Cam Newton walks out of post SB interview

chad72

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Everyone is different. Not everyone can be the scripted drone like Peyton and Brady. Give the guy a break

Walking out of an interview, I have not seen him do it before. So, even the best of NFL players on NFL Network are roasting him for it. I am not the only one ribbing him. You can check it out.

It is not like people are asking him questions they haven't asked SB losing QBs before. Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll were bombarded with "why did you guys not run the ball" questions last year, and they stuck around to answer even if it was difficult.

1 minute ago, SP_21 said:

Everyone is different. Not everyone can be the scripted drone like Peyton and Brady. Give the guy a break

Its called being a professional. He's being paid millions to play. Win or lose, face the media. He acted like a 12 year old. Especially bad after all the Dabbing and chest thumping he'd done all season. 

Just now, SP_21 said:

Absolutely not. Dude was talking trash all season long. Especially all week. He wants the glory than he needs to be able to face the tough questions when loses happen.  He's immature and a crybaby. 

I used to love Reggie Miller trash talk but at least he stuck around and answers the tough questions when loses happened, even if crying at the time. Newton just can't handle the pressure 

Just now, SP_21 said:

It's a new era. I love guys who wear their emotions on their sleeves. I love Cam. His attitude and emotion are refreshing in an era of drone like interviews. 

You can wear your emotions on your sleeve all you want. But you can face tough questions and show the same leadership that you showed while winning. It is not too much to expect from a leader of a team.

I'd be pretty ticked as well if I got smashed around by the Denver Broncos D.  

They had had a cupcake schedule and a disorganized bad Colts team almost beat them @ Carolina.  They ran into the wrong team on the wrong day.  They were good but IMO they over achieved. 

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

It's a new era. I love guys who wear their emotions on their sleeves. I love Cam. His attitude and emotion are refreshing in an era of drone like interviews. 

Walking out on an interview is not refreshing or professional. He walked out because he didn't back up his big talk.

Just now, chad72 said:

You can wear your emotions on your sleeve all you want. But you can face tough questions and show the same leadership that you showed while winning. It is not too much to expect from a leader of a team.

Maybe I just understand it more because I'm like that. I'm so competitive I couldn't imagine facing the media after losing the Super Bowl.  I for one am not gonna hold it against him. 

Win with pride, lose with dignity.  

That's all I'll say.   

Peyton and Luck have both done it the right way their whole career.   

If you're going to showboat, you have to be able to handle yourself when things don't go your way.   

He's not a kid anymore. Grow up. 

I'm really disappointed in Cam.  I thought he was maturing really well, but I guess he still has a lot of growing to do.  Everything is well and good when you're winning, but it's adversity that reveals your character.  We learned Cam still has a lot of learning and maturity left to do.  It's disappointing because I really like Cam and I loved seeing him progress to where he is on in terms of his on-the-field ability.  But as a leader, he has a lot of work to do to reach guys like Peyton.

Some of ya should not be talking about class or maturity, Many of ya all were the same ones chanting MVP Cam the last couple weeks. There is no need to villify Cam here. Most people cant handle having cameras shoved in there faces after a loss.....especially one in the SB. Cam will grow from this. He did not say anything wrong, He simply walked away rather then risk saying something wrong. This is part of Cams growth....dealing with  set back after alot of success...He should and probably will grow from this but there is no need to pile on him...But judging by some of the comments in this thread some of ya all are very immature yourselves and should be embarrased

14 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

yeah i wish they wouldn't waste time on interviews with players and coaches that never say anything.  andrew luck is bad about this too.  i know its in the contracts, but nobody wants to hear an interview full of cliches and and i'm on to next week 

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Some of ya should not be talking about class or maturity, Many of ya all were the same ones chanting MVP Cam the last couple weeks. There is no need to villify Cam here. Most people cant handle having cameras shoved in there faces after a loss.....especially one in the SB. Cam will grow from this. He did not say anything wrong, He simply walked away rather then risk saying something wrong. This is part of Cams growth....dealing with  set back after alot of success...He should and probably will grow from this but there is no need to pile on him...But judging by some of the comments in this thread some of ya all are very immature yourselves and should be embarrased

He deserves MVP, but he also deserves the criticism he's receiving now.  When things are great, you laugh and dab.  When things are bad, you need to face the criticism.  It's childish to celebrate when things are good, then pout when you lose.

12 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

So the new era is be a showboat, look arrogant, talk trash and walk out on an interview when things don't go your way? I don't think that's the new era. That's Cam Newton's style, not a new era. The guy is good, without a doubt, but have a little humility. A more humble person could have handled that post-game interview. When you think the world of yourself, it's difficult to accept defeat.

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm really disappointed in Cam.  I thought he was maturing really well, but I guess he still has a lot of growing to do.  Everything is well and good when you're winning, but it's adversity that reveals your character.  We learned Cam still has a lot of learning and maturity left to do.  It's disappointing because I really like Cam and I loved seeing him progress to where he is on in terms of his on-the-field ability.  But as a leader, he has a lot of work to do to reach guys like Peyton.

