1. 1. Who is more of a icon in indy

• Peyton manning
    • Reggie miller

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, General_Hux said:

GoatBeard summed it up more eloquently than I have, but if you didn't live here from the early 90's to the early 2000's, you can't ever know what it was like then.  

I live in Fort Wayne and I grew up watching Reggie.  They were the big show up here too.  I remember we had a kid in class from New York and everyone was on him about the Knicks.  He went to one playoff game in Indy, and  said he went to a gas station in Anderson(the Pacers lost that night).  He had his Starks jersey and the cashier refused him service and told him to leave.  Yeah, it was pretty intense back then.  It was definitely Reggie's town and even most of the state(betting N.W. Indiana leaned more towards Jordan and the Bulls).  I was so sad when Reggie retired without a ring.  But the guy could still shoot, although his defending had declined quite a bit.    The only reason to Pacers had such a sharp decline afterwards was all of the players acting like thugs and getting into trouble.  The current team is pretty likeable and I enjoy watching them, but I would be lying if I said I didn't give up on them for a few years.  Almost entirely for the reason I mentioned. 

As far as bigger star in their city, it's really tough.   I think in Reggie's prime he was the bigger deal.  But at the same time, Peyton put football on the map in Indy and may have saved the Colts from leaving.  So during their careers, I'd give Reggie the edge, but long term has to be Manning.  Half of the RCA dome was filled with different jerseys before him, now it's a sea of blue. 

17 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Sorry, I didn't see where the OP said for locals only.

ok, go back to your riveting argument of "you don't know what you are talking about because you disagree with me"

The question is....

Who is the bigger icon in INDIANA. 

And yet  you keep speaking from a national perspective and projecting those views on a town you admittedly don't even live in.

We have heard you. You think Reggie Miller is way down the list below Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird, Bobby Knight, and all you're favorite Colts players. You're very wrong. But we heard you.

Just now, GoatBeard said:

The question is....

Who is the bigger icon in INDIANA. 

And yet  you keep speaking from a national perspective and projecting those views on a town you admittedly don't even live in.

We have heard you. You think Reggie Miller is way down the list below Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird, Bobby Knight, and all you're favorite Colts players. You're very wrong. But we heard you.

You consistently manage not to get anything correct. Well done.

7 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Of course Peyton is going to get more votes on the COLTS.com forum which is always going to be biased towards their own player and sport...

Same question on the Pacers forum would probably yield the same figures, but in Miller's favor

Possibly but we never won a Championship with Miller, we did with Peyton. Having said that you are probably right. By the way Miller and Peyton both mean a lot to Indiana so it doesn't matter to me. I think by what Peyton did for us by winning that Championship is what Ohio wants from LeBron basically. Winning a Championship in a small market means everything. Even if I was on a Basketball forum I would vote Peyton and I loved what Miller did against the Knicks, etc..

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Possibly but we never won a Championship with Miller, we did with Peyton. Having said that you are probably right. By the way Miller and Peyton both mean a lot to Indiana so it doesn't matter me to me. I think by what Peyton did for us by winning that Championship is what Ohio wants from LeBron basically. Winning a Championship in a small market means everything. Even if I was on a Basketball forum I would vote Peyton and I loved what Miller did against the Knicks, etc..

We all loved that :)

11 hours ago, Corndog said:

I live in Fort Wayne and I grew up watching Reggie.  They were the big show up here too.  I remember we had a kid in class from New York and everyone was on him about the Knicks.  He went to one playoff game in Indy, and  said he went to a gas station in Anderson(the Pacers lost that night).  He had his Starks jersey and the cashier refused him service and told him to leave.  Yeah, it was pretty intense back then.  It was definitely Reggie's town and even most of the state(betting N.W. Indiana leaned more towards Jordan and the Bulls).  I was so sad when Reggie retired without a ring.  But the guy could still shoot, although his defending had declined quite a bit.    The only reason to Pacers had such a sharp decline afterwards was all of the players acting like thugs and getting into trouble.  The current team is pretty likeable and I enjoy watching them, but I would be lying if I said I didn't give up on them for a few years.  Almost entirely for the reason I mentioned. 

