Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Shannon Sharpe Destryos Colin Cowherd

Fx Stryker

I like the clip you posted FX because it wasn't until I actually heard what Shannon said that he's exactly right. Why is it that no broadcaster points out the talent Brady had around him in his SB runs? Wifork, Law, Seymour, Wilfork, Moss, Welker, Bruschi, McGinest, Brown...

For years in INDY, naysayers used to say Peyton has all this talent on offense with Harrison, Wayne, Collie, Garcon, Clark...Why does he stumble in the playoffs? 

Here's where Peyton gets unfairly criticized to me. In 2013, the Broncos were known for their prolific offense & record setting touchdowns. He beats NE in the AFC Championship Game. Fast Forward to 2016, Peyton & the Broncos beat Brady & NE in the AFC Championship Game again this time on defense & all these analysts wanna talk about is how Brady was 2 points away from overtime. 

Jesus, Peyton beat NE twice in AFC Championship Games in close proximity to 1 another & Manning can't get credit for either victory in the media. They act like Tom Brady must have had the flu or something. No, he beat Foxboro twice to reach another SB. 

And before anybody says "Come on SW1 look at Von Miller, Derek Wolfe, Demarcus Ware, & Talib man. I seem to recall 2 touchdowns to Owen Daniels that were vital points in getting 18 to his 2nd SB with Denver man. 

Look, I know I've been tough on Peyton in the past, but what's he's done this year is freaking incredible man. A nagging foot injury, winning a 1st round bye thru Mile High, beating Pittsburg/Big Ben, & mentoring Brock while he healed. Hades, Manning has blown me away with his resolve & leadership. He just has. It's amazing. 

I don't think Colin hates Peyton but he's locked into the 'storyline' and he cant get out.

If playoffs matter more then regular season, Manning's 3-1 record vs Brady (although they don't play

against each other) with vastly different teammates has to figure in the equation.

Its why the 'greatest ever' debate has to wait until folks are retired..

FX, 

I can't really speak with any authority on Colin Cowherd since I don't listen to his show regularly. But, I will say this: He does indeed weaken his stance that Peyton's recent Championship run isn't all that impressive. That's why I always enjoy Shannon Sharpe because he has this uncanny ability to symbolically call an argument stupid by punching more holes in a straw man lie than a slice of swiss cheese. 

By the end of the interview, Colin realizes that Manning deserves a ton of credit for what he & the Broncos accomplished on Sunday. The older I've gotten the more I appreciate Peyton's ability to keep a defense off balance for knowing when to check out of a throwing play & into a running one for a huge 1st down. He's actually better at that now than when he took the Colts on their 2nd SB run in 2009 to me. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

FX, 

I can't really speak with any authority on Colin Cowherd since I don't listen to his show regularly. But, I will say this: He does indeed weaken his stance that Peyton's recent Championship run isn't all that impressive. That's why I always enjoy Shannon Sharpe because he has this uncanny ability to symbolically call an argument stupid by punching more holes in a straw man lie than a slice of swiss cheese. 

By the end of the interview, Colin realizes that Manning deserves a ton of credit for what he & the Broncos accomplished on Sunday. The older I've gotten the more I appreciate Peyton's ability to keep a defense off balance for knowing when to check out of a throwing play & into a running one for a huge 1st down. He's actually better at that now than when he took the Colts on their 2nd SB run in 2009 to me. 

When you hear someone dwell on 'arm strength', and hw Peyton 'Cant throw the ball 30 yards down the field' you realize they don't totally understand what an NFL QB does.

I read Denver players say that Brock Osweiler had improved because he now went to the line of scrimmage with two or three plays called and had the option and knack of checking out of a bad one.

I've also read where Peyton has the entire playbook available to him at the line.  He's only limited by how well his teammates know the 'check' calls

That's why, even with Brock being bigger, faster and stronger that Kubiak made the right move to go back to Peyton for the playoffs..

11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I don't think Colin hates Peyton but he's locked into the 'storyline' and he cant get out.

If playoffs matter more then regular season, Manning's 3-1 record vs Brady (although they don't play

against each other) with vastly different teammates has to figure in the equation.

The concept that the NFL is played as a team sport is greatly overlooked. Manning, Brady and or any other QB does not win or lose games by themselves. Sure you can win games without good QB play but a QB cant look good without players around him. We all know the media plays the scenario that Brady is the GOAT. Put Brady against the defense of the 85 Bears?  Put Manning against the Sack Pack? IMO The greatest of all time can never be answered because the talent level of the QB can only be as good as the team surrounding him. Some can say did you see what that QB did? He threw a 80 yard bomb with 30 seconds left in the game!! Well he wouldn't have threw that TD is he didn't have a line to block for him. He also wouldn't have threw that TD without a receiver to catch that TD. The only true answer to the GOAT is opinions at best. Me and you been around long enough to see a lot of so called GOATs play that's for sure.

