Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano comments on the new staff changes

RockThatBlue

He also suggested there could be some scheme changes with the defense. Probably nothing drastic, but basically saying that they'll possibly do some new things. I would think that means they'll keep emphasizing penetration up front, which was new in 2015, and it might mean some new coverages.

50 minutes ago, Superman said:

He also suggested there could be some scheme changes with the defense. Probably nothing drastic, but basically saying that they'll possibly do some new things. I would think that means they'll keep emphasizing penetration up front, which was new in 2015, and it might mean some new coverages.

Maybe they'll finally start using the traditional FS/SS combo? Because I remember Grigs saying Pagano likes them interchangeable where there is no true FS or SS.

I feel like they need to let Geathers start at SS and leave Adams at FS. They can mix and match at times but I'd like to see them open with a standard safety set. Watching Adams and Lowerey try and play box safety is painful.

33 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Maybe they'll finally start using the traditional FS/SS combo? Because I remember Grigs saying Pagano likes them interchangeable where there is no true FS or SS.

I feel like they need to let Geathers start at SS and leave Adams at FS. They can mix and match at times but I'd like to see them open with a standard safety set. Watching Adams and Lowerey try and play box safety is painful.

That's one of the things I thought about. Also maybe using more hybrid coverage guys, like nickel safeties and stuff, to really get players like Geathers into the game. Seeing how the Cardinals are using Deone Buchanon and how the Rams are using Mark Barron, we should be able to fit some of these athletes into the defense and let them make plays. 

A player like Jeremy Cash is going to be good in the NFL, but he's not an 'interchangeable safety.' If you're going to dispatch him in ways that take advantage of his raw abilities, then you'll get your money's worth, but if not, you're wasting a pick. 

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's one of the things I thought about. Also maybe using more hybrid coverage guys, like nickel safeties and stuff, to really get players like Geathers into the game. Seeing how the Cardinals are using Deone Buchanon and how the Rams are using Mark Barron, we should be able to fit some of these athletes into the defense and let them make plays. 

A player like Jeremy Cash is going to be good in the NFL, but he's not an 'interchangeable safety.' If you're going to dispatch him in ways that take advantage of his raw abilities, then you'll get your money's worth, but if not, you're wasting a pick. 

Yeah the coverage packages were always pretty basic under Manusky I thought. It didn't seem like they ever tried to disguise coverages or mix it up. Not just Bucannon, but the way the cardinals also use Mathieu as a nickel CB and safety is also really good.

But a guy like Geathers needs to be in the box, hitting anything that moves. A guy like Lowery should be dropping back into a zone to play the deep ball.

Like you said, maximize a player's strength. Adams an Lowery are great when they drop back and "roam" while Geathers is good near the line and in the intermediate zone. But we could also mix it up. If we got an athletic LB who could cover TEs, it would really open up or D. The play that Miller made in the AFC Championship against Gronk was a thing of beauty.

23 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah the coverage packages were always pretty basic under Manusky I thought. It didn't seem like they ever tried to disguise coverages or mix it up. Not just Bucannon, but the way the cardinals also use Mathieu as a nickel CB and safety is also really good.

But a guy like Geathers needs to be in the box, hitting anything that moves. A guy like Lowery should be dropping back into a zone to play the deep ball.

Like you said, maximize a player's strength. Adams an Lowery are great when they drop back and "roam" while Geathers is good near the line and in the intermediate zone. But we could also mix it up. If we got an athletic LB who could cover TEs, it would really open up or D. The play that Miller made in the AFC Championship against Gronk was a thing of beauty.

Knowing that we've lacked athleticism across the middle, it's very important that they figure out something there. And there's still a difference between athleticism and coverage ability, so we can't just throw fast guys out there and think we're good.

48 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's a column. Holder picked out the bits he wanted and put them in his article. We don't know everything Pagano said, and won't unless Holder decides to transcribe the entire conversation.

Right on...I just find it funny when people get bent out of shape over coach speak.  I've never had a problem with Pagano nor his press conferences..they're typically exactly what I'd expect.  

