Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton walks out of post SB interview

chad72

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed, but I do think some of that comes from how much money they make. For most of us, they're making over 10,000 times what we earn. A lot of people's jobs are held to high standards, ridicule and unfair bias. The key difference, and it's a HUGE one, is that normally they aren't plastered all over the news. 

These things happen on a micro and macro level unfortunately.

I don't think that because they make a ton of money that they should be expected to never mess up.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think after game pressers are stupid. It is generally the same answers with every coach and player.  At least he showed some emotion, which is probably his down fall. He shows too much emotion when things are going good and when things are going bad.

Just now, jet1968 said:

I think after game pressers are stupid. It is generally the same answers with every coach and player.  At least he showed some emotion, which is probably his down fall. He shows too much emotion when things are going good and when things are going bad.

And then that makes me wonder what the right amount of emotion is, and who gets to make that determination. I know what people want to see out of a franchise QB, but I don't understand why everyone has to be judged by that standard. 

20 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I keep reading articles that he heard Chris Harris talking about them, and Denver wanting to force Carolina to throw the ball in an adjacent interview.  Cam could clearly hear Chris talking which is maybe what set him off.

"Load the box, force y’all to throw the ball. Can you throw the football? That was the game plan," Harris said.

After watching the video on the link, and seeing his reaction I 100% believe that he walked out due to overhearing Chris Harris. IMO post game interview rooms should not be set up where you can hear the player in the opposite room better then you can heard the player you are interviewing.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

And then that makes me wonder what the right amount of emotion is, and who gets to make that determination. I know what people want to see out of a franchise QB, but I don't understand why everyone has to be judged by that standard. 

I wonder the same thing about judgements of coaches not being emotional enough

Its stupid that opposing players are doing interviews so close to each other, but take it like man, dude. Chris Harris was excited and talking about their game plan. Big whoop. Cam likes to celebrate and showboat when theyre winning, but he acts like a child in defeat. Take it like a man. 

I understand that some fans might wanna pile on Cam Newton due to some of his dabbing & touchdown celebrations & they wanna use his SB loss & post game press conference walk off as a mechanism to slam the guy. But, not me & here's why: 

Nobody really knows how they would react if they were in Cam's shoes as a young, franchise QB who just lost his 1st SB on natl. TV. He will learn from this experience how to cope with failure & be a professional. Cam's a good guy & 1 hades of a QB who will play in the SB again. Personally, I think the media is engaging in 'fake outrage' over this incident. 

No, it wasn't right leaving like that. But, it's really a question over what Cam does over his team's next playoff loss. Highly competitive people always have a problem with losing. I really see this as a blip on Cam's radar screen not a pouting trend overall. Losing with grace & humility isn't something you can learn from a book or another HOF mentor like Warren Moon. It has to be felt & endured personally by Cam first. He'll be fine IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

We're really comparing Cam Newton to the General of the Confederate Army when it comes to being a leader and showing class...Ok then. 

Leave it alone.  You said basically the same thing Gavin said and I should have quoted YOU as well.

Cam did what he did...he is young and he is immature. He should have lived up to what a leader should do.  Not "He has every right to do this."

Yes and we have a right to think he is not a leader.  There is class and there is no class.  I said my piece.

In addition, Lee was one of the best generals in the history of war.  Losing a war is awful knowing so may people died on both sides in the Civil war. To show class in defeat has been talked about for centuries.  The Super Bowl is a GAME!!

Sorry you did not like the analogy.

8 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

After watching the video on the link, and seeing his reaction I 100% believe that he walked out due to overhearing Chris Harris. IMO post game interview rooms should not be set up where you can hear the player in the opposite room better then you can heard the player you are interviewing.

It's not hard to believe that that was a factor, but I think that's just part of it. 

6 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Ok, you got to cape up for Andrew Luck. Congratulations. Now what exactly does that have to do with this press conference and how Cam behaved during it? 

