Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Ultimate Homer

18Manning

My dad is the absolute worst of a homer. He lives in Atlanta, GA. He starts the season rooting for the Falcons. If/when the Falcons fall off, he starts rooting for a team that has some ties to Georgia. Everything and everyone from/tied to Georgia is the best. Country music, football, baseball, whatever it is, if it involves someone from Georgia...THEY ARE THE BEST, no questions about it.

Because Newton is from Atlanta, GA, Carolina became his new team after the Falcons fell off. I emailed my dad to ask what happened to Superman (I know, it was sort of a jab). He responded saying he didn't want to talk about it because the refs "were paid off". The pass that "everyone" thought was a completion (everyone meaning one commenter during the game) was held up as an incompletion. The game was rigged for Denver to win. Unbelievable what he believes to be true.

Nothing particularly wrong with his homerism...it's not a terribly unique thing.  But the stuff about the refs being paid off and the whole thing being rigged is definitely in the "clouded judgement" realm.  Being a homer is one thing, but losing all objectivity is quite another!

9 minutes ago, General_Hux said:

Nothing particularly wrong with his homerism...it's not a terribly unique thing.  But the stuff about the refs being paid off and the whole thing being rigged is definitely in the "clouded judgement" realm.  Being a homer is one thing, but losing all objectivity is quite another!

I agree. If your team falls off, it's at least some way to identify with another team. However, his homerism does cloud his judgement. Typically, he does not like someone showboating, and Cam Newton is probably the biggest showboat in the NFL. I don't mean to digress, just pointing out he's okay with the showboating ONLY because Newton is tied to Georgia.  

I was with your old man until he got to "paid off." That's crazy, especially in what wasn't anywhere near the worst officiated game of the season, let alone recent years. Like Hux said, it's pretty normal actually, especially down here where there's a team every 7 feet if you count college.

42 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I was with your old man until he got to "paid off." That's crazy, especially in what wasn't anywhere near the worst officiated game of the season, let alone recent years. 

Exactly.   Like if it was bad or controversial calls that allowed the win,  I might consider it.  But it really want that bad.   Most of the penalties weren't judgement calls.  They were alai called/non-called for both sides.   

I know there is belief that the nfl gives championships to they're great player when they retire (Jerome Bettis and Ray Lewis recently).  Both of those had controversial runs, especially the Ravens.  But this game didn't come off as bad as those two. 

9 hours ago, 18Manning said:

My dad is the absolute worst of a homer. He lives in Atlanta, GA. He starts the season rooting for the Falcons. If/when the Falcons fall off, he starts rooting for a team that has some ties to Georgia. Everything and everyone from/tied to Georgia is the best. Country music, football, baseball, whatever it is, if it involves someone from Georgia...THEY ARE THE BEST, no questions about it.

Because Newton is from Atlanta, GA, Carolina became his new team after the Falcons fell off. I emailed my dad to ask what happened to Superman (I know, it was sort of a jab). He responded saying he didn't want to talk about it because the refs "were paid off". The pass that "everyone" thought was a completion (everyone meaning one commenter during the game) was held up as an incompletion. The game was rigged for Denver to win. Unbelievable what he believes to be true.

I have heard this theory more than once today....on talk radio.

I saw the ball touch the ground and then move on the nullified catch.....but I'm biased..

..you could also concoct a theory that the NFL wanted Cam Newton win so he could be lifted

as the 'new face' of the NFL........

..at least, you could before the post game news conference yesteday

Just for giggles & your own personal amusement 18M, ask your father if NFL referee Ed Hochuli instructed other fellow zebras from the NFL officiating fraternity to remind QB Cam Newton that he wasn't around long enough yet to get the penalty flag benefit of the doubt yet. 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/did-ed-hochuli-tell-cam-newton-he-was-too-young-to-get-roughing-the-passer-nfl-ref-carolina-panthers-ageism

Cam & his cats lost fair & square. No disrespect to your father naturally. I just like to see how far some fans wanna carry their conspiracy theories I guess. 

23 hours ago, bababooey said:

It was Mike Carey who called it a catch so.....

Funny you say that.  As soon as Carey said it was a catch, I immediately told everyone in the room that because Mike Carey said it was a catch, they'll rule it incomplete, which I'm sure most people across America thought the same thing.  Lo and behold...

20 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Just for giggles & your own personal amusement 18M, ask your father if NFL referee Ed Hochuli instructed other fellow zebras from the NFL officiating fraternity to remind QB Cam Newton that he wasn't around long enough yet to get the penalty flag benefit of the doubt yet. 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/did-ed-hochuli-tell-cam-newton-he-was-too-young-to-get-roughing-the-passer-nfl-ref-carolina-panthers-ageism

Cam & his cats lost fair & square. No disrespect to your father naturally. I just like to see how far some fans wanna carry their conspiracy theories I guess. 

None taken at all. If you could spend a weekend with my father, you would realize he carries his conspiracy theories well beyond reason. I have to bite my tongue all the time as I want to argue his thoughts are well beyond logic and reason.

4 hours ago, 18Manning said:

None taken at all. If you could spend a weekend with my father, you would realize he carries his conspiracy theories well beyond reason. I have to bite my tongue all the time as I want to argue his thoughts are well beyond logic and reason.

I read ya 18M. I have an uncle on my mother's side that has some pretty entertaining political theories. They're so far fetched they're hysterical. Not sports related I know, but I always get a kick out of how passionately he believes them. Uh huh. No matter how much I might gently try to persuade him to change his mind. He never alters his position in the slightest. It is what it is. 

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I read ya 18M. I have an uncle on my mother's side that has some pretty entertaining political theories. They're so far fetched they're hysterical. Not sports related I know, but I always get a kick out of how passionately he believes them. Uh huh. No matter how much I might gently try to persuade him to change his mind. He never alters his position in the slightest. It is what it is. 

I've known a few of those folks over the years, and usually they're pretty eager to buy into a conspiracy theory in just about any realm...sports, politics, economics, ect.  I gave up trying to engage them on that stuff...now I just sit back and listen, in one ear and out the other!