Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cam Newton walks out of post SB interview

chad72

6 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Regardless of what percentage that can or cant (and I will give you that alot can) there is no reason to villify someone that didn't...considering he said nothing wrong

Yeah, who cares pretty much.  It is kind of a childish act but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or think any less of him.  I do like Cam, but he's like the NFL equivalent of Paul George.  They both have growing up to do, that being said they both are still young. 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Everyone is different. Not everyone can be the scripted drone like Peyton and Brady. Give the guy a break

Dude, you said the same thing about the Marshawn Lynche retirement! Don't give me that crap. How about I act unprofessional to you right now and name call you? Oh, but don't hate me for it, because everyone acts different, right?

These are paid professionals who represent millions of fans aspiring to become future generations of athletes. QB's need to be good role models. It always rubs me the wrong way when QB's, like Tom, and now Cam, act disrespectful to the sport.

5 minutes ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Be careful on that high horse. He answered a couple of questions and left early. It's not like he flipped the table and gave people the bird. 

Not a high horse.   

He's a role model to a lot of kids.   

You're not always going to win.   

Gotta handle it better. Especially on that stage.   

No other QB does that.   

Example:  

Wilson last year. Manning the year before.   

Both terrible losses. Both great post game interviews. 

15 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

That's their job.     

So many others can do it.   

Peyton does it.   

Luck does it.   

Brady does it (off the field)  

Name one other QB that isn't professional in their post game.   

I can't think of one.   

If you're going to showboat, you have to handle the losses with dignity.   

I don't feel bad for him at all. He's making a lot of money.   Win or lose he falls back on that. 

Until you are in his situation which you will never be...Then you should not be casting stones. He was being asked the same questions, He was asked if this loss was hard at least 3 times, He did his obligation to the media..which he was not timed as far as I know  and he could end it when he wanted

3 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Not a high horse.   

He's a rule model to a lot of kids.   

You're not always going to win.   

Gotta handle it better. Especially on that stage.   

No other QB does that.   

Example Wilson last year. Manning the year before.   

Both terrible losses. Both great post game interviews. 

Cam isn't the first QB or player to leave early from an interview and he's certainly not going to be the last. He answered a couple of questions and left after. Doesn't owe it to them or to us to sit there for 40+ minutes answering variations of the same or similar questions. 

5 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Yeah, who cares pretty much.  It is kind of a childish act but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or think any less of him.  I do like Cam, but he's like the NFL equivalent of Paul George.  They both have growing up to do, that being said they both are still young. 

Now this I agree with. Both need to grow up still, Some people grow up at different speeds or whatver

5 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I do like Cam, but he's like the NFL equivalent of Paul George.  They both have growing up to do

Yea, I'd say. I like how near the end of the game, when the Carolina defense didn't make a play, we caught him falling down on the sideline and rolling onto his face. I swear I thought he was going to cry, like a child who wasn't getting what he wanted at a grocery store.

10 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Until you are in his situation which you will never be...Then you should not be casting stones. He was being asked the same questions, He was asked if this loss was hard at least 3 times, He did his obligation to the media..which he was not timed as far as I know  and he could end it when he wanted

I've been in a similar situation.   

Losing a state title in the final seconds in my senior year.     

I talked to every reporter who fielded questions.   

And I wasn't even getting paid to do so.   

And I was only an 18 year old  who just had the worst loss of his career in the biggest moment of his career.   

Like I said. He needs to grow up.   

Can't showboat when you win and act like that when you lose.   

Also don't act like you know me. 

I don't blame him. I'm not going to act like I am some superior to him - it's his life and he can do what he wants with it. I'm also not going to pretend that I would act "professional" after getting as close as you can be to achieving the goal you have spent the better part of your life striving for, only to fall short. It's devastating. 

Also, stop throwing around a "role model" to kids as some reasoning that he should act differently. Just because some people place others on a pedestal and worship them, doesn't mean that they have any sort of standard to live up to. That is your problem if you are worshiping people. Everyone has flaws. You can't just decide that people don't just because you idolize them. Look no further than Bill Cosby for a great example.  

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Walking out of an interview, I have not seen him do it before. So, even the best of NFL players on NFL Network are roasting him for it. I am not the only one ribbing him. You can check it out.

It is not like people are asking him questions they haven't asked SB losing QBs before. Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll were bombarded with "why did you guys not run the ball" questions last year, and they stuck around to answer even if it was difficult.

Deion Sanders kills me sometimes though. He acts like we don't remember him spraying that reporter in the face with that champagne bottle years ago.