As far as bigger star in their city, it's really tough.   I think in Reggie's prime he was the bigger deal.  But at the same time, Peyton put football on the map in Indy and may have saved the Colts from leaving.  So during their careers, I'd give Reggie the edge, but long term has to be Manning.  Half of the RCA dome was filled with different jerseys before him, now it's a sea of blue. 

Can't disagree with any of that.  Interestingly, the Colts move to the forefront of Indy sports fans minds coincided very closely with the post-brawl struggles of the Pacers. 

Reggie was probably the most popular Pacer in the history of the franchise.  But if you're asking who is more of an icon to the city...  Without a doubt, Peyton is the winner.

Peyton was more dominant in his sport and far more revered as a celebrity/icon than Reggie ever has or will be for several reasons:

-Statistically Peyton was better at his sport in almost every comparable statistical category.

-Peyton went to two Super Bowls and won one while in Indy.  Reggie went to one NBA Final and lost.

-Peyton has many more endorsements and TV Commercials than Reggie ever had.  It is almost impossible to watch any major TV Network without seeing a Peyton Manning commercial at some point.

-Peyton has a Children's Hospital named in his honor.  Reggie has a stretch of road named after him

-Peyton was the MVP of his sport 5 times.  Reggie had never won that honor in his sport.

These are just a few reasons I came up with on the top of my head as to why Peyton is easily a much larger icon to Indy than Reggie ever was.

On 2/7/2016 at 9:11 PM, GoatBeard said:

Larry Birds greatest moments happened in Boston. I would agree with those sentiments if he played here. 

So yes Reggie is the most iconic basketball player to ever play in Indiana. He has more great moments than any other athlete we have ever had. People will talk about 8 points in 9 seconds 100 years from now. Its one of the most iconic moments from the entire history of the NBA.

Another reason I think of Reggie being more iconic is that this is a basketball state, always has been and always will be. 12 of the top 13 largest high school gymnasiums in the country are located in the small state of Indiana. Think about how crazy that is. We filled up the RCA dome to watch Damon Bailey in a high school game. The HS title games for football barely draw a crowd.

Nothing against Peyton at all. He has done a lot for the sport of football in Indiana and I firmly believe the team would be in LA without him. But I don't think he will ever have the status Reggie has here because of the sport he played. We just aren't into football the way we are basketball. 

People will talk about 8 points in 9 seconds 100 years from now. Its one of the most iconic moments from the entire history of the NBA.

Yeah but did it get him a Championship ?

Reggie on TNT was a joke as a sportscaster he sucked & Comparing HS football to the NFL is silly . 

Reggie Miller never gave us a Championship,IMO  was good never great we were a Basketball State when I got here in 81 but things started changing when we finally got something besides basketball  .

While I love my Pacers & we have had some great teams they share the spotlight with the Colts no question about it . 

It started before Peyton Manning with Jim Harbaugh  & the Cardiac Colts 1995 the season ended in Pitts burgh with a hail mary pass 1 game away from the SB .

A taste of NFL success that the Colts built upon with the 1998 draft it took several years but 18 & the offense were on a roll a decade of success .

The only reason the Colts are still in Indy is because the City & State & fans realized how much they love a winner & the Colts have been for a long time it made a new deal easy if we were'nt into football LOS would not of happened .

On 2/9/2016 at 5:26 AM, Chucklez said:

Of course Peyton is going to get more votes on the COLTS.com forum which is always going to be biased towards their own player and sport...

Same question on the Pacers forum would probably yield the same figures, but in Miller's favor

Then ask a fair question who won a Championship not who got there who won ?

9 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Reggie on TNT was a joke as a sportscaster he sucked & Comparing HS football to the NFL is silly . 

Reggie Miller never gave us a Championship,IMO  was good never great we were a Basketball State when I got here in 81 but things started changing when we finally got something besides basketball  .

While I love my Pacers & we have had some great teams they share the spotlight with the Colts no question about it . 

