Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So at 18 if there aren't any of the pass rushers, LB's etc. basically all of our needs do you reach defense or hope to take ezekiel elliott but he would become a stud in indy despite waiting a season

16 minutes ago, 12isthenew18 said:

So at 18 if there aren't any of the pass rushers, LB's etc. basically all of our needs do you reach defense or hope to take ezekiel elliott but he would become a stud in indy despite waiting a season

We'd have to have a really sexy free agency for me to be ok with it. We need to draft a bunch of defensive players.

if all options have been exhausted, ie trade down attemtps, no good Olineman, D lineman, LBs on the board, and he's the highest rated person on the draft board. Then yes, go for it.

6 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

if all options have been exhausted, ie trade down attemtps, no good Olineman, D lineman, LBs on the board, and he's the highest rated person on the draft board. Then yes, go for it.

that would be one occasion where I'd be ok with taking the second BPA

7 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I would be mad if we picked a RB in the 1st right now.

f0b7609cb1bb382f12d43e048562dd94544005d1

If we fill at least one starter on OL in free agency then I would take him without hesitation.  The draft is deep in our other defensive positions of need.  Drafting at 18 should give us another defensive starter not to mention probably a starter in free agency.  He is very highly rated by the draft experts.  Top10 regardless of position. A must if he is there.  I wouldn't be surprised if they traded up to get him.  They traded a 1 for Trent to get the big back to compliment Andrew and we have the same GM and coach who made the trade.  I would not be surprised at all if he is our pick.

Edge was a first round pick and he is going into the HOF.  Elliot has been compared to Edge by some experts. A complete three down back.  I know it's popular to downplay the position but you really have to consider it when a talent like this could come to us.  Gore is a stopgap.  Elliot could be our day one starter.

Unless it's Leonard Fournette, no RB should be worth a first rounder anymore.

Don't want him in the 1st.

The scenario that is put forth in the OP doesn't seem remotely possible in my view. I can't see any scenario in which Elliot is the player that helps this team the most at 18. JMO, obviously.

If all of the good pass rushers are gone, Smith isn't there, and there aren't any big time defensive lineman, then I wouldn't be upset at taking Elliot.

But I wouldn't take him over Buckner, Floyd, Lawson, Ogbah, or Billings. But I'd take him over any of the OT's being mocked to us. And Spence is a risk in the first round. Plus Lawson, Buckner, and Ogbah will probably be gone by 18 so that leaves Floyd and Billings. I wouldn't take Elliot over any of them.

IMO he'll be very similar to another Adrian Peterson, good for 1200-1600 yards a year.

He's only 20, so has plenty of years left.

On 2/4/2016 at 0:41 PM, Colts_Fan12 said:

I never see a way to justify taking a RB in the 1st ever no matter who it is so hell no 

I mean I was fine with drafting Edge in the first and because of his talent with Peyton our offense was amazing.  If you can find a true impactful RB like Gurley in the first it is ok to help your offense.  That's just my opinion though.  Not saying Zeke is the next Gurley or Edge but he has potential and I would be ok with a 1st round RB if they are solid.

Take a moment to look at the teams playing in the Super Bowl this weekend, and even the teams that played in the conference championship games. None of them have an "elite" running back, they were successful due to their strong defenses and efficient offenses. Even the Broncos, who rely heavily on a traditional running game, don't have a top tier running back; their offense is successful because they have a QB that gets them into the right play, a solid o-line, and running backs that take what's there. It just seems like there isn't the need for anything more than a good running back to be a successful team anymore.

On top of that, we have much bigger needs at positions that have more of an impact on the game than running back. OLB, CB, C, G, and ILB, in that order, are all positions that I would say are bigger needs for us than RB, and if there's a highly regarded defensive lineman or safety available, I would rather take one of those before taking a running back in the first.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I mean I was fine with drafting Edge in the first and because of his talent with Peyton our offense was amazing.  If you can find a true impactful RB like Gurley in the first it is ok to help your offense.  That's just my opinion though.  Not saying Zeke is the next Gurley or Edge but he has potential and I would be ok with a 1st round RB if they are solid.

Yet, after losing Edge the colts won the super bowl the very next year behind the running of Addai and a journeyman RB. 

8 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

Take a moment to look at the teams playing in the Super Bowl this weekend, and even the teams that played in the conference championship games. None of them have an "elite" running back, they were successful due to their strong defenses and efficient offenses. Even the Broncos, who rely heavily on a traditional running game, don't have a top tier running back; their offense is successful because they have a QB that gets them into the right play, a solid o-line, and running backs that take what's there. It just seems like there isn't the need for anything more than a good running back to be a successful team anymore.

On top of that, we have much bigger needs at positions that have more of an impact on the game than running back. OLB, CB, C, G, and ILB, in that order, are all positions that I would say are bigger needs for us than RB, and if there's a highly regarded defensive lineman or safety available, I would rather take one of those before taking a running back in the first.

You have a great screen name, for what it's worth.

20 hours ago, BOTT said:

Yet, after losing Edge the colts won the super bowl the very next year behind the running of Addai and a journeyman RB. 

Not saying that I want Zeke, but Addai was also a first round pick. He was taken 30th overall and Edge was 4th overall. So IMO Zeke is well worth the spot at 18, he is a very talented player that probably shouldn't even fall to us. I wouldn't be very upset if we got him, but I too would rather draft defensive talent especially in the first.

59 minutes ago, Slick12 said:

Not saying that I want Zeke, but Addai was also a first round pick. He was taken 30th overall and Edge was 4th overall. So IMO Zeke is well worth the spot at 18, he is a very talented player that probably shouldn't even fall to us. I wouldn't be very upset if we got him, but I too would rather draft defensive talent especially in the first.

I'm well aware the Addai was a first round pick......and he wasn't worth it.