Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay has asked Peyton to retire as a Colt

bababooey

44 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay was just responding to questions ask by the media. You have no way of knowing that Irsay hasn't sent his best wishes. I have read reports where they call each other on a pretty regular bases. You, me or anyone else don't know what they talk about nor should we. It's like you are pointing a finger at Irsay because the media is asking questions and he gave them his thoughts. This is media week and all the players, owners and team members are ask questions designed to draw attention that has nothing to do with the game. All these questions you are asking about Peyton is just a tip of the ice burg on the distraction side. All these questions goes with the territory.

Here is my question. I went straight to the article's source, the Anthony Calhoun interview:

http://wishtv.com/2016/02/02/poll-should-manning-retire-as-colt-or-bronco/

When your team is not in the SB (or not even in the playoffs), and you are not part of the SB festivities, what was the purpose of the timing of Anthony Calhoun's interview right before the SB (not before the draft, not after Pagano and Grigson were retained, not a few days after Peyton went to the SB etc. but exactly the week leading to the SB)? The questions were straight off about Peyton Manning, it is not like there were a series of questions about the Colts prior to Peyton. It almost smells politician like. "Peyton, you went to the media to Kravitz when you were rehabbing from injury to state your opinions, guess what, I can do the same too, take that, you politician" kind of feel to me. AC is just another media puppet used here, IMO.

I am sorry, I share the same paranoia that Old Crow has about Jim Irsay, the timing of all his actions to throw Peyton off because he knows it will bother him, when things come from Irsay and this pattern is recurring. Deep down, I firmly believe he does not want Peyton to win another SB like so many other fans here for whatever reasons but for reasons only he knows and he won't come out and say it publicly, he is not stupid. Irsay is fine being wrong with so many things as long as he is making money but he wants to be right about the Peyton decision, I am certain lot more folks share that sentiment too. I am not naive enough to believe otherwise. 

Irsay is mighty smart, very much in tune with what is going on, mentioning how we lost 3 years in a row to the eventual SB winner then noting the AFC was strong then. That is why the Peyton-Brady winner in the playoffs won the SB those years. It changed in 2013, because the NFC is the stronger conference now. Very astute observation from Irsay, who unlike other owners, is very much in touch with the football landscape, IMO. I am a big fan of him retaining Grigson and Pagano and giving it a second go with them together but on this Peyton front, I don't think things have changed with Irsay one bit.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BleedingBlue said:

Irsay's judgement is - once again - impaired.

How in the world can you say Irsay's judgement is impaired just because he wants Peyton to retire a Colt??  :::smh:::  The logic around here just floors me sometimes  ROFL.  So I suppose the rest of us who want Peyton to retire a Colt have impaired judgement too??  I'll wait  LOL

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here is my question. I went straight to the article's source, the Anthony Calhoun interview:

When your team is not in the SB (or not even in the playoffs), and you are not part of the SB festivities, what was the purpose of the timing of Anthony Calhoun's interview right before the SB (not before the draft, not after Pagano and Grigson were retained, not a few days after Peyton went to the SB etc. but exactly the week leading to the SB)? The questions were straight off about Peyton Manning, it is not like there were a series of questions about the Colts prior to Peyton. It almost smells politician like. "Peyton, you went to the media to Kravitz when you were rehabbing from injury to state your opinions, guess what, I can do the same too, take that, you politician" kind of feel to me. AC is just another media puppet used here, IMO.

I am sorry, I share the same paranoia that Old Crow has about Jim Irsay, the timing of all his actions to throw Peyton off because he knows it will bother him, when things come from Irsay and this pattern is recurring. Deep down, I firmly believe he does not want Peyton to win another SB like so many other fans here for whatever reasons but for reasons only he knows and he won't come out and say it publicly, he is not stupid. Irsay is fine being wrong with so many things as long as he is making money but he wants to be right about the Peyton decision, I am certain lot more folks share that sentiment too. I am not naive enough to believe otherwise. 

Irsay is mighty smart, very much in tune with what is going on, mentioning how we lost 3 years in a row to the eventual SB winner then noting the AFC was strong then. That is why the Peyton-Brady winner in the playoffs won the SB those years. It changed in 2013, because the NFC is the stronger conference now. Very astute observation from Irsay, who unlike other owners, is very much in touch with the football landscape, IMO. I am a big fan of him retaining Grigson and Pagano and giving it a second go with them together but on this Peyton front, I don't think things have changed with Irsay one bit.

spot on and well written. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay was just responding to questions ask by the media. You have no way of knowing that Irsay hasn't sent his best wishes. I have read reports where they call each other on a pretty regular bases. You, me or anyone else don't know what they talk about nor should we. It's like you are pointing a finger at Irsay because the media is asking questions and he gave them his thoughts. This is media week and all the players, owners and team members are ask questions designed to draw attention that has nothing to do with the game. All these questions you are asking about Peyton is just a tip of the ice burg on the distraction side. All these questions goes with the territory.