Its pretty simple really. Luck is professional. Cam isn't. Luck would have dove for that fumble (most qbs would have not just Luck). Most qbs that lose don't act like that  after a loss.

You know what player offended me?

This

http://nesn.com/2016/02/aqib-talib-committed-facemask-on-purpose-first-personal-foul-was-b-s/

Not to derail the thread but, that face mask should have resulted in him being ejected from the game.  

And this

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/super-bowl-50-denver-broncos-aqib-talib-trolls-cam-newton-carolina-panthers-020816

Poor winner is way worse the poor loser

I want to make it absolutely clear that I am not piling on poor Cam.  He gloats in victory and and he runs to his mommy in defeat.  ! did not cry when I was 26 working 13 hours a day.  I would LOVE to be in a position to lose a Super Bowl.

So I am old school.  I guess their is a lack of discipline in the youth today/....OH darn....that is a new one.  

Cam has matured by leaps and bounds since he has been in the NFL. He is still maturing. He didnt until yesterday have the experience of being the loser in the Super Bowl. My guess is that next go around he will react a lot better. People only mature by their experiences not by watching someone else do their presser or by reading the "guidelines" on how to do it. I think he needs to keep his emotions more in check, when things are going good or bad but that is my opinion. 

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Cam should have been a more gracious loser and shown more maturity and sportsmanship.  His responses and behavior during the press conference were not that of a leader. He could have congratulated the Broncos and said he plans to work harder to make it back. I thought Ron Rivera and most of the other players were gracious. 

I can't argue with anything you said here NFLfan. You're not wrong. However, I have a slightly different perspective on Cam's press conference after the SB than most people do. Peytonator alluded to this in another post actually. When you get asked the same question over & over again. How do you feel right now & what could you have done differently?

It's not easy especially when Cam is feeling numb still trying to process what just happened like a near death out of body experience similar to being disoriented like what just transpired here? I ran into an Orange Crush buzzsaw & I can't even explain why the Panthers lost myself. 

The wound of losing is still fresh & raw & I can't even process what went wrong myself. I do think he should have praised the Broncos defense for overwhelming him though because it did practically swallowing him whole almost all game long. 

This is the same reason why I gave Peyton a pass in 2013 when he refused to discuss what role his poor play contributed to the Broncos losing to Seattle that fateful night because I knew Manning was in pain still trying to come to terms with losing on the biggest stage in sports. I was disappointed in Manning when he used the team excuse vs individual player accountability mantra some 2 weeks later. If you own a loss, it tends to fade away. I expect Cam will do this in about 2 weeks giving Denver it's proper dues. 

10 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I can't argue with anything you said here NFLfan. You're not wrong. However, I have a slightly different perspective on Cam's press conference after the SB than most people do. Peytonator alluded to this in another post actually. When you get asked the same question over & over again. How do you feel right now & what could you have done differently?

It's not easy especially when Cam is feeling numb still trying to process what just happened like a near death out of body experience similar to being disoriented like what just transpired here? I ran into an Orange Crush buzzsaw & I can't even explain why the Panthers lost myself. 

The wound of losing is still fresh & raw & I can't even process what went wrong myself. I do think he should have praised the Broncos defense for overwhelming him though because it did practically swallowing him whole almost all game long. 

I usually walk away from my obligation because I am better than sliced bread.  I let my teammates and coaches be gracious making me look ridiculous.  I walk out of the interview looking like "The Biggest Loser."

40 minutes ago, Nadine said:

This

http://nesn.com/2016/02/aqib-talib-committed-facemask-on-purpose-first-personal-foul-was-b-s/

Not to derail the thread but, that face mask should have resulted in him being ejected from the game.  

And this

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/super-bowl-50-denver-broncos-aqib-talib-trolls-cam-newton-carolina-panthers-020816

Talib is a mess.  A far cry from Cam IMO.  That facemask was damned near criminal!!!  They should kick them out for 1 Personal foul if there is intent.  Kind of like the college rule for 'targeting.'

