Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denver (+6) at Carolina (2-7-16)

oldunclemark

6:30 EST  (3:30 local time in Santa Clara)....Low 70s and sunny (mid-60s after dark)

Jim Nance and Phil Simms...CBS......over-under 45

The 50th Super Bowl  matches the top seeds in each conference..teams that have not met in 4 years

Carolina QB Cam Newton (296 of 496, 3,837 yards, 35 Tds, 10 INTs) was 19 of 28 for 335 yards against Arizona in the NFC title win 49-15 over Arizona.

Cam led the NFL in rushing for QBs with 636 yards on 132 carries..and he ran 10 times for 47 yards and 2 TDs vs. Arizona..

TE Greg Olsen (7 catches, 1,104 yards) caught 6 for 113 against Arizona

WR Ted Ginn (44 catches, 739 yards) has 10 career kick return TDs..

Carolina has 24 pass interceptions and 41 QB sacks..East Chicago's Kawaan Short has 11 sacks

LB Thomas Davis will try to play with a broken arm (2 weeks ago)

Denver's Peyton Manning was 17 of 32 from 176 yards and 2 TDs in the 20-18 upset of New England in the AFC title game.

WR Demariyus Thomas (105 catches, 1,304 yards) has been a low-rider in the playoffs...just 2 catches last week..

but he did have 13 catches in the Super Bowl 2 years ago..

LB Von Miller has 11 of Denver's 52 QB sacks, No,1 in the NFL

I still expect Emmanuel Sanders (76 catches, 1,135 yards) to run back punts some time in the post-season...

NUMBERS: Denver threw 606 passes in the regular season. Carolina threw 502..

Carolina has the No.1 scoring offense in the NFL, 31.3 points a game....and they scored 80 points in 2 playoff games..

Denver has allowed 281 yards per game, the No. 1 lowest total in the NFL

The over-under is too low.....this game goes over easily..

Carolina can run the ball on the small Denver front if they are patient and Peyton can throw on the Carolina secondary, which is nothing special.

In perfect weather and light winds, I like Denver to cover 6...

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking Carolina. Panthers offense is overrated. This is not the league's no.1 defense taking on the league's no.1 offense. Carolina's just as much of a defensive team. It's going to come down to the trenches. Panthers offensive line has stepped up big time this season. Albeit they haven't faced this Broncos pass rush; Panthers line should be able to hold up better than the Broncos. Panthers 21 Broncos 10.

4 minutes ago, Solon said:

Taking Carolina. Panthers offense is overrated. This is not the league's no.1 defense taking on the league's no.1 offense. Carolina's just as much of a defensive team. It's going to come down to the trenches. Panthers offensive line has stepped up big time this season. Albeit they haven't faced this Broncos pass rush; Panthers line should be able to hold up better than the Broncos. Panthers 21 Broncos 10.

Carolina is not strong in the secondary..Courtland Finegan is their nickel back..he wasn't even on the team 2 months ago..

Peanut Tillman is out for the year..Carolina OTs are as suspect as Denver's

Carolina played 10 games against the AFC South and their own weak division

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Carolina is not strong in the secondary..Courtland Finegan is their nickel back..he wasn't even on the team 2 months ago..

Peanut Tillman is out for the year..Carolina OTs are as suspect as Denver's

Carolina played 10 games against the AFC South and their own weak division

Thin in the secondary, but Thomas and Sanders haven't been world beaters this season. Josh Norman will take 1 completely out of the game. Their LB's can cover Owen Daniels and Vernon Davis. If Sanders or Thomas can have a huge game with safety help over the top, then Denver deserves the W.

They played against weaker competition during the regular season, but dominated the reigning two time NFC Champions Seahawks and Cardinals. So I don't know about the weaker competition argument.

Thomas and Sanders have 1,000 yards....

Denver's problem is the O-line....they have vets but journeymen...Evan Mathias hasn't been good..needs to have a big game.....2 weeks off helps....but the line has to be better than they've been..

...Can Thomas Davis tackle anybody with a broken arm..I guess we find out

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Thomas and Sanders have 1,000 yards....

Denver's problem is the O-line....they have vets but journeymen...Evan Mathias hasn't been good..needs to have a big game.....2 weeks off helps....but the line has to be better than they've been..

...Can Thomas Davis tackle anybody with a broken arm..I guess we find out

They both have over 1,000 yards, but that's not my point. They haven't been unstoppable. Demaryius and Emmanuel still struggle when you put a hand on them. Broncos offensive line will struggle unless that running game gets going. Panthers aren't the Patriots defensively. They should be able to completely corral that running game up.

Thomas Davis will be fine. Ray Lewis played well with the same cast locked around his arm. Still managed to make an impact. 

I am going Denver 24-20. I think this game has a lot of great plays made by the WR's and Defensive backs by both teams. I also think Denver will be able to establish a run game in the 2nd Half because of Peyton's play action ability keeping them honest. Peyton will probably even have a TD pass because of play action. Most people are picking Carolina because of 2 reasons, Cams ability to run = making something out of nothing and most think Peyton will have a couple of big of Turnovers. I think Peyton could maybe Turn it over once or so but Denver's Defense to me can contain Cam.