If I remember , I believe Irsay tweeted Peyton good wishes in the first Denver Super Bowl. Certainly , as he was interviewed, an opportunity was at hand to wish him well on this Super Bowl publicly. We know he's no shrinking violet on Twitter. 

If he brought up retiring as a Colt, why not say publicly that you would hope he went out as a SB Champion. I just find the omission intriguing as to where their relationship may stand. As you said, only those two know for sure. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Well said. As no one knows for sure , this is speculation , or one possible scenario. That being said, there seems to be a pattern of Super Bowl comments, a ring ceremony, or opening the roof to let cold air in , to distract Manning when the Colts play Denver. One thing is for sure, it worked , but who knows how Peyton viewed it ? The fact that Irsay puts a high premium on Denver games is obvious. 

That is why the lack of SB endorsement , plus bringing up a retirement deal with the Colts during Manning's preparation for the Panthers , is interesting in its timing. 

If I was Irsay, I have to admit I may have mixed feelings about the SB and Manning.  For four years he explained the reasons he let Manning go and went in another direction ,was for more rings. It has to be tough when the guy you let go, has led a rival to 2 SB appearances in 4 years.

As Manning is probably at the end of the line, the Luck scenario is obviously the smart , long term move, but you have to wonder if Irsay wants Manning to go out a SB winner as a Bronco.  When Manning was released with his injuries, I don't think many  of us would have believed he would lead Denver to these heights. It also has to hurt that he's been able to beat Brady twice in the AFCCG. i think these emotions and thoughts would run through anyone of else if we were owner. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

That is why the lack of SB endorsement , plus bringing up a retirement deal with the Colts during Manning's preparation for the Panthers , is interesting in its timing. 

I think he was also thinking ahead in terms of PR and public perception by stating he wants Peyton to retire as a Colt. So if Peyton retires, the burden is on Peyton, front and center because Irsay already spoke ahead of time. He is an old shrewd, he didn't get here just by inheritance, he is one heck of a businessman (and politician when he wants to be as well). That is why I don't think Indy got the SB just because of the new stadium (though I am not denying it did not help), Irsay was a HUGE part in it because he is in the good books of many owners and knows how to get it done at the high levels.  :)

I am glad he is our owner but I will call it like I see it on this issue.

11 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think he was also thinking ahead in terms of PR and public perception by stating he wants Peyton to retire as a Colt. So if Peyton retires, the burden is on Peyton, front and center because Irsay already spoke ahead of time. He is an old shrewd, he didn't get here just by inheritance, he is one heck of a businessman (and politician when he wants to be as well). That is why I don't think Indy got the SB just because of the new stadium (though I am not denying it did not help), Irsay was a HUGE part in it because he is in the good books of many owners and knows how to get it done at the high levels.  :)

I am glad he is our owner but I will call it like I see it on this issue.

I also think a part of it is his concern of Peyton's legacy in Indy versus Denver, if they win the SB. It is only natural he wants him primarily remembered as a Colt, and not a Bronco. As he spent most of his career in Indy, my belief is there should be no doubt his most productive body of work is with the Colts. 

That being said , Elway has a long trail of mischief and troublemaking going all the way back to his draft shenanigans with the Baltimore Colts. It would be in his wheelhouse to try to screw the Colts by getting him to retire in Denver. 

19 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I also think a part of it is his concern of Peyton's legacy in Indy versus Denver, if they win the SB. It is only natural he wants him primarily remembered as a Colt, and not a Bronco. As he spent most of his career in Indy, my belief is there should be no doubt his most productive body of work is with the Colts. 

That being said , Elway has a long trail of mischief and troublemaking going all the way back to his draft shenanigans with the Baltimore Colts. It would be in his wheelhouse to try to screw the Colts by getting him to retire in Denver. 

Yeah, I don't trust Elway one bit like you said. But then, he knows where he is welcome and will stick to the land where he is welcome and knows the equity he has in Denver would allow him more room for error and less room for blame.

