Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Peyton return to Indy as GM?


Recommended Posts

I'm talking 2-4 years down the road, but if Grigson doesn't improve from his faults in the past (bad free agency and 1st round picks), could you see Irsay wanting to bring Peyton in under the John Elway role?

 

I think he would make for a great front office person for the Colts, as he is extremely intelligent, and I could see him as very hands on when it comes to player evaluation and determining who to bring in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If he returns to anything football related I think it will be as a QB coach somewhere or perhaps like most position coaches they have to work there way up the ladder. Or he will just coach at a lower level. Highly doubt he starts off in the Colts organization though, Usually not how it works out but you never know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

It's possible. I'd love to have him back working here. Not sure as GM. Maybe QB Coach? He'd be better than Schotty, the man that brought you Mark Sanchez.

The QB who beat Peyton and Brady on the road in the playoffs in consecutive weeks....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be curious to see how he does as a GM.  On the field, there's no question about what he can do.  But how much of that translate to the front office?  He might be able to see things as a scout/talent evaluator, but what about other GM duties, like structuring contracts and managing the cap?  I'd be a little hesitant to give him full GM duties without knowing how he approaches those things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Bill Polian said recently due to Peyton's analytical skills he'd make a very good GM eventually. 

 

I just don't see Manning as wanting to be a GM or QB coach or coordinator at INDY or anywhere else for that matter. Being a front office executive or knowledgable draft expert takes a whole new set of skills & a lot of time & preparation. Plus, if you struggle with the duties early, it's not easy to stick with it & ride thru some trials & tribulations while you figure out what you are doing. 

 

I see 18 more as an investment group guy in a franchise down the line not a roll your sleeves up & master the salary cap kind of guy personally. He's ready to be a TV sports analyst & product pitch man. The hours aren't bad & the money is tremendous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was mentioned in another similar topic and I think many concluded he won't be an NFL head coach, GM, etc. because in comparison to his player salary, he would be making peanuts and would have to work harder than he has ever had to work before off the field. I know he said he loves the game, but this way he can focus on his commercials, his kids, charities, and spend more time promoting the sport through things like the Manning Passing Academy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

GM? That just doesn't make any sense to me. His football intelligence is soo high, however, that he could easily turn into a top QB coach or even more probably, an elite OC. That is what you want Peyton for, I promise you. :scoregood:

Intelligence on the field does not automatically make you a good coach, coordinator or GM. My own opinion is why would he take a position that takes up even more time that he spent being a QB? I just think he has too much other things going on in his life and his kids are getting older. He has made the statement his family comes before football and I believe him. If he does get back into football it would be in broadcasting IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

It's possible. I'd love to have him back working here. Not sure as GM. Maybe QB Coach? He'd be better than Schotty, the man that brought you Mark Sanchez.

 

You do know that Schotty has coached QBs other than just Mark Sanchez, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I know Bill Polian said recently due to Peyton's analytical skills he'd make a very good GM eventually. 

 

 

He actually said he could be a GM right away,  with only a tutorial on trades, contracts, cap management, etc. Polian says he knew the strengths,  weaknesses of all players in the AFC and of all college players coming out of the SEC. I think he could handle any position management related for any organization. But then again,  I'm biased towards my favorite player of all time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BProland85 said:

 

Why them out of curiosity? I know he went to college in TN but that was only 4 years. He was in Indy for 14 years. 

Peyton has said in the past that Tennessee is basically his home. He goes to Tennessee a lot too from what I understand. As big as a rock star Peyton is in Indiana, he might be even more of a rock star in Tennessee. He has a lot of roots in Tennessee. I don't know if that's where he would go, but he's very big down there too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Polian said Manning's work extended far beyond the duties of a player even when he was in college. He scouted players and potential players and playbooks when no one else would even consider doing it. Unlikely it will be Indy as Tennessee is what everyone is saying and that will not be good for Colt fans in the coming decades.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BProland85 said:

 

Why them out of curiosity? I know he went to college in TN but that was only 4 years. He was in Indy for 14 years. 

if peyton becomes a GM, it'll be before Irsay fires grigs.  the 2 most likely places in that scenario are the Texans and Titans, due to the fact both teams could use a mastermind at GM and both have connections to manning in some fashion

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I'm talking 2-4 years down the road, but if Grigson doesn't improve from his faults in the past (bad free agency and 1st round picks), could you see Irsay wanting to bring Peyton in under the John Elway role?

 

I think he would make for a great front office person for the Colts, as he is extremely intelligent, and I could see him as very hands on when it comes to player evaluation and determining who to bring in.