Also, do you notice how a lot of critics this season loved to point out the number of interceptions Peyton had in 2015 17, but getting these same detractors to admit that Manning had zero picks in the Championship Game is like pulling teeth?  

They never acknowledge they were mistaken & you can't find these know it all wanna be's anywhere now. 

It's fine. Manning fans are used to it. 

1 more game to go. I've got faith in you Manning. Time to erase the 2013 campaign forever. Use it as motivation & go kick some caboose Broncos Nation just to rub it in Deion Sander's & Michael Irvin's face. God, I would so love that. Petty I know, but darn it, it's what I crave to see along with millions of others. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The concept that the NFL is played as a team sport is greatly overlooked. Manning, Brady and or any other QB does not win or lose games by themselves. Sure you can win games without good QB play but a QB cant look good without players around him. We all know the media plays the scenario that Brady is the GOAT. Put Brady against the defense of the 85 Bears?  Put Manning against the Sack Pack? IMO The greatest of all time can never be answered because the talent level of the QB can only be as good as the team surrounding him. Some can say did you see what that QB did? He threw a 80 yard bomb with 30 seconds left in the game!! Well he wouldn't have threw that TD is he didn't have a line to block for him. He also wouldn't have threw that TD without a receiver to catch that TD. The only true answer to the GOAT is opinions at best. Me and you been around long enough to see a lot of so called GOATs play that's for sure.

That's so true...CC...

What Johnny Unitas did was incredible.....checking his numbers against what others did in that day..and calling all his own plays ..,..bringing his team from behind in an era when you could do almost anything to the QB and WRs

John Elway understands Peyton because he WAS Peyton.....if you make his 2-3 Super Bowl record 5-0 and where does he rate?

I've wondered how Jim Kelly would be seen in history had Buffalo WON 4 Super Bowls instead of losing 4..

Would he be Joe Montana?   

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

His ridiculous hatred of Peyton is sad. He also made a ridiculous comment saying Pacers fans were racist a few years back, never listened to him since. He's a total jackwad.

Jackwad?  That is how I feel about most all media hounds. I don't even listen or watch hardly any of the media jerks because the true aspect of sports gets lost in the media hype.

10 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Also, do you notice how a lot of critics this season loved to point out the number of interceptions Peyton had in 2015 17, but getting these same detractors to admit that Manning had zero picks in the Championship Game is like pulling teeth?  

They never acknowledge they were mistaken & you can't find these know it all wanna be's anywhere now. 

It's fine. Manning fans are used to it. 

1 more game to go. I've got faith in you Manning. Time to erase the 2013 campaign forever. Use it as motivation & go kick some caboose Broncos Nation just to rub it in Deion Sander's & Michael Irvin's face. God, I would so love that. Petty I know, but darn it, it's what I crave to see along with millions of others. 

What I dont here about Peyton this year is ...5 come-from-behind wins...and a 9-2 record in game he started (Not counting the rally against SD)

When he had great numbers the knock was: He didn't win in the playoffs.

Now he's won 2 playoff games and the knock is: Where are the numbers?

I'm with you...this one last win would force many to admit what they already know.

Peyton is as good as anyone in this era

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Jackwad?  That is how I feel about most all media hounds. I don't even listen or watch hardly any of the media jerks because the true aspect of sports gets lost in the media hype.

I agree. I can't stand most media types but some are worse than others and Colin Cowhead is one of them.

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's so true...CC...

What Johnny Unitas did was incredible.....checking his numbers against what others did in that day..and calling all his own plays ..,..bringing his team from behind in an era when you could do almost anything to the QB and WRs

John Elway understands Peyton because he WAS Peyton.....if you make his 2-3 Super Bowl record 5-0 and where does he rate?

I've wondered how Jim Kelly would be seen in history had Buffalo WON 4 Super Bowls instead of losing 4..

Would he be Joe Montana?   

Another QB that has a bad rap is Bradshaw. No one want to give him credit for his super bowl rings because of the team he played on. He was a victim of media calling him stupid and dumb and it has followed him his whole career. When some talk about him it's always how great the steel curtain was and he wouldn't have won anything without them. Well Bradshaw does have two super bowl MVPs that were won regardless of the steel curtain. I jus bring this up as an example of what the media says and reality. :)

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

What I dont here about Peyton this year is ...5 come-from-behind wins...and a 9-2 record in game he started (Not counting the rally against SD)

When he had great numbers the knock was: He didn't win in the playoffs.

