Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay has asked Peyton to retire as a Colt

bababooey

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how much bearing it has on what Peyton will do, but he has said in the past he will always be a Colt. It really shouldn't be anything someone should make an issue over one way or another. If a Bronco or Colt fan gets butt hurt over whatever happens it really is trivial and has no bearing on anything that important.

5 minutes ago, peytonmanning18 said:

This whole concept is pretty dumb.  I doubt Peyton does it though.  Why would he?  Irsay told him he wasn't good enough to play for the Colts anymore.  If I was Peyton, I wouldn't.  

Not true at all... If Andrew wasnt available to take with the #1 pick and we didnt feel we had to draft our next QB for the next decade plus, then of course we wouldve kept manning into the twilight of his career.

If you were Irsay you wouldve done the same.. it's the trade off of losing one of the best QB's ever for the last few years of his career vs drafting your next franchise QB who will be with you for more than the next 10.....

16 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Not true at all... If Andrew wasnt available to take with the #1 pick and we didnt feel we had to draft our next QB for the next decade plus, then of course we wouldve kept manning into the twilight of his career.

If you were Irsay you wouldve done the same.. it's the trade off of losing one of the best QB's ever for the last few years of his career vs drafting your next franchise QB who will be with you for more than the next 10.....

In addition to the fact he had a broken neck....

24 minutes ago, peytonmanning18 said:

This whole concept is pretty dumb.  I doubt Peyton does it though.  Why would he?  Irsay told him he wasn't good enough to play for the Colts anymore.  If I was Peyton, I wouldn't.  

You're not the sharpest tool in the shed are you? 

I'm not sure how Manning feels about it, but here are some facts. Irsay released him in a move he felt he had to make with Luck. I understand the move, but who knows how Peyton feels about it. 

Almost every year, Irsay brings up the Manning- Luck situation , putting his spin on it, while Peyton remains quiet. Probably a good idea just to be quiet about it, as it was a unique situation with Luck, and everyone understands why you made the long term move. 

Irsay keeps harping on the one Super Bowl during the Manning/ Polian era, and how the new regime and his vision will bring more with Luck. That may all come true, but why not just cherish the past, and be happy for the Super Bowl you got. Fans from all NFL cities also pine for lost Championships we think we should have. 

I'm sure Manning didn't want that celebration Irsay planned for him in Indy, when the Broncos came into town the first time. It was a great gesture, and I know the fans loved it, but we all know Peyton, and he doesn't like distractions going into a game. Then you have the head games of opening and closing the roof . Look , I get it, you want to get the edge on the Broncos, but who knows how Peyton interpreted that. I wouldn't be giving him a celebration until his playing career was over, similar to Green Bay with Brent Favre. 

Thus far, there has been no good wishes from Irsay on Twitter, at least none that I've seen, hoping that Peyton wins the Super Bowl. If they are as friendly as indicated, that is something you would expect to see as Irsay has always cited the Luck- Manning deal as win/win, and wished Peyton well. 

Now in this article, when he is in full preparation for the Panthers, you have distracting comments about retiring as a Colt, that are again ill timed. 

Knowing Peyton, he will shrug all of this off as the great professional he is. But if you want him to retire as a Colt, why keep bringing these things up, because the timing isn't right. 

Its almost like you dumped your old girlfriend , for a new, younger girl. But the old girlfriend has gone to 2 Super Bowls and won 2 AFC Championships in four years. It may have been the better long term move, but it would give anyone of us , mixed feelings, because  that is the nature of these things when most players don't finish their careers with one team. 

My thinking is Manning will go into the Ring of Honor in both Indianapolis and Denver. Since the HOF doesn't have the player pick a team , it's not an issue like MLB. 

25 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I'm not sure how Manning feels about it, but here are some facts. Irsay released him in a move he felt he had to make with Luck. I understand the move, but who knows how Peyton feels about it. 

Almost every year, Irsay brings up the Manning- Luck situation , putting his spin on it, while Peyton remains quiet. Probably a good idea just to be quiet about it, as it was a unique situation with Luck, and everyone understands why you made the long term move. 

Irsay keeps harping on the one Super Bowl during the Manning/ Polian era, and how the new regime and his vision will bring more with Luck. That may all come true, but why not just cherish the past, and be happy for the Super Bowl you got. Fans from all NFL cities also pine for lost Championships we think we should have. 

I'm sure Manning didn't want that celebration Irsay planned for him in Indy, when the Broncos came into town the first time. It was a great gesture, and I know the fans loved it, but we all know Peyton, and he doesn't like distractions going into a game. Then you have the head games of opening and closing the roof . Look , I get it, you want to get the edge on the Broncos, but who knows how Peyton interpreted that. I wouldn't be giving him a celebration until his playing career was over, similar to Green Bay with Brent Favre. 