Peyton answered this question in his introductory press conference with the Broncos. The very last question he was asked by a reporter was (going by memory) are you looking to retire as a Denver bronco and he answered yes. I'm sure it is somewhere on YouTube. I remember being shocked at how quickly and confidently he answered the question as I watched it live. I don't think it really matters in terms of his legacy because he will be remembered as both. I'm not sure of his feelings towards Jim Irsay or the Colts, particularly Grigson who didn't even talk to him, but I think he will always love the fans. He will show up for any award because he's much too classy not to. 

13 minutes ago, ManningFANin FL said:

Peyton answered this question in his introductory press conference with the Broncos. The very last question he was asked by a reporter was (going by memory) are you looking to retire as a Denver bronco and he answered yes. I'm sure it is somewhere on YouTube. I remember being shocked at how quickly and confidently he answered the question as I watched it live. I don't think it really matters in terms of his legacy because he will be remembered as both. I'm not sure of his feelings towards Jim Irsay or the Colts, particularly Grigson who didn't even talk to him, but I think he will always love the fans. He will show up for any award because he's much too classy not to. 

I can also recall his press conference in Indy when it was announced he was being cut. He said he would always be a Colt. We can all speculate or have an opinion but that doesn't make any one better or more truer than the other.

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I don't trust Elway one bit like you said. But then, he knows where he is welcome and will stick to the land where he is welcome and knows the equity he has in Denver would allow him more room for error and less room for blame.

It didn't help that I was watching the ESPN 30 for 30 special , from Elway to Marino, when I was writing the last comments. It was sickening what he did to the Colts back then , and the arrogance his father and himself displayed. I will never have respect for Elway. 

21 minutes ago, ManningFANin FL said:

I remember this too.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can also recall his press conference in Indy when it was announced he was being cut. He said he would always be a Colt. We can all speculate or have an opinion but that doesn't make any one better or more truer than the other.

I also remember this, as well.    The difference being,   at this time he wasn't even sure if he'd ever play again or if another team would even give him a chance. :dunno:

1 minute ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I remember this too.

I also remember this, as well.    The difference being,   at this time he wasn't even sure if he'd ever play again or if another team would even give him a chance. :dunno:

Somehow I think Peyton will take the high road in all of this. He more than likely will go into the HOF just as a player and not really pick one team over the other.

22 minutes ago, ManningFANin FL said:

I'm almost positive that he will be in the Indy and Denver Ring of Honors, and will be happy to be honored by both organizations. Now ,whether he will sign a one day contract to retire as a Colt, is another thing. 

We don't know obviously, but some of the things Irsay did and said, could be perceived as slights. Maybe from Peyton's point of view, where were you when I was at my lowest point with neck surgeries , and I needed the Colts organization ? I would think Peyton would understand it's a business decision, but there are always illogical emotions involved . Then you have the persistent comments about lack of rings, the roof , and bringing up the Manning- Luck deal before Bronco games. Maybe he thinks Denver gave him a deal at his lowest point in his career and he's thankful ?

One thing is for sure , he's not thinking about any of this right now, and is totally focused on the Panthers. 

57 minutes ago, ManningFANin FL said:

I took that to mean finish his career with the Broncos, as in he didn't want to go play for a third team.  As I said in another thread I wouldn't be shocked if just sends out a statement announcing he's retiring as to not offend anyone and avoid the spotlight.  

I agree with you in the end rather he retires as a Colt or not doesn't really matter because he's going to be honored time and time again for everything he did with the Colts.

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Somehow I think Peyton will take the high road in all of this. He more than likely will go into the HOF just as a player and not really pick one team over the other.

In the NFL Hall of Fame you do just go in as player and then they list all the teams you played for.  It's not like the baseball Hall of Fame.

On 5/2/2016 at 5:11 PM, jim scheurich said:

obviously up to peyton. he's got to feel a little resentment toward irsay for not resigning him, but he also has a lot of ties to indy. if he does or doesn't congrats to peyton. p.s. go broncos!

When Manning was released he couldn't even throw a football.  Why would he resent being released?  Besides, there was no team left at that point.

On 2/6/2016 at 11:20 AM, The Old Crow said:

I'm almost positive that he will be in the Indy and Denver Ring of Honors, and will be happy to be honored by both organizations. Now ,whether he will sign a one day contract to retire as a Colt, is another thing. 

