Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zeke Elliott PERFECT in pass protection...

I've been the sole advocate here for the Colts drafting Elliott in the upcoming draft in the first round.   I know all our needs but this kid is likely one of the only chances we'll have this high of a pick in the Luck era and he NEEDS a guy who can rush and pass block and catch, all 3 of which are just as valuable as any first round Olineman pick could be in terms of pass protection.  He's the best all purpose back I have seen in a very long time.  

Here's a link: http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Ezekiel-Elliott-was-perfect-in-pass-protection-in-2015-42605991

As a Colts fan I'm going to say that it really depends on whose there at 18 if we take him. If guys like Lawson, Smith, etc... Are there I'd pass.

But I know it really depends on who the highest rated player on the board is. If he's the highest rated guy at 18, Grigs will probably take him.

I expect Grigs to take him or Conklin/Stanley with our first.  

With that being said I'd be dissatisfied if those were the picks...  this draft is deep with DT talent and LBers with top 10 talent but with side issues (injury/off field) that could result in them dropping that makes it soooooo anticlimactic to take a RB or T. Add to the fact that the top end of the corners is deep enough where there'd be a chance at them too...  

In summary... I wish we had taken Kendricks last year and a stout DT like Billings this year and we could be talking about a defense that can carry this team and Luck being the playmaker that compliments the defense.  

I'm not one of the people who thinks that running back is not first round material anymore.

But a good RB is easier to get in the 2-3 round than say an Olineman or Dlineman or edge rusher.

I'm not a fan of drafting a RB in the 1st this year due to us having so many needs to fill.

I'll reserve my right to change my opinion next year though. McCaffrey, Fournette, Chubb *drools*

You are not the sole advocate.  I am new to the board but I have commented on other posts that I think they will take Elliott with that pick.  I wouldn't be surprised if they traded up a few spots to get him.  This is the same GM and coach who traded a 1st for Trent.  They want a three down bell cow type of back and Elliott is that guy.  It all hinges on what positions they improve through FA.  I am sure he will be high on their board.  Last year they went BPA.  This year I think they go BPA in positions of need.  Drafting this high should net us a starter in rounds 1 and 2 and hopefully 3.  If Elliot is there at 18, and he might not be, I think they should and will take him.

I am not in favor of taking a RB in the 1st this year, but I'm warming to the notion that we could do it.  The ability to break off long runs is something we have missed for a while, and Zeke would bring that back.  Round 1 isn't shaping up too well for us, as I project our top needs after FA to be Rush OLB, C, and CB.  As it stands, I'd end up taking a slight reach at CB or taking a DL (which isn't a very big need IMO).  Elliott would give us more utility than what most pundits are giving us in the 1st round...

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can see it now, if we take a RB and not a Pass Rusher or O.Lineman in Round 1 most the Posters on the website will flip out. I wont be upset either way because Elliott could turn out to be like Robert Smith was, the ex OSU RB. He was Great when he played for the Vikings.

And that is worth our 1st round pick?

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they traded up a few spots to get him.  This is the same GM and coach who traded a 1st for Trent.

I personally think that would make Grigson less likely to pull the trigger at 18 on him...but who knows...

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You are not the sole advocate.  I am new to the board but I have commented on other posts that I think they will take Elliott with that pick.  I wouldn't be surprised if they traded up a few spots to get him.  This is the same GM and coach who traded a 1st for Trent.  They want a three down bell cow type of back and Elliott is that guy.  It all hinges on what positions they improve through FA.  I am sure he will be high on their board.  Last year they went BPA.  This year I think they go BPA in positions of need.  Drafting this high should net us a starter in rounds 1 and 2 and hopefully 3.  If Elliot is there at 18, and he might not be, I think they should and will take him.

Make that two guys with a horrible idea.  I kid.....

still till a horrible idea though.

6 hours ago, Traines said:

And that is worth our 1st round pick?

I personally think that would make Grigson less likely to pull the trigger at 18 on him...but who knows...

No. I would take the best Pass Rusher available with my first pick. Robert Smith was Great with the Vikings though. What I was pointing out is, you never know when you can land an impact player when you at least expect it and it's not even one of your main needs. I still think Dorsett will pan out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now