Thus far, there has been no good wishes from Irsay on Twitter, at least none that I've seen, hoping that Peyton wins the Super Bowl. If they are as friendly as indicated, that is something you would expect to see as Irsay has always cited the Luck- Manning deal as win/win, and wished Peyton well. 

Now in this article, when he is in full preparation for the Panthers, you have distracting comments about retiring as a Colt, that are again ill timed. 

Knowing Peyton, he will shrug all of this off as the great professional he is. But if you want him to retire as a Colt, why keep bringing these things up, because the timing isn't right. 

Its almost like you dumped your old girlfriend , for a new, younger girl. But the old girlfriend has gone to 2 Super Bowls and won 2 AFC Championships in four years. It may have been the better long term move, but it would give anyone of us , mixed feelings, because  that is the nature of these things when most players don't finish their careers with one team. 

My thinking is Manning will go into the Ring of Honor in both Indianapolis and Denver. Since the HOF doesn't have the player pick a team , it's not an issue like MLB. 

I didn't know speaking what you would like is putting a spin on anything. You are still tying to get your digs in on the Irsay name I see. I kind of thought you were out of that being Jim is not Robert.

2 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

I guess you can tell the difference in not knowing if Manning was going to play into he is not good enough. Nice fairy tale.

39 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I think it's safe to say Irsay wants him to win, sorry he didn't put it on twitter for you to see. If anything the HGH accusation is more distracting than Irsay being interviewed by someone in Indianapolis and asked about Peyton to which he answered truthfully.

40 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

Very well said Old Crow  :thmup:

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I didn't know speaking what you would like is putting a spin on anything. You are still tying to get your digs in on the Irsay name I see. I kind of thought you were out of that being Jim is not Robert.

I really don't see Old Crow getting his digs in what he posted was exactly what happened. I am still a Colts fan but lets be real a say it like it happened the first return game those things happened and now with  Irsay talking about Peyton retiring a Colt is just the same distraction.  Whatever happens when Peyton retires will be his choice and his alone.  JMO  :popcorn:

4 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I absolutely would have done the same thing but Irsay definitely said that Peyton wasn't good enough to play for the Colts anymore by releasing him.  

3 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

This is the best post in this thread.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am just talking about the Irsay/ Manning dynamic. I'm just laying out the facts as they happened. Instead of spin, how about some of that is Jim's interpretation of how the Manning- Luck deal went down, versus not knowing how Peyton currently feels about his era in Indianapolis. I'm sure right now, he is just focused on Carolina. 

If he does, great! If he doesn't, great!

I can totally understand both sides to this argument. Speculation is just that... speculation. Only one person on this rock knows how Peyton feels about the whole situation. And it probably should just stay that way. 

1 hour ago, peytonmanning18 said:

Sharper than 99% of my fellow Colts fans.  I don't think there is a dumber fanbase than the Colts.  

I'm sorry? It's hard for me to base intelligence without some sort of analysis from assessment. Perhaps you are smarter than all of us, or maybe half of us? 

I don't think any fan base is less intelligent than another. We all have good eggs and bad. 

5 hours ago, Susie Q said:

I really don't see Old Crow getting his digs in what he posted was exactly what happened. I am still a Colts fan but lets be real a say it like it happened the first return game those things happened and now with  Irsay talking about Peyton retiring a Colt is just the same distraction.  Whatever happens when Peyton retires will be his choice and his alone.  JMO  :popcorn:

Yes, that is what he said but he added his dig in about Irsay spinning his story every year. There is and nothing to spin from year to year. When you spin from year to year the story changes. Irsay has been straight up about why he did cut about Peyton. :blah:

1 hour ago, The Old Crow said:

I am just talking about the Irsay/ Manning dynamic. I'm just laying out the facts as they happened. Instead of spin, how about some of that is Jim's interpretation of how the Manning- Luck deal went down, versus not knowing how Peyton currently feels about his era in Indianapolis. I'm sure right now, he is just focused on Carolina. 

None of us know the dynamics of Irsay/Manning. To assume that you know is just that, assume, not fact. They were a little more that owner/player as far as the way they spoke of each other. If you don't think either was truthful in their comments I guess that is the way you feel. We can all have an opinion but till something more concrete is said or done that is all it is. I took your comment "spin every year" as a reference to Irsay spinning something different and that hasn't happened. Maybe you subconsciously phrase things? haha:dunno:

8 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Not only that Chucklez....At the time Manning was released, no medical authority could predict how successful Manning would have been after his 4 neck surgeries moving forward as an elite NFL QB anymore. Also, let's not forget that Jimmy paid Peyton's full salary in 2011 when 18 was on IR so no one can claim that Irsay  was unreasonable to his franchise QB that year or that he tried to reduce his salary in any way as a final tribute to him & what Manning meant to this team, this city, & this fan base either. 

