Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell To Meet With New Gm/press Conference News Merge

1959Colts

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be a colossal mistake to keep Caldwell here. I know Irsay has a man love for him, but that is absolutely no reason to keep an under qualified, mediocre(at best),poor game manager head coach. If Grigson keeps Caldwell it will already make me question just how much say(or lack there of) he actually has in the direction of this team.

Mike Lombardi on ESPN says that he believes Caldwell will be fired and that Peyton Manning, if healthy, will remain a Colt to be a constant for the team amonst all the turnover of personnel. He says the franchise will be faithful to Manning.

Could be..but illogical...If Manning stays..you want to keep the older guys for a couple more runs,. right?

Mike Lombardi on ESPN says that he believes Caldwell will be fired and that Peyton Manning, if healthy, will remain a Colt to be a constant for the team amonst all the turnover of personnel. He says the franchise will be faithful to Manning.

Isn't Lombardi on NFL network?

Just my guess. I am not saying I know, because I dont. It's what I feel is going to happen. I also dont know just what is the best thing to do .........but I am going to trust the men in place to make those decisions based on the future of the Indianapolis Colts.

#1 - I am pleased that Jim Irsay has both the vision to see that it was time for a restructure at the top of the franchise, and the spine to make the change.

#2 - I am veeeerrry pleased at the acquisition of Ryan Grigson. I think he is going to not only return this franchise to greatness, he is going to do it with solid players in all three phases of the game.

#3 - Based on the previous 2 events, those decisions are not only extremely sane IMO, but they tell me that if Caldwell is retained, that too will be a good decision, if not anything more than a one year stint while the owner makes sure of PM's health, as well as other players.

I also would ask those who feel that if this happens, that it is really bad.....doom for the franchise....and so on, to come to the boards, voice your frustration, or any other emotion you have on the subject, heck....voice it several times....and then get on board with whatever decision is made by Irsay/Grigson. No, I am not trying to censor anyone. I am asking for support.

It use to be that way in politics, no matter which side of the aisle you were on, once the president was chosen we all got behind him and supported the leader of the country. That has changed. Now our people do everything on both sides to tear the other side down the whole time they are in office.

Again, not trying to tell people what to think. Just suggesting that as a fan base, whatever changes are made, will not be reversed because of fan displeasure. Get it off your chest, voice your opinion, good or bad....and then join in the support of our team. Peace.

Just my guess. I am not saying I know, because I dont. It's what I feel is going to happen. I also dont know just what is the best thing to do .........but I am going to trust the men in place to make those decisions based on the future of the Indianapolis Colts.

#1 - I am pleased that Jim Irsay has both the vision to see that it was time for a restructure at the top of the franchise, and the spine to make the change.

#2 - I am veeeerrry pleased at the acquisition of Ryan Grigson. I think he is going to not only return this franchise to greatness, he is going to do it with solid players in all three phases of the game.

#3 - Based on the previous 2 events, those decisions are not only extremely sane IMO, but they tell me that if Caldwell is retained, that too will be a good decision, if not anything more than a one year stint while the owner makes sure of PM's health, as well as other players.

I also would ask those who feel that if this happens, that it is really bad.....doom for the franchise....and so on, to come to the boards, voice your frustration, or any other emotion you have on the subject, heck....voice it several times....and then get on board with whatever decision is made by Irsay/Grigson. No, I am not trying to censor anyone. I am asking for support.

It use to be that way in politics, no matter which side of the aisle you were on, once the president was chosen we all got behind him and supported the leader of the country. That has changed. Now our people do everything on both sides to tear the other side down the whole time they are in office.

Again, not trying to tell people what to think. Just suggesting that as a fan base, whatever changes are made, will not be reversed because of fan displeasure. Get it off your chest, voice your opinion, good or bad....and then join in the support of our team. Peace.

The irony of 'Warhorse' asking for peace is nt lost on me..

But Caldwell coming back was more than probable when Irsay fired Polian and did NOT fire JC

Caldwell has a year left on his deal..and he probably should get the chance to ressurect the Colts to the 10-7 of 2010 and the 16-3 of 2009..

