Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay has asked Peyton to retire as a Colt

bababooey

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

???

The quotes from that article were from an interview that was posted February 2. http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/colts-owner-jim-irsay-wants-peyton-manning-to-retire-as-a-colt

So, he did say it BEFORE the same, six days before, at least. His statement that he communicated with Peyton an hour or two after the game was talking about after the AFCCG, not after the SB. The timing of an article on Colts.com doesn't change any of that.

I don't understand why some people are so dead set on believing that Manning and Irsay have this irreconcilable beef over a plainly obvious business decision.

My bad then, I did not check the timing of the interview. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

???

The quotes from that article were from an interview that was posted February 2. http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/colts-owner-jim-irsay-wants-peyton-manning-to-retire-as-a-colt

So, he did say it BEFORE the same, six days before, at least. His statement that he communicated with Peyton an hour or two after the game was talking about after the AFCCG, not after the SB. The timing of an article on Colts.com doesn't change any of that.

I don't understand why some people are so dead set on believing that Manning and Irsay have this irreconcilable beef over a plainly obvious business decision.

I don't think it's irreconcilable at all, and I think Peyton will have quite a few ceremonies in Indy. I saw the story, which is why it shocked me their were no tweets. 

Just now, The Old Crow said:

I don't think it's irreconcilable at all, and I think Peyton will have quite a few ceremonies in Indy. I saw the story, which is why it shocked me their were no tweets. 

Contrary to popular but uninformed belief, Jim Irsay doesn't tweet everything he has to say. Just like he didn't tweet that he was rooting for Manning, and he didn't tweet that he wants Manning to retire as a Colt.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Contrary to popular but uninformed belief, Jim Irsay doesn't tweet everything he has to say. Just like he didn't tweet that he was rooting for Manning, and he didn't tweet that he wants Manning to retire as a Colt.

There were six tweets on the SB trivia contest, and one on the HOF candidates. Just seems a bit odd to me that Peyton didn't rate a tweet. 

Many sports writers are saying Peyton will become a part owner of the Tennessee Titans and Ely may join in as well. This will most likely be bad news for all Colt fans especially when the Manning work ethic becomes their norm. Recall Manning saying he would kick the Colt's butt every time he played them if they did not draft him. As owner of the Titans he just may have al little revenge up his sleeve for trading him. Could get real interesting.

6 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

There were six tweets on the SB trivia contest, and one on the HOF candidates. Just seems a bit odd to me that Peyton didn't rate a tweet. 

That's not it at all. It's your anti-Irsay deal is what it is. He already congratulated Manning and said he hoped he won. A tweet doesn't change any of that.

8 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Many sports writers are saying Peyton will become a part owner of the Tennessee Titans and Ely may join in as well. This will most likely be bad news for all Colt fans especially when the Manning work ethic becomes their norm. Recall Manning saying he would kick the Colt's butt every time he played them if they did not draft him. As owner of the Titans he just may have al little revenge up his sleeve for trading him. Could get real interesting.

Be fun for brothers to do this. I wouldn't take that as bad news.  I doubt he has revenge on his mind.  He's got too many more pleasant alternatives

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:48 AM, GoColts8818 said:

14 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I guess you need to really do a little fact finding before making comments that are not true. The Colts did not trade Manning. Getting cut and being traded are two different things.

Come home Peyton!! This will always be your home. What a weekend!! Marvin and Tony get into the hall and Peyton rightfully gets his second ring. I used to have a Marvin jersey like 13 years ago and it was stolen out of my car!!!! Wish I could get an authentic one but can't afford it right now.

I don't think Manning holds a grudge against Indy.  He knows that at the end of the day, it's a business.  

However, I don't think he holds the same feeling about Denver as he once did about Indy.  Indy embraced him and he became their favorite son.  Denver likes him but Elway is theirs.  

That said, he may or may not retire a Colt.  Hard to tell as this is a new situation.  No one has been in this position before.  

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

So what?

We don't know for sure, but don't you think that Irsay may have mixed feelings about this ? You had the head games with Peyton at LOS, and the ring speech in the locker room again after they beat Denver in the playoffs last year. It's one thing to say you hope they win after the Patriots game ,before the Super Bowl was won. However, when there is no post SB congratulations after the game was played ,it's puzzling based on the reports I hear about how well they get along. Both men are very competitive. 

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

What did we get forc trading him?  I dint remember this.

If anything Irsay did him a favor the last year.  Kept him on the active roster and paying him millions the entire year when he should have gone on IR. 

23 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

If anything Irsay did him a favor the last year.  Kept him on the active roster and paying him millions the entire year when he should have gone on IR. 

Yeah, Irsay is a good owner on that front. He did the same to Dwight Freeney too, even though lots of us could see him not being a fit, Dwight still got paid north of $15 mil. his last year, if I am correct.

15 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Nobody cares about those pesky little facts...