Just now, Jason_S said:

Right on...I just find it funny when people get bent out of shape over coach speak.  I've never had a problem with Pagano nor his press conferences..they're typically exactly what I'd expect.  

McAfee said recently that he knows Pagano goes full coachspeak during pressers, but that he's not really that way with the team. That's not really surprising, but it was good to hear a member of the team say that.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

McAfee said recently that he knows Pagano goes full coachspeak during pressers, but that he's not really that way with the team. That's not really surprising, but it was good to hear a member of the team say that.

Yeah, it's really not advantageous, in any way, to speak in any other mode, but coackspeak, to the media.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I took note of that too! A bit of a relief to read that comment, to be honest. 

11 hours ago, MTC said:

That's such a generic comment about hiring a new coach. 

That's one thing I don't like about Pagano.  During pressers 75% of what he says is all generic.  Obviously you don't want to divulge information but you don't have to be bland

3 hours ago, bradgt04 said:

That's one thing I don't like about Pagano.  During pressers 75% of what he says is all generic.  Obviously you don't want to divulge information but you don't have to be bland

There's a right way to do it IMO. I think Mike Tomlin is a good example. He's not shy to tell people when a loss was embarrassing and when certain position groups didn't play well. He does it without putting down the players.

The wrong way to do it is how John Harbaugh did earlier this year when they lost to the Bengals . He said " Yeah it'd be great if we could figure out how to cover AJ Green finally" which  basically threw the DBs, DC, and DB coaches under the bus.

3 hours ago, bradgt04 said:

With the way the media will grasp on to absolutely anything they can and twist it to whatever is necessary to make headlines and generate clicks...I'd be as bland as possible too.  

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There's a right way to do it IMO. I think Mike Tomlin is a good example. He's not shy to tell people when a loss was embarrassing and when certain position groups didn't play well. He does it without putting down the players.

The wrong way to do it is how John Harbaugh did earlier this year when they lost to the Bengals . He said " Yeah it'd be great if we could figure out how to cover AJ Green finally" which  basically threw the DBs, DC, and DB coaches under the bus.

I just hate getting lied to. Players aren't on their death beds, also if Luck doesn't plan on coming back any time soon stop saying he's trending upwards. It's like the NHL playoffs where people get injured and you don't hear about what they have until the team is eliminated.

8 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I just hate getting lied to. Players aren't on their death beds, also if Luck doesn't plan on coming back any time soon stop saying he's trending upwards. It's like the NHL playoffs where people get injured and you don't hear about what they have until the team is eliminated.

Just keep in mind that the other NFL teams are getting the same information we are.  So if Pagano suggests that Luck is improving and could be back any day, then that forces other teams (ie. upcoming opponents) to not completely discard the possibility of Luck playing.  

It'd be great if Pagano could get true information to us, the Colt fans, without letting that information get to the other NFL teams, but that's simply not possible.  So I'd rather he keep other teams guessing, screwing with their gameplanning, even if it means it leaves me guessing as well.

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Just keep in mind that the other NFL teams are getting the same information we are.  So if Pagano suggests that Luck is improving and could be back any day, then that forces other teams (ie. upcoming opponents) to not completely discard the possibility of Luck playing.  

It'd be great if Pagano could get true information to us, the Colt fans, without letting that information get to the other NFL teams, but that's simply not possible.  So I'd rather he keep other teams guessing, screwing with their gameplanning, even if it means it leaves me guessing as well.

I guess so. I think of it for the NHL like the bruin who had broken ribs in the playoffs or the Ranger who had a broken foot last year, good idea to not bring that up so they can't be targeted. The other Ranger took a shot to the head in the first round and couldn't speak or walk for days but they gave no info on him, if he isn't coming back just come out with it. Same went for Luck and his injury. I think each NFL team has the doctors and medical people to know the injuries and how long they realistically take to come back from so it's not like you are hiding and screwing with the other team's gameplan.