Losses aside.. The big thing to me this year is that the Colts played hard..and that's on the coach.

If we dont make the playoffs with a helalthy Peyton manning......you can still simply not renew his contract in 12 months..

For Grigson....a newcomer...this is an easy decision...

Hard support any moves that don't involve coaching changes, answer this what have we done other than fire a great talent evaluator, who many believe is the one of the best GM'S ever.I am not saying that was a bad move , but if that is the only change then we have all been duped. Look no further than San Fran. if you are silly enough to think coaching doesn't matter. From darn near last to darn near first all with just getting a real football coach. One who played in big games, one who actually won most of his college games, a real coach with passion and desire and an ability to will men to victory, what a concept! Come Irsay wake up and get INDY real coach and please don't waste another year.There are some real dynamic young coaches out there,now go get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But Caldwell coming back was more than probable when Irsay fired Polian and did NOT fire JC

Caldwell has a year left on his deal..and he probably should get the chance to ressurect the Colts to the 10-7 of 2010 and the 16-3 of 2009..

Losses aside.. The big thing to me this year is that the Colts played hard..and that's on the coach.

If we dont make the playoffs with a helalthy Peyton manning......you can still simply not renew his contract in 12 months..

Yes Caldwell "needs" respect for keeping Indy in the game late...... that really is something to hanga hat on.

But for Grigs... this is not an easy dec.

We shall seee.....

Hard support any moves that don't involve coaching changes, answer this what have we done other than fire a great talent evaluator, who many believe is the one of the best GM'S ever.I am not saying that was a bad move , but if that is the only change then we have all been duped. Look no further than San Fran. if you are silly enough to think coaching doesn't matter. From darn near last to darn near first all with just getting a real football coach. One who played in big games, one who actually won most of his college games, a real coach with passion and desire and an ability to will men to victory, what a concept! Come Irsay wake up and get INDY real coach and please don't waste another year.There are some real dynamic young coaches out there,now go get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well said

Unc. the bottom line is, that he has proven time after time to be a horrible game manager, why GIVE and I mean GIVE him another year ,what will be different. He will still play not to lose instead of playing to win,but hey why not? whats another bad year. Mr. Irsay said the fans deserved better and changes AND NOTHING, we have been duped.

Duped? The dictionary describes that as, "to deceive, esp by trickery; make a dupe or tool of; cheat; fool".

What would be the motivation for Jim Irsay to do any of these things? What would he gain?

Duped? The dictionary describes that as, "to deceive, esp by trickery; make a dupe or tool of; cheat; fool".

What would be the motivation for Jim Irsay to do any of these things? What would he gain?

exactly, backlash. He said it was time for change and to rebuild, now you tell me what has changed? nothing. The only change is bringing a young GM,who I HEARD SAY THAT HE WILL LEARN THE SALARY CAP ON THE FLY, REALLY. Not what I would call sweeping changes,but we will have the same lame coaches that got us in this mess.I.E. duped!

I think he would be ok with a top-tier or up and coming OC and DC....or with Manning back then just a DC since he's the OC pretty much. But we NEED a big change in defensive philosophy in terms of schemes, aggressiveness, unpredictability, talent, etc. Not talking a 3-4 transition, but getting key guys to make the D better. Look at today what happened when the Packers D didn't come up with the turnovers they had been getting all year. Eerily similar to the Colts one and dones...Offense struggles and makes uncharacteristic turnovers, defense that has been giving up big yards but getting key takeaways all season gets exposed.....For all the talk of offense, only one top flight offense is left in the playoffs (Pats). Saints, gone. Pack, done. Houston (well they have an excuse), done. DEFENSE still wins playoff games

Mike Lombardi at ESPN says Caldwell goes and Manning stays. He doesn't say he's got inside info, so it's probably just an educated guess.