This is dead-on.

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

He deserves MVP, but he also deserves the criticism he's receiving now.  When things are great, you laugh and dab.  When things are bad, you need to face the criticism.  It's childish to celebrate when things are good, then pout when you lose.

Truth. I will dab to that! Uuuuuh! 

9 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Most of the population is the same way..They just don happen to have a ton of mics and cameras spotlighting them, Everyone deals with losing a little different...especially right after the fact..Had he been given a little time he probably would not have done that...Many would not hve given a little time

It was weak.  He's paid to be there,it's part of the whole package of being the face of a franchise.  Probably the worst disappointment he's endured, and he's human, and thus allowed mistakes..... maybe he learns to not get too high after success, or too low after failure after this.....  but showboats tend to not handle failure....  so, we shall see.....

Most would react like 

2 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Most of the population is the same way..They just don happen to have a ton of mics and cameras spotlighting them, Every deals with losing a little different...especially right after the fact..Had he been given a little time he probably would not have done that...Many would not hve given a little time

Many in society would you are right.  That's part of what's wrong with society.

4 minutes ago, 18Manning said:

So the new era is be a showboat, look arrogant, talk trash and walk out on an interview when things don't go your way? I don't think that's the new era. That's Cam Newton's style, not a new era. The guy is good, without a doubt, but have a little humility. A more humble person could have handled that post-game interview. When you think the world of yourself, it's difficult to accept defeat.

I'm not gonna crucify a guy for walking away in that moment. Probably one of the hardest things he's ever faced. Guys don't have an obligation to be drones anymore. I hate Andrew Lucks stupid interviews full of cliches when we lose. Just speak your mind and if what you want to say might be inappropriate walk away. I have no problem with what Cam did. 

17 minutes ago, Gavin said:

It's quite the opposite, most players/coaches CAN handle cameras in their faces after a loss.  

7 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Most of the population is the same way..They just don happen to have a ton of mics and cameras spotlighting them, Everyone deals with losing a little different...especially right after the fact..Had he been given a little time he probably would not have done that...Many would not hve given a little time

He should know what to expect.  Win or lose, the cameras will be in your face and they will be asking you questions.  Be prepared to deal with it if you lose.  Don't act like a child.  If you want to use that excuse, then Ron Rivera should have also been pouting and giving one word answers, but he gave thoughtful and classy responses to Evan Washburn.  Ron Rivera is a professional and a good leader.  Cam still has room to grow.  This doesn't mean Cam is a bad person or that Cam is a horrible player.  He just has a lot of maturing to do.

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Most would react like 

Many in society would you are right.  That's part of what's wrong with society.

No...Thats called human emotion. Thats not a societal issue. Nobody likes to lose. Nobody likes to be made to look bad. Thats not changed from the beginning of time. Im not saying he handled it great...Because he did not but thats no reasonto villify him or cut him down

18 minutes ago, Gavin said:

That's their job.     

So many others can do it.   

Peyton does it.   

Luck does it.   

Brady does it (off the field)  

Name one other QB that isn't professional in their post game.   

I can't think of one.   

If you're going to showboat, you have to handle the losses with dignity.   

I don't feel bad for him at all. He's making a lot of money.   Win or lose he falls back on that. 

7 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I'm not gonna crucify a guy for walking away in that moment. Probably one of the hardest things he's ever faced. Guys don't have an obligation to be drones anymore. I hate Andrew Lucks stupid interviews full of cliches when we lose. Just speak your mind and if what you want to say might be inappropriate walk away. I have no problem with what Cam did. 

Sure, it's hard to lose. IMO, you are among the minority to think walking off an interview is okay. He's obviously the leader of the team, he should act like a leader. Better to be cliché than to just walk off.

3 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

It's quite the opposite, most players/coaches CAN handle cameras in their faces after a loss.  

Regardless of what percentage that can or cant (and I will give you that alot can) there is no reason to villify someone that didn't...considering he said nothing wrong

I like Cam, just think more should strive to persevere and controlling ones emotions in appropriate times/places is part of what  becoming successful and maintaining success is in a big business world such as the NFL.  Respecting your employer and the media who are doing their job, or lacking the ability to do so, could have any number of causes...... but lacking accountability, even in an emotionally charged and public setting, is never a positive thing.

I  like Cam - so I am bit disappointed that he handled that presser that way.  
It is part of being professional - you get paid LOTS of money to play the game you love.

I felt bad for him when I saw the presser because I know he will get killed by the media.

Especially bad because as Deion said, he is the MVP of the league.

5 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Seriously.   

Russell Wilson cost his team the Super Bowl on a dumb throw and still handled it with superb class.   

Grow up, Cam. You're too old to act like that. 

Be careful on that high horse. He answered a couple of questions and left early. It's not like he flipped the table and gave people the bird. 

It's the reporters. Why do people feel like the reporters are owed everything? They're the only ones that if players don't feel like talking to them, then the player it the bad person.