Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts On This Scenerio / Discuss

Meltdown

I was thinking lately, which the wife says is very dangerous but here is the scenerio.

I know eveyone is very high on Luck and rightfully so, but what if Peyton comes back 100% healthy ready to go?

I say we take Blackmon or Richardson number one, they both are beasts and can easily help this team. We can still get our quarterback of the future in the second round. I am very high on what seems to be two forgotten QB's, Kellen Moore (Boise State) and Weeden (Oklahoma state) even though the latter is 28 years old, I think they both are great NFL prospects.

If Peyton does not come back you not just have your future quarterback but a potential pro bowl receiver/running back as well.

What are your thoughts? Please discuss.

How about this scenerio, instead of taking someone besides Luck at #1, trade the pick to someone desparate for a QB and really be able to restock. For example, trade with Miami:

Miami gets #1 overall pick

Indy gets #8 (or 9) plus their second round pick plus next years first round pick plus OT Jake Long

Colts would have 3 picks in the first 40 or 41 picks and a great young LT to shore up the OL. Plus 2 first rounders next year.

The key, if the Colts are willing to trade the Luck pick, is going to be being patient. The closer to the draft, the more teams are going to offer if they really want Luck.

I don't know any of the cap rules except you better not exceed the cap itself but wouldn't trading down the Luck pick result in a couple of first and second rounders that would hit the cap more than just on first and one second rounder? Thus, trading down when you already have some cap issues might not be the best solution from a cap standpoint. Or is it complete nonsense what I write here? :hello:

I don't know any of the cap rules except you better not exceed the cap itself but wouldn't trading down the Luck pick result in a couple of first and second rounders that would hit the cap more than just on first and one second rounder? Thus, trading down when you already have some cap issues might not be the best solution from a cap standpoint. Or is it complete nonsense what I write here? :hello:

its different now with the new CBA in place. the draftees get less money now, so they are more affordable.

I was thinking lately, which the wife says is very dangerous but here is the scenerio.

I know eveyone is very high on Luck and rightfully so, but what if Peyton comes back 100% healthy ready to go?

I say we take Blackmon or Richardson number one, they both are beasts and can easily help this team. We can still get our quarterback of the future in the second round. I am very high on what seems to be two forgotten QB's, Kellen Moore (Boise State) and Weeden (Oklahoma state) even though the latter is 28 years old, I think they both are great NFL prospects.

If Peyton does not come back you not just have your future quarterback but a potential pro bowl receiver/running back as well.

If we're not drafting Luck 1st overall we BEST be auctioning that top pick to the highest bidder and still get a Justin Blackmon, RG3, or Morris Claiborne in the 1st and then someone like Lamar Miller in the 2nd.

i like the idea of picking up pieces to help manning but you do not pass on a chance to get another future HOF QB like Luck will be. Irsay already said he will not miss a chance to get both Luck and Manning on the same team

Of course you dont pass on that chance. Curious though, how is it that the number one pick is a chance to get a future HOF QB and a later pick is not? I am not saying Luck wont be, but the idea that he is a near sure thing and everyone else is clearly more inferior is developing into a disturbing pattern.

Of course you dont pass on that chance. Curious though, how is it that the number one pick is a chance to get a future HOF QB and a later pick is not? I am not saying Luck wont be, but the idea that he is a near sure thing and everyone else is clearly more inferior is developing into a disturbing pattern.

Its really no more disturbing than the people saying Luck will be a bust before he plays a single down in the NFL.

Its really no more disturbing than the people saying Luck will be a bust before he plays a single down in the NFL.

I for one am not saying he will or will not be a bust before taking a snap in the NFL but I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket either. That's jmo of course but that is the way I truely feel. If Peyton is healthy and able to play I wouldn't release him for anyone again that's my opinion and the way I feel. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I don't begrudge them for their opinion. I honestly can see the Colts having them both on their roster next year unless Luck doesn't want to come to Indy with Peyton still playing and then that problem will be handled as best it can be I guess. Time will tell I'm sure.

Everything in today's nfl points to the franchise qb and if you have that chance to GET one you do not pass!!! Even the teams with big strong defenses and stout running games wonder if their guy can make that play when the game is on the line not once or twice but on a CONSITENT basis. Our fortunes turned around with Peyton being one of the elites. We draft atop every round and can address some big needs talent wise. IF Peyton can come back physically as well as MENTALLY without worrying about the neck or taking a big hit I consider that a plus but that is a BIG if. So if Luck or RGIII is your man you draft him and surround him with talent. Love the new GM and we are a coaching staff away from heading to the right direction. I just hope Irsay continues to go after more rising stars and hire maybe the Packers or Saints oc for head coach and a stud dc. Please don't SETTLE and stick with the same ol same ol because Caldwell is a GOOD person. We need a difference maker under the headset also. GO COLTS!!!! We shall RISE again... :lombardi:

It does have good value but it is less than 1/5 the value of the number 1 overall pick

Undoubtedly.

But still it holds great value, and these trades are often made on the fly as the draft is burning through the first round. If a team wants our pick, we can make a 2 for 1 situation. Considering our vast needs and all this talk of rebuilding, a bonus pick would seem to be sensible.

Finally someone said it, there are no gaurantees he will be anything just because he is a #1 pick. There are no gaurantees with any of these players.

How does anyone know that Luck is the real deal and Kellen Moore, RG3, or Weeden will not be? Personally out of all the quarterbacks this year, I liked Matt Barkley the best but he chose to stay in school.