I wasn't mad at Jimmy at all based on the uncertainty of Peyton's recovery at the time. Owners need to put a winning product on the field & if you can acquire a field general like Luck, an owner would be stupid not to pull the trigger since the NFL is a business. I love Manning but Jimmy made the right call based on the unforeseen circumstances. 

14 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

I would love for #18 to retire a Colt.

I don't know what the chances are that it could actually happen, but it stands to reason that the outcome of the SB will have some impact on the decision.

Why would you say that? If the Broncos win the SB on Sunday Peyton will have won 2 SBs with 2 different teams, why would a victory automatically mean that #18 wants to be remembered more as a Denver superstar than an INDY one? By the same token, if Carolina wins on Sunday, why would he deem it necessary to run back to the Hoosier State where he won a Lombardi Trophy as a Colt? The last I checked HOF credits celebrate an athlete's career from start to finish regardless of their zip code. 

I don't see it as rejecting 1 fan base while embracing another just appreciating brilliance on the field in 2 different cities that we were all privileged to watch for 2 decades in duration. JMO. 

When you breakup with a girlfriend & end of marrying another 1, does that mean you detest your old flame forever? No, your time together had an impact on your life but you both went in another direction. Grudges are pointless in life & eventually it all gets smoothed over in the end 1 way or another. 

7 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

This really isn't about what Jimmy continues to say about Manning & his decision to let him go to me. Just the relationship & affection Peyton & his fans have toward one another. So what if Jimmy mentions his belief that Manning has struggled to win more than 1 SB during his tenure in INDY? 

Your entry was well written TOC & your points do have merit, but I am not a slave to the past. Jimmy will be Jimmy. Let it go. It's all ancient history to me now. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

None of us know the dynamics of Irsay/Manning. To assume that you know is just that, assume, not fact. They were a little more that owner/player as far as the way they spoke of each other. If you don't think either was truthful in their comments I guess that is the way you feel. We can all have an opinion but till something more concrete is said or done that is all it is. I took your comment "spin every year" as a reference to Irsay spinning something different and that hasn't happened. Maybe you subconsciously phrase things? haha:dunno:

How is it not his side of the story, when he brings it up every Denver game ? We know how Jim feels , but does Manning view it as a win/win ? Did he want to leave Indy ? We know Favre didn't take it well when they forced him out for Rodgers. Does Manning like the constant one Super Bowl references ? Does Manning want the distraction of being honored as a Colt before a game, or being queried about retiring as a Colt when he doesn't want to deal with it before the Super Bowl ? 

No, we don't know what Peyton feels, maybe it doesn't bother him at all, or maybe it does. If they are more than owner/ player, where are the good wishes for the Super Bowl ? I think Peyton would have appreciated it more , than a question about signing a one day contract and retiring. 

I'm on record as saying I understand why Irsay went the course with Luck. It was the smart , long term move. 

Knowing Peyton , he will always take the high road, but it would be interesting to know his thoughts on all of this. 

38 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

This really isn't about what Jimmy continues to say about Manning & his decision to let him go to me. Just the relationship & affection Peyton & his fans have toward one another. So what if Jimmy mentions his belief that Manning has struggled to win more than 1 SB during his tenure in INDY? 

Your entry was well written TOC & your points do have merit, but I am not a slave to the past. Jimmy will be Jimmy. Let it go. It's all ancient history to me now. 

SW, I hear you, but you know Peyton is a proud guy. Remember when Vanderjedt criticized him, and he called him a drunken kicker. Don't you think Manning believes they should have won more Super Bowls ? It was what it was, and although Jim has his right to an opinion, if he wants the guy to retire as a Colt, probably better to let things play out. I think Peyton will probably retire , but who knows, he may end up as a Ram. 

I will say this, even though I'm not a current Colts fan, I'm a fan of Peyton. I think Luck is a great guy also. As far as Jim goes, he's not his dad, and the facts show he is a very good owner. I think it's just interesting how Peyton will view things after retirement. Will he be a rival part owner in Tennessee ? Who knows. 

29 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

SW, I hear you, but you know Peyton is a proud guy. Remember when Vanderjedt criticized him, and he called him a drunken kicker. Don't you think Manning believes they should have won more Super Bowls ? It was what it was, and although Jim has his right to an opinion, if he wants the guy to retire as a Colt, probably better to let things play out. I think Peyton will probably retire , but who knows, he may end up as a Ram. 

I will say this, even though I'm not a current Colts fan, I'm a fan of Peyton. I think Luck is a great guy also. As far as Jim goes, he's not his dad, and the facts show he is a very good owner. I think it's just interesting how Peyton will view things after retirement. Will he be a rival part owner in Tennessee ? Who knows. 

Yeah, your absolutely right my man. Peyton is a proud guy & he probably is angry on some level that Jimmy didn't strongly urge GM Bill Polian to concentrate more resources on the defensive side of the ball in subsequent drafts though like you say he would never say that publicly. He's too classy to do that as you already know. 