We don't know obviously, but some of the things Irsay did and said, could be perceived as slights. Maybe from Peyton's point of view, where were you when I was at my lowest point with neck surgeries , and I needed the Colts organization ? I would think Peyton would understand it's a business decision, but there are always illogical emotions involved . Then you have the persistent comments about lack of rings, the roof , and bringing up the Manning- Luck deal before Bronco games. Maybe he thinks Denver gave him a deal at his lowest point in his career and he's thankful ?

One thing is for sure , he's not thinking about any of this right now, and is totally focused on the Panthers. 

Jim Irsay signed Peyton to a new contract, knowing he was hurt, and then he paid Manning over $20 million to stand on the sidelines once the severity became clear and Peyton's season was done. 

2 hours ago, grmasterb said:

Jim Irsay signed Peyton to a new contract, knowing he was hurt, and then he paid Manning over $20 million to stand on the sidelines once the severity became clear and Peyton's season was done. 

I am assuming most would do that as I don't believe Luck was going to be available yet as the Colts had to work down to the top pick of the draft. That's like saying the Ravens paid Joe Flacco even though he was severely injured. 

You know what rather he retires a Colt or not doesn't matter.  We all have the memories of him here and we know he will be back to be honored.  

Right now I am enjoying seeing him get his second Championship and if this is the last time he plays the game, and I think it will be, no one has deserved a walk off Super Bowl win more than him.

5 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Yeah, he's definitely not retiring as a Colt now that he won a Super Bowl with the Broncos.

Definitely not if Irsay keeps dissing his time as a Colt, unhappy with the 1 SB ring he got. Irsay should just go watch Veggie Tales' Madame Blueberry and sing "a thankful heart is a happy heart". :)

It will be like Favre. Once the dust settles, Irsay and Peyton will patch things up, time will be the best healer and Peyton will come back to retire as a Colt. That is how it is going to go down but it will take time.

On 2/5/2016 at 0:28 PM, peytonmanning18 said:

I absolutely would have done the same thing but Irsay definitely said that Peyton wasn't good enough to play for the Colts anymore by releasing him.  

No, Irsay had no choice. He owed a guaranteed 130 plus million to Peyton, who no doctor would verify could play again. Peyton could barely even raise his arm at that time. Irsay needed the cap money to rebuild the team; especially the Defense. To keep Peyton, there would be no line to protect him, and no Defense at all-  for a number of years, even if Peyton had retired. I love Peyton, but it had to be done.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Definitely not if Irsay keeps dissing his time as a Colt, unhappy with the 1 SB ring he got. Irsay should just go watch Veggie Tales' Madame Blueberry and sing "a thankful heart is a happy heart". :)

It will be like Favre. Once the dust settles, Irsay and Peyton will patch things up, time will be the best healer and Peyton will come back to retire as a Colt. That is how it is going to go down but it will take time.

Whatever you say...

But, Favre didn't spend 4 seasons with a team while going to two Super Bowls and winning one; the circumstances aren't the same. Time will tell, though.

7 hours ago, jimmy g said:

No, Irsay had no choice. He owed a guaranteed 130 plus million to Peyton, who no doctor would verify could play again. Peyton could barely even raise his arm at that time. Irsay needed the cap money to rebuild the team; especially the Defense. To keep Peyton, there would be no line to protect him, and no Defense at all-  for a number of years, even if Peyton had retired. I love Peyton, but it had to be done.

I think everyone, including Peyton, understood the business issues of owning 130 million, with the medical issues , and the ability to draft Luck. You almost have to take the long term view. 

Where I differ are the constant comments about the one Super Bowl ring . Bob Kravitz tweeted it right, Denver built the monster, and the Colts are still working on it. Well Peyton got his second ring, but some of what happened to Peyton in Indy, mediocre defenses , have surfaced again to affect Luck, as well as a terrible O line that got him hurt. 

Polian and Manning are gone, one to the HOF, one to a SB win with a rival team. This second ring deal doesn't fit anymore, because if you put the right team around him, Peyton was capable of getting you multiple Championships . 

Also, if it was sincerely a win/ win, and it's all chummy, where are the congratulatory tweets ? 

^^^Old Crow has it absolutely right.  One thing Irsay should not do is question his decision to move on from Manning to Luck...anyone with half a brain and a financial gun to their head would do the same thing.  But what should keep Irsay up at night is how badly he and his front office mismanaged the Manning era in Indianapolis and how they're already going down the same path with Luck.

I cringe when I hear Irsay boast with pride that he's gonna make Luck the highest paid player in NFL history, just like he always used to say with Manning.  There's a huge disconnect in that statement...the idea is to get the best player for the least amount of money.  If he overpays Luck like he did with Manning, it's gonna be the same old story here in Indy. 