Cam makes himself a target of criticism by acting so brash on the field and off it.  I believe he responded to the criticism of his dancing in the end zone by saying "if they don't like it then they should keep me from scoring" (or something to that effect).  As others have stated, if he wants to be big in winning then he also has to be big in losing.  If he accepts the MVP then he also accepts the responsibility that comes along with it as well; to uphold the sportsmanship of the brand.

Bottom line is that, while I'm extremely disappointed in what I saw, I will give him time to reflect on it and see if he offers some perspective which will make him look better.  IMO it was a bad showing, but he can bounce back in his next interview if done correctly. Hopefully he can put this behind him quickly.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Some of ya should not be talking about class or maturity, Many of ya all were the same ones chanting MVP Cam the last couple weeks. There is no need to villify Cam here. Most people cant handle having cameras shoved in there faces after a loss.....especially one in the SB. Cam will grow from this. He did not say anything wrong, He simply walked away rather then risk saying something wrong. This is part of Cams growth....dealing with  set back after alot of success...He should and probably will grow from this but there is no need to pile on him...But judging by some of the comments in this thread some of ya all are very immature yourselves and should be embarrased

I think you might be over reacting a bit. There were a lot of emotions with old and new fans in this game. It's more of the changing of the guard is here but then ended with not quite yet. Most everything said about Cam is true. You are right, Cam will grow from this. Maybe a little more humble as he realizes what it really takes to win a super bowl.

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Maybe I just understand it more because I'm like that. I'm so competitive I couldn't imagine facing the media after losing the Super Bowl.  I for one am not gonna hold it against him. 

That's also what we call being a soar looser today. And it's quite immature as well. Certianly doesn't say,much for a grown man who talked all the talk and all the trash, and then when he has to answer the questions after he loses, he walks out. Weak stuff to say the least.

I don't agree with Deion Sanders much, but this time I do:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap3000000634449/Deion-on-Cam-walking-out-of-presser-You-can-t-do-that?icampaign=nflcom-cs-homepage-videoswap_generic_nfl

Great video. Deion is absolutely right. Cam Newton is currently the face of the NFL because he won MVP. You can't be an MVP, hipping and hollering when you're winning, then acting all butt hurt when you're losing.

1 hour ago, Blackhawk4 said:

Be careful on that high horse. He answered a couple of questions and left early. It's not like he flipped the table and gave people the bird. 

It's the reporters. Why do people feel like the reporters are owed everything? They're the only ones that if players don't feel like talking to them, then the player it the bad person. 

Good or bad it is the reporters who the NFL fans listen to. So yes it is very important to represent yourself, your team and the NFL in a professional manor. No one said here that Cam is a bad person. Why are you adding stuff that isn't there?  The jest of the thread is about Cam's immaturity and his lack of knowing how to be humble when you just got humbled.

Guess I can't blame him too much. How many times are you supposed to answer a question of, 'Can you put into words how you're feeling after losing such an important game?' I feel like interviewing the Super Bowl loser is nothing more than the media trying to get a rise out of somebody. It's stupid, I would have walked out too.

3 hours ago, Gavin said:

No...Thats called human emotion. Thats not a societal issue. Nobody likes to lose. Nobody likes to be made to look bad. Thats not changed from the beginning of time. Im not saying he handled it great...Because he did not but thats no reasonto villify him or cut him down

3 hours ago, Blackhawk4 said:

I believe he did. I could care less about him not wanting to answer a ton of questions. Dude showed respect to the team he lost to.

I agree with both posts written by Gavin & BH4. If Cam refused to answer any questions at the post game press conference as the losing team, then you'd have a concrete point about a lack of maturity [those fans crucifying Newton right now I mean.] Cam detractors need to remember that this is his 1st SB appearance as an NFL QB meaning it's difficult for anyone to gauge their emotional state right after a loss on the biggest sports stage imaginable. 

Let's not forget that when Peyton Manning & the Broncos lost to the Seahawks in 2013, he refused to elaborate on what accounted for a poor individual performance in his capacity as QB that night, he answered a few brief questions, & walked on the stage himself.

Not much of a difference there in how Manning handled his loss that year either. How quickly some fans forget...Then, 18 went on David Letterman a few weeks later refusing to elaborate on what he did poorly on the field that contributed to the Broncos lopsided defeat that year. Remember that? I sure do. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I agree with both posts written by Gavin & BH4. If Cam refused to answer any questions at the post game press conference as the losing team, then you'd have a concrete point about a lack of maturity [those fans crucifying Newton right now I mean.] Cam detractors need to remember that this is his 1st SB appearance as an NFL QB meaning it's difficult for anyone to gauge their emotional state right after a loss on the biggest sports stage imaginable. 

