Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do most of you want to see Peyton get another ring?

Tsarquise

That ring is for the Broncos and John Elway (the smug guy who snubbed the Colts) not the Colts. His legacy as a Colt is over. He doesn't need another ring to be considered as one of the goat.

It makes the Colts look bad if, in only four years, Manning accomplishes with the Broncos (2 SB appearances and and 1 win), what took him 14 years to accomplish with the Colts. 

Broncos fans don't even appreciate Manning and didn't have to sit through all of his growing pains. I remember seeing people wanting Osweiler start for the season on their message board. 

Although he will be rembered as both, I want his best times remembered as a member of the Indianapolis Colts; the place where his NFL career was born and raised! 

I know my opinion is unpopular, but I would like to know, as Colts fans, why exactly do you want him to win the Super Bowl as a member of the Broncos? 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

Osweiler out played Manning in several games, and put up much prettier stats than Manning's ugly numbers. If I was a Broncos fan, there is no way in hell I would want an old washed up former great starting in the SB, when they were a turnover machine when he started. 

I find it absolutely hilarious how this forum often highlights other quarterbacks when they're struggling, but when Manning gets out there and plays awful, it's everyone else's fault. Andrew Luck was vehemently bashed most of the season and called "overrated" when he had bad games, but when Manning throws 3 or 4 INT's, it's not his fault. 

Uhhh. What?  I think most everyone here knows manning played poorly and can't really be blamed on anyone else. 

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

I find it absolutely hilarious how this forum often highlights other quarterbacks when they're struggling, but when Manning gets out there and plays awful, it's everyone else's fault. Andrew Luck was vehemently bashed most of the season and called "overrated" when he had bad games, but when Manning throws 3 or 4 INT's, it's not his fault. 

i find it absolutely hilarious when people such as yourself paint with such a broad brush

Why would it make the Colts look bad? Seriously? The Denver Broncos have some really great players and a hell of a defense. I don't think Peyton would have been in the Superbowl as a Colt right now. Who knows, I could be wrong but we will never know. It was the correct decision to move from Peyton, he even said it himself. We have Luck who has shown to be just as great, if not better. I would like to see Peyton win another time and retire. I like him and always will. Him and the Broncos don't "DAB" every time something good happens.

Let's see....

Peyton Manning or Cam Newton....hmmmmm I think I'll root for  Peyton.

The Colts had to do what they did, when Andrew Luck fell into their lap.

Peyton has always been a class act.

Winning a second SB helps his legacy as a player and one could argue the two defenses (2007 Colts and 2015 Broncos) were the best he has played with. What would he have won with better defenses throughout his career?

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

Osweiler out played Manning in several games, and put up much prettier stats than Manning's ugly numbers. If I was a Broncos fan, there is no way in hell I would want an old washed up former great starting in the SB, when they were a turnover machine when he started. 

1st.  Luck was not bashed by many here

2nd.  There is more to playing qb than passing the ball.    I'm sorry you don't understand that

My reasons have nothing to do with the Colts, and everything to do with Peyton.

I have followed his career since he was at UT.  He's one of the good guys.

He suffered what could have been a career ending injury, and probably would have been for most players,   but sheer determination, willpower, hard work and  love for the game... got him back to where he is.   I admire that,  I admire him,  and I want him to go out on top.

He deserves it.

And as Superman so simply stated.....    I just like him.

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

Dude, really? 

I think you're a little out of touch with things here since you're a Saints fan... For the most part, people here are a lot more apologetic for Luck than Manning these days... Because, you know, he is not the QB for our team anymore....

7 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

That ring is for the Broncos and John Elway (the smug guy who snubbed the Colts) not the Colts. His legacy as a Colt is over. He doesn't need another ring to be considered as one of the goat.

It makes the Colts look bad if, in only four years, Manning accomplishes with the Broncos (2 SB appearances and and 1 win), what took him 14 years to accomplish with the Colts. 

Broncos fans don't even appreciate Manning and didn't have to sit through all of his growing pains. I remember seeing people wanting Osweiler start for the season on their message board. 

Although he will be rembered as both, I want his best times remembered as a member of the Indianapolis Colts; the place where his NFL career was born and raised! 

I know my opinion is unpopular, but I would like to know, as Colts fans, why exactly do you want him to win the Super Bowl as a member of the Broncos? 

My reason is the pure joy he has brought to me since 1998. He is a class act, he is a great player and I have watched and cheered him through good times and bad. The Colts made themselves look bad in this situation and they shot themselves in the foot. I remain a fan although not like I used to be. I don't have any sympathy for management and I do not get the same pleasure watching Andrew Luck that I did from watching Peyton. Yes, things change but sometimes things do not change for the better and the one can just not get as emotionally involved with the present Colts as the Peyton led Colts.

