Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What celebrations are bad sportsmanship?

coltsfeva

Webster's definition of sportsmanship: fair play, respect for opponents, and gracious behavior in winning or losing.

Some would argue that in the NFL, it's "tough nuggies" when someone celebrates excessively. If they don't want to see that, then stop them.

But where is the line that separates  appropriate and inappropriate celebrations? The NFL, by rule has outlawed taunting, using props and group celebrations (remember the Colts kickoffs that were outlawed)? So, those aspects pretty well defined.

Personally, because football is a team sport, I don't like any celebration that tries to isolate an individual as being the sole reason for a play, including:

fist pounding to the chest

running away from a sack to point to oneself

T.Y.

Superman

Discount double-check

etc, etc, etc.

You made the play because someone blocked or occupied an opposing player. A celebration is merely an expression of praise. So, is a player praising themselves? If so, to me that is kind of short-sided.  As far as TD celebrations:  I don't think there is anything wrong with a the Lambeau Leap or Carolina giving footballs to children.

I think Walter Payton put it best: "When you get in the end zone, act like you've been there before." Well said Walter.

I was never bothered by the old TD celebrations like the Icky Shuffle and the Dirty Birds dance. I think the NFL has come down too hard on TD celebrations.

On the other hand, I'm annoyed by some of the first down celebrations. Players today are making celebratory gestures when they make a first down early in the first quarter. 

I generally am pretty open minded about player celebrations, but anything that prolongs the game or guys gyrating the ground or in a suggestive position is ridiculous.  Stupid and childish.  Most other stuff I'm okay with - the funnier the better.  But if I had one requirement above all, i'ts that if your dance is so ridiculous that no one can explain what it is, you should be required to describe what was going through your head or what you were intimating.  

Just FYI - still one of my all-time favorite end zone celebrations:

gronkspike.gif

3 hours ago, bababooey said:

IMO sack dances and first down celebrations when your team is getting blown out should be banned. Lookin at you OBJ.

I'm struggling to figure the first down celebration OBJ does, that 90% of WRs don't do.

I know some just don't like him, but I'm at a loss on this reason.

Just now, buccolts said:

I'm struggling to figure the first down celebration OBJ does, that 90% of WRs don't do.

I know some just don't like him, but I'm at a loss on this reason.

I love his ability, but he's immature. He got too big too fast. Teams know they can get under his skin (Rams last year and Panthers this year). He plays on a losing team but doesn't care about it. Just wants to keep his stats up and get paid.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

I love his ability, but he's immature. He got too big too fast. Teams know they can get under his skin (Rams last year and Panthers this year). He plays on a losing team but doesn't care about it. Just wants to keep his stats up and get paid.

So, you're still thinking about the answer to the quetion?

Yes, I think he's one of the most talented WRs in the league.

Immature? Yes, as are many, and he doesn't wear it well, but he's young.

Rams & Panthers demonstrate a bully mentality to the field, and provoke retaliation. OJB does need to get that under control.

To your last two sentences: Don't forget that's just your oppinion, unless you're really close to him.

5 minutes ago, buccolts said:

So, you're still thinking about the answer to the quetion?

Yes, I think he's one of the most talented WRs in the league.

Immature? Yes, as are many, and he doesn't wear it well, but he's young.

Rams & Panthers demonstrate a bully mentality to the field, and provoke retaliation. OJB does need to get that under control.

To your last two sentences: Don't forget that's just your oppinion, unless you're really close to him.

I can think of a lot of things he did to hurt the team just this year, like getting suspended as well as sending the FG unit off the field against the Jets as the crowd went crazy for them to go for it, they went for it on 4th and goal on the 1 and threw a pick and ended up losing the game. He needs to let the coaches coach and stop sabotaging his team. Coughlin would have had him in check but he got soft over the years/was coaching for his job and needed the best guy on the field.

3 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I can think of a lot of things he did to hurt the team just this year, like getting suspended as well as sending the FG unit off the field against the Jets as the crowd went crazy for them to go for it, they went for it on 4th and goal on the 1 and threw a pick and ended up losing the game. He needs to let the coaches coach and stop sabotaging his team. Coughlin would have had him in check but he got soft over the years/was coaching for his job and needed the best guy on the field.

He definitely needs to grow up, and be put in his place, but I don't see him a being a bad kid.

He's certainly a guy who couldn't handle his fame so soon.

Then there's Johnny Football, who can't handle it, and he's done nothing to deserve it(fame, that is).

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

Then there's Johnny Football, who can't handle it, and he's done nothing to deserve it(fame, that is).

College football is life to a lot of people in the south, and he was a hero at A&M. The cult of Johnny Football largely stems there.

Just now, buccolts said:

Poor kid. Well, maybe he'll get lucky and end up with the Cowboys.

There was a story floating around a couple years ago that Jerry Jones actually had his name on the draft card and was walking to turn it in, but his son stopped him on his way there and talked him out of it.

Found it: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/18/6032989/johnny-manziel-jerry-jones-nfl-draft-cowboys

14 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I don't have a problem with guys celebrating when they make a play. They work hard and it's an emotional sport. The more outlandish the better, these aren't robots we're watching.

key-and-peele-touchdown-celebration.gif?

This. Some people would rather we just watch guys play the game and not have fun. Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

I don't have a problem with guys celebrating when they make a play. They work hard and it's an emotional sport. The more outlandish the better, these aren't robots we're watching.

key-and-peele-touchdown-celebration.gif?