Coaches make a difference (Harbaugh and the 49ers) but you can also look no further than our Pacers. Jim O'Brien was a below average coach at best and did NOTHING with what he had. Years passed and attendance dropped as the losses mounted. O'Brien was FINALLY fired mid season with young Frank V taking over the SAME team and making the playoffs. Now with a couple of added pieces the young coach and team are considered on the rise by most insiders. When people say the team played hard for Caldwell I beg to differ. The Pats lost Brady and still WON 11 games. Even without Peyton we had more talent than MOST of the bottom feeders of the nfl but only managed 2 wins out of 16 games. If I recall the Saints dropped 62 pts on a team that some say played HARD for their coach. Lets make the move across the board and get away from the "do what we do." I'm all for a rising oc ( Packers or Saints) for head coach and PROVEN dc. The Texans went from dead last in defense to top 5 in one year by replacing the dc and changing there base defense. Don't just SETTLE for subpar!

I think he would be ok with a top-tier or up and coming OC and DC....or with Manning back then just a DC since he's the OC pretty much. But we NEED a big change in defensive philosophy in terms of schemes, aggressiveness, unpredictability, talent, etc. Not talking a 3-4 transition, but getting key guys to make the D better. Look at today what happened when the Packers D didn't come up with the turnovers they had been getting all year. Eerily similar to the Colts one and dones...Offense struggles and makes uncharacteristic turnovers, defense that has been giving up big yards but getting key takeaways all season gets exposed.....For all the talk of offense, only one top flight offense is left in the playoffs (Pats). Saints, gone. Pack, done. Houston (well they have an excuse), done. DEFENSE still wins playoff games

Well, if the Pats win the SB this argument goes out the window.

Coaches make a difference (Harbaugh and the 49ers) but you can also look no further than our Pacers. Jim O'Brien was a below average coach at best and did NOTHING with what he had. Years passed and attendance dropped as the losses mounted. O'Brien was FINALLY fired mid season with young Frank V taking over the SAME team and making the playoffs. Now with a couple of added pieces the young coach and team are considered on the rise by most insiders. When people say the team played hard for Caldwell I beg to differ. The Pats lost Brady and still WON 11 games. Even without Peyton we had more talent than MOST of the bottom feeders of the nfl but only managed 2 wins out of 16 games. If I recall the Saints dropped 62 pts on a team that some say played HARD for their coach. Lets make the move across the board and get away from the "do what we do." I'm all for a rising oc ( Packers or Saints) for head coach and PROVEN dc. The Texans went from dead last in defense to top 5 in one year by replacing the dc and changing there base defense. Don't just SETTLE for subpar!

But they DID stick with their HC, and what's he done?

exactly, backlash. He said it was time for change and to rebuild, now you tell me what has changed? nothing. The only change is bringing a young GM,who I HEARD SAY THAT HE WILL LEARN THE SALARY CAP ON THE FLY, REALLY. Not what I would call sweeping changes,but we will have the same lame coaches that got us in this mess.I.E. duped!

So it appears that you feel it was coaching that got us this last season. Jim Irsay appearantly feels that it was the players that Polian had selected, or....in the case of no competent back up QB.....had not selected (let us not forget about injuries). You still haven't answered the question of what would Jim Irsay possibly gain from duping the fans...er you?

As far as the possible issue of Grigson not knowing the salary cap, I'll take a hard working guy with an eye for players over a salary cap expert any day. Take a look at Daniel Snyder. The guy has genius cap people assisting him, thats why he continually throws major money at FA's. But the guy cant get his team past 500.

Finally, the only reason I responded to your post, is your use of the word "we". If you had said "I feel duped", not a word from me. I hope you reach a point during the season where you feel that you have been treated better by the franchise. However....Not wanting to get in an arguement, I graciously offer a truce about this, give your response, but I am done. Peace.

the new GM is an absolute joker. A nobody.

It's sad that we went and took a pedestrian off the street just to replace Polian who is one of the greatest GM's ever

This organization has completely gone to the toilet

Wow way to stay optimistic. Grigson hasn't even been here a WEEK yet and you're already throwing him under the bus. Take a walk if that's how you feel.