Let's not forget that when Peyton Manning & the Broncos lost to the Seahawks in 2013, he refused to elaborate on what accounted for a poor individual performance in his capacity as QB that night, he answered a few brief questions, & walked on the stage himself.

Not much of a difference there in how Manning handled his loss that year either. How quickly some fans forget...Then, 18 went on David Letterman a few weeks later refusing to elaborate on what he did poorly on the field that contributed to the Broncos lopsided defeat that year. Remember that? I sure do. 

Newton came no where close to looking this good in defeat last night.

For those complaining about him walking out oh please lose the biggest game you've been for you're whole career  when you already have a serious issue with losing. Being that he sat there for 5 minutes shows that he gave them the time that they required just like how marshawn lynch does..he isn't manning Brady  he doesn't have to sit there and just answer the same question he explained it one good time  how they got outplayed and that's that. He's still a good qb  who came up short  he'll get better but stop hating the man for walking out of a meaningless presser..

5 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I don't agree with Deion Sanders much, but this time I do:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap3000000634449/Deion-on-Cam-walking-out-of-presser-You-can-t-do-that?icampaign=nflcom-cs-homepage-videoswap_generic_nfl

Great video. Deion is absolutely right. Cam Newton is currently the face of the NFL because he won MVP. You can't be an MVP, hipping and hollering when you're winning, then acting all butt hurt when you're losing.

Dieon can't comment he's never lost a Super Bowl regardless of cams award he lost and just like Faulk said he's been in the situation they have no idea how it feels to lose on the biggest stage and answer the same repetitive questions when you already gave an answer 

8 minutes ago, will426 said:

Dieon can't comment he's never lost a Super Bowl regardless of cams award he lost and just like Faulk said he's been in the situation they have no idea how it feels to lose on the biggest stage and answer the same repetitive questions when you already gave an answer 

He has no trouble answering the same repetitive questions when he wins.   Be a man and a leader and do the difficult thing when you don't like a true professional.

1 hour ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

I'm not the least bit surprised by the way the man acted.  He is a front runner who is quite happy to clown it up for the cameras with his Superman thing when everything is going great but he pouts when things go badly.

You realize how silly this sounds, right? You have a lot of players celebrating when it goes well and when they lose they prefer to have brief post game interviews. If you watch the interview you already hear 3-4 variations of the same question being asked. If he doesn't want to sit through hearing the same question multiple times, leaving after a couple of minutes is pretty fair. You want him to sit there for 30-40 minutes then have reporters ask him different questions and give him a legit reason to stay there. 

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Being smart enough to know how to handle the media is part of being a leader. Cam has all the tools to be a great player but don't have the mind set of being a leader. The art of handling the media is answer the questions but really tell them nothing. Give them what they know and nothing for them to make an issue with. It may make for a boring interview but who cares. Media hounds have no problem adding their own twist to things without help from the person being interviewed.

Didn't see the interview but he shouldn't walk out on it.  I know that has to be tough to face that but Russell Wilson faced it down after throwing a pick that cost the seahawks the SB, took the blame too even though it was a scripted throw. (That throw was basically a play where he takes the snap and throws it at a spot and the receiver is just suppose to go get it, but Butler read the play perfectly.)  

Manning faced it down the year before that after the Seahawks completely destroyed his team in one of the least competitive SB's in history.

I know it's probably hard to do but it's something you have to do as a pro football player.

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

also want a big difference between Cam and Luck.....look no further than the fumble he backed away from.

Ok, you got to cape up for Andrew Luck. Congratulations. Now what exactly does that have to do with this press conference and how Cam behaved during it? 

10 hours ago, Moose Of Woe said:

Act like a professional?

No Kidding, these are examples of the narcissists in the league, They are mouthy when they  are winning and silent or whiny when they lose.

The superman tee shirt he wears all the time put him out there for ridicule so here it is  He is a complete opposite from Manning or Harrison, They were superior but stayed humble and let their play speak volumes for them.

I appreciate that he prays before a game but self glorification is not a trait that God appreciates.

8 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Cam makes himself a target of criticism by acting so brash on the field and off it.  I believe he responded to the criticism of his dancing in the end zone by saying "if they don't like it then they should keep me from scoring" (or something to that effect).  As others have stated, if he wants to be big in winning then he also has to be big in losing.  If he accepts the MVP then he also accepts the responsibility that comes along with it as well; to uphold the sportsmanship of the brand.