1 hour ago, Solon said:

They both have over 1,000 yards, but that's not my point. They haven't been unstoppable. Demaryius and Emmanuel still struggle when you put a hand on them. Broncos offensive line will struggle unless that running game gets going. Panthers aren't the Patriots defensively. They should be able to completely corral that running game up.

Thomas Davis will be fine. Ray Lewis played well with the same cast locked around his arm. Still managed to make an impact. 

Nobody's unstoppable.....you cant look at 1,000-yard season and downgrade them..

//all WRs struggle when you hold them....I dont know how tough the schedule Carolina has played

Thomas Davis has to tackle with a broken arm...Denver will test that very early.

....conditions and signs point to a high scoring game

21 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Nobody's unstoppable.....you cant look at 1,000-yard season and downgrade them..

//all WRs struggle when you hold them....I dont know how tough the schedule Carolina has played

Thomas Davis has to tackle with a broken arm...Denver will test that very early.

....conditions and signs point to a high scoring game

How's it going to be a high scoring game? Neither defense will allow over 21 points. Peyton didn't give me any confidence going forward that he could engage in a shootout.

You want the Broncos to win because of Peyton huh? My heart is with Peyton, but my head is with Carolina.

1 hour ago, Solon said:

Panthers aren't the Patriots defensively. They should be able to completely corral that running game up.

If Panthers corral the Broncos running game with their front 7 while still keeping 2 safeties high, they'll likely win.  Broncos must run well enough to pull one of those safeties down into the box. That will open up the passing game a little for Peyton to decipher the best match up and exploit it.  This and turnovers are the two things I'm looking out for.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If Panthers corral the Broncos running game with their front 7 while still keeping 2 safeties high, they'll likely win.  Broncos must run well enough to pull one of those safeties down into the box. That will open up the passing game a little for Peyton to decipher the best match up and exploit it.  This and turnovers are the two things I'm looking out for.

You know what's funny? The two teams with the best front 7's are in the SB.

8 minutes ago, Solon said:

How's it going to be a high scoring game? Neither defense will allow over 21 points. Peyton didn't give me any confidence going forward that he could engage in a shootout.

You want the Broncos to win because of Peyton huh? My heart is with Peyton, but my head is with Carolina.

I sort of agree. I think both teams score around 20-24 points, not anymore than that though. I have Denver 24-20 which is a typical type Denver game.

13 minutes ago, Solon said:

Its going to be a high scoring game because Carolina is weak in the secondary and The Panthers can run on the smaller Denver front...cam has a tendency to fumble...so do Denver;s backs

Doesnt matter who wins here.......Denver will cover 6

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I sort of agree. I think both teams score around 20-24 points, not anymore than that though. I have Denver 24-20 which is a typical type Denver game.

Conditions are perfect..Carolina has scored 80 in 2 games...

......Peyton has done well after the bye.....and there are places to throw in the Panther secondary..

..the over js a very good bet

the spread...on average..is actually closer to 5.5 (Wed night) and the over-under is still 45..

...Jared Allen's playing with a broken foot..

Thomas Davis with a broken arm.....both Denver safeties are being nursed through practice.

.70 degrees and a dry fast track?  .the game screams 'over'

I'm going Denver by 7. True that I am going with my heart )want to see him go out with a win) but there are some other reasons:

Carolina's soft schedule

Carolina's first time on SB

Denver's D getting overlooked

Peyton getting healthier

Denver's special teams

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Its going to be a high scoring game because Carolina is weak in the secondary and The Panthers can run on the smaller Denver front...cam has a tendency to fumble...so do Denver;s backs

Doesnt matter who wins here.......Denver will cover 6

Where are you getting the panthers have a weak secondary?    They have been an above average group all year

As Friday approaches I have seen all I need to see throughout the week. See who is playing, who isn't. The body language of both QB's and other players, etc.. So I am ready to make my final predictions. Cam seems a bit over confident comparing himself to LeBron but that is who he is. My final predictions:

I predicted 24-20 Denver earlier in the Thread but will change that to 23-20. I know a minor change but it's my final one. I think both Offenses move the ball well at times but have to settle for FG's for the most part. Cam will definitely lead Carolina to a couple of TD's to add to the FG's Carolina gets and I think Denver gets a Defensive TD in the game to get them to 23. Peyton will have 1 TD pass for the other TD.

*23-20 Denver wins

*Peyton 245 Yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

*Cam 260 Yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 43 yards rushing, he will have 2 or 3 good runs

*I am going to say Talib wins MVP because I think he will have a pick 6 sometime in the 2nd Half and Denver's Defense will hold Carolina to 20 Points because they will bend a lot (Carolina will get a lot of Yards) but wont break for the most part. Picking Talib as MVP is bold but what the hell, I am trying to be a little different from the normal thinking. Peyton's numbers as I predict they could be, wont win him MVP. Still a good game by him but not a great one. I think Cam puts up better numbers as shown above. If I am wrong oh well, I can go back and look at these predictions and say I was way off. Having said that I am 9-1 so far with my picks these Playoffs and boldly said Denver would beat the Pats!