Due to the format of the draft, with Round 1 being on Thursday and round 2 being on Friday, pick 33 is far more attractive due to the delay between rounds 1 & 2, but that's the Rams benefit to worry about.

The 34th pick will have some value, but it won't be a windfall by any means, and our only hope would be someone really falling in love with a player and their thought that someone would take them at 35.

I love Peyton Manning. Always will. He's done so much for this franchise. But, he's 36, didn't play a down in 2011, is a huge hit against the cap and even if healthy, only has 2-3 years left. Then what? His unfortunate injury can be turned into something positive for years to come. Can't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just can't. Need Luck.

I think we can all agree (almost all) that both sides #1 pick\trade down have good points. Looking at the big picture, making Manning healthy, there has not been such high value for the #1 pick in several recent years. Looking at the colts roster right now, look who will/could be gone due to retirement, free agency, cuts, etc. within the next three years. Guys like Saturday, Brackett, Wayne, Garcon, Freeney, Mathis, Clark to name just a few. Trading down to 3 or 4 stock up on draft picks, make a few other trades, and get this thing turned around. Since 1998 9 qb's have been #1 picks only the Manning bro's have either won or been to a superbowl. The MOST important thing is this: No matter what we do or who we take this year, the players we draft need to pan out! Plan and simple.

No. No. No. No. And finally No.

You simply don't take Blackmon at #1. That would be profound foolishness. If he is the guy they want, and by the way he won't be, you trade the pick and move back to spot where you can still get him.

No offense, but maybe you should listen to your wife? Blackmon is overrated, he's no bigger than Reggie. Trent is special, but no RB is worthy of #1 anymore. I wish Moore well, but I'm not sure he's pro material (yea, I know - Brees).

Luck is going to be the pick, let's all get over it.

If we take Balckmon and Peyton s not 100%....where would we be...?

Since we dont (and wont) know for certain about Peyton's condition...

We should try our Luck...and not press our luck

If we take Balckmon and Peyton s not 100%....where would we be...?

Since we dont (and wont) know for certain about Peyton's condition...

We should try our Luck...and not press our luck

Man, you are all over the map. Weren't you suggesting the Colts take RG3 with a trade down in part because of his willingness to sit behind Manning?

Man, you are all over the map. Weren't you suggesting the Colts take RG3 with a trade down in part because of his willingness to sit behind Manning?

'J' come on man...

Its like you only read half of what I say. :rulez:

I said RG3 is something we should CONSIDER......the trade is something we should CONSIDER....for extra choices..

Its something I would definetly do...(trade with Cleveland and take him 4th) ..if Luck wont come here

But what SHOULD we do....knowing what we know right now....If Luck and Irsay work something out.....Take Luck.

We have not seem Manning play since last January..to be safe..take Luck

I know that's what you want, right?

Be cool :cool:

'J' come on man...

Its like you only read half of what I say. :rulez:

I said RG3 is something we should CONSIDER......the trade is something we should CONSIDER....for extra choices..

Its something I would definetly do...(trade with Cleveland and take him 4th) ..if Luck wont come here

But what SHOULD we do....knowing what we know right now....If Luck and Irsay work something out.....Take Luck.

We have not seem Manning play since last January..to be safe..take Luck

I know that's what you want, right?

Be cool :cool:

You call me J like we are boys or something.

We are not.

I can think of a few names I'd like to call him...... clown being one of them.

Have I ever interacted with you on here? Forgive me if I don't recall.

If not, congrats. It means you must have not said something really off the wall.

And a word to the wise, I was suspended for 24 hours last week for having the audacity to call someone narrow-minded. The fact that I was spot on with my assessment was secondary to those terribly harsh words. Given that, I would think calling someone a clown may cause you the face the wrath of the mods.

Look as far as Luck is concerned I tHink that he is still gonna need some devlopment, with that said I think the team should go in the route of bulding a team that if you put any qb in there they can win. Also I think that the defense all needs to be beefed up some. I am just say that could take some of the pressure off the waeker parts of the team

Finally someone said it, there are no gaurantees he will be anything just because he is a #1 pick. There are no gaurantees with any of these players.

How does anyone know that Luck is the real deal and Kellen Moore, RG3, or Weeden will not be? Personally out of all the quarterbacks this year, I liked Matt Barkley the best but he chose to stay in school.

Here's the thing just because there is no gaurantee he'll be great is not a reason to not take him because there is no gaurantee any player you draft is going to be great. They all have a risk, with Luck though that risk appears to be smaller which is why so many think he'll go first overall in the draft.

No offense, but maybe you should listen to your wife? Blackmon is overrated, he's no bigger than Reggie. Trent is special, but no RB is worthy of #1 anymore. I wish Moore well, but I'm not sure he's pro material (yea, I know - Brees).

Luck is going to be the pick, let's all get over it.

well look at this way even if we pass on luck there may be the next brady or for that matter we could end up with jamarcus russuel

i like the idea of picking up pieces to help manning but you do not pass on a chance to get another future HOF QB like Luck will be. Irsay already said he will not miss a chance to get both Luck and Manning on the same team

ok here is the thing on that comment how do you know that luck is a future hof you dont he turn out to be the biggest bust in the hisorty of the nfl

well look at this way even if we pass on luck there may be the next brady or for that matter we could end up with jamarcus russuel

Not sure what your point is, but we're drafting Luck so we all need to get behind it.

Look at it this way (assuming Peyton is healthy) - our preseason games may actually be painless to watch for a change! ... on second thought...