7 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Because he is a good guy who also happens to be my all time favorite Colt.   His legacy as a Colt is not in danger.    

2 hours ago, Bogie said:

Bogie,

Peyton was hurt for most of the season.  I know some choose to ignore that, but it is a fact.

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong,  He is the ONLY QB who did NOT throw an interception in the Playoffs this year.   No turnovers on HIM in the playoffs.

24 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Why would it make the Colts look bad? Seriously? The Denver Broncos have some really great players and a hell of a defense. I don't think Peyton would have been in the Superbowl as a Colt right now. Who knows, I could be wrong but we will never know. It was the correct decision to move from Peyton, he even said it himself. We have Luck who has shown to be just as great, if not better. I would like to see Peyton win another time and retire. I like him and always will. Him and the Broncos don't "DAB" every time something good happens.

I do know Andre Johnson would have had a good year, and we would not be debating who to keep between Allen and Fleener If Peyton had been here.  I could say more players, but.....:)

I come down mostly on the side of the OP, but its something I struggle with.  If he wins this Super Bowl, his legacy will be as a Bronco.  A narrative has been and will be crafted about the team that callously cast aside an all time great player who went on to multiple Super Bowls with his new team in a very short period of time, and Colts fans are not going to enjoy being on the negative end of that story. 

He's gone forever.  People's reluctance to let go of him gives me concern about the loyalties of this fan base. 

14 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Dude, really? 

I think you're a little out of touch with things here since you're a Saints fan... For the most part, people here are a lot more apologetic for Luck than Manning these days... Because, you know, he is not the QB for our team anymore....

If I had a dollar for every "Colts fan" I've heard say during the last couple of years when Luck has a bad game..."See, we should have kept Peyton!", I'd be a very wealthy man.  Peyton has a lifetime free pass from Indianapolis fans.  Luck will always be the pretender to the throne in many folks eyes around here. 

7 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Bogie,

Peyton was hurt for most of the season.  I know some choose to ignore that, but it is a fact.

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong,  He is the ONLY QB who did NOT throw an interception in the Playoffs this year.   No turnovers on HIM in the playoffs.

You beat me to it Mrs. M.  The other point with this is he was 39 yrs. old and had this injury.  He will have pain in that foot the rest of his life in some way, shape, or form. :(

6 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I do know Andre Johnson would have had a good year, and we would not be debating who to keep between Allen and Fleener If Peyton had been here.  I could say more players, but.....:)

Lol Brother great point , 3 times to be exact . Still having comp problems ?

My reason is he deserves it. One of the best pros , on and off the field. Hes the best QB ive ever seen. He works his butt off in preparation . Should I go on? No was not a mistake , strictly a business decision. Mistake would be not bring him home to retire and after.

I love Peyton Manning.  Have from the moment we drafted him.  His management at the line of scrimmage is second to no one in the history of American Football.(the NFL I should say) I am old....I have been alive since the beginning.

That said, I want him to go out on a good note.  The defense needs to rattle Cam into early mistakes.  This is something Cam has not experienced in his MVP year.

I want a good close game regardless...or a Denver blowout (out happening :))  Let the game begin...so we do not have to listen/watch all of the hype. :)

26 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Bogie,

Teddy did not throw an INT in his only playoff game this year. I don't know about the others.

6 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

My reason is he deserves it. One of the best pros , on and off the field. Hes the best QB ive ever seen. He works his butt off in preparation . Should I go on? No was not a mistake , strictly a business decision. Mistake would be not bring him home to retire and after.

That won't be the Colts mistake to make regarding his retirement.  He will retire a Bronco, and that's the end of it.  He's far to classy to show it, but I'd wager a bet that he holds quite a bit of animosity towards our franchise and its owner.  If we're lucky, he'll show up for a Ring Of Honor celebration someday. 

24 minutes ago, General_Hux said:

I come down mostly on the side of the OP, but its something I struggle with.  If he wins this Super Bowl, his legacy will be as a Bronco.  A narrative has been and will be crafted about the team that callously cast aside an all time great player who went on to multiple Super Bowls with his new team in a very short period of time, and Colts fans are not going to enjoy being on the negative end of that story. 

He's gone forever.  People's reluctance to let go of him gives me concern about the loyalties of this fan base. 

Think your wrong about the Legacy , IMO he hasn't played with them long enough.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Teddy did not throw an INT in his only playoff game this year. I don't know about the others.

I stand corrected.  I know most all of the others, including Cam, threw at least one interception throughout the playoffs.   Peyton did not.    That was my point.   He has not been the turnover machine in the playoffs this year.