No one works so hard that they should be pretend shooting their buddies with their privates.  NO ONE.

I think anything that doesn't really taunt your opponent is ok. 

Team celebrations are the best.  Anything the whole team can get in on is the best IMO but I don't mind individual player celebrations as long as they don't take too long and arn't taunting.

I can respect a guy who just hands the football over and runs back to the sidelines though.  You don't need to celebrate. . . it's just ok if you do as long as you have limits.  

16 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

It's from a Key and Peele sketch, don't be so PC.

First off, I was being heavily sarcastic (though, if your'e - as in the football player, not you personally -  going to act like an *, you shouldn't be surprised when people treat you like one).  Second, what the heck is a Key and Peele, anyway?  

Celebrating is fine, especially creative ones. I do miss Chad....

I loved this little Icelandic team that got very creative in their team celebrations one season, sorry I know it's the "wrong" type of football:

However getting in an opponents face post play isn't celebrating, it's taunting. 

15 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Celebrating is fine, especially creative ones. I do miss Chad....

I loved this little Icelandic team that got very creative in their team celebrations one season, sorry I know it's the "wrong" type of football:

However getting in an opponents face post play isn't celebrating, it's taunting. 

Lol these are hilarious.  The Monmouth bench kids are pretty hilarious, too.

8 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Webster's definition of sportsmanship: fair play, respect for opponents, and gracious behavior in winning or losing.

Some would argue that in the NFL, it's "tough nuggies" when someone celebrates excessively. If they don't want to see that, then stop them.

But where is the line that separates  appropriate and inappropriate celebrations? The NFL, by rule has outlawed taunting, using props and group celebrations (remember the Colts kickoffs that were outlawed)? So, those aspects pretty well defined.

Personally, because football is a team sport, I don't like any celebration that tries to isolate an individual as being the sole reason for a play, including:

fist pounding to the chest

running away from a sack to point to oneself

T.Y.

Superman

Discount double-check

etc, etc, etc.

You made the play because someone blocked or occupied an opposing player. A celebration is merely an expression of praise. So, is a player praising themselves? If so, to me that is kind of short-sided.  As far as TD celebrations:  I don't think there is anything wrong with a the Lambeau Leap or Carolina giving footballs to children.

I think Walter Payton put it best: "When you get in the end zone, act like you've been there before." Well said Walter.

I'm with you here, coltsfeva.100%. "Sweetness" was right! Act like you've been there before. I'm too old-schooled, I guess. Celebrate all you want to. AFTER the game. Quit acting like kindergarteners on the field of play & respect the team you're playing against. Personally, I can do without all the hoop-lah that goes on after good plays or TDs. Too much of it, IMO. 

You want to play a kid's game like MEN? Start acting like it.

50 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

First off, I was being heavily sarcastic (though, if your'e - as in the football player, not you personally -  going to act like an *, you shouldn't be surprised when people treat you like one).  Second, what the heck is a Key and Peele, anyway?  

They're on Comedy Central. I'd post the video but it's a little inappropriate.

I remember when the Pats made fun of the Chargers in the middle of the field after they beat them in the playoffs in early 2007. Which I admit was kinda funny since then it inspired the Tomlinson "I hate the Patriots so much they are evil meanie heads" rant. 

hqdefault.jpg

Also if I remember right, Marvin Harrison spiked the ball and it hit Mike Vrabel in the head when we played there in 2006? lmao

I could go on all night with this stuff.

I love it at times. The celebrations, the goofiness and the anger back at it all when it's against your team.

Look, I get the market yourself as an individual athlete for a life after football since the League makes a fortune off of marquee players. So, why not a get a slice of advertising pie while the getting is good? 

I just don't care for routines that involve 3 or more players like a Broadway production. I'm all for cutting loose. Just don't come across as putting more time in your skit than say getting distracted too early in the game which distracts focus. 

I'm still a Jerry Rice "Act like you've been there before guy" but I understand social media too & I've softened my stance on this. To me, greatness needs no showboating but I also know some guys & their personalities need to do the routine end zone dance to get rid of their performance anxieties too. 

I'm somewhere in the middle. I won't do it; but I won't crucify somebody else who needs the spotlight to thrive & excel. 

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Look, I get the market yourself as an individual athlete for a life after football since the League makes a fortune off of marquee players. So, why not a get a slice of advertising pie while the getting is good? 

I just don't care for routines that involve 3 or more players like a Broadway production. I'm all for cutting loose. Just don't come across as putting more time in your skit than say getting distracted too early in the game which distracts focus. 

I'm still a Jerry Rice "Act like you've been there before guy" but I understand social media too & I've softened my stance on this. To me, greatness needs no showboating but I also know some guys & their personalities need to do the routine end zone dance to get rid of their performance anxieties too. 

I'm somewhere in the middle. I won't do it; but I won't crucify somebody else who needs the spotlight to thrive & excel. 

1.  Celebrations can be O.K., but the ones that are taunting, and self promoting, are the ones that really bother me.

2. 'Act like you've been there before': It's amazing how many people are credited for that quote. It's as old as dirt, and I'm certain it predates even my high school coach.

3. Performance Anxieties: There's a pill for that. Maybe some of these guys should take it if it makes them feel better about themselves.