Bottom line is that, while I'm extremely disappointed in what I saw, I will give him time to reflect on it and see if he offers some perspective which will make him look better.  IMO it was a bad showing, but he can bounce back in his next interview if done correctly. Hopefully he can put this behind him quickly.

I agree, and bouncing back from this should start with dropping the mugging, and celebrating after every positive play. When you drop the childish antics on the field, it makes it easier not to act like a child off the field.

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

What elaborate answer do you need, southwest? He said in his post SB interview that they just couldn't get it going to sum it up. He didn't want to use the term embarrassing though the score indicated as such due to all the hard work he and his teammates put in during the year. He wasn't going to use the excuse "Von Miller did not play, Chris Harris did not play, Ryan Clady his star LT did not play, Derek Wolfe did not play" but we knowledgeable fans know it without him saying it. The Seahawks defenders were all over him and them.

If he says "our O-line did not give me time or we couldn't find holes for our running game", it would be "Peyton is throwing his OL under the bus". If he says "the refs weren't calling illegal contact and allowing the Seahawks DBs to mug our wideouts", it would be "Peyton is whining".

Peyton would have been damned if he did, damned if he didn't. I remember you harping on it but you are not going to get anymore than what you got. If players explained every play why their execution didn't happen, you will find out they are humans too and as the player that touches the ball every possession, the QB will get a lion's share of the credit or the blame of "throwing others under the bus" as soon as he opens the mouth. That is why the cliched or generic answers. 

In this case, Cam did not even want to give the cliched or generic answers. But he could have easily given credit to the Broncos and said we weren't the better team and took a few more questions. Not the end of the world but I expected more from him. I asked people to leave RG3 alone early on in year 2 of his career and defended him but now, they are seeing his true colors when faced with adversity. I had no issues with Cam's celebrations while winning because he had earned it. But if he does not grow up, he could go down the RG3 "not dealing with adversity well" path in a tough NFC, IMO. Cam however has the on field upside that RG doesn't, so he will win enough to keep him afloat but he has to learn to handle adversity better as time goes on. That is all I am going to say.

it was brought up this morning & discussed on MIKE & Mike & other stations and Brian Dawkins elaborated on this on 1 program that

, not as an excuse as all said he still should of acted better

BUT As An Explanation that makes sense

just before he walked out , unfortunately the NFL set up both teams interview booths way to close to each other

as a result just before he walked and he heard this while tring to also here and answer ?'s

he heard Chris Harris answering the media with   how the Defense planned to and successfully took Cam out of the game, they made him uncomfortable like he never was before, they made his throws poor, they planned and executed to stop his running opinions etc etc etc 

so Cam yes never should of walked out but for the 3 minutes he was out there with shrugs and 1 word answers he not just heard questions but was hearing from Denver media sessions how they simply stopped Cam and that was the key  to the game 

He needed to be knocked down a notch or two.  He has been cocky and narcissistic all season.  

It's okay to celebrate and be happy when you win.  But be gracious.  Be humble in a loss too.

I know he was disappointed,  and no one wants to face the press after a devastating loss, but I think he acted like a child in the press conference.  And it wasn't really a surprise. He probably should gave just declined the interview.  Although he would have taken some heat for declining, it would have still been better for him than the * he made of himself.

The interesting thing is that this could have easily been an undefeated team going into the game yesterday. Without one crap game against Atlanta, we could be sitting here talking about how once again, an 18-0 team got beat in the Superbowl. 

A great man once said, "When you win say little, when you lose say less"...i don't blame him one bit for feeling the way he does...it's easy to sit here and criticize players who act one way or another. Some handle things better than others, and who are we to tell them what's proper. It doesn't affect my thoughts on the guy as a player one bit.

3 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

The interesting thing is that this could have easily been an undefeated team going into the game yesterday. Without one crap game against Atlanta, we could be sitting here talking about how once again, an 18-0 team got beat in the Superbowl. 

A great man once said, "When you win say little, when you lose say less"...i don't blame him one bit for feeling the way he does...it's easy to sit here and criticize players who act one way or another. Some handle things better than others, and who are we to tell them what's proper.

I've never really been in favor of the quick availability of an athlete for the post game interview. It's meant to capture their emotions, but I'd rather offer them their space until they're ready to talk.

However, that said, this whole Cam thing only bothers me because he's so boastful, showboat, disrespectful to the opponent, when things are going well. If you can't handle yourself well, when you're losing, it doesn't play well.