1 minute ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I stand corrected.    My comment still stands, only I will correct it ~  that Peyton and Teddy are the only two QB's in the playoffs to NOT throw an interception.   Peyton is the only AFC QB  with that stat.

Teddy is going to be a really good QB in this league for years to come.

3 hours ago, Bogie said:

No one is defending him. He's old so he's throwing wobblers and ducks and as a result he's intercepted more often. He was also injured and needed time to heal as his body can't make it through a full season anymore. He already won a SB throwing more INTs than TD passes in the playoffs, now you want to sit him because he threw more INTs than TDs in the regular season and act like Brock didn't fall apart against the Chargers?

As I recall, the Broncos had five turnovers against the lowly Chargers with HFA on the line with Brock in, Peyton came in relief and led three straight scoring drives, getting them to jump offsides twice. He doesn't need to throw the ball like he used to, just go up to the line with the entire playbook in his head and audible to the correct play based on what he sees which can be a run, and also get them to jump offsides. Osweiler doesn't have that ability yet, nor does he provide the emotional lift of playing with Peyton Manning that you have seen since he came in relief in week 17.

Osweiler also didn't play in the playoffs nor is he possibly retiring after the game. If you watched the Steelers game was it Peyton or the receivers fault for 6 or so drops that wouldn't have killed drives? I don't get how you start Osweiler over him, especially after what Peyton has done since he's been back and is most likely his last game.

32 minutes ago, General_Hux said:

If you don't think Peyton is going to Canton as a Colt you're sadly mistaken. You don't just erase so many years if you go out as a champ with another team. Favre played for a division rival and look at him.

As an old school guy, I have a little hitch about the word 'deserves.'  Sorry to my friends that used the word.

The NFL is not forgiving.  You have to earn a Super Bowl.  The Panthers were a superb football team this year.

I bet there are some that say Cam Newton 'deserves' it too.  Let's earn it on the field. !!!!!

That said, I never noticed my entire life that my age went right with Super Bowls until this year......50 and 50.  Cannot believe I never noticed in all of these years  I 'deserve' better. HA HA!

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

If you don't think Peyton is going to Canton as a Colt you're sadly mistaken. You don't just erase so many years if you go out as a champ with another team. Favre played for a division rival and look at him.

He will go into Canton as both a Colt and a Bronco.   That's how it works.  He will be honored for playing with both teams.   It's a fact.   It's part of his history and achievements.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Peyton isn't going into Canton as a Colt, or a Bronco, or as anything else.  This isn't the MLB Hall Of Fame, where a player has to chose a cap to go in with. 

As an old school guy, I have a little hitch about the word 'deserves.'  Sorry to my friends that used the word.

The NFL is not forgiving.  You have to earn a Super Bowl.  The Panthers were a superb football team this year.

I bet there are some that say Cam Newton 'deserves' it too.  Let's earn it on the field. !!!!!

That said, I never noticed my entire life that my age went right with Super Bowls until this year......50 and 50.  Cannot believe I never noticed in all of these years  I 'deserve' better. HA HA!

Just now, General_Hux said:

Peyton isn't going into Canton as a Colt, or a Bronco, or as anything else.  This isn't the MLB Hall Of Fame, where a player has to chose a cap to go in with. 

But by saying what you said about him being "gone forever", you don't realize he will be in the ROH in Indy and we can do the goodbye thing the right way right? He's allowed to be in the ROH in Denver but he's not the greatest player to ever play there nor did he play there for very long. It's wild how much people forget this.

The answer to this is easy for me.  I was, am, and always will be a Colt's fan 1st and foremost.  In my time as a Colt's fan, we had a man named Peyton Manning at QB.  I followed everything about the guy while he was the Colt's QB and came to realize I wasn't just rooting for him because he was the Colt's QB, but also because I came to be a fan of the person he was off the field.  Peyton is the classiest, most professional, seemingly good hearted player I have seen in my 20 years of watching the NFL.  We, as Colt's fans, were lucky to have the privilege of having Peyton be the face of our franchise for all the years he was with us.  

Now, with the Colt's out of the playoffs, me and other Colt's fans are still fans of football and the NFL.  We want to watch the games and obviously root for one team or the other in some fashion.  The obvious choice is the guy I grew up idolizing and respecting...the man, the myth, the legend....  Peyton "The Sheriff" Manning

This is a comment that a Broncos fan made:

"Well, not to rain on your parade, but your classless organization forced him out... Indy never gave him a great defense to work with... And, now your team has been so embarrassing that you put up AFC Finalist banners to make yourselves feel better after a loss... "

So essentially people think Manning hasn't won more Super Bowls because the Colts, as an organization, is inept. People forget that Manning had MANY top defenses in his time here.... 

This one of the reasons why I do not want the Broncos to win... They don't deserve it...