21 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I usually walk away from my obligation because I am better than sliced bread.  I let my teammates and coaches be gracious making me look ridiculous.  I walk out of the interview looking like "The Biggest Loser."

If you wanna make the argument that Cam Newton's showboating during games that Carolina won contributed to some of the satisfaction that Bronco & Colts fans are feeling right now that's fair Brent. 

We all make mistakes Brent. I do, you do, my nephews...I don't expect Newton to operate flawlessly in the media. The Broncos gave Newton a dish of humble pie. The NFL game humbles everybody Cam is no exception. 

Mr. Newton just has a brass style that doesn't sit well with some fans that's all. The problem with being bold is if you don't back it up, the heat is headed your way. Look I'm pleased as punch that Manning won his 2nd ring. I love the guy. I just wanna make sure that some NFL fans [not you Brent] are NOT taking Cam's confident statements about his QB qualifications & athletic ability & engaging in false personal character assassination tactics. 

He's not "the biggest loser" at all. Just a guy who needs to hold his emotions in check, not let his ego write checks he might not be able to cash, & just gain wisdom thru experience which he will. Cam said some foolish things to be sure on his team's SB run, but he's not a bad guy or the anti-christ as some would prefer you to believe. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

If you wanna make the argument that Cam Newton's showboating during games that Carolina won contributed to some of the satisfaction that Bronco & Colts fans are feeling right now that's fair Brent. 

We all make mistakes Brent. I do, you do, my nephews...I don't expect Newton to operate flawlessly in the media. The Broncos gave Newton a dish of humble pie. The NFL game humbles everybody Cam is no exception. 

Mr. Newton just has a brass style that doesn't sit well with some fans that's all. The problem with be bold is if you don't back it up, the heat is headed your way. Look I'm pleased as punch that Manning won his 2nd ring. I love the guy. I just wanna make sure that some NFL fans [not you Brent] are taking Cam's confident statements about his QB qualifications & athletic ability & engaging in personal character assassination tactics. 

He's not "the biggest loser" at all. Just a guy who needs to hold his emotions in check, not let his ego write checks he might not be able to cash, & just gain wisdom thru experience which he will. Cam said some foolish things to be sure on his team's SB run, but he's not a bad guy or the anti-christ as some would prefer you to believe. 

Yes and you know me very well.  I know the difference between life events in this situation including some that you have dealt with as well as me.

Some say "He is only 26".....then they will say.  I don't want him...he just turned 30.  HA!

How long do you give someone to be mature?  Cam is a great quarterback, but QBs can lose their team just like coaches do.  Behaviors, actions, and not going after a fumble.

I think I have told you and Jay both how good he can be..........IF.....

43 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

@bababooey  we had 4 generations cheering for Peyton at my house yesterday.  So much fun sharing this with my mom, our kids and grandkids.

That is awesome, I can imagine how precious that is. I actually cannot watch with my family at my grandpas as we are unlucky there. We live an hour from our parents so just watched with long time friends. Listening to WFAN all day right now, it's a great day. 

41 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

@bababooey  we had 4 generations cheering for Peyton at my house yesterday.  So much fun sharing this with my mom, our kids and grandkids.

I was thinking of you last night when "the Sheriff" hoisted the Lombardi Trophy above his head the most last night Gramz/Mrs. Misunderstood.

Did you do any cartwheels? Just teasing my friend. :thmup:

I gotta give a shot out to Barry too since he posted so many informative articles on 18 over the years. Happy for you too my man! 

52 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I want to make it absolutely clear that I am not piling on poor Cam.  He gloats in victory and and he runs to his mommy in defeat.  ! did not cry when I was 26 working 13 hours a day.  I would LOVE to be in a position to lose a Super Bowl.