Could have (and in hindsight, should have) just kept Manning on the franchise tag in 2011, which was $23.1m. Instead, he paid Manning $26.4m in 2011 under the terms of the new contract, and Manning didn't take a single snap all year long.

Even once the season was clearly lost for the Colts, they didn't IR Manning. 

I don't know why people act like the Colts were disrespectful or mean to Manning. It was a tough situation that no one wanted to be in, and it didn't have the fairy tale ending that everyone wanted, but all considered, I think Irsay did alright by Manning. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, Irsay is a good owner on that front. He did the same to Dwight Freeney too, even though lots of us could see him not being a fit, Dwight still got paid north of $15 mil. his last year, if I am correct.

It was $14m, with a cap hit of $19m. Really bad football decision, IMO, but seemed obviously influenced by ownership. 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

It was $14m, with a cap hit of $19m. Really bad football decision, IMO, but seemed obviously influenced by ownership. 

Manning deserved every penny he got. He pulled this franchise out of the doldrums , was instrumental in getting the stadium built, and I will go as far to say that he was a big factor in getting Polian and Harrison in the HOF. 

Sure Irsay paid him the entire year instead of putting him on IR, as they hadn't yet worked their way to the bottom of the league to draft Luck. The last thing he wanted was for Peyton to get mad, and move to another team and have the success like he has had in Denver. Once they bottomed out and he could draft Luck, suddenly it became a master plan that has been repeated over and over, but it was merely a long term business decision influenced by a unique opportunity. There was no philanthropy here. 

Like the Colts , Elway and the Broncos will probably have to move on to Osweiller this year if Peyton doesn't retire. But I guarantee Elway won't be talking about why he made the move  ad naseum, or how the Broncos should have won two Super Bowls in four years instead of one . No, he's happy he got the one he got with Peyton, fully knowing where they came from in the Tebow days. 

9 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Manning deserved every penny he got. He pulled this franchise out of the doldrums , was instrumental in getting the stadium built, and I will go as far to say that he was a big factor in getting Polian and Harrison in the HOF. 

Sure Irsay paid him the entire year instead of putting him on IR, as they hadn't yet worked their way to the bottom of the league to draft Luck. The last thing he wanted was for Peyton to get mad, and move to another team and have the success like he has had in Denver. Once they bottomed out and he could draft Luck, suddenly it became a master plan that has been repeated over and over, but it was merely a long term business decision influenced by a unique opportunity. There was no philanthropy here. 

Like the Colts , Elway and the Broncos will probably have to move on to Osweiller this year if Peyton doesn't retire. But I guarantee Elway won't be talking about why he made the move  ad naseum, or how the Broncos should have won two Super Bowls in four years instead of one . No, he's happy he got the one he got with Peyton, fully knowing where they came from in the Tebow days. 

Awesome Post!

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Nobody cares about those pesky little facts...

Could have (and in hindsight, should have) just kept Manning on the franchise tag in 2011, which was $23.1m. Instead, he paid Manning $26.4m in 2011 under the terms of the new contract, and Manning didn't take a single snap all year long.

Even once the season was clearly lost for the Colts, they didn't IR Manning. 

I don't know why people act like the Colts were disrespectful or mean to Manning. It was a tough situation that no one wanted to be in, and it didn't have the fairy tale ending that everyone wanted, but all considered, I think Irsay did alright by Manning. 

Completely agree. To add I'm sure that Manning would have liked to stay. But he did what was best for him and the Colts. It was a mutual seperation. He wouldn't have won another SB in Indy. That team was a hot mess. 

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess you need to really do a little fact finding before making comments that are not true. The Colts did not trade Manning. Getting cut and being traded are two different things.

How enlightening your post is and typically are. You have zero idea what was said behind closed doors. Getting cut and being traded are two different things.............really?! Manning was playing for another team before he was technically let go and everyone knew exactly where he was going and what team he would play for.  

37 minutes ago, King Colt said:

How enlightening your post is and typically are. You have zero idea what was said behind closed doors. Getting cut and being traded are two different things.............really?! Manning was playing for another team before he was technically let go and everyone knew exactly where he was going and what team he would play for.  

Manning to Denver was not a slam dunk at first.  He was very nearly an Arizona Cardinal.  Can you imagine?  Manning and Fitzgerald would have set the league on fire. 

5 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Why should Elway complain. He knows all about getting his butt handed to him in multiple Super Bowls.

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

Completely agree. To add I'm sure that Manning would have liked to stay. But he did what was best for him and the Colts. It was a mutual seperation. He wouldn't have won another SB in Indy. That team was a hot mess. 

I ran out of likes today NE. Here are 5 thumbs up instead. :thmup::thmup::thmup::thmup::thmup:

On February 9, 2016 at 7:03 AM, NewEra said:

I am not so sure of that. Think of the boat load of top picks the Colts could have gotten for the rights to Luck. Add that to what he Colts had and 18 and I can see a quick SB appearance. They could still have taken a QB to develop (Bortles or Carr?). I am not sold on Andrew Luck and I think other QBs taken will pass him soon. I know that I am alone on this island. Wouldn't the Colts have score three first round picks and three second rounders for Luck? Could you get that for Luck now? I doubt it. I guess it is all about how you want to build a team. I just don't buy getting a franchise QB and surrounding with nothing. That leads to a QB getting hurt and having a short career.