Now he's won 2 playoff games and the knock is: Where are the numbers?

I'm with you...this one last win would force many to admit what they already know.

Peyton is as good as anyone in this era

Amen brother. Amen. Exactly OUM. Peyton gets to 2 SBs with a franchise in Colorado & he gets slammed for record setting touchdowns & a SB appearance & now more emphasis on the ground game as well as a smothering defense/secondary & another SB appearance...

Time to give Manning some major props...4 SBs in 1 QB's career doesn't just happen by accident as you know.  

Go Peyton, time to seal your legacy going out a Champion! A win would give him 2 SB wins which puts him in an Elite group. Only 10 QB's in NFL history have won 2 or more as a starter. 5 League MVP's = most ever, Most Regular Season Passing Yards, Most Regular Season TD's Passing, 3-1 vs Tom Brady in AFC Title Games. If he can win this SB that is one hell of a resume to fall back on! Plus beating a Very Good team like Carolina would be real impressive. Best way possible to retire IMO!

Maybe it's not the right thing to say but if Carson Palmer had a horrible night at the NFC Championship Game then perhaps Cam Newton can have an erratic night on Feb. 7th too. 

Nothing against Superman of course, I just wanna see some Denver coverage sack kryptonite. Lackluster performances can happen to any QB at anytime just saying...

I'm not promoting voodoo or bad sports ethics BTW only that jitters & inexperience often accompany 1 another in Lombardi Trophy main events. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Maybe it's not the right thing to say but if Carson Palmer had a horrible night at the NFC Championship Game then perhaps Cam Newton can have an erratic night on Feb. 7th too. 

Nothing against Superman of course, I just wanna see some Denver coverage sack kryptonite. Lackluster performances can happen to any QB at anytime just saying...

I'm not promoting voodoo or bad sports ethics BTW only that jitters & inexperience often accompany 1 another in Lombardi Trophy main events. 

The way everyone is talking up Cam like he is Superman, I almost feel like It's Drago vs Rocky. Cam being Drago and Peyton being the older Rocky haha The media is all over Carolina's stuff! Denver will win it all and I have said it from day 1 so the media can hype up Cam all they want. Just like I said Denver would beat the Patriots too when everyone on ESPN and the NFL Channel took the Pats. Geez when wont these people learn.

6 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Would he be Joe Montana?   

I've always wondered this as well. The whole rings comparison thing drives me absolutely insane with the general public. It's always the quick go to in a discussion. Why can't people realize just how difficult it is to win the big one? So many variables are in play... 

26 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I've always wondered this as well. The whole rings comparison thing drives me absolutely insane with the general public. It's always the quick go to in a discussion. Why can't people realize just how difficult it is to win the big one? So many variables are in play... 

Amen. My comeback as far as the ring thing: How many rings would Brady have with mediocre defenses and another coach? 

When you look back at Peyton's losses in the playoffs, many times, it came down to bad defenses and special teams that the Colts had. Very few losses were because Peyton had a bad day and when he did, it was due in large part, to playing great defenses.

Peyton has a better completion percentage than Brady in the playoffs. In some games, he was over 80%.

This Superbowl is setting up to be the best of his career. I'm hearing so much hype about the Panthers, it's like it's a given they will beat Denver. I'm loving it, because in light of how well Carolina is playing there are two things that are being dismissed: Peyton's ability to adjust in game and Denver's defense. 

It's easy to "have fun" and celebrate when you are winning. Let's see how Carolina (and Cam in particular), handles losing.

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Personally to me the only thing that counts is personal stats. Games and championships are a team stat, and can only be achieved by an entire team,  not one person.  

Even personal stats aren't acheived by yourself, but its the closest thing you have.  Coaching is another big thing.  If brady played on amother team, would he be as good.  It is a valid question because if matt cassel can go 10-6, then coaching was a big part of NE being so good.

2 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Personally to me the only thing that counts is personal stats. Games and championships are a team stat, and can only be achieved by an entire team,  not one person.  

Even personal stats aren't acheived by yourself, but its the closest thing you have.  Coaching is another big thing.  If brady played on amother team, would he be as good.  It is a valid question because if matt cassel can go 10-6, then coaching was a big part of NE being so good.

