Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting Article on Peyton

18Manning

47 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

I don't recall ever seeing a chart quite like this...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/2015-really-was-the-bizarro-peyton-manning-season/

always said this from above article

analyzed Peytion in his prime Colt years Vs now

Perhaps this is karma, a just reward after a career of — with a few exceptions — being shackled to some of the worst defenses ever to run deep into the playoffs

& his and the running game was less efficient than what Tom Brady, Drew Brees or John Elway was working with.

Manning was very good — if not completely and totally great — in every facet of passing the football.

( NOW after his decline but with a proper D )

it’s hard not to appreciate the strange symmetry after Manning spent a career elevating middling and worse teams with his brilliance.

There is such a thing as "good karma"

We all know Peyton wasn't the reason for the SB win this year, and that's okay.  

We also know he wasn't the sole reason for all the one and done's and choke talk.

And some will cringe at the use of the word "deserving",  in regards to this SB win, so I won't use that.  

I will just say, it couldn't have ended any sweeter for me than seeing him as part of a championship team. :lombardi: 

2 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

There is such a thing as "good karma"

We all know Peyton wasn't the reason for the SB win this year, and that's okay.  

We also know he wasn't the sole reason for all the one and done's and choke talk.

And some will cringe at the use of the word "deserving",  in regards to this SB win, so I won't use that.  

I will just say, it couldn't have ended any sweeter for me than seeing him as part of a championship team. :lombardi: 

It is nice that Five Thirty Eight and other websites are actually looking into his past playoffs and realizing his teams straight up sucked (like the article I posted yesterday) in addition to the single plays that if not blown by his teammates would not be playoff losses (hey Mike Vanderjagt, hey Champ Bailey). Call it graduation goggles by his upcoming retirement but glad more people actually are looking granularly now like we've been saying.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

It is nice that Five Thirty Eight and other websites are actually looking into his past playoffs and realizing his teams straight up sucked (like the article I posted yesterday) in addition to the single plays that if not blown by his teammates would not be playoff losses (hey Mike Vanderjagt, hey Champ Bailey). Call it graduation goggles by his upcoming retirement but glad more people actually are looking granularly now like we've been saying.

My post was in no way meant as a dig at anyone else.   I'm not about that.

It was just simply about Peyton.    The definition of karma is that what you give out will eventually come back to you.   I think Peyton has given a lot of good..... and  this was a good way to wrap it all up for him.

It's all Good. :)

The narrative about Peyton being a choker on the playoffs was one that was simple for the national sports media to put out there, and easy for non-Colts (and non-Broncos) fans to digest.  Of course we all knew that narrative was inaccurate, biased, and didn't take into account a multitude of factors.  Now that it appears that his career is over, there is only one narrative left to write and it will take into account all factors.  And that can only be beneficial to Peyton's legacy. 

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

As Colt fans we always knew that Peyton was the better QB and that rings are won by teams. This graph pretty much tells the story of what most of us have known all along.

9 hours ago, General_Hux said:

The narrative about Peyton being a choker on the playoffs was one that was simple for the national sports media to put out there, and easy for non-Colts (and non-Broncos) fans to digest.  Of course we all knew that narrative was inaccurate, biased, and didn't take into account a multitude of factors.  Now that it appears that his career is over, there is only one narrative left to write and it will take into account all factors.  And that can only be beneficial to Peyton's legacy. 

Bringing it home

In the years to come, how well Peyton did or didn't play (there's MUCH more to being the QB than just throwing for a lot of yards) will matter les than the fact that he was the QB in a 3-game playoff run to the crown.

This photo could be his legacy/

On 2/10/2016 at 9:07 AM, 18Manning said:

I don't recall ever seeing a chart quite like this...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/2015-really-was-the-bizarro-peyton-manning-season/

Thank you Mr Obvious .

We Colts fans already knew this 18 had a long career its funny that its only now that others have as well better late then never .

Given a middle of the road defense 18's career may have worked out better for him as a Colt .

2006 the worst regular season defense turned it on in the playoffs & ultimately a Superbowl Win offense draws crowds defense wins games .

We watched the games the highs & lows of being a Colts fan year after year , The Rivalry & early outs in the playoffs painful to watch , Watching the Patriots get the best of 18 all those years was hard to stomach seeing 18 get the better of the Patriots is a memory I enjoy regardless of the Uni , Denver just did what our Colts could not thats provide a defense that we could be proud of .

Congrats to 18 it is my hope our Colts don't repeat the mistakes of the past give 12 what the Broncos gave 18 .

Manning was a throw hog who wanted to win the games by passing.
He was the reason we didn`t run/control the ball more to help the D.
He got his Regular season MVP`s beating up on the bad and mediocre teams.
And HIS way was the one & done way.
Defense & the running game Drug him along for both his SB wins. Homer on.

20 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

When that is what your FO builds the team for and what your coaches want you to do because it puts butts in the seats and gets prime time games, that's what you do. If the FO had built a power house run and defensive team, Manning wouldn't have the eye popping numbers nor would he probably have the eye popping playoff losses. Bashing him for that makes no sense. I'll bash him for the bad picks he threw in game changing situations, but I blame the Colts as a whole, from Irsay and Polian down to the kicker for the playoff losses. It takes a whole team to win or lose in the playoffs. More often than not, the Colts didn't have a whole team.

21 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

18 like 12 had to carry his team when defense can't maintain a lead, the QB's best friend is the running game correct but when its not there & the defense isn't what choice is there .

The leagues worst regular season defense turned it on in the playoffs in 2006 but they would'nt have had a chance to do so had 18 & the offense carried them along for the ride .

Defense has always been an issue for my Colts especially the Run D it was not reliable much a Colts fan should no this .

The Denver Defense drug him along for his second appearance in a SB with that team I did'nt watch the whole game but from what I recall the passing & running game did'nt look so good it was all about the defense .

Troll on .

22 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Manning used what he had. Polian put top notch receivers and TEs who caught the ball. When Manning had a good RB he used him. I guess you forgot about James. Addia was a blocking and catching RB.Manning never had the luxury of having a balanced team when in Indy. The Colts did beat heir share of good teams and its not all like you say. The people who voted him the MVP voted on what they seen, not on what teams the Colts played. It's easy to hand pick what you want to see when your agenda is negative. If your football IQ is low enough for you to think Manning was not good enough to win those MVPs, then I question your football IQ.