Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Need A 21St Century Tight End

oldunclemark

IF we cut where were are string.,,

Then I guess Clark goes.....(Tamme)

Brackett goes (Angerer)

and Addai goes (Brown, Carter)...

I'd hate to see that but it keeps being said that we have to cut payroll and I would like to resign Reggie Wayne. He's not washed up.

The problem is with cutting most of those players is that since they have signed newer contracts we don't save much money by cuting them. I can't speak to Addai's contract (but it is the newest of the group). Someone pointed out cutting Brackett would result in us eatting almost the whole thing in another thread when cutting him came up. With cutting Clark we only save like $1 million. That plus the free agent status of just about every other major pass catcher on the team except for Collie I am not sure it's a smart move to make. Someone has to be here to catch the ball next year for whoever the QB is.

The problem is with cutting most of those players is that since they have signed newer contracts we don't save much money by cuting them. I can't speak to Addai's contract (but it is the newest of the group). Someone pointed out cutting Brackett would result in us eatting almost the whole thing in another thread when cutting him came up. With cutting Clark we only save like $1 million. That plus the free agent status of just about every other major pass catcher on the team except for Collie I am not sure it's a smart move to make. Someone has to be here to catch the ball next year for whoever the QB is.

Agreed

Anyone we cut we must replace in the draft....

I just think that cutting 3 or 4 million (3 or 4 players)

might allow the resigning of Wayne and Mathis instead of Wayne OR Mathis

Its hard to accept (it is for me, anyway) but smart or not..we have to cut some veteran players.

We cannot pay our vets and sign all our own free agents..

the way it is explained to me.

Agreed

Anyone we cut we must replace in the draft....

I just think that cutting 3 or 4 million (3 or 4 players)

might allow the resigning of Wayne and Mathis instead of Wayne OR Mathis

Its hard to accept (it is for me, anyway) but smart or not..we have to cut some veteran players.

We cannot pay our vets and sign all our own free agents..

the way it is explained to me.

ColtsAuthority has a couple great articles describing our cap situation. Bottom line is we'll need a lot of contract restructuring in order to field a competitive team.

Back to the original topic - if Clark is healthy, he's most likely our starting TE next season with Tamme as a decent backup. We have a lot of holes to fill with the draft. I'm hoping most of our picks (after #1) are for defense.

I think if we can find a way to utilize Tamme and Clark and have them both on the field at the same time, we will be fine. Clark, Tamme, Garcon (has improved), Collie, Wayne (maybe). Try to find matchups for all of those guys.

I guess the trick is to try to find the 'Benjamins' :2c: for all those guys...