League MVP's are key too, that is who is voted the best player In the league basically and Peyton has won it 5 times. I think that, Rings won are important too, and Stats should be factored in all together when ranking players.

Mentioned in another thread but deserves mention here. The narrative was written long ago and people are too lazy to do research and look at it at a granular level

The losses in the playoffs that he gets blamed for

- Non-first round playoff exits - NEx2, NO, SEA

All won the SB, including one team they had to change the rules on for DPI and another was a complete blowout despite PM completing the most SB passes in a single game at the time. Only two QBs in history won a playoff game at NE (Flacco & Sanchez)

9 one and dones - two were not close (NYJ before his prime and Indy last year when everyone said he was done)

- 7 of 9 were by less than one score. call him "not clutch" but....

--Vanderjagt misses a FG against Miami and Pitt = two wins erased (Pitt won the SB)

--Dallas Clark drops third down game sealing pass vs SD, we punt and they score and win

--PM's last game in Indy, scores what should be the winning score, defense gives up entire field in under a minute to Mark Sanchez and they win on a FG (NYJ beats the Pats next week)

--Champ Bailey gets TORCHED in the final minute of the game on a hail mary in PM's first playoff game for Denver (BAL won the SB)

Four different coaches on two different teams (two were fired after reaching SB w him), not one coach who is the greatest of all time. Finally has the defensive pieces minus Freeney/Mathis/Sanders of 06 vs the guy who won on the backs of Bruschi, Seymour, Vrabel, Wilfork, Law, Harrison, and the foot of Adam V. Also whose opponents are still crying foul to this day over who knew the plays that were coming and were subsequently penalized a ton of money and a first round pick.

Gostkowski missing that XP to Peyton is the equivalent to the luck Brady has seen in the tuck rule, Evans catching the winning TD pass then having it knocked out of his hands when he landed, Cundiff shanking a chipshot, and Carroll calling for a throw on the goal line with the best back in football in his backfield. Also the same luck Eli had on the helmet catch. Finally something broke his way in the playoffs and finally he has a complete team that he can manage instead of put the game on his back.

One team went 11-5 without their QB, the other went 2-14.

AFC Championships - "Choker" 3, "Greatest of all time" 1. Hasn't lost to him in 11 years when it counts. Don't even need to look at career and playoff stats which PM owns. Would be funny to see how many more SBs NE wins if PM played for the best coach and a great complete team, and whatever else they did that they got penalized draft picks for.

Even if he doesn't win next Sunday I wouldn't change a single thing.

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

League MVP's are key too, that is who is voted the best player In the league basically and Peyton has won it 5 times. I think that, Rings won are important too, and Stats should be factored in all together when ranking players.

I disagree.  Rings are a team accomplishment.  Not one player has ever won the superbowl by themselves.  If anything that is THE single most team accomplishment in US sports.   MVP's possibly but they are based on stats and if your team wins.  If it was individual accomplishments alone JJ Watt should have had the NFL MVP last year.  (Last year right? ) 

8 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Mentioned in another thread but deserves mention here. The narrative was written long ago and people are too lazy to do research and look at it at a granular level

The losses in the playoffs that he gets blamed for

- Non-first round playoff exits - NEx2, NO, SEA

All won the SB, including one team they had to change the rules on for DPI and another was a complete blowout despite PM completing the most SB passes in a single game at the time. Only two QBs in history won a playoff game at NE (Flacco & Sanchez)

9 one and dones - two were not close (NYJ before his prime and Indy last year when everyone said he was done)

- 7 of 9 were by less than one score. call him "not clutch" but....

--Vanderjagt misses a FG against Miami and Pitt = two wins erased (Pitt won the SB)

--Dallas Clark drops third down game sealing pass vs SD, we punt and they score and win

--PM's last game in Indy, scores what should be the winning score, defense gives up entire field in under a minute to Mark Sanchez and they win on a FG (NYJ beats the Pats next week)

--Champ Bailey gets TORCHED in the final minute of the game on a hail mary in PM's first playoff game for Denver (BAL won the SB)

Four different coaches on two different teams (two were fired after reaching SB w him), not one coach who is the greatest of all time. Finally has the defensive pieces minus Freeney/Mathis/Sanders of 06 vs the guy who won on the backs of Bruschi, Seymour, Vrabel, Wilfork, Law, Harrison, and the foot of Adam V. Also whose opponents are still crying foul to this day over who knew the plays that were coming and were subsequently penalized a ton of money and a first round pick.