8 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I guess so. I think of it for the NHL like the bruin who had broken ribs in the playoffs or the Ranger who had a broken foot last year, good idea to not bring that up so they can't be targeted. The other Ranger took a shot to the head in the first round and couldn't speak or walk for days but they gave no info on him, if he isn't coming back just come out with it. Same went for Luck and his injury. I think each NFL team has the doctors and medical people to know the injuries and how long they realistically take to come back from so it's not like you are hiding and screwing with the other team's gameplan.

Of course they do, but not every injury is the same nor is one injury necessarily as severe as the next.  They reported Luck had a lacerated kidney.  How deep was the laceration?  How long was it?  Is there any infection?  A "laceration" could be anything from a couple of millimeters to several inches.  These are just a few questions off the top of my head, and I have no medical training whatsoever.  But without that more specific information (which is only accessible to Luck's actual doctors, not the doctors of the other 31 NFL Teams) there's no way to determine how long it will take him to return.  

So yes, it is like screwing with the other team's game plan.  If they don't announce that Luck is officially out, then the other team has to take into consideration the possibility that he could play.  Why give them that information any sooner than is absolutely necessary?

8 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Of course they do, but not every injury is the same nor is one injury necessarily as severe as the next.  They reported Luck had a lacerated kidney.  How deep was the laceration?  How long was it?  Is there any infection?  These are just a few questions off the top of my head, and I have no medical training whatsoever.  But without that more specific information (which is only accessible to Luck's actual doctors, not the doctors of the other 31 NFL Teams) there's no way to determine how long it will take him to return.  

So yes, it is like screwing with the other team's game plan.  If they don't announce that Luck is officially out, then the other team has to take into consideration the possibility that he could play.  Why give them that information any sooner than is absolutely necessary?

You are right, as a fan I just hated hearing "trending upward" every week during a tight division race when we were pulling wins out of our you know whats.

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I guess you are right, as a fan I just hated hearing "trending upward" every week during a tight division race when we were pulling wins out of our you know whats.

I don't understand....we had an intelligent back and forth conversation about differing opinions, and after both opinions were expressed, you realized that there was some merit to the view you were originally opposed to.  Am I in the right place???  IS THIS THE TWILIGHT ZONE??????  I's SCURRED!!!!!!  :runforhills:

lol..seriously though...if everyone around here showed the same level of open mindedness, how much better would this forum be? :) 

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

I don't understand....we had an intelligent back and forth conversation about differing opinions, and after both opinions were expressed, you realized that there was some merit to the view you were originally opposed to.  Am I in the right place???  IS THIS THE TWILIGHT ZONE??????  I's SCURRED!!!!!!  :runforhills:

lol..seriously though...if everyone around here showed the same level of open mindedness, how much better would this forum be? :) 

Lol I even went back before you replied and changed it to "You are right" because you are. I'm just an annoying fan that wants to be as close to the huddle as can be.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

I understand. For whatever reason the Colts are a lot less transparent with things than other teams are. I saw a handful of QBs get injured this season and the HC came out and fully disclosed the injuries.

I don't think it's Pagano though. It's probably Irsay. Remember how Peyton could play any week now? I don't think this is a Pagano problem.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I understand. For whatever reason the Colts are a lot less transparent with things than other teams are. I saw a handful of QBs get injured this season and the HC came out and fully disclosed the injuries.

I don't think it's Pagano though. It's probably Irsay. Remember how Peyton could play any week now? I don't think this is a Pagano problem.

It's primarily an Irsay and Belichick thing. Most NFL teams just report the injuries and be done with it. Irsay likes to talk about injuries like they're some unexplainable phenomenon with no set timeline or way to identify exactly what they are, and Belichick will put a guy on the injury report for a broken nail.

On 1/28/2016 at 5:43 PM, MTC said:

Well, I thought Pagano would go more in-depth than just one sentence. 

He edited out the "ums" and "you knows" that originally made it a two page remark. I truly wish the team the best good fortune, but I'm afraid I don't have much confidence in either Pagano or Grigson. We'll see.