15 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

I am not so sure of that. Think of the boat load of top picks the Colts could have gotten for the rights to Luck. Add that to what he Colts had and 18 and I can see a quick SB appearance. They could still have taken a QB to develop (Bortles or Carr?). I am not sold on Andrew Luck and I think other QBs taken will pass him soon. I know that I am alone on this island. Wouldn't the Colts have score three first round picks and three second rounders for Luck? Could you get that for Luck now? I doubt it. I guess it is all about how you want to build a team. I just don't buy getting a franchise QB and surrounding with nothing. That leads to a QB getting hurt and having a short career.

You're alone on every island you bring up. 

On 2/9/2016 at 6:01 AM, The Old Crow said:

Players on IR still get paid

27 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

You could literally get a team for Andrew Luck today.

I've said this before & I will say it again: I just appreciate the man Peyton Manning is off the field & it has been a privilege to watch him throw the ball down the field for 2 decades. I know Peyton got his start in INDY & helped our franchise secure our 1st ring in in 2006 after you were drafted in 1998. I don't view Peyton as a rival for leaving the Colts for the Broncos. Jim Irsay decided to go in a different direction. Here's my point: When 18 gets his yellow HOF jacket 5 years after his retirement, I will just marvel at his whole body of work as both a Colt & a Bronco. 

Yes, Peyton has a special place in the heart of Indianapolis & her fanbase & he should. I just don't view his legacy as only INDY can claim him as their favorite son & Denver can't like he was a car on a temporary lease or something. 

Congratulations Peyton Manning on a stellar NFL career & this is my own selfish ego talking here...I'm so proud of Manning being the 1st QB to win 2 SBs with 2 different teams because when you couple that with his 5 MVP awards his achievements neutralize or level the playing field on Tom Brady's 4 SB rings. Peyton is in the same conversation with Brady as the best QB of his era. Bravo Sheriff! Bravo! 

You're too classy to say that so I will sing your GOAT praises for you. 

Sidenote slightly off topic: Speaking of the HOF, I was disappointed both Edgerrin James & John Lynch didn't make the final cut next year but eventually you will be properly fitted for your jackets & receive this worthy honor celebrating your NFL careers as well. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:06 PM, Superman said:

28 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

It is easy to use hindsight in what could have been done. No one was sure if Manning was going to play again. If you are not sold on Luck that is a problem you have in your judgment of players. The Colts are one year removed from a AFC championship game but you don't seem to acknowledge that.

Best of all, if Manning retires on top, which I fully expect that he will, it doesn't matter then if Brady wins another ring because at the time Peyton was still an active franchise QB he was on a team that defeated his arch rival. 

Thereby making Manning's legacy frozen in time. Meaning pundits can't use additional rings Brady might win after 18's retirement against him when critiquing NFL goats. The media critics have to judge both QBs on their records at the time they were both active. It's perfect because naysayers can't pile on & slam a retired player who is a private citizen now. I love it. It's beautiful! 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Best of all, if Manning retires on top, which I fully expect that he will, it doesn't matter then if Brady wins another ring because at the time Peyton was still an active franchise QB he was on a team that defeated his arch rival. 

Thereby making Manning's legacy frozen in time. Meaning pundits can't use additional rings Brady might win after 18's retirement against him when critiquing NFL goats. The media critics have to judge both QBs on their records at the time they were both active. It's perfect because naysayers can't pile on & slam a retired player who is a private citizen now. I love it. It's beautiful! 

He will always be remembered as a winner now like Elway is, Elway lost 3 SB's but all most remember is he won it all going out. I think by getting that 2nd Ring, especially with 2 different Coaches erases the choke label. In a lot of his 1 and done's he and the Colts did lose to Very Good teams as well. In 2005 Pittsburgh may have been a 6 seed but after beating us they went on to win the SB.

2 hours ago, Live and let live said:

RG3 fan ?  

If 12's first 3 seasons have'nt sold you on Luck your definetely on a Island by your self hugging Wilson ..

I just don't buy getting a franchise QB and surrounding with nothing. That leads to a QB getting hurt and having a short career.

Really , Or a long career with only 2 SB appearances with 1 win you mean like the Peyton years .

3 first & 3 second for Luck ? Who offered that ?  

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

RG3 fan ?  

If 12's first 3 seasons have'nt sold you on Luck your definetely on a Island by your self hugging Wilson ..

Really , Or a long career with only 2 SB appearances with 1 win you mean like the Peyton years .

3 first & 3 second for Luck ? Who offered that ?  

I was basing that on what the Rams got for giving up the rights to RGIII. I assume Luck would have brought even more.