So I am old school.  I guess their is a lack of discipline in the youth today/....OH darn....that is a new one.  

"I'm not piling on Cam!"

Proceeds to pile on Cam. ^^^

I get where you're coming from. Cam has an abrasive style and personality. I just don't think this stuffy standard of what's appropriate in victory and defeat is relevant. Sometimes people have bad moments. Oh well. Let's not bury guys who make mistakes.

I also don't think your response to working 13 hours a day at 26 years old is relevant. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

"I'm not piling on Cam!"

I get where you're coming from. Cam has an abrasive style and personality. I just don't think this stuffy standard of what's appropriate in victory and defeat is relevant. Sometimes people have bad moments. Oh well. Let's not bury guys who make mistakes.

I also don't think your response to working 13 hours a day at 26 years old is relevant. 

Honestly  I have said NOTHING about this Super Bowl...other than this guy who thinks he 'deserves the accolades" when things go well...then acts like a baby out of his crib when he loses.

I am stating what he looked like in defeat....not piling on.  You can leave it alone as well.  

3 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Talib is a mess.  A far cry from Cam IMO.  That facemask was damned near criminal!!!  They should kick them out for 1 Personal foul if there is intent.  Kind of like the college rule for 'targeting.'

I agree that the facemask was quite rough. However, if they made a rule for personal foul with intent it would be another loose rule to cause controversy.

This is just my opinion so many probably won't agree, and that is fine. The defenders job is to get the ball carrier on the ground, and keep them from scoring. Is there accidental facemasks? Yes. Is there intentional facemasks? Yes. The league could only differentiate on only a handful IMO, and a rule for intentional facemasks would be just another rule to cause controversy.

As far as Talib's facemask. Yes it was intentional and it was dirty. However, a defenders job is to keep the opposing team out of the endzone. If the facemask is what prevented the WR from scoring then technically he did his job, and allowed his defense to attempt to keep Carolina out at the 1 yard line. DEN ultimately ended up giving up the TD in the end, but if Talib didn't make the tackle then CAR would of scored the play before. It is kind of like a defender interfering with a WR when he knows he is beat to prevent the touchdown. Sometimes you have to take the foul to prevent the score.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

So you get to say what you think, but nobody gets to disagree with you? That's interesting.

I think I'll express my opinion just as freely as you express yours, thanks.

Don't patronize me.  I said all along ...since I have even been on this site...it is a forum.  Anybody can say what they want.  I am fine with that.  You do not have to be cocky about things, and I can shut you down just as well as anybody.

People have disagreed, but more have agreed than disagreed with what I have to say.  Thanks...that's interesting.  Done here.  

I'll pile on Cam... because he deserves it. You can't want the spotlight when you are doing well and then lay in a fetal position sucking your thumb telling the cameras to go away when things go wrong. I mean the unprofessional display by Cam Newton during the press conference was pretty damn disgraceful, is this what he wants to teach his role models? The thousands of kids that look up to him? That it's OK to be a sore loser?

2 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Don't patronize me.  I said all along ...since I have even been on this site...it is a forum.  Anybody can say what they want.  I am fine with that.  You do not have to be cocky about things, and I can shut you down just as well as anybody.

People have disagreed, but more have agreed than disagreed with what I have to say.  Thanks...that's interesting.  Done here.  

I can make the decision to leave something alone on my own. Just like you can.

I really don't understand why having a discussion about something we disagree on has to lead to you trying to shut me or anyone else down. If you disagree, fine. If you want to discontinue the discussion, fine. That's your decision. Me 'leaving it alone' is not.

I think some people are happier seeing Cam lose than Peyton win...which is astonishing given how much people love Peyton. No one needs to be a "role model" after losing and it's unrealistic to expect someone to smile for the cameras after a humiliating loss. Of course Cam is happier when he wins, that's common sense. His reason for leaving the press conference has already been given too.