I do feel sorry for Manning in one sense. Sometimes, I feel like Jimmy didn't demand a better presence on D to take pressure off Peyton. Fast forward to Luck's lacerated kidney & I think Jimmy realized that this organization can't squander another HOF QBs talent meaning it must be shielded from any unnecessary harm which accounts for better o-line protection & a desire for a competent pass rush which we now see carried the 2016 Broncos all the way to this year's SB. Jimmy learned the mistakes he made with Peyton asking him to do too much & be our team savior & as a result, Jimmy is more committed to protecting his high priced asset with better running back coaching & a stout defense which gives Andrew & the offense additional times to touch the ball & a shorter field in which to generate points. 

Yes, Jimmy has his own orthodox style & in his heart of hearts, he's knows what 18 has meant to his franchises profitability, prestige, & popularity overall. 

I suppose on some level Peyton is upset that Irsay keeps mentioning opening the roof at LOS whenever INDY played the Broncos ever since he left which is petty & childish. Ideally, Peyton wants Jimmy to remember that Colts Football was never deemed elite until he arrived on the scene at the RCA Dome & Peyton's not wrong about that fact either.  

14 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, your absolutely right my man. Peyton is a proud guy & he probably is angry on some level that Jimmy didn't strongly urge GM Bill Polian to concentrate more resources on the defensive side of the ball in subsequent drafts though like you say he would never say that publicly. He's too classy to do that as you already know. 

I do feel sorry for Manning in one sense. Sometimes, I feel like Jimmy didn't demand a better presence on D to take pressure off Peyton. Fast forward to Luck's lacerated kidney & I think Jimmy realized that this organization can't squander another HOF QBs talent meaning it must be shielded from any unnecessary harm which accounts for better o-line protection & a desire for a competent pass rush which we now see carried the 2016 Broncos all the way to this year's SB. Jimmy learned the mistakes he made with Peyton asking him to do too much & be our team savior & as a result, Jimmy is more committed to protecting his high priced asset with better running back coaching & a stout defense which gives Andrew & the offense additional times to touch the ball & a shorter field in which to generate points. 

Yes, Jimmy has his own orthodox style & in his heart of hearts, he's knows what 18 has meant to his franchises profitability, prestige, & popularity overall. 

I suppose on some level Peyton is upset that Irsay keeps mentioning opening the roof at LOS whenever INDY played the Broncos ever since he left which is petty & childish. Ideally, Peyton wants Jimmy to remember that Colts Football was never deemed elite until he arrived on the scene at the RCA Dome & Peyton's not wrong about that fact either.  

I think its perfectly fine to look back and draw some lessons where things could have been done better. I understand Jim trying to change things so that Luck has the optimal chance to succeed. 

If I was Irsay , my one time comments would have been , both Bill and Peyton were Intregal to the great success we had, and we are very proud of the Super Bowl we won. When he retires, he will be welcomed back as a Colt, and in our ROH. 

We are going move forward with Andrew, and try to assemble better teams around him than we did Peyton . 

None of us know if Peyton is upset , or not, but if you put yourself in Peyton's shoes , how do you take the comments ? 

Peyton loves Indy, and it's fans, and would surely come back for ceremonies. The question is, how is he taking some of these things, that may or may not be perceived as slights. That is the dynamic we are talking about here. It just seems these comments from Irsay seem to crop up before the Colts play Denver, or before a Denver SB game. Very interesting. 

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

How is it not his side of the story, when he brings it up every Denver game ? We know how Jim feels , but does Manning view it as a win/win ? Did he want to leave Indy ? We know Favre didn't take it well when they forced him out for Rodgers. Does Manning like the constant one Super Bowl references ? Does Manning want the distraction of being honored as a Colt before a game, or being queried about retiring as a Colt when he doesn't want to deal with it before the Super Bowl ? 

No, we don't know what Peyton feels, maybe it doesn't bother him at all, or maybe it does. If they are more than owner/ player, where are the good wishes for the Super Bowl ? I think Peyton would have appreciated it more , than a question about signing a one day contract and retiring. 

I'm on record as saying I understand why Irsay went the course with Luck. It was the smart , long term move. 

Knowing Peyton , he will always take the high road, but it would be interesting to know his thoughts on all of this. 

Irsay was just responding to questions ask by the media. You have no way of knowing that Irsay hasn't sent his best wishes. I have read reports where they call each other on a pretty regular bases. You, me or anyone else don't know what they talk about nor should we. It's like you are pointing a finger at Irsay because the media is asking questions and he gave them his thoughts. This is media week and all the players, owners and team members are ask questions designed to draw attention that has nothing to do with the game. All these questions you are asking about Peyton is just a tip of the ice burg on the distraction side. All these questions goes with the territory.