If you look at the amount of time spent on a team,  hev is a Colt.  But after last night you have to consider that it dings the colts a little.  He had his most prolific year and greatest year a qb has ever had, with the broncos. He was also,  as far as winning games and SB appearances go, he was most successful with the broncos.  Going to two superbowls in 4 years.  That's a 50% rate.  Now with the cap situation it most likely couldn't continue (say, if manning was young still). But it still says alot for what Denver helped him accomplish. 

I would love him to retire a Colt.  But it just doesn't feel the same to me now. 

15 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

If you look at the amount of time spent on a team,  hev is a Colt.  But after last night you have to consider that it dings the colts a little.  He had his most prolific year and greatest year a qb has ever had, with the broncos. He was also,  as far as winning games and SB appearances go, he was most successful with the broncos.  Going to two superbowls in 4 years.  That's a 50% rate.

I would love him to retire a Colt.  But it just doesn't feel the same to me now. 

Exactly why I was rooting for the Broncos to loose. 

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Exactly why I was rooting for the Broncos to loose. 

I'm more glad to see him win one,  than I would be to see him retire a Colt.  To me those one day contracts and retirements are just for show.  Once he left,  it became a mostly meaningless event for me.  

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

I agree, it will probably take a few years, but I think it happens.  

9 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Also, if it was sincerely a win/ win, and it's all chummy, where are the congratulatory tweets ? 

Soooo petty...

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/2/7/10931050/jim-irsay-colts-rooting-for-peyton-manning-in-super-bowl-50-broncos-panthers

"I can't say I'm a Bronco fan, but I can say I'm a Peyton fan," Irsay said this week when talking with RTV6's Dave Furst. "And so I think all of us here in Indianapolis, and I communicated with Peyton literally an hour or two after the game and just told him how ecstatic everyone here was and how much they're rooting for him and how happy we are for him."

But if there's no tweet from Irsay after the game, then he didn't really mean it, right? Hogwash.

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

Soooo petty...

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/2/7/10931050/jim-irsay-colts-rooting-for-peyton-manning-in-super-bowl-50-broncos-panthers

But if there's no tweet from Irsay after the game, then he didn't really mean it, right? Hogwash.

It is like doing damage control and covering bases. Irsay should have told everyone he is behind Peyton BEFORE the game, that is the only way I would have believed him.

In his words, I communicated with Peyton literally an hour or two after the game. Yeah, I understand Peyton is busy and getting ready for the SB, so if he tried communicating the last couple of days, it would be next to impossible. But when you had your interview chance with Anthony Calhoun BEFORE the game, there was your chance to wish him well before the SB. There was a reason you went public with that interview. Why not say it then but wait till after the SB?

It is probably because Irsay feels Peyton taking the high road often and Irsay constantly displaying his displeasure over one SB ring might make him lose the PR battle as a disgruntled owner. I am sorry I am not buying it. 

Why was this article where Irsay is quoted as rooting for Peyton published AFTER the SB win on colts.com? Other than the SB win part, it could have easily been published earlier if the Colts organization chose to do so, IMO, to show Irsay's support for Peyton.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

It is like doing damage control. Irsay should have told everyone he is behind Peyton BEFORE the game, that is the only way I would have believed him.

In his words, I communicated with Peyton literally an hour or two after the game. Yeah, I understand Peyton is busy and getting ready for the SB, so if he tried communicating the last couple of days, it would be next to impossible. But when you had your interview chance with Anthony Calhoun BEFORE the game, there was your chance to wish him well before the SB. There was a reason you went public with that interview. Why not say it then but wait till after the SB?

It is probably because Irsay feels Peyton taking the high road often and Irsay constantly displaying his displeasure over one SB ring might make him lose the PR battle as a disgruntled owner. I am sorry I am not buying it. 

Why was this article where Irsay is quoted as rooting for Peyton published AFTER the SB win on colts.com? Other than the SB win part, it could have easily been published earlier if the Colts organization chose to do so, IMO.

???

The quotes from that article were from an interview that was posted February 2. http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/colts-owner-jim-irsay-wants-peyton-manning-to-retire-as-a-colt

So, he did say it BEFORE the same, six days before, at least. His statement that he communicated with Peyton an hour or two after the game was talking about after the AFCCG, not after the SB. The timing of an article on Colts.com doesn't change any of that.

I don't understand why some people are so dead set on believing that Manning and Irsay have this irreconcilable beef over a plainly obvious business decision.