Should be a great game. I like these 2 teams so it's watchable at least. Last season the 2 teams that were in it, I felt like just getting me a case of beer and finding a pond somewhere to fish out in the country ignoring it all. That was probably the first SB I didn't even want to watch since I have been watching when I was young kid back in 1978.

12 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Where are you getting the panthers have a weak secondary?    They have been an above average group all year

11 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

His biased brain; that's where he is getting that.

Its not that they have  a weak secondary, their LB's are stellar & Luke has developed coverage instincts

BUT

he may be alluding to that their starting CBs like Tillman are now out and 2 have come in near seasons end that were out of football for maybe a year, not sure on exactly how long  , one is Cortland Finnegan and someone else

Thats all i can contribute on that

and busy today with Docs so all enjoy the game, lets hope it's hype is proved correct

Personally I want Peyton To win & ride off in the sunshine, know others feel differently & that's their right , if remember right T u fall in the latter category

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Should be a great game. I like these 2 teams so it's watchable at least. Last season the 2 teams that were in it, I felt like just getting me a case of beer and finding a pond somewhere to fish out in the country ignoring it all. That was probably the first SB I didn't even want to watch since I have been watching when I was young kid back in 1978.

I agree, I was hoping both teams would lose last year. This year, I hope the Broncos win but wouldn't be mad if Carolina won, seeing as the haven't won a SB yet.

:)

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 8:07 PM, jvan1973 said:

Other than Norman they are average at best....Courtland Finegan is the 5th back. he's a street player.

They gave up almst 200 (198 to be exact) passing 1st downs in 16 games...and 3,750 yards passing

..for a team that dominated time of possession, (0ver 32 minutes a game) that's a lot

Atlanta threw on them..Seattle threw on them

Other than Norman, they don't cover well. You'll see

I think Belichik made an error 2 weeks ago when the Patriots won the toss and took the ball.

I think you want to be on defense first in a championship game ..because everybody's nervous and its easier to play 'nervous' on defense..

..and to get the ball staring the third quarter is gold

35 Panthers 17 Broncos

If the Panthers go out ahead in the first half Denver will struggle to get even and go ahead we all know that. The question all week is should Denver's D go for the QB like they have done al year and the answer is yes. Don't try something new, go with what brought you there. I'm pulling for Denver but I do like the Panthers head coach.

Denver's receivers can win this game if they catch the ball and don't rule out the Carolina D out playing the Broncos D.

On 2/6/2016 at 8:22 AM, oldunclemark said:

I think Belichik made an error 2 weeks ago when the Patriots won the toss and took the ball.

I think you want to be on defense first in a championship game ..because everybody's nervous and its easier to play 'nervous' on defense..

Yeah let Carolina hike it over their QB's head this time lol...

I'll roll with Denver. I have no idea what kind of game we'll see. I just know that the Broncos defense can create a lot of opportunities disrupting Cam Newton in his first Super Bowl. If this happens and turnovers end up being the key, Peyton will cash in BIG time. This is his 4th SB, and it's going to take a lot to throw him off his game. That may happen or not. 

Turnovers decide this game. And, I give the Broncos that edge.

The Panthers are kind of beat up and I like the Denver D to get a consistent pass rush on Newton all game. I think the Broncos secondary will be able to bully the Panthers WR's. I like Denver with the points. Has anyone ever used Bovada? And if so, how long does it take to upload the money onto their site.

41 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

I'll roll with Denver. I have no idea what kind of game we'll see. I just know that the Broncos defense can create a lot of opportunities disrupting Cam Newton in his first Super Bowl. If this happens and turnovers end up being the key, Peyton will cash in BIG time. This is his 4th SB, and it's going to take a lot to throw him off his game. That may happen or not. 

Turnovers decide this game. And, I give the Broncos that edge.

I think the Broncos will move the ball and score. What worries me is that I dont think they can stop Carolina running the ball out of the double tight end set with Cam.

I think there will be multiple turnovers on both sides,

Just now, oldunclemark said:

I think the Broncos will move the ball and score. What worries me is that I dont think they can stop Carolina running the ball out of the double tight end set with Cam.

I think there will be multiple turnovers on both sides,

Might prove to be true, OUM. If Denver compensates for the double TE set (which I also think will happen) with Miller covering the middle against the run along with the D line they can slow down the Panthers rush. But, that leaves Cam open to the possibility of run also. I'm pretty sure they've gone over & over their game plan as not to leave any thing out. 

But, I'm with you. I really think this game is decided by TOs. Denver has that edge IMO. 

That's it CR....you can stop the double TE...but you probably saw them talk about it on TV..

....they pull a guard.....run the back in the hole and then Cam comes behind him....

Denver is not big up front and they could be pushed around.

One thing I am hearing is that this will be a pro-Denver crowd. That will help the Broncos front 7 get off the ball