Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor Decker or Jack Conklin?

Look, I'm not a drafthead or a big college football fan like many others but this is the time of year where I start reading about the top prospects coming out in the draft. O-line is a definite need for us and I've seen both of these guys going to the Colts in various mock drafts. Who do you guys prefer out of the two? From what I've read/heard about Decker is a monster who can throw people around in the running game but can struggle at times in pass pro. I've also heard he's a high character dude with leadership qualities. Conklin from what I've read about is a fundamentally sound player who lacks crazy athleticism. I watched his game tape vs Ohio State and he seemed to do a really solid job of sealing the edge and getting to the second level to spring big plays in the running game. Some experts say he has slow feet that won't match up to the edge rushers in the NFL, but if so could he be an even better guard? Who do you guys prefer out of the two and do you see the Colts potentially selecting one of these guys in the first round? And if so, how do you see us using them along the line?

It's still early in the process.....   but at this point,  I'd be fine with either.

Though recently I've seen a number of mock's with Conklin being taken in the range of 13-18....   so, not sure if he'll reach us.

Most everyone has Decker going somewhere around 18-25 or so....

But again,  it's early and I like both.....

I guess I might be in the minority here based on the posts above, but I personally prefer Decker over Conklin. I believe Conklin gets caught putting his weight forward too often, and doesn't use the full extension of his arms to hold defenders at a distance. He also tends to lunge more than you would like. Also based off mobility and the likelihood that we switch to a zone blocking scheme I believe that Decker is the better athlete to fit in a ZBS.

I like both players, and both could play in a zone or power blocking scheme. I just believe IMO that Decker is more polished than Conklin at the moment.

I have watched several snaps of Conklin where he gets caught doing this often which bothers me. Deforest Buckner absolutely destroys him on this snap.

Just a side note. If any of you are interested in learning more about O-Line play, and have twitter I highly recommend following Duke Manyweather.

4 hours ago, SDakColts said:

I guess I might be in the minority here based on the posts above, but I personally prefer Decker over Conklin. I believe Conklin gets caught putting his weight forward too often, and doesn't use the full extension of his arms to hold defenders at a distance. He also tends to lunge more than you would like. Also based off mobility and the likelihood that we switch to a zone blocking scheme I believe that Decker is the better athlete to fit in a ZBS.

I like both players, and both could play in a zone or power blocking scheme. I just believe IMO that Decker is more polished than Conklin at the moment.

I have watched several snaps of Conklin where he gets caught doing this often which bothers me. Deforest Buckner absolutely destroys him on this snap.

Just a side note. If any of you are interested in learning more about O-Line play, and have twitter I highly recommend following Duke Manyweather.

His feet looked like they were stuck in mud on that play.

Conklin was the better player in college. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a lock he'll be the better player at the next level, but all I do believe he was a better college LT. 

I was all about the Colts taking Conklin earlier, because I do believe he's a plug and play starter on the right side of an NFL offensive line. But since it seems like we could be moving towards more of a zone scheme, it makes me wonder if having a somewhat more athletic RT in the mold of Decker would be a better fit for what we're trying to become. Because as much as I think Conklin is a good player, Decker looks like a 1st round talent to me as well. 

3 hours ago, Surge89 said:

Ew neither please.  I do think Grigson is eyeing them 2 or Elliot but me personally would prefer none of the above.  We don't need a LT. And the value of spending such a high pick on a G or RT is ill advised.

Tackles can move....... it's easier for a LT to go RT too...

8 hours ago, ar1888 said:

Watching Conklin vs better opponents like Alabama,Oregon and Michigan, he is beat regularly in pass rush. I believe Decker is the better lineman against a pass rush. But Conklin excells in run blocking. 

Are you sure you're actually watching Conklin on those plays? I did, he completely shut down the pass rush vs Oregon, and was the only O-linemen on his team in the Alabama game to do a good job in pass pro as well. 

12 hours ago, twfish said:

Tackles can move....... it's easier for a LT to go RT too...

That isn't the point.  You already have an established LT that you've paid.  You don't draft someone to replace that nor do you draft a RT in the first.  It's a poor use of resources.

I like Conklin better. But neither should be our 1st round pick. If we go OL in the first I swear I would take Cody Whitehair. I think Whitehair will be an all pro type guard and he's a very safe pick IMO. A lot of people may disagree, but I think we need to bring in a Center and a Guard and let Reitz and good battle it out for the starting RT spot. Or I wouldn't mind drafting a Rackle in the 4th to compete with those 2. The more competition for a spot, the better chance in one of those guys really shinning right? But IMO we should fix the OL in free agency and go all D with our first 3 picks.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I like Conklin better. But neither should be our 1st round pick. If we go OL in the first I swear I would take Cody Whitehair. I think Whitehair will be an all pro type guard and he's a very safe pick IMO. A lot of people may disagree, but I think we need to bring in a Center and a Guard and let Reitz and good battle it out for the starting RT spot. Or I wouldn't mind drafting a Rackle in the 4th to compete with those 2. The more competition for a spot, the better chance in one of those guys really shinning right? But IMO we should fix the OL in free agency and go all D with our first 3 picks.

I like Whitehair also, but we very easily could get him or another very good guard in round 3, possibly even round 4 depending how the draft plays out. It seems this year offensive and defensive lineman are the two stacked category's, so I could definitely see some quality guards like Tretola, Garnett, and Turner falling there. Also you have tackles that are very well suited to be guards in the NFL, Beavers, Ifedi, etc., that will possibly go in those rounds.