7 minutes ago, SDakColts said:

I agree that the facemask was quite rough. However, if they made a rule for personal foul with intent it would be another loose rule to cause controversy.

This is just my opinion so many probably won't agree, and that is fine. The defenders job is to get the ball carrier on the ground, and keep them from scoring. Is there accidental facemasks? Yes. Is there intentional facemasks? Yes. The league could only differentiate on only a handful IMO, and a rule for intentional facemasks would be just another rule to cause controversy.

As far as Talib's facemask. Yes it was intentional and it was dirty. However, a defenders job is to keep the opposing team out of the endzone. If the facemask is what prevented the WR from scoring then technically he did his job, and allowed his defense to attempt to keep Carolina out at the 1 yard line. DEN ultimately ended up giving up the TD in the end, but if Talib didn't make the tackle then CAR would of scored the play before. It is kind of like a defender interfering with a WR when he knows he is beat to prevent the touchdown. Sometimes you have to take the foul to prevent the score.

Yes you are right.  I just have seen too many of the same guys who are not getting punished. 

Then everyone DOES not agree on targeting either...see Bosa in the championship.  You make valid points. :)

38 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Yes and you know me very well.  I know the difference between life events in this situation including some that you have dealt with as well as me.

Some say "He is only 26".....then they will say.  I don't want him...he just turned 30.  HA!

How long do you give someone to be mature?  Cam is a great quarterback, but QBs can lose their team just like coaches do.  Behaviors, actions, and not going after a fumble.

I think I have told you and Jay both how good he can be..........IF.....

Playing in your 1st SB has a surreal novelty to it. I say that because a lot of QBs never even make it to 1 SB in their lifetime & while you're going thru it the experience is foreign territory to your psyche because you having nothing to compare it literally too while actively running plays on the field. 

It's funny you bring up Cam's failure to go after the fumble because I keep going back & forth over whether Cam knew he lost the ball in real time without fans seeing in slow motion on the replay, & then once he realized it, a scrum developed making a lunge on Newton's part irrelevant. 

I'm not pardoning Cam's lack of action here. No, it's more like he lost track of the ball, finally saw it on the ground, & then maybe figured 1 of my teammates will get it so why should I risk jumping on it & possibly hurting a teammate of mine. Plus, with Miller & Ware bearing down on him all night long, I suspect Newton was shell shocked & seeing Denver pass rushers everywhere at the point in the game. 

We're perfectly fine brother. I respect your ability to go against the grain & defy the masses when you feel it is necessary. Keep being your own man Brent. I like it. 

16 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I'll pile on Cam... because he deserves it. You can't want the spotlight when you are doing well and then lay in a fetal position sucking your thumb telling the cameras to go away when things go wrong. I mean the unprofessional display by Cam Newton during the press conference was pretty damn disgraceful, is this what he wants to teach his role models? The thousands of kids that look up to him? That it's OK to be a sore loser?

My sentiments exactly. Even when he was winning, drawing attention to himself. I for one, don't want that to be ok in kid's eyes.

Losing in the playoffs stinks (don't we know that). But this outward display is not professional and makes me appreciate players like Peyton or Aaron Rogers that as Dungy said; "lose with dignity." 

This outcome was a win-win because both QBs got what they needed:

Peyton got another ring

Cam got a dose of humility

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

"I'm not piling on Cam!"

Nobody's burying him. They're saying what he did was ridiculous. And it was. The promotion director at my office is the biggest Cam fan I know. Today she said, "that little boy needs to grow up. I'm glad he lost. Hopefully he got knocked down a notch. What a baby."  Bam!  

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

This

And this

Yes, Nadine.   My husband, myself, my kids, and my grandkids were all yelling at the TV after that facemask.

What were we yelling...???   Sit his * down.   Take him out of the game.     And we were rooting for Denver, but that facemask was brutal, and we were afraid he was going to continue on and ruin Denver's chances with all the penalties he was getting.