Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Offensive Line, Stop Blowing it up!!!

Smitto

After reading the latest article on IndyStar about the Colts offensive line, im thinking ppl have forgotten that the colts were TIED for the fewest sacks allowed in the NFL last year.... Some peoples argument to that would be "Oh its cause manning has a quick release" and your right he does... No one knows what they are gonna get out of the likes of guys like Likenbach, but i do know that whoever the colts shuffle in they always seem to give peyton "enough" time to get rid of the ball... Dont forget that other teams play defense as well. The only thing the colts need help on is run blocking, with that Diem needs to be removed from the starting lineup cause he is not good at it at all he's old and a false start king... the colts have young guys who CAN play McClendon is one of the strongest guys in the NFL or so ive heard. So i see no reason the colts needing to bring in some fancy old named veteran.

NY Life Protection Index

Many people ignore this because it goes against the perceptions and most people cannot take that. Not only does that show the Colts as the best pass protecting line last year, they were the best line by quite a margin.

Explanation

While the New York Life Protection Index is calculated using a proprietary formula, the fundamentals are comprised of the length of a team’s pass attempts combined with penalties by offensive linemen, sacks allowed and quarterback hurries and knockdowns.

Your comment about Diem and run blocking off. There was quite a drop off in run blocking when Diem was out for the playoff game. Diem is not as good at the 2nd level as he has been in the past but at the POA he still mauls the defenders.

After reading the latest article on IndyStar about the Colts offensive line, im thinking ppl have forgotten that the colts were TIED for the fewest sacks allowed in the NFL last year.... Some peoples argument to that would be "Oh its cause manning has a quick release" and your right he does... No one knows what they are gonna get out of the likes of guys like Likenbach, but i do know that whoever the colts shuffle in they always seem to give peyton "enough" time to get rid of the ball... Dont forget that other teams play defense as well. The only thing the colts need help on is run blocking, with that Diem needs to be removed from the starting lineup cause he is not good at it at all he's old and a false start king... the colts have young guys who CAN play McClendon is one of the strongest guys in the NFL or so ive heard. So i see no reason the colts needing to bring in some fancy old named veteran.

Diem is just here as an insurance policy, he wont be the starter the whole season id say maybe the first 3 games if that...i think other guys like mcclendon, ijalalna etc will have a crack at his spot, if they dont take it during camp

What is it with every body jumping on the Ryan Diem false start bandwagon. Its turned into one heck of a snowball. Need to check his stats and starts before you all start crucifying this guy. This guy is still a good tackle, put Likenback in there and watch him get mauled by stronger DE's I think we will be fine at the OL position. We only have one of the top offenses in the league every year. I agree we at least need some type of running game, but we will get there. PATIENCE YOUNG GRASSHOPPER

I think a lot Diem's false starts are b/c he's trying to keep the DE from getting around him and he moves prematurely.

I honestly thought they would cut him b/c of his contract, but since he's back at a lower price I wouldn't mind seeing him at RG.

Castonzo - McClendon(deVan)- Saturday(pollack)- Diem - Linkenbach(ijalana) I think this would be a good O-line.

The thought is that a line should give a QB at least 4 seconds to get rid of the ball. I just heard on the radio last week, that it was looked at and on average Peyton only held the ball for 2 seconds! So obviously there won't be many sacks if Peyton is getting rid of the ball in 2 secs on average. However, that bogs down the whole offense...it means that we aren't stretching the field (as it takes awhile to run deep patterns), so that keeps the D bunched up along the line of scrimmage...which then also negatively impacts the running game. It is all interconnected.

Yes Peyton Has a quick release so hardly sacked but imagine if he had time to stay in the pocket and let plays develop & scope out the field, u would have more deep throwns and more yards per attempt than last years decline

Not Being Sacked doesnt mean he wasnt hammered quite often after the play

being a Dr i have watched for those hits ,if u think he never gets hit u dont watch what happens after the play , or later after game breakdown on various networks, nor weren't on My Colts last year and seen all the photos others posted &, On my Colts I posted many a picture after each game last year of devestating hits, In first game vs Texans after 1 of many a hit he layed motionless with neck twisted and ref Ed Hockerlee was about to signal for team Drs when he started to get up,

I even had an album / set of devastating hits . The Following typically happened way to often or something quite similar after the ball was thrown

please look at picture in this blog , if not all of comments

My link

Yes Peyton Has a quick release so hardly sacked but imagine if he had time to stay in the pocket and let plays develop & scope out the field, u would have more deep throwns and more yards per attempt than last years decline

Not Being Sacked doesnt mean he wasnt hammered quite often after the play

being a Dr i have watched for those hits ,if u think he never gets hit u dont watch what happens after the play , or later after game breakdown on various networks, nor weren't on My Colts last year and seen all the photos others posted &, On my Colts I posted many a picture after each game last year of devestating hits, In first game vs Texans after 1 of many a hit he layed motionless with neck twisted and ref Ed Hockerlee was about to signal for team Drs when he started to get up,

I even had an album / set of devastating hits . The Following typically happened way to often or something quite similar after the ball was thrown

please look at picture in this blog , if not all of comments

My link

Finally someone gets it. Just b/c he doesn't get sacked doesn't mean he didn't get hammered all the time. He also had no time to look deep. I think this year with the new rookies and hopefully add a veteran tackle we will have a solid line so plays can develop down the field.