora was .500 and the rest sucked.

We'll see.

I'm rather disappointed with retaining Caldwell. I'm rooting for Colt for 6th year now, and will remain Colts' fan independently form HC's person.

IMO Caldwell hasn't done a great job, as the team's performance is declining, both O and D become weaker than it was 4 years ago, and I think last season should have been better even w/o Manning.

If Irsay and Grigson decided retaining Caldwell they must have some point to do so, maybe they also considered available candidates too.

I hope Caldwell will do his best in rebuilding the team, and next season we will reach playoffs. We will see Caldwell's acts during offseason, and we can predict what to expect.

I strongly hope Manning returns to the team as player for next season, I wouldn't like to see such a disaster one more season. :(

GO COLTS!!!!!

It comes down to the basic question:

Should Caldwell be fired because Peyton Manning couldnt play abd the team suffered.

The answer is 'no'

The idea of someone being held accountable is twisted.

This isnt felony court. there does not have to be a fall guy when we know why.

16-3 good year

10-7 good year

2-14 bad year..

The guy probably deserves a 4th year....to be fair..he's technically a proven winner..

A proven winner? he is adverage..ad your numbers up!!!!!!! what if peyton does not return then he becomes a loser..then what well you have to say!!

My old man bought seson tix year one at the dome... been there ever since.

Here is the list of the coaches I have watched "lead" my favorite team.

Kush

Hunter

Dowhower

Meyer

Venturi

Ted... I love that man... and my favorite Indy colt coach.

Infante

Mora

Dungy

Caldwell

In the "Indy" era... we have 3 coaches with a winning record.....

Dungy

Meyer ................

and yes Jim C.

Mora was .500 and the rest sucked.

We'll see.

but how many of these coaches had the great peyton manning on their team? 4 get real

As much as I can't stand Caldwell coaching and his lack of emotion, what does this mean to the new fans, bandwagoners (fallen off already?) and long time followers?

Still loyal to the TEAM despite what the Owner and GM talked about this being a new era?

I've been a Colt's fan since they came to Indy. But, no. If Caldwell is back, bye.