It started before Peyton Manning with Jim Harbaugh  & the Cardiac Colts 1995 the season ended in Pitts burgh with a hail mary pass 1 game away from the SB .

A taste of NFL success that the Colts built upon with the 1998 draft it took several years but 18 & the offense were on a roll a decade of success .

The only reason the Colts are still in Indy is because the City & State & fans realized how much they love a winner & the Colts have been for a long time it made a new deal easy if we were'nt into football LOS would not of happened .

I didnt compare HS football to the NFL. I compared HS football to HS basketball to show the difference in interest in the two sports as a whole, through a broader scope.

Other than that, I don't disagree with anything you say except when you say that Reggie wasn't great, just good. He is in the HOF for a reason. They don't put "good" players in there.

I just don't feel that because the Colts won a SB that automatically means Peyton is head and shoulders above an athlete the caliber of Reggie Miller, given all he did for the city. I think its much closer than you think. And I certainly don't blame Reggie for not winning a title with the Pacers because if Artest didn't go in the stands at the Palace, I genuinely believe he would have one. That was the best team we ever had, JMO

The only thing that prompted me to post in the first place was the utter disrespect Reggie Miller was getting. I will always feel that he is #1 in this town and I'm not alone, he got way more votes in this poll than I thought he would. 

I don't blame you for loving Peyton Manning, I do as well. But I've always felt he was extremely over rated by our fanbase, and honestly doesn't make my top 5 favorite (I don't mean best players they have ever had by that, I just mean MY favorite) Colts of all time. Thats not a knock on his ability at all, its just my personal preference and I cant stand how bloated everyones view of QB is. Its not nearly as important as most fans suggest. Its the most important position, however this constant comparing of guys and citing how many sb rings they have like they all played under the same circumstances is ridiculous. A prime example of this is Tom Brady. How many other guys couldve done the same things on those teams with Bill Belichick coaching the entire way? I feel like more than a few could've done that, Peyton included. I think Dan Marino would've ran out of fingers. It just never has quite as much to do with them specifically, as is suggested. That's why I think it is the most important, but also the most over rated position in the sport. Football is the ultimate team game, and fans tend to focus on one player when doling out the credit. That doesn't make sense to me. 

His stats are great, but he also came into the NFL at the right time and was surrounded with great players at the skill positions his entire career. Again, this doesn't mean he isn't a great, great QB. He certainly is one of the best to ever play the position and the best we've ever had. But he also laid a lot of eggs, something I don't remember Reggie doing very often. 

To each his own. If you feel Peyton is the best QB of this generation you wouldn't be out of line at all and have a strong case for that, but its definitely not a consensus. But Reggie was, IMO, the 2nd best SG of his generation only behind the most celebrated athlete in the history of sports.

You don't have to disrespect Reggie Miller to sell Peyton Manning. That's all I am really trying to say.

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

It didn't start before Manning, let's not lie to ourselves.  As late a '99 there were times at the RCA dome there was more fans rooting for the other team or with non-Colts jerseys on.  Sure the Cardiac Colts of 1995 grabbed people's attention, but it was short lived.  Of course the Colts fan base increases when they make the playoffs and even more so when they make a run, but before Manning and really before the team saw success in the early/mid 2000s, the Pacers had the stronger fanbase.  

As far as Miller never giving Indy a title, yeah, but it was despite, not in spite of him.  He just didn't have a strong enough team around him minus possible the 04/05 team that destroyed itself.  The NBA was ridiculously strong back then and even with top players, you needed a good team around that player.  Look at the Bulls, Jordan is arguably the GOAT, but he had great roleplayers and an incredible supporting cast.  Heck they made it to the Conference Semi-Finals without him in '93.  

I do agree with your last two points and as I said, what Manning did long term and his legacy is stronger than Miller's.  He put Colts football in the spotlight and possibly saved the Colts from moving. 

The NFL is more popular than the NBA.   Manning brought a team from the bottom each year to the top.  

Most fans knew that the Colts team would be crap without Manning.   

Everyone loves Reggie as they should.  He was great and had a great attitude like Manning.   Manning just did more with a bigger sport.