Gostkowski missing that XP to Peyton is the equivalent to the luck Brady has seen in the tuck rule, Evans catching the winning TD pass then having it knocked out of his hands when he landed, Cundiff shanking a chipshot, and Carroll calling for a throw on the goal line with the best back in football in his backfield. Also the same luck Eli had on the helmet catch. Finally something broke his way in the playoffs and finally he has a complete team that he can manage instead of put the game on his back.

One team went 11-5 without their QB, the other went 2-14.

AFC Championships - "Choker" 3, "Greatest of all time" 1. Hasn't lost to him in 11 years when it counts. Don't even need to look at career and playoff stats which PM owns. Would be funny to see how many more SBs NE wins if PM played for the best coach and a great complete team, and whatever else they did that they got penalized draft picks for.

Even if he doesn't win next Sunday I wouldn't change a single thing.

Yup,  nobody talks about his playoff losses that were lost by the defense.  Over half of them were lost by the defense with less than a minute remaining. 

8 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Yup,  nobody talks about his playoff losses that were lost by the defense.  Over half of them were lost by the defense with less than a minute remaining. 

If you have to pick one QB to win the game for you, you can't even answer that when you look at the teams and coaches involved. I'd pick PM if BB was his coach. I wouldn't pick TB if BB wasn't his coach. I'd pick TB if he had Denver's D, I wouldn't pick PM if he had the Colts D. After going 9-0 to 3 SBs on the backs of those defenses and the foot of AV, plus the other stuff they got fined for, they are one handoff from not winning anything in over a decade. The "who would you rather have with the game on the line" question in the NFL is just to start a debate.

16 hours ago, Fx Stryker said:

Putting the topic aside, this is a great watch. Never has Colin ever backed down from an argument. The blank stare and look of defeat is truly amazing to watch on someone who has such a big head, and thinks he is always right.

It looks like he has tears in his eyes.

16 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I like the clip you posted FX because it wasn't until I actually heard what Shannon said that he's exactly right. Why is it that no broadcaster points out the talent Brady had around him in his SB runs? Wifork, Law, Seymour, Wilfork, Moss, Welker, Bruschi, McGinest, Brown...

Gronk, Edelman, Talib, REVIS a dynamite offensive line every season and the best coach in NFL history.

The O-line coach the Pats had for the longest time retired a few years ago. (Dante Scarnecchia 2000-2013)  Since his departure they haven't quite been the fortress they've been, but they've still been in the top half of the league. This year they probably would have been good again, but the injuries REALLY caught up with them.

Brady has or had  the best TE in history, the best coach in history, and the best WR in history. (Moss)  I say Moss because unlike Rice he didn't use stickum. Also two players who were born to play the slot (Welker/Edelman) and excel at it probably better than anyone.   That's not even counting his defensive players or great special teams. (IMO Revis is the best corner ever)

7 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I disagree.  Rings are a team accomplishment.  Not one player has ever won the superbowl by themselves.  If anything that is THE single most team accomplishment in US sports.   MVP's possibly but they are based on stats and if your team wins.  If it was individual accomplishments alone JJ Watt should have had the NFL MVP last year.  (Last year right? ) 

You do have a point but I think being a key part of SB wins is important. I am not totally disagreeing with you because Football is the ultimate team game. Stats only measure so much though, it doesn't measure how a player plays in the Clutch and so on.

The last couple years Brady has been demonstrably better, yet Peyton beat him. It's almost as if a QB's ability shouldn't be measured by wins, but by their effect on the team. For me the best measuring stick is how their respective teams did without them; 2008 Pats VS 2011 Colts. Peyton's stats don't matter, Brady's rings don't matter. 

When I was single, I was on ESPN all of the time the time (I know, shoot me :))  Watched Mike and Mike...then I went to Colin Cowherd.  I grew to like how brash he was...not being afraid to say stuff to rattle cages.  Besides If I did not watch him I would have to watch Skip Bayless. :no:

Cowherd made sense on most of the things he said, but he would go off on a tangent with zero knowledge of the teams, statistics.  Very unprepared.

Since he moved to Fox Sports1, I think he is a total *** hat.  His ego has gone to his head.  I will not even turn on the show.  I am glad someone put him in his place  As a talk show host gets more known they tend to let it go to their heads.  Cowherd is the perfect example of this.  

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

The last couple years Brady has been demonstrably better,

Sorry, in what way has Brady been better?

Manning has a better completion percentage, better yards per game, better TD percentage, better rating, more head to head playoff wins, more MVPs, more Super Bowl trips, more 1st Pro all-team selections, more offensive player of the weeks.

Brady has a Super Bowl win, and throws less interceptions.