Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Thoughts/Mock Heading into the Combine

I’ve run the #s and figure the following moves to put us at almost $152,500,000 against the salary cap (estimated to be $155 million).  I’ll spare you the details of that, though.

Long-term Contract: Andrew Luck

Cuts: Trent Cole, Andre Johnson, Arthur Jones, D’Qwell Jackson, Bjorn Werner

Resign: Jerrell Freeman, Coby Fleener, Dwight Lowry, Jack Doyle, Colt Anderson, Dwayne Allen

UFAs: OG Kelechi Osemele (Ravens), CB Trumaine Johnson (Rams), RB Bilal Powell (Jets), WR Chris Owusu (Jets)

Draft:

1) Eli Apple, CB, Ohio St.  My preference, by far, would be Noah Spence.  However, his SB performance most likely landed him in the Top 10.  I don’t like Floyd for our Rush OLB role, so that need will have to be tabled.  Not needing an OT, I’d be looking closely at DL and CBs.  CB would be the higher priority, as there is already better depth on the DL than in the secondary.  I prefer Apple to MacKensie Alexander, but either would be great choices.  It’s Apple’s toughness and run support that tip the scales for me, but he definitely has to work on avoiding penalties.  If A’Shawn Robinson (a true NT) is available, he would be strongly in consideration for this choice too.

2) Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame.  Martin and Ryan Kelly are neck-and-neck for this choice, but either gives us a center-of-the-future (and probably the present).  I go this way because of Martin’s leadership qualities that have been raved about.  I considered a FA option, but it seemed a bad move given the strength of the 2nd round Centers in this draft.

3) Javon Hargrave, DL, South Carolina St.  Two things make me think the DL needs another good athlete.  First, Anderson will have a very slow start to the season coming off his injury.  Second, Parry wore down tremendously after mid-season last year and needs more platooning.  A versatile, strong, and athletic DT can kill both birds.  Hargrave had very good all-star games, after having come to scouts’ attention with a six sack game in 2014 against Bethune-Cookman.  He really rocked the EWS game in particular.  At 6’1.5”, 315 lbs., and with outstanding quickness, he would probably immediately split time with David Parry, and could play some DT too.  For the record, I really like McGill, and Kerr has some value.  But I’m not sure either is more than a back-up going forward, and I’d like to ensure good DL play.

4) Victor Ochi, OLB, Stony Brook.  Not a lot of great Rush OLB prospects in this draft, but Ochi’s similarity to Robert Mathis catches my attention.  Similarly sized, he was also a prolific pass-rusher with a non-stop motor at a low level of competition.  Anyone who watched the EWS game saw him make plays against the run and do quite well in his pass rush duties (where he absolutely dominated in the practices).  While too developmental to be considered a sure-fire successor to Robert Mathis, we’ve got to work with what the draft and FA give us.  He does have a really high theoretical ceiling, and he would immediately compete with Newsome to be our #2 pass-rusher.  This guy is my favorite sleeper in this draft, and if I’m right on him, he’ll be taken earlier than most realize.

5) Geronimo Allison, WR, Illinois.  A third EWS standout.  6’3, 196.  He runs good routes and has soft hands, but he is a little raw.  He is someone with good physical skills to develop behind our top three WRs.   After Dorsett last year, I wouldn’t have thought a draft pick at WR would be necessary this year.  However, after letting Johnson go, the depth chart is pretty barren after the #3 guy.  His size also adds an element otherwise missing to our WR corps.

7) Jamie Byrd, S, South Florida.  I would have thought I could address the position earlier, but it’s another not-so-strong year for it.  Byrd is a CB hybrid who is putting on weight to play FS.  We really need to add youth at the positon, as Geathers is the only young ‘un with proven ability.  Byrd has a bit of promise as a coverage safety who also plays sideline to sideline.  Should do well on ST.  Still, I worry I wasn't able to add another young safety who can start early in his NFL career.