 

haha  Replace the guy who cut him :thmup:  Would'nt that be tempting anythings possible ..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, peytonmanning18 said:

I highly doubt that Peyton Manning would ever work for Jim Irsay again.  

That is what I think too. Shaft me once, your fault, shaft me twice, that would be my fault. I don't think he would ever work for the Colts in any capacity as long as Jim Irsay is the owner. I know damned will that I wouldn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, peytonmanning18 said:

I highly doubt that Peyton Manning would ever work for Jim Irsay again.  

That's my feelings too. Peyton is extremely competitive and I'm pretty sure he uses his unceremonious dismissal from Indy as motivation. On a lesser note, we beat him 3 out of 4 times.  I'm pretty sure that burns in his crawl too. 

I'm certain he still loves his Indy fans, but that's separate from working with Irsay. In fact,  I'm surprised(kind of creeped out actually) that Irsay had the Kahunnas to ask Peyton to retire a Colt. It's like asking a heart-broken, jilted ex- for one more romp in the hay. 

Nonetheless ,  we're only 1 of at least 3 places with which he has ties.  There's a small chance it could happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, King Colt said:

Bill Polian said Manning's work extended far beyond the duties of a player even when he was in college. He scouted players and potential players and playbooks when no one else would even consider doing it. Unlikely it will be Indy as Tennessee is what everyone is saying and that will not be good for Colt fans in the coming decades.

Decades??  I don't think there will be a parting of the sea or any walking on water happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, csmopar said:

if peyton becomes a GM, it'll be before Irsay fires grigs.  the 2 most likely places in that scenario are the Texans and Titans, due to the fact both teams could use a mastermind at GM and both have connections to manning in some fashion

A master mind?? That is yet to be determined as a GM. IMO we wont know because I highly doubt he would take a job working long hours for a job that don't come close to what money he can make doing a lot less. He has already said his family is more important than football. The closest thing to football Peyton will get is in broadcasting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Peyton will return as a GM, I believe it will be after a year off, though who knows with his work habit. Cleveland is one place, since he has a good relationship with Haslam, and they need quality, but I don't know how he would feel with 3 other quasi GM's who are all analytical guys.

 

I think Peyton is going to come back as a GM for Tenn., and in the package, there will be some type of

ownership deal in the contract. He loves Tenn., wife owns part of the Grizzlies, plus the Titans are perfect for him. They are owned by a group of owners, and the NFL has been looking for an owner who could get them going in the right direction. Starting as a GM, and then into ownership after several years would be a good path for him, possibly with Polian along the way at first to guide him.

As for how he will do, with his work ethic, I would think great, but Jordan has a great work ethic, and he cannot judge talent at all. We will see, but commenting for myself, I would prefer he goes to Cleveland.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is a this thread allowed to be in the Colts forum?  It's about the Denver Broncos quarterback taking a position with the Colts that is already filled by a man that just signed a brand new contract.  I'm offended that I have to see this kind of post in the Colts forum and not the NFL General one.  In fact I'm appalled.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

Why is a this thread allowed to be in the Colts forum?  It's about the Denver Broncos quarterback taking a position with the Colts that is already filled by a man that just signed a brand new contract.  I'm offended that I have to see this kind of post in the Colts forum and not the NFL General one.  In fact I'm appalled.  

Offended and appalled? Don't take much for your panties to get in a bunch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

Why is a this thread allowed to be in the Colts forum?  It's about the Denver Broncos quarterback taking a position with the Colts that is already filled by a man that just signed a brand new contract.  I'm offended that I have to see this kind of post in the Colts forum and not the NFL General one.  In fact I'm appalled.  

We're talking about one of the most popular former Colts of all time coming back to the franchise. Why wouldn't be in the Colts forum???

Link to post
Share on other sites
On February 12, 2016 at 9:09 AM, SteelDragon said:

He actually said he could be a GM right away,  with only a tutorial on trades, contracts, cap management, etc. Polian says he knew the strengths,  weaknesses of all players in the AFC and of all college players coming out of the SEC. I think he could handle any position management related for any organization. But then again,  I'm biased towards my favorite player of all time!

I actually think Bill Polian was just being polite or nice on 18's behalf because no new GM with zero cap management experience knows what the hades they are really doing even 1 as sharp as Peyton. There is always a year to  3 transition period. 

 

Just because Manning has a high football IQ, it doesn't mean they automatically know which athletes to draft on day 1. I'm just not sure that Peyton wants to learn a whole new facet of the front office game for about 3 years 1st before the executive office training wheels come off. I'm not doubting Peyton's ability to learn a new skill just whether or not a near 40 yr. old HOF QB wants to put that kind of long, late night time in SD at this stage in his life. I'd have 2nd thoughts if I were in Manning's shoes personally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...